PDA

View Full Version : pro boat has a 36" twin cat !

paulfromtulsa
01-27-2016, 11:35 AM
http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=PRB08021

arrover
01-27-2016, 11:50 AM
I just saw it!!!! Amazing! This is the boat I have been waiting for. I didn't expect twins.

kfxguy
01-27-2016, 12:01 PM
Good things come to those who wait....there was some hints thrown out there on this lol. From what I heard it runs mid 60's out the box. Sharpen and balance the props and it'll be even better. Or better yet a set of abc props....

kfxguy
01-27-2016, 12:03 PM
I wonder how the hull strength is in this one. I like the steering setup.

arrover
01-27-2016, 12:09 PM
Yes, now I'm glad I held off on the Skater (even though it looks nice). I kind of thought I was close to done buying props but I guess not...

Darin Jordan
01-27-2016, 12:12 PM
I wonder how the hull strength is in this one. I like the steering setup.

Hull is a tank! You're going to have to WORK to break this one. Seriously.

Test boat was fun. Definitely capable of upper 50s out of the box.

I'm already getting ready to prop mine for the Q-Cat Class, if it makes the numbers at the FE Nats this year... :spy:

STOCK motor on LEFT... Replacement motor on RIGHT. :w00t:

paulfromtulsa
01-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Somebody posted that they got 72mph out of it with the stock setup. And the motor size is a misprint on proboat site it has two 36x60 not 56x87. When I saw those specs I was like no way that's awesome but then found out it was a misprint. Oh well

arrover
01-27-2016, 12:15 PM
So the stock motors are out of the Impulse 31v3? And your motor upgrade is Voracity motors? Wow, that should fly!

kfxguy
01-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Hull is a tank! You're going to have to WORK to break this one. Seriously.

Test boat was fun. Definitely capable of upper 50s out of the box.

I'm already getting ready to prop mine for the Q-Cat Class, if it makes the numbers at the FE Nats this year... :spy:

STOCK motor on LEFT... Replacement motor on RIGHT. :w00t:

That's good to hear. I'm pretty disappointed in my last hull that cracked and split so easily.

kfxguy
01-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Somebody posted that they got 72mph out of it with the stock setup. And the motor size is a misprint on proboat site it has two 36x60 not 56x87. When I saw those specs I was like no way that's awesome but then found out it was a misprint. Oh well

How did someone post 72, it's not even out yet?

Darin Jordan
01-27-2016, 12:40 PM

Would be interested to know where that came from... the boats not even on the shelves yet.

Wasn't me... I definitely was able to get into the mid-50's without much effort. Wasn't able to fully push it in the area I was testing...

Rafael_Lopez
01-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Hull strength is not an issue, I went 2 extra layers of glass than what the Voracity has. At least none of my testers experienced issues with the hulls; but then again we never saw anything with the Voracity 36 either. So, that's 5 layers of glass total on this boat. It's a heavy boat. I mean, nothing is unbreakable, but I did my best to make sure that as the speed went up, so did the layering of the hull.

Also I'm updating the picture of the back of the boat. It does include a break away rudder.

Rafael_Lopez
01-27-2016, 12:43 PM
That's good to hear. I'm pretty disappointed in my last hull that cracked and split so easily.
Good thing for you, you didn't have to pay for it. ;)

We've only replaced 6 Voracity hulls due to cracking issues. If it's happening more than that, no one is calling us.

Anyways, back to the new boat!

arrover
01-27-2016, 01:01 PM
At least nine of my testers experienced issues with the hulls; but then again we never saw anything with the Voracity 36 either.

Also I'm updating the picture of the back of the boat. It does include a break away rudder.

I think you meant no issues with the hulls? Yay for a break away rudder! So those props would be similar to Octura x442?

Rafael_Lopez
01-27-2016, 01:05 PM
I think you meant no issues with the hulls? Yay for a break away rudder! So those props would be similar to Octura x442?

Fixed, thanks for catching that. I hate posting off my phone. So, yes, none of the testers has issues with this hull. I actually had one of of our testers text me this morning telling me he showed it to a member of his boat club and he's convinced on buying one now.

Rafael_Lopez
01-27-2016, 01:45 PM
Here is some behind the scenes testing I did late last year with a production sample. I test with plain hulls so if anyone asks, it's a custom boat I ordered from China ;).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P01Ou1nsiuQ

paulfromtulsa
01-27-2016, 02:00 PM
How did someone post 72, it's not even out yet?
A guy named Joshua Cyrus posted it on Facebook. Maybe he works for proboat or something

Rafael_Lopez
01-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Haha, Josh just outed himself as one of my testers. No bid deal, I like to see our testers doing their job.

He does indeed have one of these boats in all white. If he got there stock, be probably bumped the timing up from 7.5 to 15*. Anyone who does this is doing so at their own risk. But it can be done.

properchopper
01-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Rafael,

Check your inbox:wink:

Tony

Rafael_Lopez
01-27-2016, 03:14 PM
Got it Tony, thanks! :)

arrover
01-27-2016, 04:34 PM
Rafael, since the pre-order is an option, I'm guessing that these are on their way from the factory? Are these stock props similar to an Octura x442?

Rafael_Lopez
01-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Yes, they are on the water and should be here by the first to second week of March, as long as no storms or port issues impact the shipment. Also, I've made sure that every replacement part shipped with the initial order of boats.

And yes, the props have the same dimensions as the x442 props. I found that this series of props provided the best lift, for the power output of the electronics. Other props didn't provide enough lift and I could never get the boat more than 3/4 throttle or it would flip backwards. These seemed to be the sweet spot.....and they kick up a hell of a roost, lol. If one chooses to run props with a higher rake, you'd have to dial in some negative angle to compensate for the lack of lift. The stock props allowed me to set the struts level, out of the box, which is how they are set up in our videos.

Doby
01-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Impressive...and AQ continues to offer nothing new, well done ProBoat!

Heath M
01-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Very cool RTR model.
How does one become a tester?

T.S.Davis
01-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Hull strength is not an issue, I went 2 extra layers of glass than what the Voracity has. At least none of my testers experienced issues with the hulls; but then again we never saw anything with the Voracity 36 either. So, that's 5 layers of glass total on this boat.

Actual running weight is a non issue with a 6s boat IMO. However, the weight of the glass might give us a hint as to the strength. Rafael, do you know if it's S or E glass and what weight those 5 layers are?

If these take off Darin, you probably will get enough Q cats for some nats heats. We typically run Q, S, and T cats together in MI. We haven't seen the class dominated by any particular cell count. Although, it's pretty tough to beat PAGS and Freddy running 6s Sprints. They're so stable at speed. If we get enough we break them up.

pistol18
01-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Wow, another new boat, just awesome!
It's great to have Darin and all his experience and posts to learn from. Also, having Rafael here showing us some "behind the curtain" things is neat and doesn't usually happen. I've been debating on getting the Zelos or the Rockstar but now this twin has me thinking about it too, decisions decisions.....
:rockon2:

Rafael_Lopez
01-30-2016, 12:43 AM
I'll post a picture of the cats, 48 and 36, side by side on Monday to hopefully help you decide.

Banzee
01-30-2016, 09:25 PM
Did you try the new Cat in real rough water like i drive Rafael ??

Rafael_Lopez
01-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Did you try the new Cat in real rough water like i drive Rafael ??

No. We don't test boats in extreme conditions. Honestly, I wouldn't even run a real boat where you run:tt2:

ChevyPrerunner
01-31-2016, 01:10 AM
Awesome looking Cat Rafael and ProBoat! Can't wait to get one and kinda glad i didn't order a Voracity a few months ago.. Patience is key lol that and its tax season!

Xcessive Carts
01-31-2016, 06:06 AM
Put my order in at LHS, now the wait begins. And, I hate waiting for anything.

Banzee
01-31-2016, 12:13 PM
No. We don't test boats in extreme conditions. Honestly, I wouldn't even run a real boat where you run:tt2:

Lol ! I know that !!

Rafael_Lopez
01-31-2016, 12:59 PM
Banzee, you may be able to get away with running in between the waves, but I don't think the boat will do well running over them, like the V does. Since the boat rides over the water, I feel you will have a hard time getting it past 1/2 throttle with out something unfavorable happening, more than likely flipping it.

Banzee
01-31-2016, 02:28 PM
Banzee, you may be able to get away with running in between the waves, but I don't think the boat will do well running over them, like the V does. Since the boat rides over the water, I feel you will have a hard time getting it past 1/2 throttle with out something unfavorable happening, more than likely flipping it.

Getting more than half throttle in that condition it is not possible for sure , the thing with the cat in that kind of waves , it is not the waves by themselves , but more the wind that will go unter the Cat and let flip over often. With the V type boat , the y handle better cuz they don't grip the wind too much , but just when you make a turn with a side wind that flip the boat over . My first impression when i bought the VOracity was that the boat was not able to handle rought , but after sevarall runs and giving me the possibility to know how to drive it , i finally get a good ride in that conditions . So i Think i can handle very rough with a Cat , just need proper setup , that is different than speed run setup or racing ! It look like the Zelos come vey well equiped , So i can say that you did a very good Job on that boat Rafael . My only complain is that Why you did not produce the Zelos 36 Before the Voracity !! lol

Ben