PDA

View Full Version : NEW Pro Boat RECOIL 26" Self-Righting!!

Darin Jordan
01-27-2016, 12:30 PM
Not to be overlooked...

Recoil 26-inch Self-Righting Deep-V BL:RTR

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=PRB08022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-NR8AwMFPI

Features

Capable of reaching speeds of 30+ mph
Self-righting hull system keeps you from going belly-up
Water-cooled 2100Kv brushless motor and 60-AMP Dynamite® ESC
11.1V 3200mAh 3S LiPo and LiPo balance charger included
Includes Pro Boat® 2.4Ghz marine radio system
Waterproof electronics
Injection molded radio tray
Aluminum rudder with stainless trim tabs
Stainless steel hardware
Flex shaft with Teflon liner
Composite molded 2 blade propeller

Specifications

Length:
26 in (660.4mm)
Beam:
7.9 in (200mm)
Motor Size:
2100Kv 14-Pole Brushless Outrunner Marine Motor, 33mm X 42mm
Weight:
3 LB (1.4 KG)
Speed:
30+ MPH
Radio:
2.4GHz 2-Channel Surface Transmiter
Speed Control:
60A BL Marine ESC 2-3S
Hull Material:
Blow Mold ABS
Trim Scheme Colors:
Yellow/Orange
Prop Size:
1.34 x 2.06
Hull Type:
Self-Righting Deep-V
Battery:
11.1V 3200mAh 3S 30C LiPo
Kit/RTR:
RTR
Drive System:
Flex Shaft
Is Assembly Required:
No

Rafael_Lopez
01-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Some behind the scenes bashing video. Max speed, in stock trim, at the end of the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI1hd1sXk_w&feature=youtu.be

Rafael_Lopez
01-29-2016, 05:57 PM
I know there isn't as much excitement about this boat as the Twin, but it's a real fun "basher" boat. I'm actually going to the beach with it this weekend to launch it off, and surf the waves. I'll make sure to post a video.

Rafael_Lopez
02-07-2016, 10:49 PM
The Recoil 26 is a very versatile boat.#HowDoYouLaunchYourBoat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoB8cax-jF0

And some rough water/beach fun.
https://youtu.be/OC5jE5LVVMM

98Corvette
02-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Any update on when it will be available? I am looking forward to buying one. I have a Joysway Offshore Infinity and it is a blast but it's trashed and I need a replacement self righting boat.

Rafael_Lopez
02-12-2016, 07:35 PM
The boat is still on schedule to start shipping the second week of March.

If anything changes well update the first post.

rcdrivertim
03-31-2016, 12:58 AM
Got mine. Love it. It is very stable! Wish I would get more run time. Also want to know if the motor can be changed seeing as the boat has a 60amp ESC. If it can would it handle a 4S? Hope some people put comments here and upgrades done.

Mitch S
03-31-2016, 06:44 AM
I've had mine for nearly a month now as well. Having some transmitter issues, but it will be fine.
I'm really enjoying the boat. I took the weighted coupler out and running 3s, 5000mah and its fun, with some good run times. Self righting feature works like a charm.

That being said, I'd be interested in some upgrades as well, looking for some larger trim tabs and fins

Darin Jordan
03-31-2016, 08:05 AM
I've had mine for nearly a month now as well. Having some transmitter issues, but it will be fine.
I'm really enjoying the boat. I took the weighted coupler out and running 3s, 5000mah and its fun, with some good run times. Self righting feature works like a charm.

That being said, I'd be interested in some upgrades as well, looking for some larger trim tabs and fins

Are you saying that the self-righting works WITHOUT the weighted coupler?? Stock motor still??

Curious, because I have done a pretty CRAZY upgrade experiment with my Recoil, having never actually driven it stock, and am about to test it today. I replaced the motor and ESC (well, all the electronics, actually) with a system suited for NAMBA N2-Offshore (2S Lipo, 3500-ish KV motor, etc.), but I retained the weighted coupler.

Would be interested to know more about your setup.

Rafael_Lopez
03-31-2016, 09:21 AM
[B]Are you saying that the self-righting works WITHOUT the weighted coupler?? Stock motor still??[\B]

Curious, because I have done a pretty CRAZY upgrade experiment with my Recoil, having never actually driven it stock, and am about to test it today. I replaced the motor and ESC (well, all the electronics, actually) with a system suited for NAMBA N2-Offshore (2S Lipo, 3500-ish KV motor, etc.), but I retained the weighted coupler.

Would be interested to know more about your setup.

Darin, he says he removed the coupler and is using a full size pack with the stock motor. It will not self-right with a full size pack and an inrunner.

The stock electronics, both ESC and motor, will not work with voltage higher than 3s. The ESC will not arm and if you install a different ESC the motor will literally burn up. There is a bit of room to prop up, but I'd stay away from props larger than 43-44mm with pitch greater than 1.6. This isn't a performance boat so I didn't do much prop testing. What I can tell you is that the ESC is more than enough for the stock motor with the stock prop, 1.6x1.6. The largest prop I tested with was an x442 and it ran well with no issues, but no major speed gains. If you over prop, the ESC will amp out before it burns up, or at least that's what is is programmed to do. The hulls speed limit is +/- 40mph. Any more than that and the boat will chime walk due to too much hull out of the water and the trim tabs being to far out of the water. One would have to install another set of tabs closer to the keel to try and settle it down, and probably larger turn fins. I got one over 40mph with a 2000kv inrunner and a 90A ESC on 4s, but didn't like the way it drove; I never added trim tabs lower to the keel.

Darin Jordan
03-31-2016, 09:31 AM
Darin, he says he removed the coupler and is using a full size pack with the stock motor. It will not self-right with a full size pack and an inrunner.

Awww... got it. I'll have to see if it'll self-right with this setup:

Rafael_Lopez
03-31-2016, 09:42 AM
I could not get it to self right with a 2000kv motor on 3s with the weighted coupler. Even with a 5000mah pack.

Darin Jordan
03-31-2016, 10:09 AM
I could not get it to self right with a 2000kv motor on 3s with the weighted coupler. Even with a 5000mah pack.

This is a 3500KV motor... :) We'll see... That's why we test.

Darin Jordan
03-31-2016, 10:11 AM
It won't be the end of the world for my purposes if it won't self-right... it WILL be if it SELF-FLIPS, though... ;)

Mitch S
03-31-2016, 04:36 PM
You've got Raphaels reply, but I'll give you mine any way.

I run the stock battery and a larger 5200mah. I've been able to have it self right with both batteries without the coupler, However, it does take more effort with the smaller pack.

idk, for me, the boat is fast enough to have fun with. I really have no desire to go faster with it. I do, however, want to find larger trim tabs and fins. Maybe it wont spin as easy, If anyone has a suggestion on tabs and fins, please let me know.

FYI, the stock motor runs to about 125 degrees on mine. Anyone else have any temp readings??

Darin Jordan
03-31-2016, 05:02 PM
If anyone has a suggestion on tabs and fins, please let me know.

Second set of stock trim-tabs, with the fins cut off... I think these turn-fins are from an IM31... But with different brackets...

142057 142058

Hasn't been tested AT ALL yet... I'm going to do that in about... well... about 1 hour from now. :)

rcdrivertim
03-31-2016, 06:20 PM

Be VERY careful with the receiver issues. I had the same problems. Almost lost it. HH had to send me a replacement but I don't trust it now since you have the same issues as I did. I have had the issues from the first day. Have not had to use the self righting feature yet. LOL Does the 5000mah battery make it lean to the left? What kind of run times are you getting with the 5000mah pack?

In enclosing, the distance I had problems with was under 100 feet. I put an on-road receiver from Spektrum and ran it with my Spektrum DX3S. Seemed okay. I didn't push the distance.

Rafael_Lopez
03-31-2016, 06:50 PM
Radio range with the Pro Boat radio system is only 150-200 feet, less if the antenna is facing away from you.

Mitch S
03-31-2016, 07:01 PM
I too have a new receiver on its way. Yes, it happened from the first battery.
HH has been great! A new one is on the way.

I just ran a 5200mah battery, It was a little choppy in my lake, and I flipped like 4 times :) No issue what so ever, Just stab the throttle, and flips right back over! Yes, it does lean to the left. It makes the handling very odd. It carves a nice turn when turning right. Turn sharp left, and it nose dives, water goes over the top. You must tape the lid.

I"ll say it again, great boat, fast, fun, a hoot to drive.

rcdrivertim
04-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Radio range with the Pro Boat radio system is only 150-200 feet, less if the antenna is facing away from you.

I am VERY surprised the boat only has a range of 150 to 200 feet. With the speed it has it will pass that range quickly. Most smaller ponds are bigger than 200 feet. Also, I just remember I had range issues UNDER 150 feet. Rafael, will a car receiver work on this boat? It will be inside of a balloon to protect it from water. The antennae is not long enough to come through regular tube. The ABS hull should not interfere with the range, correct?

Darin Jordan
04-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Honestly, if you are going to run RC Boats, I'd opt for an upgraded radio system and just plan on running that in all your boats. You can get a VERY reasonably priced mulit-Model Spektrum TX for about $100.00, with 20-Model Memory and compatible with the latest Spektrum waterproof RXs (SR210, SR310, etc.)...

Then you don't have to worry about some of these lower end supplied TXs. Those get you running, but everyone ALWAYS wants/expects more than these provide. :)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM4200W

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Content/ProductStatic/SPM4200/images/dx4c-glamour.png

Darin Jordan
04-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Also, RXs for boats with these TXs are inexpensive. Here is the SR210... 2-CH, waterproof, etc... $29.99....

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMSR210

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/SPM/450/SPMSR210-450.jpg

Rafael_Lopez
04-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Using the stock radio for boats is nothing new. We've been doing this for over a year know with the Blackjack 24 and Shockwave 26, with no complaints other than a bad RX/Tx here or there; nothing abnormal. A DX2e with a 310Rx is $60 if you want more range. "Car" receivers will work in any application. The only materials that hinder the performance of 2.4 are tightly woven composites like Carbon or Kevlar. Keep in mind that water deflects 2.4 radio waves so if the antenna is to low in the hull, range will suffer.

rcdrivertim
04-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Rafael, I understand what you are saying. The antenna isn't very long at all. I would say 3 to 4". This the older receiver from my DX3S. I like the radio very much. What do you think the range would be using this set up? Also since the antenna on the receiver I got with my DX3S is just a bit above the receiver would be okay to get more than 200 feet?

rcdrivertim
04-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Honestly, if you are going to run RC Boats, I'd opt for an upgraded radio system and just plan on running that in all your boats. You can get a VERY reasonably priced mulit-Model Spektrum TX for about $100.00, with 20-Model Memory and compatible with the latest Spektrum waterproof RXs (SR210, SR310, etc.)...

Then you don't have to worry about some of these lower end supplied TXs. Those get you running, but everyone ALWAYS wants/expects more than these provide. :)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM4200W

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Content/ProductStatic/SPM4200/images/dx4c-glamour.png

Darin, I would hate to buy another surface radio when I have the DX3S which cost me over $200.00

Darin Jordan
04-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Darin, I would hate to buy another surface radio when I have the DX3S which cost me over $200.00

Obviously, but you didn't mention that, did you??

Was just trying to help. :olleyes:

rcdrivertim
04-01-2016, 03:15 PM
I don't understand Darin. I know everyone is here to help and I appreciate it. I wasn't implying anything else. I meant no disrespect. Most people would not want to spend the money on another radio in an RTR that is $300.00. Proboat should realized that or at least listed that in their advertising. I would have returned mine or just not ordered it. Don't get me wrong, I like the boat very much. I think they should have offered an ARR. I would not have bought the boat knowing the lack of distance in the radio. Since I have driven it I doubt I can exchange it for a better model.

Again, I meant no offense.

Darin Jordan
04-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Again, I meant no offense.

No worries...

Having the DX3S available, you have several RX options that will work. Is this a recent DX3S, or have you had it awhile? I ask, because it makes a difference on what RXs will work well with it.

If it's OLDER, then you can always find some 2nd hand MR200s and you'll never have range concerns again. If it's newer, then the RX I posted above will work well.

I think the reason Pro Boat can't/doesn't provide ARR any longer is that it's simply one more stocking item. It's less expensive and more practical for them to offer these as RTR. And, it likely gets more people involved.

Never ideal situations, but with RTR stuff, there are always production compromises somewhere.

rcdrivertim
04-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Hey Darin.

I understand everything you said. It does make sense about one more item to stock. By the way my DX3S is the older one. I will look for a MR200. I have a 4 channel in there now with the shorter antennae. It cannot go up into the antennae tube though. Do you think that will be a problem?

Darin Jordan
04-01-2016, 06:07 PM
Hey Darin.

I understand everything you said. It does make sense about one more item to stock. By the way my DX3S is the older one. I will look for a MR200. I have a 4 channel in there now with the shorter antennae. It cannot go up into the antennae tube though. Do you think that will be a problem?

Shouldn't be, but radios are finicky. If you get the antenna as high in the hull as you can, you should be fine at reasonable ranges. I used to velocro my RXs upside down under the upper side of the hull to get the antennas out all the way. Keeps water out mostly too. :)

rcdrivertim
04-01-2016, 06:33 PM
Shouldn't be, but radios are finicky. If you get the antenna as high in the hull as you can, you should be fine at reasonable ranges. I used to velocro my RXs upside down under the upper side of the hull to get the antennas out all the way. Keeps water out mostly too. :)

Awesome idea! I will attach it with velcro or double sided tape. What type of range do you get with which radio. I appreciate all your help. If you learn any other hop ups or ideas please post it.

ray schrauwen
04-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Thanks for showing a reasonable radio upgrade. Prices are good.

Rafael_Lopez
04-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Rcdrivertim, I understand your frustration about the radio included with this boat, but let me explain how why we included it.

A 26" boat, people don't usually drive it away from shore 200 feet. What we find is that people usually stand in the middle and run left to right, meaning that you'll have a range in both directions; a total area of about 400 feet if you keep the boat within that 150-200 foot range. That's a very large area to run in for a 26" boat. Does that make sense? We at Pro Boat feel that area is more than enough distance for anyone to enjoy a boat this size. I did a boat demo with members of my local club and no one found the limit of the radio. If you are getting less range than what is shown on the video with the stock radio, call in and get another because yours is defective (you may have already).
http://youtu.be/BmjMlUjHqfw

TheShaughnessy
04-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Fwiw. I have seen many rtr/ TX ready models over there years. The price point is usually separated by about 25 bucks. The stock radio does indeed make the boat rtr, complaining about range to me is no different than saying, this boat only does 30mph, for 300 usd it should have a larger/ faster motor. If you ask me the consumer should have a bigger noodle and realize an rtr may require upgrading.
Not boat related but I just bought a wraith spawn and the stock motor took a dump last night after 6 packs. I'm not calling customer service to gripe, I know it's a cheapie brushed motor with a limited lifespan. If something is defective, sure let's let CS know about it, but this seems more an issue of quality vs defective

rcdrivertim
04-02-2016, 04:50 PM
Fwiw. I have seen many rtr/ TX ready models over there years. The price point is usually separated by about 25 bucks. The stock radio does indeed make the boat rtr, complaining about range to me is no different than saying, this boat only does 30mph, for 300 usd it should have a larger/ faster motor. If you ask me the consumer should have a bigger noodle and realize an rtr may require upgrading.
Not boat related but I just bought a wraith spawn and the stock motor took a dump last night after 6 packs. I'm not calling customer service to gripe, I know it's a cheapie brushed motor with a limited lifespan. If something is defective, sure let's let CS know about it, but this seems more an issue of quality vs defective

Excuse me, my noodle, really? Get a grip with how you talk to people. As for as expecting more speed, the box says something about 30mph. I never complained about speed if you paid attention. There is nothing mentioned about TX range. That, my friend, would made me buy another boat. A Pro Boat actually. It is my fault I didn't ask.

In closing, have a great day. :-)

As for your problem, that's your problem. Also, my receiver was defective. Which was replaced by HH's excellent customer service.

rcdrivertim
04-02-2016, 05:07 PM
Rcdrivertim, I understand your frustration about the radio included with this boat, but let me explain how why we included it.

A 26" boat, people don't usually drive it away from shore 200 feet. What we find is that people usually stand in the middle and run left to right, meaning that you'll have a range in both directions; a total area of about 400 feet if you keep the boat within that 150-200 foot range. That's a very large area to run in for a 26" boat. Does that make sense? We at Pro Boat feel that area is more than enough distance for anyone to enjoy a boat this size. I did a boat demo with members of my local club and no one found the limit of the radio. If you are getting less range than what is shown on the video with the stock radio, call in and get another because yours is defective (you may have already).

Rafael, I appreciate your response and posting that video. I was unable to get more than 100ft. HH has great customer service as usual. They sent me a new receiver. I may keep the DX3S in it now and mount the receiver up under the inside so the antenna can stick in to the black tube. I really like the boat as it is my first one. I will upgrade to another Pro Boat when the boss gives me permission. What kind of time did you get when you put those 5000 packs in? I have 5 3S packs and don't want to replace them unless I can get a few more minutes of run time. On the stock pack, mixed throttle, I get around 6 minutes. The ESC did cut off at 3.9 V per cell. My other batteries cut off at about 3.7 per cell.

Thank you for your help!

rcdrivertim
04-03-2016, 09:45 PM

Rafael, I put the new receiver in. MAJOR difference in range. I can drive much further now. Makes the boat more fun to drive. Looking at a 3S 5000 but I am concerned about the self righting working right. I don't wanna lose it.

Thanks much!

JimClark
04-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Test the self righting in a bath tub to check your battery placement

Rafael, I put the new receiver in. MAJOR difference in range. I can drive much further now. Makes the boat more fun to drive. Looking at a 3S 5000 but I am concerned about the self righting working right. I don't wanna lose it.

Thanks much!

rcdrivertim
04-03-2016, 11:30 PM
Test the self righting in a bath tub to check your battery placement

I will have to borrow a 3S 5000 pack to try self righting feature. I hope so. This boat is a lot of fun to drive. Next boat either the Miss Geico or Black Jack 29. $430 for a veracity is a little much for being as I started with the Recoil 26. Many years cars and planes but, very new to boats.

Thanks Jim

Mitch S
04-04-2016, 08:09 AM
I run my Recoil on 5000 3S with out the weighted coupler. You'll have no problems righting it. I went a little nuts yesterday and flipped it about 4-5 times, landed on the roof, no sweat. small reverse blip, then full throttle, and she flips right over :)

I do notice it flips a little easier with the bigger pack though, no big deal. And be sure to tape the lid.

Still waiting for my new receiver, :(

Mitch S
04-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Happy to report that I received my new receiver in the mail today, ran one battery through it (2S.. sloow) but zero glitches.
Also, I mounted the receiver much higher in the hull to get more antenna out the top. In the stock postition, about 1.5 inches come out the hull.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/msirlin/Miss%20Geico%2029%203V/20160404_192949.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/msirlin/media/Miss%20Geico%2029%203V/20160404_192949.jpg.html)

rcdrivertim
04-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Nice! I still wanna know why the boat, in pretty tight turns, scrubs all the speed off. Sounds like the prop can't get water to it. Once the turn is complete it planes and rockets off. Any ideas?

FLMIBrewer
04-25-2016, 04:34 PM
The Octura x640 and M440 props work well for this boat, stock setup. Dramatic improvement! It hauls with either one. Boat rides higher, faster, and loose with the M440. Started chine walking too. Going to give a X440 and ABC 40x53 a shot next. Will report back. Sorry no actual speeds, no logger yet. Speed on turns more consistent and higher now. It doesn't scrub off like it used to stock.

Rafael_Lopez
04-25-2016, 04:53 PM
Install another set of tabs closer to the keel. Should take care of the issue you are seeing with increased speeds. The part number for the stock tabs with back mount plates is PRB281014. You can just break off the turn fin part of it.

Mitch S
05-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Thanks for that tip Rafael,
It also needs more fin. I just ordered a set of tabs/fins for the "Stealthwake" they look to be just a bit bigger all around, and I'll trim the fins off the stockers. Will report back once they get here.

Also, can the RECOIL Get its own sub forum under RTR Fast Electric Talk ?

rcboone2000
05-18-2016, 12:47 PM
Is anyone else having problems with the motor shutting down about every 30 to 40 feet.My battery is fine I've checked that I've changed speed control no change I finally changed the stock prop to a m220 with that prop it will run a full battery no shut downs.We have 3 boats they are all doing the same thing.

rcboone2000
05-18-2016, 12:48 PM
That should be m440

Mitch S
05-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Replaced the anemic trim tabs with the ones from the Stealthwake.
Not a direct bolt on, had to drill new holes, but a world of a difference. They really should consider just using these.
I did have to notch the right side, as you can see in the pic. Far better.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/msirlin/Miss%20Geico%2029%203V/20160520_181759.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/msirlin/media/Miss%20Geico%2029%203V/20160520_181759.jpg.html)

airbiscuit
05-30-2016, 09:32 AM
^^What prop is that?

stony30
07-15-2016, 07:12 PM
^^What prop is that? Yes, which prop is it ?

stony30
07-17-2016, 01:47 AM

Thanks much! Which receiver did you use ? My boat was also losing range at only maybe 50 feet and HH sent me a ecx13003 receiver as a replacement. Is that good for at least 200 or more feet if I get as much antenna out of the boat as I can ?

Mitch S
07-17-2016, 04:01 AM
Yes, which prop is it ?

Sorry for the delay,
Its a CNC Prop, 40mm.
The boat was considerably faster but also ran considerably hotter.
I did not take temps but I will and report back.

stony30
07-19-2016, 12:44 AM
Happy to report that I received my new receiver in the mail today, ran one battery through it (2S.. sloow) but zero glitches.
Also, I mounted the receiver much higher in the hull to get more antenna out the top. In the stock postition, about 1.5 inches come out the hull.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f384/msirlin/Miss%20Geico%2029%203V/20160404_192949.jpg (http://s51.photobucket.com/user/msirlin/media/Miss%20Geico%2029%203V/20160404_192949.jpg.html)

Which receiver do you get ? Stock one ?

stony30
07-20-2016, 01:31 PM
Which receiver do you get ? Stock one ?Has anyone else have issues with 50 feet or so total range ? Does the replacement one HH sends out when you call them solve the problem or do I just have to relocate it higher in the hull to get more of the antenna exposed ?

stony30
07-23-2016, 05:01 PM
No one ?

stony30
07-27-2016, 01:39 AM
No one ?
Thanks guys. Hh is sending me an upgraded radio system

98Corvette
08-03-2016, 07:03 PM
? I am looking to get a recoil 26. I kmow they go about 30mph stock. Im looking to upgrade the motor and prop and want to run around 40mph which I hear is about the limit for this hull. I have a 5000mah , two 3850mah and two 3300mah packs that ibwill be using. Can someone recommend a motor (Leopard) and water jacket and prop that will get around 40mph (part numbers please) I will be running stock esc first then ipgrade if necessary. I am goung to install the larger trim tab fins from stealthwake to help stability. Any ideas?

rcboone2000
08-03-2016, 07:53 PM
I'm getting 38 mph out of mine with the stock motor and a 120 amp speed control with a x 642 prop and a 3600 ma 50c battery.The boat will still self rite.The recoil is more fun than all of my fast boats

98Corvette
08-04-2016, 01:55 PM
What esc are you using? Do you have speed tests before esc and prop?

rcboone2000
08-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Turnigy 120

rcboone2000
08-04-2016, 02:55 PM
My boat stock ran 32 mph if u get a recoil make sure u put floatation in it my friend lost his he had the sides of the canopy taped

stony30
08-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Sorry for the delay,
Its a CNC Prop, 40mm.
The boat was considerably faster but also ran considerably hotter.
I did not take temps but I will and report back.
Well ???

Mitch S
08-06-2016, 09:58 PM
havent run it since

stony30
08-07-2016, 02:00 AM
havent run it sinceLol

98Corvette
09-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know of a upgraded motor that will fit in this boat?? I want more speed. I ran the boat all stock with a 3850 mah (heavier than the stock battery) and could only get 28 mph out of it. I just upgraded the ESC to a Seaking 120, just ran it and got 27mph (It was a smaller pond that I normally don't go to) I'm guessing if I had more room it could have done the 28mph like before. I am on the stock prop for now, I have a sharpened and balanced X442 coming in about 2 weeks. Any ideas on a different motor (part number please) that will easily fit in this boat, and is the x442 a good choice? I hoping to get 34mph with the new prop but I'd like to see around 40 mph. It has a bad 'LAG' from a dead stop, my friends does the same thing, is there any adjustments I can do to get the boat quicker from a dead stop?

EDIT: I read the post on here 'Darin's RECOIL 26 "N2-Offshore" Modiciations' and saw that the TP3630 was a direct fit. I am considering this motor but not sure which one to get. I will be running 3s
here's a chart I found on these motors. Can someone help me pick out the one that will work best for this boat?

FLMIBrewer
09-05-2016, 07:42 AM
I would stay with a Outrunner or your going to lose the self right feature. Heli Outrunners seem to work the best. I would not go over a 1000 watts with this hull. I am with stock setup running mine with a m440 and it hauls and pulls about 850 watts with a 5200mah 50c batt! I've tried alot of 2 blades and that one works best for me and the electronics (temps). Your lag on throttle is either throttle not calibrated to esc correctly, or start up speed on your setting on esc if you have that parameter option. I would check esc settings, rebind, calibrate throttle in that order. If your running rtr radio gear boat came with that's probably not going to change and could also be the reason. Hope this helps

98Corvette
09-06-2016, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the advice. As far as the TP motors I couldn't find a supplier that has them. I was also considering a Leopard motor. Does anyone know what size and kV I should get for 3s. I will just keep my fingers crossed and hope the self right feature still works. Or FLMIBrewer, do you have any recommendations on which Outrunner to get (brand and part #) thanks

One thing I am going to try out for the heck of it is the stock motor from my Blackjack29 V2. Any guesses on if it will be faster ? I think it is 1800kv.

FLMIBrewer
09-07-2016, 08:16 AM
Leopard makes outrunners too. Check rcecho.com they have lots of leopards.

rcboone2000
09-07-2016, 02:13 PM
I'm getting 38 mph with the stock motor and a 120 amp speed control with a x642 s/b I have tried a blackjack 29 2000 kv motor I didn't like the instability at speeds above 38 to 40 mph. I also am running a 3300ma 50c batterys the 5000ma 60c were to heavy and slowed the boat down.Also at 38 mph I have bent the rudder bracket bad enough so the rudder hits the prop and ruins it

Jeff04011
09-08-2016, 08:48 AM
I'm getting 38 mph with the stock motor and a 120 amp speed control with a x642 s/b I have tried a blackjack 29 2000 kv motor I didn't like the instability at speeds above 38 to 40 mph. I also am running a 3300ma 50c batterys the 5000ma 60c were to heavy and slowed the boat down.Also at 38 mph I have bent the rudder bracket bad enough so the rudder hits the prop and ruins it

How hot was the stock motor getting with that set-up? Which 120 amp speed controller are you using?

rcboone2000
09-08-2016, 10:43 AM
I'm using a turnigy 120 speed control. It stays cool to the touch and the motor runs 120 and 130 and that's continuous running until the low voltage shut down. I also opened up the rudder water pickup hole.We have 3 of the boats in the family and I also have both of the zeLos, voracity,lmpluse v3,blackjack v3 and mistic.But this is the boat we always take to the lake it is a blast to run and a lot less of a worry.Just make sure u put floatation in it and tape the hatch

Jeff04011
09-09-2016, 11:26 AM
I'm using a turnigy 120 speed control. It stays cool to the touch and the motor runs 120 and 130 and that's continuous running until the low voltage shut down. I also opened up the rudder water pickup hole.We have 3 of the boats in the family and I also have both of the zeLos, voracity,lmpluse v3,blackjack v3 and mistic.But this is the boat we always take to the lake it is a blast to run and a lot less of a worry.Just make sure u put floatation in it and tape the hatch

Thanks for the info. I've ordered the ESC and prop; already have some of those 3300 mAh batteries.

Rafael_Lopez
09-09-2016, 09:47 PM
In order to keep the self right feature with an inrunner, you must use a motor with greater than 2600KV, less than 3200, and keep the weighted coupler. For this you will need to upgrade to at least a 90A ESC, ideally a 120. 4S would be too much, so you'd have to stick to 3s.

boatsrnew2me
10-23-2016, 02:13 PM
hey guys ,
new member here ,found the forum during a info search on the recoil . that said i have a few questions .
on the box it says capable of 30+mph with optional accessories , what are these optional accessories to get that speed?

i was looking into a Atomik barbwire initially until i found this boat . in comparison the motor in the barbwire looks much larger and beefier then the motor is this recoil . would you say this boat has a undersized motor? or am i comparing apples to oranges here ?

keep in mind i know nothing about boats .i have however been into all other aspects of rc for many years .

is there a direct bolt on prop upgrade that works well with the recoil? i am sure i will want to go faster in short time . i hope more info and talk comes about for this boat .

one more thing , i have a dx2e and a spektrum avc land receiver ,is it perfectly fine to use this combo on the boat ?
thanks guys

Jeff04011
10-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Boatsrnew2me: see post 69 above. I'm now using the ESC and prop mentioned in that post and my boat seems a little faster to me. I don't have GPS data to verify but I posted a video on YouTube after the upgrade and there is a couple of videos posted there too before the upgrade if you want to watch and compare for yourself. https://youtu.be/7vVwi6l97Qk

boatsrnew2me
11-07-2016, 04:31 PM
woooo whooooo, just scored a new in box recoil 26 on ebay for 218.50 and guess what ? its at my local hobbytown . picking it up tonight .
i seen the DCB M41 Widebody Catamaran go as low as 389.00 and another for 429.00 .

fweasel
11-07-2016, 05:26 PM
interesting tactic to liquidate seasonal merchandise.

boatsrnew2me
11-07-2016, 08:11 PM
interesting tactic to liquidate seasonal merchandise.

actually he said he just bought the company from previous owner and wants to get rid of some old stock ,or stuff thats been sitting . either way i got great deal on the boat . extra money left over for another lipo now .
here she is just got home .
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r679/joe3857/DSCF7130_zps1ddkfas6.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/joe3857/media/DSCF7130_zps1ddkfas6.jpg.html)

do you need to grease the shaft right out the box before first run??

urbs00007
11-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Shouldn't be, but radios are finicky. If you get the antenna as high in the hull as you can, you should be fine at reasonable ranges. I used to velocro my RXs upside down under the upper side of the hull to get the antennas out all the way. Keeps water out mostly too. :) darin, interested in buying the recoil to retrieve my gas rigger by dragging a string around it and reeling it in with a fishing reel. couple questions if you dont mind. first , is there a way to use my futaba 3pmx for the rigger and the recoil? if so, is there a reasonably priced reciever that will work instead of the high priced futaba? next question, what is a better battery that will give longer run times than the stock battery and still retain self-righting. the self righting is the only reason i am considering buying the recoil. cant imagine going to retrieve my boat and then having 2 boats dead in the water. thanks for the help in advance.

boatsrnew2me
11-14-2016, 01:59 PM
ya know i thought it be faster ?

maybe its just me ,coming from 50 mph land rc speeds and expecting too much . gonna need more lipos ,5-6 minute run time burns up fast .
red flashing esc is low voltage cutoff i presume?
left me with 4% left in the lipos ,thats pretty low .
is the esc in the recoil programmable ?

i think i was experiencing tx cutout as it would cut out for a split second then resume at a not great distance .

whats a good direct fit faster prop for the recoil?

thanks everyone

boatsrnew2me
11-14-2016, 06:44 PM
got a video of todays run . most of this is full throttle runs . speed look about right to you ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjtxWC0UBqU&feature=youtu.be

fweasel
11-14-2016, 07:44 PM
Seems about right for a 26" RTR boat.

boatsrnew2me
11-14-2016, 07:56 PM
thanks weasel

rcboone2000
11-14-2016, 08:30 PM
I run our 3 boats loose my trim tabs are level with the bottom of the hull. My prop strut is 4.5 mm measured from top of strut down to strut support.In stock form it ran 32 mph.

boatsrnew2me
11-14-2016, 08:37 PM
running mine in out the box condition .
if you move the strut down to put more prop in the water what does that do for you?
if you move it up what does that do?

thanks

rcboone2000
11-14-2016, 08:41 PM
Raising the prop loosens up the boat makes it faster

boatsrnew2me
11-19-2016, 07:49 PM
has anyone tried the Pro Boat Stainless Steel Propeller PRB0154 on the recoil?

boatsrnew2me
11-22-2016, 10:39 AM
just bought a m440 ,will balance it and give it a go when it gets here

boatsrnew2me
12-06-2016, 07:07 PM
todays run . boat has a m440 prop now .didnt notice any performance gain . going to get a cnc 42x1.6 (same as x426) and try that . using a dx4c now ,range is much much better .
water was choppy today . it was cold out too . cam died before i could film the second run .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e37HdQhE2z8

rcboone2000
12-06-2016, 08:01 PM
When I went with a x642 prop I had to up grade my speed control the stock one over amped.I put a Turnigy 120 amp speed control

boatsrnew2me
12-08-2016, 08:43 AM
and what kind of speeds are you seeing? Rafael said he runs a x642 on his and never mentioned the esc couldnt handle it .
what does it do when it over amps? i dont want to be stranded on the water

rcboone2000
12-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Mine would shut down.I would let it set about a minute and it would run about a hundred feet and shut down again.My data loger showed power spikes of 90 to 100 amp with the x642.My boat runs 37 to 38 mph.At that speed the boat gets unstable but that's how I like it.

boatsrnew2me
12-08-2016, 12:18 PM
well i guess it will be test and see .Rafael said this about his

"As far as props, a x642 should work well, just make sure to balance and sharpen it very well. If you don't have the means to do that, get a CNC equivalent. That would be a 42mmx1.6 pitch prop."

and he said this too

"I actually run an X642 in mine with the only "issue" being that the stock battery gets a bit warm. Should be fine with a full size pack and the weighted coupler replaced by a standard coupler; PRB3308. "

these quotes are why i ordered the 642 cnc

rcboone2000
12-08-2016, 12:35 PM
You may be OK with that prop.All I know is that the 3 recoils that we have would not pull the x642 s/b I also thined the blades to a razor edge.Out of all of my boats the recoil is my favorite boat I dont have to worry about flipping it or sinking it.I love watching it do 360 720 spins or hitting a wave and it flying then nose diving under water.

boatsrnew2me
12-08-2016, 12:49 PM
You may be OK with that prop.All I know is that the 3 recoils that we have would not pull the x642 s/b I also thined the blades to a razor edge.Out of all of my boats the recoil is my favorite boat I dont have to worry about flipping it or sinking it.I love watching it do 360 720 spins or hitting a wave and it flying then nose diving under water.
cant argue with that . i just need a little more speed to make it exciting .

rcboone2000
12-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Run the boat loose I have raised my drive as high as it will let me without bending the stuffing tube and the trim tabs are right tab level with hull left tab 2 mm above hull I slide my 3200ma battery all the way back against the transom.I also put my flex shaft in a drill and polished it with 380 grit sand paper

boatsrnew2me
12-28-2016, 05:30 AM
sure was nice out yesterday . about 55 here . gave me a chance to test out the cnc prop and the garmin 101 .
notice how the cnc prop uses alot of the drive dog threads . i put blue loctite on just to be safe .
the cnc prop is all ready to go for you ,its pretty thin/lightweight and sharpened .see my speed at the end . boat running kinda wet ,going to raise the prop and try another run and see if i get a little more speed .

what you think ,running a bit wet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kphGuVFrKKY

boatsrnew2me
12-28-2016, 01:35 PM
so todays run was not as eventful as i had hoped . the first run pulled another 24.8 .it was slugish again . thinking "this cant be right" i recalibrated my tx to the esc and went for another run .
there was immediate difference ,the boat was faster ,up out the water more(i raised the prop this morning)and running looser .
i thought this was for sure better then my best time .

well...............
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r679/joe3857/IMG_3109_zps4jwuakvo.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/joe3857/media/IMG_3109_zps4jwuakvo.jpg.html)

maybe it was the cold temp? it was 55 out yesterday and 35 today .

boatsrnew2me
01-04-2017, 08:23 PM
todays run . the octura m440 seems the better choice over the cnc 42x1.6 . gets up on plane faster ,almost the same top speed .
the day i shot the cnc prop video it was 55 degrees out and water a little choppy . and i got 32.4 mph .

today was 45 degrees with winds of 10-20 mph ,choppy water . you will have to watch the video to see todays top speed .

something interesting happened today .watch the video to find out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZatZtAv9xhM

rcboone2000
01-07-2017, 06:57 PM
boatsrnew2me. Did u get my pm.

boatsrnew2me
01-07-2017, 07:42 PM
i did but must have deleted after reading it . send it again .

rcboone2000
01-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Resent

boatsrnew2me
01-11-2017, 10:00 AM
if you watched my last video you would be aware i tore the transom open . it was cracked open pretty good . shocked i didnt notice until i got home .
it snapped back together pretty tightly .no pieces were missing . i used gorilla super glue to seal the cracks inside and out .
the boat is in the tub for a leak test right now .
if it wasnt for the glue you probably couldnt see it had been cracked open

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r679/joe3857/DSCF7196_zpsdvxp9g2a.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/joe3857/media/DSCF7196_zpsdvxp9g2a.jpg.html)

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r679/joe3857/DSCF7200_zpsmw1lzgut.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/joe3857/media/DSCF7200_zpsmw1lzgut.jpg.html)

boatsrnew2me
01-11-2017, 11:57 AM
once it snapped back together all that was left was hairline cracks .
water is getting in actually . but apon further inspection it appears the epoxy used to secure the stuffing tube has separated from the hull so i think some is getting in from the stuffing tube area .

just dried it out and put it back in its stand .going to have to wait for it to fully dry and reseal around the epoxy area .

boatsrnew2me
01-26-2017, 01:21 PM
boat all sealed up and running . had it out last 2 days . today it pulled 31.1 on the cnc prop with alot of chop on the water and 15 mph winds . i`d say thats not too bad .
the m440 prop gets up on plane faster ,the cnc 42x1.6 takes a bit longer .