PDA

View Full Version : Help on twin ESC setup..

Thomas Schlarb
03-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Ok I've got my first twin cat and I'm setup it up with two 240 HV Swordfish esc's. My question is can I plug these into a Y connection and run. Or do I need to pull the red power wire off one esc first. Or is there something else I should do? Thanks for your time and advice :tiphat:

ls1fst98
03-01-2016, 10:22 PM
i dont believe they have a bec? if not theres nothing needed to do, if they have bec then just disable 1 or pull the red wire out of one of the plugs and mark the esc that still has the bec active and plug that one in first.

tlandauer
03-01-2016, 10:45 PM
On ESCs with BEC you do need to pull one red wire out, so only one will feed to the receiver. Common way is to use a short servo extension and pull the red on the extension so nothing is altered on the ESC. If you use Spektrum's MR-3000 series ( discontinued) rx, no need to use Y as the receiver has two ports for this kind of twin ESC set up (the extension should have the red pulled so only one ESC is feeding).
On the 240HV Swordfish I don't remember if there is a BEC or not, my memory tells me that they don't have a BEC so if you are feeding with a UBEC, just pull the red from your Y so both ESC's red is out. If you are indeed using the MR-3000, then use two short extension and pull the red on both before plugging them into the rx.
I hope I am right :scared: as I have not used the Swordfish and this comes from my CastleCreations's experience.

srislash
03-01-2016, 11:43 PM
The 240 has no BEC so no need to pull red wires. They have no provision to power their own Rx power.

tlandauer
03-02-2016, 12:00 AM
The 240 has no BEC so no need to pull red wires. They have no provision to power their own Rx power.

Thanks Shawn!

TRUCKPULL
03-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Thomas

I have found that with a twin setup, it is better to wire the input (battery power) of the two ESC's together in Parallel.
This way both ESC's will see a 2P setup instead of one battery pack for each one.
If you run them in 1P each, the outside motor will pull down the outside pack more then the inside pack when turning right, then by the end of your race the boat will want to turn Left in the straightaways.

Another trick that I learned is when connecting the two black battery input wires of the ESC's use a plug instead of soldering them.
This way when you want to change the program, you just unplug the two black wires first. (no unsoldering)
You cannot reprogram two ESC's hooked together.

Larry

richard
03-03-2016, 10:17 AM
larry when you do that do you have to pull the two red on esc.

TRUCKPULL
03-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Richard

In my post above, I am talking about the red and black battery wires on the ESC (power from your Lipos) inputs into your ESC's

For the control plugs, I use 4" servo extensions, with the red wire removed in the extensions.
I also always run a UBEC from one of the ESC's.
The BEC circuit is located in the radio board in the ESC's
I have found that by disconnecting it viva the red wire,
The radio board runs about 20 degrees cooler.

Larry

longballlumber
03-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Has anyone considered running 2 RX's vs. a "Y" connector?

TRUCKPULL
03-03-2016, 11:23 AM
Has anyone considered running 2 RX's vs. a "Y" connector?

Just another receiver to waterproof or put into a balloon, match to your transmitter, take up space, weight, ETC.

"Y" connector is easy to make, or cheaper to buy then another receiver.

Not saying it will not work.

Larry

TRUCKPULL
03-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Here is a wiring diagram to show how to wire two ESC's to two batteries
so that the ESC's see 2P each.

I have found that with a twin setup, it is better to wire the input (battery power) of the two ESC's together in Parallel.
This way both ESC's will see a 2P setup instead of one battery pack for each one.
If you run them in 1P each, the outside motor will pull down the outside pack more then the inside pack when turning right, then by the end of your race the boat will want to turn Left in the straightaways.

Another trick that I learned is when connecting the two black battery input wires of the ESC's use a plug instead of soldering them.
This way when you want to change the program, you just unplug the two black wires first. (no unsoldering)

Larry

Thomas Schlarb
03-03-2016, 06:28 PM
Here is a wiring diagram to show how to wire two ESC's to two batteries
so that the ESC's see 2P each.

Larry

Will this battery hook up work for 10s setups?

TRUCKPULL
03-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Will this battery hook up work for 10s setups?

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Larry