PDA

View Full Version : ***INTRODUCING*** The AquaCraft UL-1 Superior Fe Hydro RTR 2.4

Darin Jordan
10-16-2008, 10:00 AM
It's FINALLY here guys!!

This is being revealed at the IHobby Expo today as I post this (9:00am Central)...

Welcome to a the NEW AGE of RTR Racing boats!!

AquaCraft UL1 Superior (http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub20-ul1-superior/index.html)

Here are the specs:

AquaCraft UL-1 Superior Fast Electric Hydroplane
A Michael "Grimracer" Zaborowski Design

Street price around $330

Hull:
Fiberglass shoebox with drop tub center
ABS cowl and hatch
RACE inspired tape down hatch
LIPO READY and RECOMMENDED
Aluminum hardware
.150 cable with .187" stubshaft
27" long
4+lbs RTR
New aluminum motor cooling jacket
Available in a new cooler yellow, red, orange and white

Radio:
2.4ghz Tactic System
Standard Tactic servo
Antenna-less RX (very cool and very solid performing)

Motor:
AquaCraft 3656-2030
6 poles
Weight: 212g including male and female connectors
Input Voltage: 7-18.5V
Max. Constant Current: 50A
Max. Surge Current: 80A/five seconds
No Load Current: 5.0A
Motor Diameter: 36mm
Motor Length: 56mm
Shaft Diameter: 5mm
Shaft Length: 15mm
kV Rating: 2030 rpm/V

ESC:
Length: 3.25" (83mm)
Width: 1.5" (38mm)
Height: 5/16" (17mm)
Weight:3.8oz (109grams)
Wire Gauge: 14g
Battery Connectors: Male Ultra Deans Plugs (2)
Motor Connectors: 4mm gold plated bullet connectors (3)
Input Voltage: 12-14 NiMH, 4 cells LiPo, 8-20V input w/o BEC
Output Current: 60A continuous maximum 72A surge maximum
Max Output Power: 720 watts
On-resistance: 0.003 ohms
Operating frequency: 8kHz
BEC: 5.2V/2A
Stutter Bump Voltage: 12V
Low Voltage Cutoff: 11.6V
Thermal Cutoff: 110C
Timing Angle: 10 degree

Darin Jordan
10-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Here are a few more pics...

The boat shown in these pics here is the one heading to LA right now with Brian Buaas... He's going to run it through the traps at the LA SAW event and find out just how fast it can be made to go!

Some fun facts from Mike Z himself:

In testing we have hit over 41mph out of the box
In testing we have hit 49mph with this setup using the new Grimracer L40X56/3 prop
You can fit up to 10,000mah in this platform
The prototype in its first heat race ran 2 seconds faster then the NAMBA P class heat racing record on NIMPH cells

Diegoboy
10-16-2008, 10:04 AM
It's finally here! Awesome

Darin Jordan
10-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Tower Hobbies already has them listed, available "Early December":

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000535914&I=LNWCJ1**&P=K

Now... If Steven would have just attended the IHobby Expo, I happen to know they were having some there for "Dealer Presale" purchase... :w00t:

Darin Jordan
10-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Here are the different colors available, as shown on the AquaCraft site:

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub20-ul1-superior/aqub20-hullcolors-lg.jpg

Steven Vaccaro
10-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Nice.

Eodman
10-16-2008, 11:38 AM
OK now that it is announced what is the real timeline!

Does anyone out there in R/C land really believe early December is realistic!

Nope not me !!!!

Eodman
10-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Please tell me that thay don't come with them funky decals already on!

Darin Jordan
10-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Please tell me that thay don't come with them funky decals already on!

Does anyone have a "new rope"... :olleyes:

Like all Aquacraft boats, I'm pretty sure this one comes with the decal sheets for you to apply as desired...

Here is a link to the Aquacraft gallery for this boat:

UL1-Superior Photo Gallery (http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub20-ul1-superior/aqub20-gallery.html)

eboat
10-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Any pictures of the bottom ??

Steven Vaccaro
10-16-2008, 11:59 AM
First part people will lose? That funcky little hatch. :-)

Doby
10-16-2008, 12:40 PM
I think my Miss Vegas mod I was planning has just been scrapped!

Darin Jordan
10-16-2008, 12:43 PM

Perhaps... but I rather like the way the main hatch fits on... sure makes it easier to tape... A little piece of tape on the nose-piece will take care of any loss issues... I like the compromise... :cool:

Don't have any pics of the bottom... But here is a cool action shot!

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/wallpaper/aqub20-wallpaper-1280.jpg

Meniscus
10-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Any other pictures of the turn fin?

Video from the factory? Bootleg from cell at the booth perhaps?

SJFE
10-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Steven I'll take one out of the first batch and I'll pay for it up front......

SJFE
10-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I think my Miss Vegas mod I was planning has just been scrapped!

You and I both Doby

Darin Jordan
10-16-2008, 02:01 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the new ProBoat Miss Elam FE compares to this AQ offering on the water... Simliar power systems... but pretty different hull designs... Would be great to have them competitive with each other...

SJFE
10-16-2008, 02:03 PM
That may be a great RTR class......

Meniscus
10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Does anyone think it is possible to reroute the water outlet to those headers? Personally, I'd like to be able to see the water coming out rather easily. But maybe that's just me.

JimClark
10-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Sometimes working nights sucks but here is the prototype running
http://jimclark.smugmug.com/photos/168616992_jSU9r-L.jpg

JimClark
10-16-2008, 02:39 PM
More pictures of the prototype running in my photo gallery here

http://jimclark.smugmug.com/gallery/3087609_7TQJr//168606577_qGoD5

Doby
10-16-2008, 03:13 PM
You and I both Doby

Steve , when you want the $$$$$ let me know. I'll take a yellow one!

Doby
10-16-2008, 03:15 PM
As for the Elam, its should be a fun boat as well, but this having the 2.4Ghz radio vs the AM of the Proboat will be the clincher. 2.4 Ghz rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steven Vaccaro
10-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Hope this isnt a stupid question, but in which picture is the rx and antenna? Talk about hidden and Antenna-less!!!! :banana:

Doby
10-16-2008, 03:20 PM

A little squirt of "foam in a can" will keep it afloat.

Darin Jordan
10-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Hope this isnt a stupid question, but in which picture is the rx and antenna? Talk about hidden and Antenna-less!!!! :banana:

Doesn't look like the RX is installed in these pics... There isn't going to be an antenna on this boat...

Steven Vaccaro
10-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Doesn't look like the RX is installed in these pics... There isn't going to be an antenna on this boat...

I knew that. :glare: I was joking. There has to be some antenna, but it will most likely be in the motor compartment. I was looking to see what this is like.

Flying Scotsman
10-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Wrong Steven, no antenna..apparently internal

Steven Vaccaro
10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
No antenna at all? Nothing? Interesting.....

Darin Jordan
10-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Here are a few more pics... This stuff can all be seen on the AquaCraft UL1-Superior Page.

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub20-ul1-superior/aqub20-hardware-lg.jpg

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub20-ul1-superior/aqub20-turnfin-lg.jpg

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub20-ul1-superior/aqub20-fins-lg.jpg

http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats/aqub20-ul1-superior/aqub20-esc2-lg.jpg

Flying Scotsman
10-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Apperently Tactic have come up with a new spread 2.4ghz system, which I will take with a pinch of salt.

Douggie

AntronX
10-16-2008, 04:22 PM
ESC cast in resin = Waterproof = Giant leap in the right direction.

The boat looks a bit fugly to my liking, but with right features and hitting 41 - 49 mph on stock power plant, this boat will be a hit among first time FE boaters. With waterproof radio and servo, this boat will be a no hassle deal for first timers looking for either nitro or electric. Pretty cool that stock radio is 2.4Ghz.

Spot Me 2
10-16-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm loving the stock water proof ESC. I only wish it was rated for a litttle higher amps.

Flying Scotsman
10-16-2008, 05:14 PM
ESC cast in resin = Waterproof = Giant leap in the right direction.

The boat looks a bit fugly to my liking, but with right features and hitting 41 - 49 mph on stock power plant, this boat will be a hit among first time FE boaters. With waterproof radio and servo, this boat will be a no hassle deal for first timers looking for either nitro or electric. Pretty cool that stock radio is 2.4Ghz.

Hydros look cool but are IMO not a newbie boat. They need calm water and I think many of these hulls will lie at the bottom of the pond. A shame as it is has a very interesting hull design.

Douggie

alvinsmith75
10-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Does anyone think it is possible to reroute the water outlet to those headers? Personally, I'd like to be able to see the water coming out rather easily. But maybe that's just me.

Maybe you can bend a piece of copper tubing into a 90 degree and just plug it into the tubeing and point it outward so it can be easily seen.

JimClark
10-16-2008, 06:28 PM
why water out the headers?

AlanN
10-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Hydros look cool but are IMO not a newbie boat. They need calm water and I think many of these hulls will lie at the bottom of the pond. A shame as it is has a very interesting hull design.

Douggie

They are way more stable than a mono or SV for example. Just can't turn hard left on most of them. I would entrust a newbie to drive this better than a mono or tunnel. The only thing more stable is a rigger.

This product will insurge growth in the FE sector of racing.

Flying Scotsman
10-16-2008, 06:54 PM
why water out the headers?

Jim, they may not understand what headers are trying to acomplish but cool is cool :tape:

Douggie

Darin Jordan
10-16-2008, 06:54 PM
They are way more stable than a mono or SV for example. Just can't turn hard left on most of them. I would entrust a newbie to drive this better than a mono or tunnel. The only thing more stable is a rigger.

I agree... There are an AWEFUL lot of ProBoat and Miss Vegas boats out there with no sealing, etc.. that are all still riding high!

I think you are right!

Flying Scotsman
10-16-2008, 07:01 PM

Bollocks...a hydro is not as stable in rough water as a V hull mono or a cat.

Douggie

egneg
10-16-2008, 07:06 PM
I put a white one on my Christmas list!

highndry
10-16-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm a fan of Aquacraft. the SV power system is bullet-proof as everyone knows and has gone a long way in revolutionizing ( sp?) the sport, not to mention all the spec classes etc.. that use their system. At first blush, however, I like the looks of the Proboat entry better. Maybe its a performance issue . I'm certaintly no expert. Time will tell.

SJFE
10-16-2008, 07:23 PM

Aye Douggie :iagree: 100%.

AntronX
10-16-2008, 08:11 PM

Douggie

Oh, no question about it, hydros are the coolest. But my initial impression of this boat was a bit fugly. Why do you think this boat will end up at the bottom of the lake? It should have flotation foam built in.

I think this boat will steer RC boating newcomers towards brushless power rather than nitro. If most serious quirks are worked out in RTR, like flotation and waterproofing, then it will be loads more fun to play with than nitro. If you could get a combo deal on LiPo for it and 12 volt charger, and get everything under $500 total, that would be a deal!

Hydromaniac
10-16-2008, 08:23 PM
:rofl:A well tuned hydro using its maximum hull potential and packing the most air it can, is hardly stable. The fastest hydros are those that right below blow over and nearly out of control. The art of Fine tuning right to the edge is what hydros are all about. And most are faster with a slight chop on the water.

AlanN
10-16-2008, 08:29 PM

Douggie

Now you are twisting what you said originally.

Stick to your thoughts. I am telling you that a sport hydro is easier to run than a mono. I am not arguing that a mono is or is not more stable in rough water. A mono is not as stable as a hydro. 3 riding points on a hydro and only one on a mono. Do you stand better on 2 legs than 1? Therefore easier for the newbie to get the "feel". And A sport hydro of this size can handle some pretty good chop. More so than a souped up SV.

And I think that the boat looks pretty cool too.

Eyekandyboats
10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
this boat is awesome.. talked with mike for a bit... totally cool! it is going to be fully awesome!!!

Apples1
10-17-2008, 12:36 AM
i'll take one too Steve....

Steven Vaccaro
10-17-2008, 07:20 AM
I will get them ordered up today.

I can partially agree about this not being a newbie boat BUT how many hot rod "real" cars are sold to teenagers with fresh licenses each year? Let the buyer beware and more importantly research what they buy!

Meniscus
10-17-2008, 08:10 AM
What's the price Steve? I saw the post here stating the street price @ $330. Let me know. I'm thinking of picking one up in late December into January.

andym
10-17-2008, 08:39 AM
I think there is something lost in the translation from wood test hull to this plastic/ poor fibreglass AQ junk. The wood one looks great this looks like AQ stuff. Kill me now for having a opinion, yes now you sober plebs

properchopper
10-17-2008, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=Darin Jordan;58774]
The boat shown in these pics here is the one heading to LA right now with Brian Buaas... He's going to run it through the traps at the LA SAW event and find out just how fast it can be made to go!

I'm heading out to the lake today around noon ; I'm bringing my camera :spy::spy:

Stealth Assassin
10-17-2008, 09:10 AM
I think she looks pretty mean and the hatch and cowl setup was a killer Idea! It's just that the shoebox seam has never been one of my favorites but, It Is the easiest route to bonding the deck and hull.

Thumbs up and congrats to Mike for designing something new and getting a big company to market them. Awesome! Mike Is one of my new heros...

Derrick

Flying Scotsman
10-17-2008, 12:19 PM
I think there is something lost in the translation from wood test hull to this plastic/ poor fibreglass AQ junk. The wood one looks great this looks like AQ stuff. Kill me now for having a opinion, yes now you sober plebs

Andy, the proof will be in the pudding. The boat has been built to a calculated price point. Yes the hull will probably have stress cracks after numerous runs but for the price it is one hell of a bargain as long as the PRODUCTION models pass all quality control procedures. The model that will run in LA is not what you and I will buy.

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
10-17-2008, 06:57 PM

Alan, I know you are there, please explain the attributes of a rigger and a hydro design under wind and heavy water conditions and my initial statement said calm water conditions

Douggie

AlanN
10-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Just grow up.

Flying Scotsman
10-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Just grow up.

I did I am 60 years young :olleyes:

Doby
10-17-2008, 10:36 PM
I did I am 60 years young :olleyes:

60!!!:eek:::eek:
Makes me feel like a kid at "only" 44!

But now,,,,:focus:

Flying Scotsman
10-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Doby, thanks for the compliment...44...But I still think this boat is too aggresive for a newbie. They will try to run it in bad conditions, as I have stated before

Douggie

properchopper
10-17-2008, 11:25 PM
The boat is beeutifull .. !!! Will have vids tomorrow; camara went funny on me today. Engineered extremely well & fit & finish is gorgeous.

This is a Must Have !!

eboat
10-17-2008, 11:30 PM
I think I will wait to buy mine second hand just like the super vee
everybody has to have one now but watch a year from now they will be selling for less than 1/2 from all the people that thought they knew what they were doing (first timers) and it just did not work out

Meniscus
10-17-2008, 11:41 PM
Was that an antenna? I thought......never mind.

tylerm
10-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Was that an antenna? I thought......never mind.

Look at the transmitter in brians hand, not the tactic is it?:laugh:
As long as the join on the hull is better than the supervees its a step in the right direction.
Tyler.

FE Wannabe
10-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey Tony,

Did Mark Grim let Brian run it through the lights? If so what was time/speed?

JimClark
10-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Of course not he is part of the Futaba Team

Jim

Look at the transmitter in brians hand, not the tactic is it?:laugh:
As long as the join on the hull is better than the supervees its a step in the right direction.
Tyler.

properchopper
10-18-2008, 12:22 AM
...But I still think this boat is too aggresive for a newbie. They will try to run it in bad conditions, as I have stated before
Douggie

I had to think about this comment for a moment, and while my first instinct was to disagree,I now beleive there's a good deal of truth to it [if not somewhat painful to the "first-timer" as mentioned in a previous post].
I beleive it's a matter of perspective ; today the general consensus among the SAW guys was that the boat is very good and can spawn some really good racing. But understand that this crowd is made up of national record holders who know how to fine tune things, and well comprehend the dynamics of running in racewater. But here's the good news to the newbie : this boat was designed by the best FE racers around; the layout is simple and appears bulletproof. I'm of the opinion that much of the tweaking was done before the final design was set in cement. I've personally held off building a hydro because of my lack of "hydro tuning " skill, but I'm lining up for one of these knowing it'll be as close to "plug-and-play" as it gets.
There, I've said it. Im going to bed because tomorrow the records are under attack & I'm gonna go & get my @ss kicked by the best !:help:

properchopper
10-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Hey Tony,

Did Mark Grim let Brian run it through the lights? If so what was time/speed?

Brian was pretty focused on his riggers, and the lights were being triggered a lot by the Legg ducklings [ would you believe a 230 mph pass by a p-mono ? Calm down Joerg, it was the ducks screwing with the lights]. Tomorrow's another day. !

FE Wannabe
10-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Brian was pretty focused on his riggers, and the lights were being triggered a lot by the Legg ducklings [ would you believe a 230 mph pass by a p-mono ? Calm down Joerg, it was the ducks screwing with the lights]. Tomorrow's another day. !

I hope to get out there tomorrow and maybe Sunday to check it out first hand. It looks like I should maybe bring my semi-auto 12 gauge, to improve the accuracy of the SAW times!
LOL- Just Kidding for those PETA freaks out there.

Bill-SOCAL
10-18-2008, 01:50 AM
For the record Brian got the boat without the radio. He installed his Futaba 3PK 2.4 FASST radio in it. The 3PK retains the 75 MHz antenna on it, so hence his transmitter has an antenna.

BTW - I am curious why anyone would think that Mark Grim decides who can run what boats. The only restriction at this event is that it must be a FE boat. If you paid your entry fee and are a NAMBA member (required to run on this lake) then you can run whatever you want to run. ANd besides, this boat qualifies as a P Sport Hydro and fits perfectly into the SAWS event.

As far as the ducks go, I have been authorized to bring a nasty noisy gas boat out for the sole purpose of making that part of the pond inhospitable for the ducks. I guess that makes me the scarecrow of sorts!!

Meniscus
10-18-2008, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the clarification on the radio. Curiosity got the best of me and figured I'd ask.

:thumbup:

FE Wannabe
10-18-2008, 02:23 AM
For the record Brian got the boat without the radio. He installed his Futaba 3PK 2.4 FASST radio in it. The 3PK retains the 75 MHz antenna on it, so hence his transmitter has an antenna.

BTW - I am curious why anyone would think that Mark Grim decides who can run what boats. The only restriction at this event is that it must be a FE boat. If you paid your entry fee and are a NAMBA member (required to run on this lake) then you can run whatever you want to run. ANd besides, this boat qualifies as a P Sport Hydro and fits perfectly into the SAWS event.

As far as the ducks go, I have been authorized to bring a nasty noisy gas boat out for the sole purpose of making that part of the pond inhospitable for the ducks. I guess that makes me the scarecrow of sorts!!

I guess I chose the wrong wording regarding my questioning if Brian had run this boat in a top speed run or not. I did not mean to imply that Mark Grim says who can and can't make a SAW attempt. I just assumed he was the person timing it.

AndyKunz
10-18-2008, 10:07 AM
I was at I-Hobby and got to hold and look at the boats. I like the concept - a race-able hydro that has the availability of the Blackjack and SV27. The conceptual design of the boat is great (fantastically open hatch area, sealed tub design) and it will work well for third parties (Randy, are you listening) to make more scale-like and better-looking hatch covers/cockpits for it.

OTOH, I was not especially impressed by the quality of the glass work. The fit of the rear wings into the deck left a lot to be desired, as did the overall quality of the glass. The hatch area, while great for racing, makes for a crappy appearance. They did do a great job at filling the hull/deck seam, but there were voids that I would want to fill before painting it. Why paint? The color did not have the "depth" that I like to see in a boat. If you compare it to a Proboat hydro side by side, you will definitely see a MAJOR difference. The boats will probably race well, but they'll not hold their own at the Concours judging (just as important to me, personally, for Sport hulls).

Another good thing coming out of this entry is the spare parts. I spoke with Mike about availability of the aluminum hardware and he assured me all these black cold anodized items will be available separately (probably Parts Express due to small size!). That in itself should be a big plus for electric racers everywhere.

All said, I praise Mark and AC for getting this to market. I hope it spurs some great competitive boats from other companies. Ready to race hydros for the LSH class is a great selling point. I hope they can grow electric boat racing as a result.

Andy

Meniscus
10-18-2008, 10:38 AM
OK, I see the sealed tub. Does anyone know if there is float foam in there?

Thank you in advance for input.

Bill-SOCAL
10-18-2008, 12:24 PM
No idea, but I saw the boat blow over at least three times yesterday and it floated fine all 3 times. It is a sealed up hull so I doubt there is any foam in there or any way to put foam in unless you made a hole and sprayed in expanding foam (which I do not think is either required or a good idea).

As far as Andy's comments, come on, it is $330 out the door ready to run with a 2.4 radio. Does it have the fit and finish of a boat whose hull cost that much alone? No. But for the price point the boat looks great, especially if it will be beat up racing or being banged around for sport running.

Bill-SOCAL
10-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the radio. Curiosity got the best of me and figured I'd ask.

:thumbup:

No worries. The stock radio is very interesting. I don't know anything about it beyond that it does not use the Futaba FASST which is patented. But it is a FHSS system like FASST and has been tested extensively by Mike Z and others at AQ.

Rex R
10-18-2008, 01:38 PM
heh, unlike the sv it would appear that one could leave the turkey baster at home(the hydro has a drain plug ;)).

Darin Jordan
10-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey Gang,

Just a little news from the LA SAW today...

Brian called today and says he got his UL1 to 65/64mph 2-way pass... Stock, with the exception of a prop and some tuning...

Meniscus
10-18-2008, 08:18 PM
That is impressive (looking around wondering what I'm doing trying to scrape 2 or 3 mph out of this or that).

Do we have any video yet? I think I speak for a lot of us to say "We want a video!"

Thanks!

AndyKunz
10-18-2008, 10:13 PM
As far as Andy's comments, come on, it is $330 out the door ready to run with a 2.4 radio. Does it have the fit and finish of a boat whose hull cost that much alone? No. But for the price point the boat looks great, especially if it will be beat up racing or being banged around for sport running.

I thought my comments were generally positive, Bill. I told Mike that I want one (saving pennies for a turbine right now, so it will take a while), but I'll replace the radio with a Spektrum - something I have experience with and can count on.

About the getting beat up - it seemed to me to be plenty rugged to take the abuse of racing. He said it weighed 4 1/2 pounds with LiPo packs that looked to be about 4S 4000's, making it about right for P Sport or LSH.

The most impressive part was the open, neatly-arranged layout inside.

I asked Mike about foam between the inner and outer hull parts and yes, he assured me it does. It also has a really cool drain plug in the transom that will let any water out that manages to get it. If it DOES get in, about the only place it could be is around the stuffing box.

BTW, the angle on the flex driveline (it's .150 flex with standard 3/16" stub) is going to be fine to make an easy upgrade to piano wire. I forgot to check the coupler to see if it uses grub screws or a collet to grab the cable.

Andy

Jeff Wohlt
10-18-2008, 10:17 PM
That is smokin fast. I would like to know if he used the stock ESC. 60-70 amp seems low to be turning a prop that would allow that kind of speed. If so he got almost 20 mph mor from a prop and a little strut adjustment.

Brian can do it but if that speedo can handle that then it is a winner for sure.

Darin Jordan
10-18-2008, 11:00 PM
That is smokin fast. I would like to know if he used the stock ESC. 60-70 amp seems low to be turning a prop that would allow that kind of speed. If so he got almost 20 mph mor from a prop and a little strut adjustment.

Brian can do it but if that speedo can handle that then it is a winner for sure.

Something tells me it's NOT something you'd want to attempt on a normal raceday basis... But it's nice to know it has some headroom...

I've put some props on my SV27 setup that make many people scratch their heads... but I think I'm sure they ESC is living on borrowed time with those setups...

properchopper
10-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Yes it was the stock speed control. Yes, the prop was not the stock plastic one. The finish on this boat was perfect, shiny and unblemished, as good as it gets. The layout is super sano; the motor mount, cooling jacket & servo mount are exquisite. I drove the boat around for about 5 laps after Mark F drove it around after Brian drove it around & it had more to go. What a blast ; easier to drive than the spastic SV 27. After Brian did a 59 mph pass [ before his 64 & 65 mph pass] he said he was really pissed ! I asked why & he said that in the past he " had to work & build REALLY HARD to get this performance ". Check out this short really bad vid.
[ if it loads] [ sorry; it was an "invalid file"]

MarkF
10-18-2008, 11:49 PM
Brian used a 2047 prop for the speed run. Nothing else was done to the boat.

Mark

Steven Vaccaro
10-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Crazy fast. If Aqua is using the same carbon prop as the sv27 the 2047 has about 70% more pitch! WOW

U.L. HYDRO DRIVER ICE
10-19-2008, 04:15 PM
How many lipos were you using for 64mph speed

JimClark
10-19-2008, 04:19 PM
my guess is either 2 2s packs or 1 4s pack as there isn't room for anything bigger

lrm50
10-19-2008, 04:40 PM
nice hydro!! motor looks likes an ammo. not so exslusive

Doozie870
10-19-2008, 04:42 PM
The boat looks really good to me, with a 2.4 radio included, its seems very affordable for what you get.

Raydee
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
What a lot of people don't understand in this hobby is that prop tuning is the key to make a boat run fast. From what I hear Brian is a master at that and that is why his boats go faster than the average Joe's. Detounging and backcutting a prop will only get you so far, cupping and tweaking will get you the rest of the way.

I am sure when Mike did his testing with the hydro it was in a oval format. I highly doubt he put a 47mm prop with a ton of pitch and most likely cupping on the boat to test it oval. I have seen boats that ran like duds wake up with just a prop change, ask me how I know.....been there, done that.

Diegoboy
10-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Maybe Brian could cast a mold of that prop, and mass produce it. He'd make a LOT of boaters happy and a small fortune to boot! :thumbup1:

Meniscus
10-19-2008, 10:06 PM
New prop supplier? Am I hearing this?

I'm in!!!!

Bill-SOCAL
10-20-2008, 01:44 AM
How many lipos were you using for 64mph speed

Brian ran it as 4S1P using two 2S packs in series.

Bill-SOCAL
10-20-2008, 01:49 AM
let me see if i can get this straight...fun facts are during testing mike z says it hit 41 out of the box,and 49 with a prop change..So how could you make the same prop change to to obtain a whopping 13 to 14 mph difference when it takes the entire FE world hundreds of dollars?

Well, this was the first time it was totally wrung out in a SAWS environment. Could you heat race it like this?? No, probably not. But what Brian did show was the speed potential of the hull. Can you make it go that fast? No, probably not. Brian is one of the true prop magicians out there, and sorry, but the rest of us mortals simply cannot do to a prop what he can.

But the point still remains, A) it is NOT BS, it DID go that fast, and 2) the hull can be run that fast in a straight line set up.

For $330 it is one cool tool.

Reesor@work
10-20-2008, 07:04 AM
I am not a RTR kinda guy, but from my perspective I have a couple of observations on this new product.

Firstly, congratulations to AquaCraft for bringing another product to market which is both affordable AND can perform.

Out of the box claims of speed are irrelevant. The proof of the products' impact will be in the durability and handling in everyday "race" type water, for the everyday boater.

40mph out of the box for that price is exceptional performance and IMO exceptional value. I respect the engineering that goes into developing such a product, and we the boating community should applaud their efforts to bring FE RTR to the next level.

Brian's efforts in LA to see what the hull is "capable" of should also be applauded. Again, the fact the hull went 65 mph in his hands and with what prop is NOT the point. Brian doesn't need to prove anything or defend himself quite frankly.

The fact that the hull can handle that kind of speed is impressive and is what I take out of his (Brian's) work in LA with the hull.

Again...congrats to Aquacraft.

Meniscus
10-20-2008, 09:31 AM
OK, since the general consensus is to move on, how about that video???

Who's got it? Who do I hassle directly? or indirectly? Come on, fess up!

For those of us that may, or may not, have the disposable income to acquire one, I for one want to see a video. I don't care if its slow, fast, flipped, or whatever, I just want to see the hull moving on the water. Everything else will come in time.

properchopper
10-20-2008, 09:39 AM
OK, since the general consensus is to move on, how about that video???

Who's got it? Who do I hassle directly? or indirectly? Come on, fess up!

For those of us that may, or may not, have the disposable income to acquire one, I for one want to see a video. I don't care if its slow, fast, flipped, or whatever, I just want to see the hull moving on the water. Everything else will come in time.

I have a 15 second .jpg vid which is an invalid file for this site according to the message I got when I tried to upload. Any Ideas ? [ btw at the end you can hear Mark Grim yell out 59 while watching the clock]

Steven Vaccaro
10-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Email it to me Tony. I will give it a try.

properchopper
10-20-2008, 09:49 AM
Will do shortly, gotta do a little work for the boss right now.

Chop
10-20-2008, 09:57 AM
gotta do a little work for the boss

I hate when that happens.:(

Meniscus
10-20-2008, 10:51 AM
:smile: I appreciate the efforts made to share this video!

Kmot
10-20-2008, 01:17 PM
I have a 15 second .jpg vid which is an invalid file for this site according to the message I got when I tried to upload. Any Ideas ?

Youtube

Wavelit

Vimeo

properchopper
10-20-2008, 01:22 PM
I just e-mailed the vid to Steven; perhaps he can load it here. If not I'll you-tube it. It's short & far away, but It's all my old camera could get.

Darin Jordan
10-20-2008, 02:07 PM
So... HOW about that new UL1 Hydroplane guys!! Sounds like it should be on many people's Christmas lists this year!

I also hear from some trusted sources that they may have some competition coming in the near future, which may be interesting...

MORE options is a VERY good thing!!

Steven Vaccaro
10-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Ok. Get the bug in his ear that a cat in the 28-30" range would be awesome! :rockon2::rockon2:

Flying Scotsman
10-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Darin, I can not still believe the magic that The SNOWMAN breathed into that hull. It is definetely on my Xmas list.

Douggie

Meniscus
10-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Steve, how many do you have on order and do you have a limit that you can order? I'm considering getting on the list. Is the $330 good? Or has that not been finalized?

Let me know. Thanks.

Apples1
10-20-2008, 03:37 PM
what??? ...a new boat again.....you cant say someting like that and leave me dangleing......

Raydee
10-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I am just curious as to why you think well respected racers would try to BS anyone. Do you honestly think they are telling lies to sell more boats?

Meniscus
10-20-2008, 05:17 PM
:laugh: (singing kumbaya...) and throwing another log on the bonfire...

meanwhile, still watching the thread, hoping there's a video of the U-1 somewhere...

Diegoboy
10-20-2008, 05:18 PM
I wanna see that video too!

Meniscus
10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
OK, I wanna know, where can I see one in action on the East coast?

What about the East coast guys?

SJFE
10-20-2008, 05:21 PM
I second the video link!!!! I'm dieing for a peek over here.....

Meniscus
10-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Does Aquacraft have someone on the East Coast? Please enlighten me.

Steven Vaccaro
10-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Here is Tony's video
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/Videos/ul1.mpeg

SJFE
10-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Awesome!!!! Thanks boss :smile:

Steven Vaccaro
10-20-2008, 07:06 PM
I have contacted my rep to order a WHOLE bunch of these. Not sure of much more than that. Price will be the same as tower. With "MAYBE"a preorder incentive if color is not an issue.

Diegoboy
10-20-2008, 07:09 PM
I still want a red one myself.

SJFE
10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Pre who...pre what...yeehaa:banana::cool2:

Darin Jordan
10-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Steven,

Thanks Man...

Tony... Nothing wrong with that vid! Right on!

Doby
10-20-2008, 07:17 PM
:w00t::w00t:Drool.....................:w00t:

Flying Scotsman
10-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Thank you for American democracy with a bit of an FBI look. Way to go Steven and let the comments flow on this hull

Douggie

Doby
10-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Make mine Yellow !

Ub Hauled
10-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I missed that run,
this little bugger is FAST!

egneg
10-20-2008, 07:57 PM
I want white ... it's screaming for custom paint!

Doozie870
10-20-2008, 08:46 PM
What did it hit?

Ub Hauled
10-20-2008, 08:54 PM
the little hydro did not hit anything as far as I know...
what makes you say that it hit something?

Diegoboy
10-20-2008, 08:57 PM
you have to turn up the volume to notice it. it jumps, but the sound validates the supposed hit. I agree that it looks like it hit a turtle or something.

Meniscus
10-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks for facilitating the video Steven.

Thank you properchopper for the video contribution! It really helps those that haven't seen it run as of yet.

As for the hull, all I can say is wow from an RTR!

Boatman
10-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Thats awesome! Look like he hit a timing gate bouy. someone was saying go right.

Ub Hauled
10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
you guys are right, there was a good hit on something....
I have to say there were a lot of those little black targets, I mean, ducks
floating around and it may have been one of them...

Meniscus
10-20-2008, 09:51 PM
targets...that's good! :laugh:

teach
10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
I took it frame by frame. It was without a doubt a collision. To take it a step further, there was a ripple that wasn't there before. Jumping fish?

The official report from CSI Peublo....wow I'm a nerd :doh:

Boatman
10-20-2008, 10:04 PM
I took it frame by frame. It was without a doubt a collision. To take it a step further, there was a ripple that wasn't there before. Jumping fish?

funny! Seems this thread has gone to the focus on the hit more than the focus on the 59MPH and it kept going. SV would have been thrown 20 feet from the air and submarined about 10 feet!

properchopper
10-20-2008, 10:09 PM
When running through the SAW timing lights, the straightest path leads to the best times. As anyone who races has experienced, it's hard to follow the course when focused directly on your boat. A good pit-coach on your shoulder always calls out your best path [as well as the dead boats on the course]. Darin pit-coached me into a first-place finish in P-mono [in one heat] at the Nat's. - goes to show since my driving needs some [much] improvement! The "to the right" you hear in the vid is Mark Grim telling Brian to head to a straighter path. Also, FYI, the SAW times are an average time between the lights; a peak GPS readout is normally always 1-2 MPH faster. What you don't see is how this boat flat hauls through the turns, flat & stable !! Yowzah !! I want one NOW !!!

Doozie870
10-20-2008, 10:11 PM
"funny! Seems this thread has gone to the focus on the hit more than the focus on the 59MPH and it kept going."

That was a pretty damn good lick, if it can take that without damage its going to be a fantastic boat! Ive cracked SV27's with an abs boat before.

Raydee
10-20-2008, 10:12 PM
When running through the SAW timing lights, the straightest path leads to the best times. As anyone who races has experienced, it's hard to follow the course when focused directly on your boat. A good pit-coach on your shoulder always calls out your best path [as well as the dead boats on the course]. Darin pit-coached me into a first-place finish in P-mono [in one heat] at the Nat's. - goes to show since my driving needs some [much] improvement! The "to the right" you hear in the vid is Mark Grim telling Brian to head to a straighter path. Also, FYI, the SAW times are an average time between the lights; a peak GPS readout is normally always 1-2 MPH faster. What you don't see is how this boat flat hauls through the turns, flat & stable !! Yowzah !! I want one NOW !!!

BS, without video I don't think it turns good at all :just-kidding::just-kidding:

properchopper
10-20-2008, 10:13 PM

Yup, there were lots of ducks hanging out near the spot the "hit" occured, and several times during the race you could hear someone say : What was that ?" as the Leggfish jumped out of the water.

Meniscus
10-20-2008, 10:14 PM
:scared:

properchopper
10-20-2008, 10:21 PM
BS, without video I don't think it turns good at all :just-kidding::just-kidding:

Ray, I did about 5 laps with this little gem; first Hydro ever, & I was slidin her through the turns like a dirt-tracker . About 3/4 throttle, hold her steady right & watch her carve. Gives me goosebumps just thinkin' about it :thumbup:

Raydee
10-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah myself and the other guys in our club can't wait. We are really hoping to get more guys involved next year and get some good spec race classes.

Doozie870
10-20-2008, 10:32 PM
"funny! Seems this thread has gone to the focus on the hit more than the focus on the 59MPH and it kept going."

Hate to bring this back up BUT!

There is to much focus on speed in FE. I would rather have seen videos of how quick it turned, take off, chop/glass conditions ect. ect. It seems to be one tough s.o.b. While I am generally not a fan of rtr boats or there owners for that matter, this boat is pulling me back in!

MarkF
10-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Actually Ray is right. The boat doesn't turn as good as it should. I believe Brian thought that maybe the turn fin had something to do with it but it does need to turn better. The boat was also a little flighty untill Brian put an airdam on the boat. I think some lead up front would help as well. The boat is not without issues but is still a great boat with just a little tweaking to get it right.

Mark

Raydee
10-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey its good to see that the Hydro isn't perfect...what hull really is anyway. I am sure we will work all the kinks out once they hit the shelves.

Darin Jordan
10-20-2008, 10:42 PM
The boat is not without issues but is still a great boat with just a little tweaking to get it right.

Mark

This is why I'd like to see this boat, in our club anyhow, treated more like just another option for LSSH (Limited Spec Sport Hydro)... Let people tune and tweak as needed to suit their driving style, just like any other LSH boat...

MarkF
10-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Exactly. I started to see this thread go in a direction that this boat is the holy grail and I didn't want people to get the wrong idea and then come on here and bash it. Darin said it right.

Mark

Doozie870
10-20-2008, 11:03 PM
I have always loved this hobby, but as mainly a lso/lsh runner, I would love to see a motor can size class rather than a specific Aquacraft hull class. if its 35x56 so be it! lets have some fun man!

raptor347
10-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey guy,
I finally got to a computer.

The UL-1 really suprised me. I put an M445 on it for it's first pass, I flew it off and tumbled through the traps at 45mph. So I had a rough baseline. Next pass was with an M645 and 3/16" deeper on the strut, 52mph with a good ride attitude but still too light on the sponsons. 3rd pass was with a modified 2047 and a 1/2" deep tape air dam in the tunnel, 59mph pedaling it through the lights. Final pass was the same prop and air dam but 3/32" deeper on the strut, 65.7mph with a high 64mph return run. Temps on the final 2 passes were: motor 114F, ESC 126F, battery 109F (it had cooled down). I'm absolutely possitive I can get the boat over 70 on the stock drive system.

Stock motor/esc/hull. I didn't even touch the sponson bottoms (still shiny). Total mods from out of the box: remove turn fin and vertical fins, tape air dam, strut adjustment and a fairly trick octura 2047. I did run my Futaba FASST 2.4G radio.

Then I put the turnfin back on with a 38x55 grimracer prop and ran 41mph for 8 minutes in rough water. I LIKE IT!!!

The hit in the video was one of Legg's many small fish, kicked the rudder up a bit.

Is it the holy grail? No, but it's pretty darn good. I remember how much work it took to get these speeds out of a P boat 4 years ago.

The hull is tough, I crashed it a couple times at 60+. The motor and esc are fantastic, smoother startup and throttle response than the SV. Well engineered, easy to work on. Consistant, predictable, very stable running hull (I was running in conditions the SV wouldn't).

I agree that the turning could have been better on the test boat. It was certainly adequate but I'd like more response. I also admit that I spent no time tuning the handling other than strait away speed. I'm guessing that some very minor tweaks to the turn fin will take care of it. This boat will respond to the same tuning that you'd normally go through on any hydro.

I was lead to believe that the boat they sent me was out of the start up production run, so what you see is what should be ariving on shelves.

Some have expressed disbelief over the 20+mph jump in speed over the factory tests. Realize that Mike limited himself to the Aquacraft line of props while under development, I don't have that limitation. Mike also isn't a SAWs racer, I don't think anyone was as suprised as Mike was when I told him the speeds it ran. He also designed it to be a boat anyone could drive out of the box, reliably with good run time, I think he got it right.

JimClark
10-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Great info Brian thanks very much

Jim

Apples1
10-21-2008, 01:16 AM
i'll take any colour please....

Steven Vaccaro
10-21-2008, 06:33 AM
Thanks for sharing the info Brian! How did the tail fins fair in all the crashes?

Doby
10-21-2008, 07:16 AM
Yo Steven;

Have you got the waiting list started yet???

Let us know where we sit in the pecking order for purchasing when these come in.

Yellow,,yellow,,,yellow:thumbup:

Darin Jordan
10-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks for sharing the info Brian! How did the tail fins fair in all the crashes?

Steven,

Unless something has changed, those tailfins are attached with double-back-tape... they are designed to come off the hull and float in the event of a major crash, then be stuck right back on... that's why they don't appear to have the beat "fit-n-finish" with the rest of the hull... as some might have suggested.

hkusp45
10-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Brian had one of these at the LA SAW. Very nice indeed! Super fast super stable! And the fins do float!!

Fluid
10-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Tere is to much focus on speed in FE. I would rather have seen videos of how quick it turned, take off, chop/glass conditions ect. ect. It seems to be one tough s.o.b. While I am generally not a fan of rtr boats or there owners for that matter, this boat is pulling me back in!
The focus on the boat's speed is because its first real test was at a SAW event - no oval course to run, no buoys. But the boat was running in water too rough for most small hydros, and it handled it fine. It took off great, except when Brian was trying a prop better suited for a Q rigger - then it took a little finessing to get it on plane rather than submarineing.

Sure, some small tweaking would help more, but for the novice (the demographic for the boat, it isn't aimed at racers) it will be awesome in speed, handling, and hopefully in durability. It sure took some high speed crashes in stride, and I'm sure the 60 amp limit of the ESC was exceeded.....

I'm not an RTR fan for my own boats, but this one could change my mind.

Flying Scotsman
10-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Hey guys, I finally got my hands on a computer.

The UL-1 really suprised me. I put an M445 on it for it's first pass, I flew it off and tumbled through the traps at 45mph. So I had a rough baseline. Next pass was with an M645 and 3/16" deeper on the strut, 52mph with a good ride attitude but still too light on the sponsons. 3rd pass was with a modified 2047 and a 1/2" deep tape air dam in the tunnel, 59mph pedaling it through the lights. Final pass was the same prop and air dam but 3/32" deeper on the strut, 65.7mph with a high 64mph return run. Temps on the final 2 passes were: motor 114F, ESC 126F, battery 109F (it had cooled down).

Stock motor/esc/hull. I didn't even touch the sponson bottoms. Total mods from out of the box: remove turn fin and vertical fins, tape air dam, strut adjustment and a fairly trick octura 2047. I did run my Futaba FASST 2.4G radio.

Then I put the turnfin back on with a 38x55 grimracer prop and ran 41mph for 8 minutes in rough water. I LIKE IT!!!

After the SAW passes

Flying Scotsman
10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
I stand by what the SNOWMAN obtained. If some of you think otherwise...take him ON

Douggie

SJFE
10-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I fixed you up Douggie. Next time you need a hand with a post just Pm me. I'm always happy to help.
Tommy G

Flying Scotsman
10-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Steven, thank you for you PM

The UL-1 was one of the best threads I have ever seen on a new RR boat. The discourse was great until a member got into a very stupid take down of a very respected FE MASTER. That is what got me upset and if I upset the apple cart ...YOU HAVE MY APOLOGY.

Douggie

raptor347
10-21-2008, 05:38 PM

The fins are held on with servo tape and popped right off in a crash just as designed. They float like a cork.

I'm not a big fan of ABS, but the boat landed directly on the hatch several time at speed with no damage.

I can see some aftermarket hatches for this boat hitting the market in a hurry. Make mine a 7 Liter open cockpit.

Flying Scotsman
10-21-2008, 05:41 PM
P.S. If you wish to hear what Mike the Builder states. There is another forum that will allow that.

Douggie

Raydee
10-21-2008, 05:45 PM
What type of bushing or bearing does the drive use? Does it use a crossdrilled bushing like the Speedmaster struts or is it a lead teflon?

SJFE
10-21-2008, 06:03 PM
With thse speeds this thing is going it may need ballbearings....lol

Kfoss1
10-21-2008, 07:36 PM
That would be great, with 5 pages and counting already, this boat is going to be very popular. Mine is on b
ackorder now and I`ll buy any mods that work, so I`ll be following this thread very closely:smile:
Dang I must type slow lol!
This was in response to post 90

Doozie870
10-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Guys help me here.. does this mean we throw out the sv27 package that so many have converted to and go for the new higher kv, higher amp esc AQ setup? Will this be a yearly changeover for the spec classes?

SJFE
10-22-2008, 12:28 AM
Just looks like a new division of power system to me Dooz. Now we have the Proboat, Aquacraft gen 1 & 2 systems. Just more options :smile:.

raptor347
10-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Doozie,
We've tested the SV system, the BJ26 system and the new hydro system side by side at the PSFEMBC club races. There is no visible advantage from one to another. Slightly different props but comparable speeds. Any of the three can win.

Don't sweat it, I haven't cooked an SV esc yet (and I've done some pretty rediculous tests). All the spec motors benefit from connector upgrades. I'm running 5.5's because they are my sandard and make pretty good heat sinks for the smaller wires.

Doozie870
10-22-2008, 11:12 PM
How were you testing the new hydro system when in just came out?

JimClark
10-22-2008, 11:41 PM
I think Brian has a few connections Doozie

raptor347
10-23-2008, 05:41 PM
How were you testing the new hydro system when in just came out?

I was asked to see what I thought of the motor. I've had a test motor for three months. I've beaten the snot out of it and it just keeps going.

alvinsmith75
10-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Brian what batts did you run in that boat?

Bill-SOCAL
10-23-2008, 10:06 PM
I was asked to see what I thought of the motor. I've had a test motor for three months. I've beaten the snot out of it and it just keeps going.

This explains the complete absence of snot when I saw the boat last week :w00t:

Doozie870
10-23-2008, 10:08 PM

Thanks Darin and Brian, hoping to get involved in some spec class racing next year, was not sure on the motor kv 1500-2050 Thanks for shedding some light!

JimClark
10-23-2008, 10:09 PM
the Chinese are using snot for bearing grease?:doh::doh::confused2:

This explains the complete absence of snot when I saw the boat last week :w00t:

Doozie870
10-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks

Doozie870
10-26-2008, 10:33 PM
The average chinese factory worker earns $1 for 12 hours of work, without any benifits. Go Aquacraft!!! Yeah baby!

detox
10-27-2008, 08:48 AM
I have lots of 3s battery packs laying around because of my 6s MMM brushless EMAXX truck. So I decided to build a cooler running and lower amp draw 6s UL-1 sporting combo using the NEU 1515 1.5Y 1500kv motor. I will be on and off the throttle lots.

After clicking on chart....click on it again for easy to read larger view

Stealth Assassin
10-27-2008, 07:49 PM
The average chinese factory worker earns $1 for 12 hours of work, without any benifits. Go Aquacraft!!! Yeah baby!

James,
Don't get me started on other countries making things for the U.S. other than U.S. people making them... :mad:

Bill-SOCAL
10-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Let's see, they sell it for $330 using $1 per day labor. So would that make it $52,800 using $160 per day ($20/hr) labor??

We all want everything made in the USA, but virtually nobody is willing to pay what that would cost. Remember, Wal-Mart lured us in with "Made in the USA" and then sent everything overseas, and yet we still flock into Wally World every day.

Go figure!!

I still want one of these, regardless of where it is made. There is very little of what we use in this hobby that is made in the USA if you think about it. Neu motors is one glaring exception.

Lehner, Feigao, Nemesis, Schulze, Castle (to a large degree), most all batteries, all radios, most hulls, all made someplace else. Seems odd to single out AquaCraft for scorn here.

Diegoboy
10-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Nicely done! :iagree:

Stealth Assassin
10-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Let's see, they sell it for $330 using $1 per day labor. So would that make it $52,800 using $160 per day ($20/hr) labor??

We all want everything made in the USA, but virtually nobody is willing to pay what that would cost. Remember, Wal-Mart lured us in with "Made in the USA" and then sent everything overseas, and yet we still flock into Wally World every day.

Go figure!!

I still want one of these, regardless of where it is made. There is very little of what we use in this hobby that is made in the USA if you think about it. Neu motors is one glaring exception.

Lehner, Feigao, Nemesis, Schulze, Castle (to a large degree), most all batteries, all radios, most hulls, all made someplace else. Seems odd to single out AquaCraft for scorn here.

Ehhhh..... Nobody singled out AQ. Not made In USA = no jobs In USA. This comment Is off topic hijack and has nothing to do with a little r/c rtr boat.

ibyte
10-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Just bought 12 of these boats woww, kidding ,cant wait to add it to my fleet thanks aquacraft:thumbup1:

kevinlew211
10-28-2008, 02:44 AM
stock video i found on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGLMmn89qA

JimClark
10-28-2008, 03:33 AM
That looks very nice for sure. Plenty of speed and handles real well.

Jim

AndyKunz
10-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Ehhhh..... Nobody singled out AQ. Not made In USA = no jobs In USA. This comment Is off topic hijack and has nothing to do with a little r/c rtr boat.

The boat was designed in the USA. The boat is sold by a USA company (employee owned, in fact). The marketing materials were designed in the USA, and I'll bet a lot of them were printed here as well. The warehouse holding them is only a couple miles from my house. There are truck drivers, web designers, warehouse workers, white collars and blue, all making a little money off each one.

Be careful when you say "no jobs in USA" - I'm sure Mike likes living here.

Andy

Doby
10-28-2008, 09:57 AM
If the warehouse is only a few miles from where you live, break into the place and get us some boats!!!!!

Meniscus
10-28-2008, 10:30 AM
I will not support these illegal activities...but if a boat comes my way, it would be greatly appreciated!

:thumbup: :roflol:

Rex R
10-28-2008, 12:45 PM
one of those 'just happened to fall off the truck' sorta deal...w/ my luck I'd get one that really had fallen ;)

Meniscus
10-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I hope that you're not implying that this has happened before...

(thinking things must be different in Wisconsin, a little snow, the truck shifts...)

Meniscus
10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Do we have any other videos of the UL-1????

Who should we hassle?

teach
10-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Do we have any other videos of the UL-1????

Who should we hassle?

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/Videos/ul1.mpeg
is the only one I have seen.

calcagno45
10-28-2008, 04:59 PM
does he say "59" at the end of that video? cause it sure looks about that speed.

Tony
10-28-2008, 05:02 PM
go right , go right___________________________hit a fish____________________________59...

calcagno45
10-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Wow! I must have missed the "hit a fish" part...

59mph is crazy fast for this boat, I'll have to sacrafice the girlfriend's christmas present money to treat myself after a tough semester of college....

Bill-SOCAL
10-28-2008, 06:00 PM
That was an early run. He made two passes at 64 and 65 later on. THAT is crazy fast for an unmodified RTR boat. Prop and air dam only changes.

egneg
10-28-2008, 06:11 PM
I couldn't stand it any longer I have a white one on order. Now I have a bit of time to think about a paint job.

Flying Scotsman
10-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Bill, we all know in the hands of a genius, what they can do with a prop massage. Newbies, including myself you are not going to obtain this performance level with a prop change!!. No matter what props you try.

Meniscus
10-28-2008, 06:32 PM
So, again, who do we hassle for another video??? (hopefully one where we can see it corner)

hebner
10-28-2008, 06:45 PM
Here is a link to a video I found on you tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGLMmn89qA

Meniscus
10-28-2008, 07:02 PM
:thumbup: Very cool! Thanks for posting the link!

Bill-SOCAL
10-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Bill, we all know in the hands of a genius, what they can do with a prop massage. Newbies, including myself you are not going to obtain this performance level with a prop change!!. No matter what props you try.

OK, but I am not following you. I was only commenting on the fact that Brian got the boat to go even faster than the speed shown in the video that was posted. It all goes to show what the potential is. I've seen people posting already about how they are going to put Neu motors in on 6S and so on.

It is a nifty little boat and I can see a whole spec class growing out of this.

alvinsmith75
10-28-2008, 08:48 PM
I hear the batt trays can only handle a 6 in battery. Is this true. Can Brian or someone with hands on this boat please take an exact measurement? I just bought 2 neu 4900's that are 6.2 in long. Will they fit?
Thanks,
Alvin

Flying Scotsman
10-28-2008, 10:07 PM
OK, but I am not following you. I was only commenting on the fact that Brian got the boat to go even faster than the speed shown in the video that was posted. It all goes to show what the potential is. I've seen people posting already about how they are going to put Neu motors in on 6S and so on.

It is a nifty little boat and I can see a whole spec class growing out of this.

Bill, I was just stating that the average RTR boater will not achieve what the Snowman produced with a prop change. Plus they will be very happy with 40-45 mph if they can handle the right hand turn.

Douggie

AndyKunz
10-29-2008, 07:48 AM
I hear the batt trays can only handle a 6 in battery. Is this true. Can Brian or someone with hands on this boat please take an exact measurement? I just bought 2 neu 4900's that are 6.2 in long. Will they fit?
Thanks,
Alvin

The tub is a huge open area. You can fit all kinds of stuff in it.

Andy

no stick
10-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi racers,

I'm a nub when it comes to hydros. Can someone post a pic of the air dam Brian installed on the UL1 to keep it from flying?

Tks in advance

raptor347
11-02-2008, 12:18 AM
I was just going through everything and cleaning up the disaster that is my shop.

Here you go:
Air dam: 1/2" deep hatch tape (flexible), 1 3/4" from the front of the tunnel.
Strut: 1 1/16" deep with .020" at the front (a little negative).
Prop: Very thin full bladed 2047 cupped at the tips.

Prop measurements off a speedmaster pitch gauge. Taken at 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" from tip:
Spacer .062 .125 .187 .250
---------------------------------------
.125 3.5 6.75 11.25 17.0
.250 3.5 6.75 11.25 17.5
.375 4.5 9.0 14.25 20.5
.500 5.25 10.25 15.5 21.75

What the numbers mean for those who don't have lots of prop tools:
The average pitch on this prop starts at 3.7". The outer 3/8" of the blades have been cupped to increase pitch and to concentrate the thrust cone. The pitch out at the tips is roughly 6.4". You can see in the picture where the blade has been worked. Now if you don't want to do lots of prop work, an M645 will get you into the low 50's with the same airdam and strut setting.

One way or the other, it's a nice boat. And the 4900's will fit, no problem.

jcald2000
11-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Is that the new spec Rigger hull in the background?

alvinsmith75
11-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks about the batts Brian.

raptor347
11-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Is that the new spec Rigger hull in the background?

Yes it is. Sponson molds this week.

alvinsmith75
11-12-2008, 05:47 PM
Uh Oh! Stock status moved back from early to mid dec.

properchopper
11-12-2008, 10:07 PM
:tape
Uh Oh! Stock status moved back from early to
mid dec.

:tape: :tape: :censored:

alvinsmith75
11-12-2008, 10:13 PM
I copied and pasted this from RR!

Shipment is on the way. It left the factory yesterday. Usually takes 4 weeks.
Thanks,
Rw

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinsmith75
Uh Oh! Stock status moved back to Mid december from early december.

Kfoss1
12-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Just checked the tower site and they show the UL in stock, so orders should be going out as I type.:banana:

egneg
12-08-2008, 04:31 PM
From what I see at 4:30 pm EST the Tower sight says LATE DECEMBER

Darin Jordan
12-08-2008, 04:35 PM
It seems to depend on how you get to the UL-1 page... I just checked my order status and they say "In Stock", but if I search on them, then click the resulting link, I get "Late December"...

My guess is that the first set are already spoken for, and they've sold all they've received, but I could be wrong.

Either way... I think AQ has done an amazing job supporting the FE community and we should be excited about what they are delivering, as well as what they may have in store for the future! :cool2:

egneg
12-08-2008, 04:51 PM
You may be right Darin. When I check my account for it (I ordered one back in October) under back orders it says in stock. But when I check order status it says invoiced, awaiting product from manufacturer. My guess is that they are in the process of updating the web site.

Darin Jordan
12-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I just talked to Tower on the phone... they have them in stock, but they are in Illinois, not in Nevada. They also said they have plenty to cover all the back-orders.

Hopefully, Steven will get his in stock shortly...

properchopper
12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
:spy:;):spy:

alvinsmith75
12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
WTF? Just called tower and cancelled my backorder with $20.00 discount and reordered with a $30.00 discount and 2nd day air will put my red UL-1 here on thursday. Hells yeah!
They couldn't tell me when the backorders would ship so there ya go.

properchopper
12-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Just curious ;), which prop(s) would be best to upgrade the stock prop for heat racing ?

raptor347
12-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Tony,
I was running a GR 38x55 when you saw it run in LA in oval trim. For 1 mile heat racing, I'd start with an m445

detox
12-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Grimracer has a new prop just for this boat...L40X57 3blade.

alvinsmith75
12-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I was just going through everything and cleaning up the disaster that is my shop.

Here you go:
Air dam: 1/2" deep hatch tape (flexible), 1 3/4" from the front of the tunnel.
Strut: 1 1/16" deep with .020" at the front (a little negative).
Prop: Very thin full bladed 2047 cupped at the tips.

Prop measurements off a speedmaster pitch gauge. Taken at 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" from tip:
Spacer .062 .125 .187 .250
---------------------------------------
.125 3.5 6.75 11.25 17.0
.250 3.5 6.75 11.25 17.5
.375 4.5 9.0 14.25 20.5
.500 5.25 10.25 15.5 21.75

What the numbers mean for those who don't have lots of prop tools:
The average pitch on this prop starts at 3.7". The outer 3/8" of the blades have been cupped to increase pitch and to concentrate the thrust cone. The pitch out at the tips is roughly 6.4". You can see in the picture where the blade has been worked. Now if you don't want to do lots of prop work, an M645 will get you into the low 50's with the same airdam and strut setting.

One way or the other, it's a nice boat. And the 4900's will fit, no problem.

Brian I can't make heads or tails of that air dam from the picture. Can you add a better picture or explain better how it is attached? Or do u have a suggestion for a more permanent air damn. This is my first hydro and I need all the help I can get.
Thanks, Alvin

Darin Jordan
12-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Brian I can't make heads or tails of that air dam from the picture. Can you add a better picture or explain better how it is attached? Or do u have a suggestion for a more permanent air damn. This is my first hydro and I need all the help I can get.
Thanks, Alvin

Guys... the airdam is simply a couple of pieces of tape, stuck together along one half, and stuck to the hull with the other...

I've seen people use ABS angle, and also old wiper blade refills... Just use your imagination! All you are trying to do is make a vertical "fence" to disrupt the airflow... Think NASCAR rear spoiler (old school, not the COT wing) inverted under the boat...

no stick
12-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Just received my red one today. Big hole in the box but UL-1 survived shipping ok. NICE, very nice. There is a plug on port side of the transom I assume is used to let out water between the deck and bottom hull. Now to waterproof with corrosion x and install a 5 channel Spektrum Rx.

I can't believe there is NO antenna on the Aquacraft 2.4 Ghz Rx.

Set up for test. Rx is already bound to the Tx. Batteries plugged in. Turn on transmitter, one beep. Full throttle one beep. Back to neutral, three beeps and throttle armed. SIMPLE. This hydro is ready to run.

I've added a few quick pics.

Going to break up the ice on the pond and try it out as an ice breaker.:banana:

Ed

Fluid
12-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I used tape airdams for years but found them difficult to get placed neatly with my fingers anyway. Now I use a strip of foam from a pool noodle, 1/2" on a side and long enough to fit across the tunnel. I stick it down by covering it with a strip or two of 2" clear packing tape - works great. Too, it doesn't fold back at speed like the tape dams will, yet it is flexible if you hit something with it. It has stayed on at over 80 mph, and I have no reason to believe it won't work at twice that speed if I ever needed it to. :rockon2:

SLAUGHTER_AUS
12-12-2008, 12:29 AM
cant wait to get mine, hopefully next week...

no stick
12-12-2008, 08:22 AM
I used tape airdams for years but found them difficult to get placed neatly with my fingers anyway. Now I use a strip of foam from a pool noodle, 1/2" on a side and long enough to fit across the tunnel. I stick it down by covering it with a strip or two of 2" clear packing tape - works great. Too, it doesn't fold back at speed like the tape dams will, yet it is flexible if you hit something with it. It has stayed on at over 80 mph, and I have no reason to believe it won't work at twice that speed if I ever needed it to. :rockon2:

Ahhhh. A good explanation of the air dam. Now how far back from the nose/hull is it installed.

Ed

sewerpit
12-12-2008, 08:43 AM
a picture of one of these air dams would greatly help

sewerpit
12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
never mind see it a few posts back sorry

egneg
12-12-2008, 06:07 PM
I have good news and I have bad news.

First the good news - my boat arrived today!

Now the bad news - all I can do is look at the box as it will go under the tree.

This will be the longest 13 days of my life and I have been around for quite some time.

EATMYWAKE
02-04-2009, 03:50 PM
may i ask what batts you used?

Mel279
04-04-2009, 03:34 AM
Anybody having problem with range issue on UL-1 stock radio gear?anyone knows how far can it go?

EPower
04-04-2009, 03:52 AM
Oh Boy

alvinsmith75
04-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Anybody having problem with range issue on UL-1 stock radio gear?anyone knows how far can it go?

Mel in my opinion the radio is the best part of the boat. I also run this radio in one of my Traxxas vehicles. To test the range I put the reciever in the sealed, waterproof reciever box of the Stampede and was shocked to see it still go as far as I care to drive it. Never had a range issue in my boat either. I really think Tactic is on to something and they should design a controller with a memory to control several different units.:rockon2:

properchopper
04-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Never had a range issue in my boat either. I really think Tactic is on to something and they should design a controller with a memory to control several different units.:rockon2:

:iagree:

Flying Scotsman
04-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I have not tested mine yet on the water, but that is very good news considering the lack of an external antenna. I did a land test and was surprised at the range.

Douggie

sailr
04-04-2009, 08:56 PM
I have sold all my other radios and ordered 8 of the UL-1 TACTIC receivers. They are $25 apiece! Can you believe it!

sailr
04-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Agree. Aquacraft should come out with an upgraded computer based transmitter. They're really onto something with this radio. It is FLAWLESS. I'm running it in about 4 boats now and not a single glitch...ever! And no antenna...LOVE IT!

:iagree:

Mel279
04-05-2009, 06:42 AM
I don't even know that tactic rx has built in failsafe which is really great, now I don't have to worry if I go as far as possible :thumbup1:
its an awsome radio gear with antennaless rx, simple to use, less tx battery and i love it. :thumbup:

Diegoboy
04-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Sorry guys, we'll be getting this thread in it's rightful place momentarily. :doh:

sailr
04-05-2009, 02:50 PM
The radio is rock solid. No range issues I have found.

sailr
04-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Uh, why isn't this the right thread? We're talking about the UL-1 which is the topic of the thread....right?

Sorry guys, we'll be getting this thread in it's rightful place momentarily. :doh:

Diegoboy
04-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Sailr,
It is obvious that I am aware of this error. Thank you for re-stating the obvious. I moved this thread from the "main" board (where I can mod threads) to the "RTR" board (where I cannot). My mouse must have jumped when I selected the UL-1 thread. Once it left the "main" board, I can no longer touch it. I notified Steven via PM. When he logs in next, it will be corrected. Hence the post...

It's a minor inconvenience that I am truly sorry for. :bowdown:

detox
04-05-2009, 04:45 PM
What ever happened to Russ Williamson @ Aquacraft? When problems started rising about the UL-1 he has been VERY quite much like Aquacraft has been. Aquacrafts lawyers probably told them to shut up.

Doby
04-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Aquacrafts lawyers probably told them to shut up.

I spoke face to face with Grim at Toledo yesterday for about 45 minutes and they have heard what everyone is saying about the boat.

Also, comments like this are one of the reasons that they don't bother replying on the forums.

hobbimaster
04-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Doby, was anything said about steps being taken to correct the problems with QC, and improved hulls?

Steven Vaccaro
04-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I spoke face to face with Grim at Toledo yesterday for about 45 minutes and they have heard what everyone is saying about the boat.

Also, comments like this are one of the reasons that they don't bother replying on the forums.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but by now that should know. What was being said about resolutions?

theShark
04-06-2009, 01:17 AM
Mine came with this hole in it plus the leaky water jacket.

sailr
04-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Steven,
You are right. Inquiring minds want to know:iagree: I would think AQ wouldn't want to continue having the same quality deficiencies but it takes time to set up the corrections to be done on the other side of the world. The main problem might be that they already have an enormous number of the poor quality hulls and don't want to scrap 'em until they've sold them all. As a manufacturer, I would eat those hulls in the interest of good customer relations. They risk irreparably hurting their reputation if they continue to sell the ones they have now.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but by now that should know. What was being said about resolutions?