PDA

View Full Version : Smoked and ESC would like some Advice before buying another one....

Charlie Hegelheimer
03-07-2016, 06:15 PM
So Im running a Traxxas Spartan I picked up for free with bad motor but had a good T180V1/2 Esc. I replaced the motor with a TP 4060 1720KV running dual 6s8kmah in parallel with Prather s215 (Stock Prop size just SS rather than the plastic one). This setup was running really good until it flipped and the esc was never the same after being submerged. This set up never got very hot even on long runs (20+min with the 16000 mah). I replaced the older 180A esc with the new V3 version b/c the original had done so well, after every run the 180AV3 esc and motor was now VERY VERY hot. Nothing had changed other than the ESC but now the motor and esc were getting incredibly hot I couldn't figure it out. Went and met some guys at a local pond and one guy let me try a 3 blade prop (not sure exactly which one it was) but he told me it was the equivalent to my prather prop. Either way after running it for about 2 min the ESC smoked really really and leaving burn/smoke and soot on the hatch and hull. after inspection the positive wire coming out of the ESC and connecting to the batteries had completely un seated itself OUT of the ESC. I have not even tried to put the wire back in (beyond my experience to do so). So now I'm thinking i would like to replace this ESC and would really like some of the amazing knowledge this forum has to help get this thing back to a very reliable set up.

So Im wondering what the best ESC would be for a Spartan hull with:
TP 4060 1720KV
6s 16kmah
upgraded drive line and hardware
Prather 215 SS prop

would also like to prop up to a Prater 220 if you guys think it would be safe to do so.

thank you guys

cheers.

zooma
03-07-2016, 08:00 PM
1720kv is kind of high for 6S. Current spikes might have done it.
Default timing on new ESC might have been too much for that combo.
Prather B215 should not be much of a strain.
B220 should work, it's close to an Octura M445.

Might want to try a Swordfish 240 set on automatic timing.

trigger
03-07-2016, 08:12 PM
Do the basics first, check the drive line for binding, cooling lines for blockage, things sometimes move after a crash, check everything is nice and free so that you can be sure there is no other force at play before spending $$ on fixes. Then start on the hardware from there, short runs and check check check.

Peter A
03-07-2016, 09:19 PM
First, your old T-180 probably has water in it. I have had that happen and after opening up and drying out it could be ok. The TP motor is a Y wind, timing should be 15*, but lower timing shouldn't be a problem to it. It is possible that after a soaking the motor bearings rusted and that would possibly be a cause of extra loading on the electrics making things hot. Lesson here, if things are loaded and getting hot, a smaller prop is a better move than an 'equivalent', and 3 blades are less efficient than 2.
The 180 esc should be fine. I had a 220 SF in my Q hydro, and it never ran right and just gave up the ghost, dodo. I put a T-180 v2 in and it runs mint. Motor is TP4060 1620kv D wind, prop D/T B/S X445. This is set up for racing on 5000mah.
Check your motor bearings and if in doubt replace anyway.

JimClark
03-07-2016, 10:12 PM
20+ Min run times?

zooma
03-07-2016, 11:08 PM
First, your old T-180 probably has water in it. I have had that happen and after opening up and drying out it could be ok. The TP motor is a Y wind, timing should be 15*, but lower timing shouldn't be a problem to it. It is possible that after a soaking the motor bearings rusted and that would possibly be a cause of extra loading on the electrics making things hot. Lesson here, if things are loaded and getting hot, a smaller prop is a better move than an 'equivalent', and 3 blades are less efficient than 2.
The 180 esc should be fine. I had a 220 SF in my Q hydro, and it never ran right and just gave up the ghost, dodo. I put a T-180 v2 in and it runs mint. Motor is TP4060 1620kv D wind, prop D/T B/S X445. This is set up for racing on 5000mah.
Check your motor bearings and if in doubt replace anyway.

Just curious, what timing did you set the T180 to for the D wind motor?

Charlie Hegelheimer
03-08-2016, 12:31 AM
All the drive train and motor were fine. I grease the shaft and strut before every run. The motor spins freely and bearings are good as well. Here are some photos of what the damage looks like.

Yes 20+ min run times as I have two 6s 8,000mah nano techs. This hull gets real slippery at full throttle therefore I don't spend much time pushing it that hard.

tlandauer
03-08-2016, 01:03 AM
Your statement that the old set up " was never really hot after 20+ min. run time" was base on your subjective feel or you actually used a temp gun aiming at the caps on the 180ESC V1/2?
It is no secret that the V3 runs hotter and I recall several early complains not common on the V1/2.
In any event, go over the check list as suggested above and prop down and re test, I have had similar prop but with a slightly cupped tip that smoked both a Neu 1515 and Leopard 4082/2200kv in 30 seconds where as the none cupped prop ( same raw prop configuration) did just fine. Never under estimate the black science of prop.
BTW, 20+ min. is very very long, I know you have had no trouble, but the accumulated effect on the old T180 , and possible water intrusion not with standing, could have already accounted for the behavior change.

Mxkid261
03-08-2016, 08:36 AM
I smoked a v3 seaking 180 last summer with very little 6s time on it the capacitors would get quite hot after a 10 minute run, as would the esc itself. 20 minutes seems pretty long for anything FE. Im assuming you weren't running an external BEC on the v3 esc? I ended up getting the Turnigy branded v3 180 from HK, which comes with an extra 4 bank set of capacitors and I was advised by others to run an external bec, and using 8mm bullets. I also added an extra cooling line to the fins. It Barely gets warm now, runs extremely cooler than the seaking ever did.
http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx156/mxkid261/Mobile%20Uploads/th_image_31.jpg (http://s751.photobucket.com/user/mxkid261/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_31.jpg.html)

kfxguy
03-08-2016, 10:15 AM
20+ Min run times?

When I read the 20+ minutes run time I thought the same thing you are. That's way to long for a fe boat! Most anyway.

Op, if you get another t180 try adding a brass tube pressed down into the heat sink find on the other side of the esc. There's a couple threads on it. Very easy to do.

Bearings. Like said above, if they got wet, they are likely corroded. Replace them or at least oil them, run the motor disconnected from the flex at low rpm for a little bit, clean, repeat until they sound smooth. May or may not work for you.

Three blades, unless your quite experienced or like smoking things, stay away from them. They load things up a good bit more if you don't know what your doing. (No offense, we all had to start somewhere....my first esc explosion was from a three blade lol).

Seriously try to limit your run times to maybe 10 mins instead of 20. Also when you try a new prop, run for 30 seconds then bring in and check temps. Then run for one minute and check temp. A lot of stuff can happen in 30 seconds. Trust me, I know from bad experiences lol

On 6s a t180 really need an external bec and not use the internal bec. This adds more heat if you use the internal bec.

Lastly, 1700ish kv can be a lot of kv for your run times on 6s. It will be fine (usually) for 3-5 or so minutes but if your wanting runtime like your doing then you need 1500-1600kv to be safer. Know your limits. When in doubt, over esc it.

Mxkid261
03-08-2016, 11:25 AM
My esc temps dropped considerably when I added the brass tubing to the heat sink. Why would they not put 2 lines on the heat sink from factory? Seems like a no brainer lol

Charlie Hegelheimer
03-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Thank you so much guys! I greatly appreciate your polite assistance! I have double checked the motor and it spins very nicely without any noise or resistance. I will try another SK180V3 but will try an external BEC and the added cooling tube. Would you guys happen to have a link to any threads for the cooling tube handy and also any advice on an external BEC setup? not too familiar with that as I'm super newbish in this scene.

Thanks again guys you all rock!

also one last thing... would you guys have any opinion between he SF 200A8s that is on this site for $129 or the SK180AV3 that is 119? the

dmitry100
03-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Be careful with a Swordfish 240 (if you are thinking to go that way) ... it's not exactly what I call water resistant in any way.

Especially knowing how well the Spartan keeps water out and all. Either seal up the hatch/hull really well, or find something more waterproof like the new Seaking 160 Pro, or something like that.

kfxguy
03-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Thank you so much guys! I greatly appreciate your polite assistance! I have double checked the motor and it spins very nicely without any noise or resistance. I will try another SK180V3 but will try an external BEC and the added cooling tube. Would you guys happen to have a link to any threads for the cooling tube handy and also any advice on an external BEC setup? not too familiar with that as I'm super newbish in this scene.

Thanks again guys you all rock!

also one last thing... would you guys have any opinion between he SF 200A8s that is on this site for $129 or the SK180AV3 that is 119? the

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?49568-A-Little-Disappointed-with-the-T-180-v3-water-inlet-outlet-setup&highlight=Seaking+180+cooling

Mxkid261
03-09-2016, 06:07 PM
I simply ran a 3/16 drill bit through the fins on the one side and slid a piece of 3/16 copper brake line through, worked like a charm
http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx156/mxkid261/Mobile%20Uploads/image_32.jpg

Charlie Hegelheimer
03-10-2016, 06:01 PM
I simply ran a 3/16 drill bit through the fins on the one side and slid a piece of 3/16 copper brake line through, worked like a charm
http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx156/mxkid261/Mobile%20Uploads/image_32.jpg

what did you use to secure the break line? any kind of JB or something?

thanks

Mxkid261
03-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Its just pressed in, there was no need for any material to secure it in place, the drill bit and brake line are exactly the same size so it was a nice tight fit

Edit: I think I even had to put a few drops of oil on it for it to slide in easily

zooma
03-11-2016, 09:53 AM
Its just pressed in, there was no need for any material to secure it in place, the drill bit and brake line are exactly the same size so it was a nice tight fit

Edit: I think I even had to put a few drops of oil on it for it to slide in easily

Ah ha. So you didn't just ram the tube down into the slot. I like that.

Mxkid261
03-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Ah ha. So you didn't just ram the tube down into the slot. I like that.

Nope just ran a 3/16 bit through the fin, I first drilled through the heat sink on my burned up hobbywing controller to make sure it would work alright Lol. I never got temp gun readings without the extra cooling tube, but it was noticeably cooler to the touch after I added the extra tube. I think the hottest the capacitors got last summer was around 160*F.

grsboats
03-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Personally I would reconsider your running time...10min..20min...no way to this electronics survive even with extra cooling..........3 to 4 min would keep you in the safe side. Gill

Mxkid261
03-11-2016, 05:33 PM
I agree 20 min is pretty long, I run my rivercat about 10 and its pretty warm

dmitry100
03-11-2016, 06:48 PM
mxkid261: To improve heat transfer-- you should probably put some thermal paste/grease around the tube and heatsink and then glue it on the outter area to keep it in place.

Mxkid261
03-11-2016, 06:59 PM
What would the paste do? The tube definitely isnt moving unless you pull it out with a pliers lol

dmitry100
03-11-2016, 09:06 PM
Well in that case, just use the thermal grease, as it improves the metal to metal contact and transfers heat (a lot) more efficiently/faster. You can pick some up for a few bucks... most popular brand is Arctic Silver.

Are you using copper or aluminum for the tubing? Or something like brass, steel, ...

Mxkid261
03-11-2016, 10:13 PM
Its copper-nickel hydraulic brake tube, thats what I have at our shop to repair automotive brake lines. Its very easy to bend, and obviously anti-corrosive which is great for here in wisconsin where we salt roads in winter

grsboats
03-13-2016, 07:02 PM
Zooma answering your question for a D motor set the timing at 3,75 degrees.Gill

zooma
03-13-2016, 07:28 PM
Zooma answering your question for a D motor set the timing at 3,75 degrees.Gill

Sounds good.

Charlie Hegelheimer
03-18-2016, 07:02 PM
So I think I have decided to order another SK180A ESC but want to also order the items ill need for an external bac can you guys point me in the direction to do that I have no idea how to set that up....

Thank you!!

Charlie Hegelheimer
03-18-2016, 07:31 PM
So I think I have decided to order another SK180A ESC but want to also order the items ill need for an external bac can you guys point me in the direction to do that I have no idea how to set that up....

Thank you!!

Ok so I think Ive answered my own question here... looking at buying this BEC (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=cas-010-0004-00) at a local dealer any suggestions on waterproofing or if this is a decent BEC that will work?

Again thank you all for your knowledge and support!

dmitry100
03-18-2016, 09:01 PM
Charlie, just invest in a Zippy LiFe 2s 700mah receiver battery at Hobbyking... only a few bucks and they're reliable.