PDA

View Full Version : Black pearl

TRUCKPULL
01-25-2016, 11:42 PM
This is a set of pictures that I took while building this Kit that I got from Pete
I am sorry that I did not get any pic's of the frame by itself.
This kit went together very easily.

In this build I only used CA to tack the frame together.
Everything else is glued with EPOXY

Pic. #1 - Turn Fin bracket with extra mount rod

Pic. #2 - Blind nuts with an extra 1/8" ply inside the Sponson

Pic. #3 - Pink foam cut to fit and glued in

Larry

TRUCKPULL
01-25-2016, 11:46 PM
Pic. #1 - Sponson foam glued in

Pic. #2 - Foam all sanded

Pic. #3 -Sponson sides sanded

Larry

TRUCKPULL
01-25-2016, 11:50 PM
Pic. #1 - Sponson sides installed

Pic. #2 - First step in sanding and shaping the sponson bottoms. Take a reading across the bottom of the hull, and set your level to zero.

Pic. #3 - Right sponson as seen from the bottom
Sanded flat to 0.0 degrees, you must check the entire length, as well as the recovery pad.

Larry

TRUCKPULL
01-25-2016, 11:54 PM
Pic. #1 - I set the Left sponson at 1.9 degrees and check it all the way forward to the tip of the sponson

Pic. #2 - Now set your level lengthwise on the bottom and reset to 0.0 degrees

Pic. #3 - Now you can check your angle of attack, and make sure that they are both the same.

Larry

TRUCKPULL
01-25-2016, 11:58 PM
Pic. #1 - Sponson recovery pads installed

Pic. #2 - I use 1/16" G-10 fiberglass plate for my ride pads. - Sponson ride pads installed.

Pic. #3 -Installing the decking - lots of weight and clamps to keep everything flat and tight.

Larry

TRUCKPULL
01-26-2016, 12:08 AM
Pic. #1 - Fitting of the deck and nose piece - I used a pair of Lexan scissors - they seemed to work pretty good.

Pic. #2 -Another angle - Nose is now finished.

Larry

TRUCKPULL
01-26-2016, 12:12 AM
Pic. #1 - Interior got some fiberglass cloth and epoxy reinforcing. Motor plate got four extra holes to add air cooling along with the aluminum water pipe install for the ESC and Motor.

Pic. #2 - Another angle

Larry

785boats
01-26-2016, 02:03 AM
Looks great Larry.
Don't you just love the balancing act with the weights & clamps. I love seeing what different people use for weights.

TRUCKPULL
01-26-2016, 09:28 AM
The rough looking gray blocks are 1" thick pieces of Lead, they weigh about 13lb. each

Larry

kfxguy
01-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Wow! Looking good! Great craftsmanship there! I wish I had the patience to build something like this.

Shooter
01-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Can't even express how fulfilling it is to see people building this thing. Nice job. I really like your wariness to the ride pad aoa and dihedral angles.

T.S.Davis
01-26-2016, 11:17 AM
Larry, throw some glass on the inside of that nose piece. Then maybe some 2 part poly foam.

I've seen and raced against Pete's a number of times. You'll love the way this runs Larry. Kinda reminds me of those mini Whips you were building the way it runs.

TRUCKPULL
01-29-2016, 07:36 PM
Can't even express how fulfilling it is to see people building this thing. Nice job. I really like your wariness to the ride pad aoa and dihedral angles.

Pete
We will see if my wariness and my small sponson modifications pay off when I get it wet and setup(sometime in May or April)

Larry

Doug Smock
01-29-2016, 07:49 PM
Nice work Larry!

TRUCKPULL
01-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Nice work Larry!

Thank You
Doug

I hope it will be as fast as some of your boats.

Larry

Beaux
02-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Nice work, where do you get the 1/16 fiberglass plate? . thanks

flraptor07
02-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Lookin' nice Larry, I got one of these from Pete. I just gotta get off my ass and get it done! lol When are you getting down here?

TRUCKPULL
02-03-2016, 09:59 PM
Nice work, where do you get the 1/16 fiberglass plate? . thanks

I got mine here
http://rocketrywarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=117

Larry

TRUCKPULL
02-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Lookin' nice Larry, I got one of these from Pete. I just gotta get off my ass and get it done! lol When are you getting down here?
Chris
I am here. I got down on MON.

Larry

Beaux
02-04-2016, 10:46 AM
thanks TRUCKPULL.

TRUCKPULL
02-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Larry, throw some glass on the inside of that nose piece. Then maybe some 2 part poly foam.

I've seen and raced against Pete's a number of times. You'll love the way this runs Larry. Kinda reminds me of those mini Whips you were building the way it runs.

Sorry Terry I missed this post;
"Mini Whip" do you mean like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsqXcnhd3fA&feature=youtu.be

This hull is my LSH and N2 Sport.
Video is N2- Sport

I am debating what to do with the nose piece.

Larry

Darin Jordan
05-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Larry... Update??

TRUCKPULL
05-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Yes an update is due.

I got the paint done, Need to get some pictures.

Did a couple of test runs with different props last Sat. I am waiting for two new props (but Steven is out of stock right now)

I will get some pictures done and post them.

Larry

Darin Jordan
05-10-2016, 12:47 PM
I will get some pictures done and post them.

Larry

Cool! What is the length and width of this hull??

TRUCKPULL
05-10-2016, 05:03 PM
Cool! What is the length and width of this hull??

Darin
The hull is 33 1/2" Long and 17" Wide

Larry

T.S.Davis
05-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Larry, do I see a Buass style sponson mod there? It's got that inner chamfer that I remember Brian experimenting with.

I finally got going on mine too. I've epoxied the tub to the frames. Tons of work left. I'm making some changes here and there too. Tiny stuff. Hope to race it at the cup.

TRUCKPULL
05-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Paint is done, nothing special.

Rattle can.
Rustoleum - Painters Touch
Ultra Cover 2X

3 coats each.
White Primer
Gloss White
Gloss Clear

Wet sanded with 1000 after Primer and Gloss White.
Still need to wet sand with 2000 and compound.

TRUCKPULL
05-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Larry, do I see a Buass style sponson mod there? It's got that inner chamfer that I remember Brian experimenting with.

I finally got going on mine too. I've epoxied the tub to the frames. Tons of work left. I'm making some changes here and there too. Tiny stuff. Hope to race it at the cup.

Yes you do see it, I run that on my Mini Wip and had it on my "P" Wip also.

Terry
I took your advice and put some foam in the nose.
I used 1/2" Pink that I used in the hull,
Glued 3 pieces together with 3M spray. Then carved and sanded it to fit all the way forward.

I used the 3M to stick it in.
Larry

TRUCKPULL
05-10-2016, 05:37 PM
I also got a bigger turn fin.

SS instead of the aluminum.

Larry

detox
05-10-2016, 09:10 PM
Raptor347 sponson aero mod was used on his SAW Whiplash to reduce lift and try to prevent blow over going 100mph.

iridebikes247
05-11-2016, 01:01 AM
Very nice work, :rockon2:

dasboata
05-11-2016, 08:32 AM
great job Larry !!!!

T.S.Davis
05-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Raptor347 sponson aero mod was used on his SAW Whiplash to reduce lift and try to prevent blow over going 100mph.

That's the way I remember it too. Larry might miss that lift on this one. These run flatter than a Whip.

I have got to get some pics of the new fins one of our club members is making. Stainless steel CNC rolled with an extra layer of stainless reinforcement welded above the water line. Trickest fins I've ever seen. Trying to talk him into production. Think Virginia Craftsman only thinner. Going on my Pearl for sure. He's cooking up a new fin for my scale T plus.

TRUCKPULL
05-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Larry might miss that lift on this one. These run flatter than a Whip.

Terry
So far No problems with not enough lift.
Last Sat. it was rough and windy with the wind coming right down the length of the pond.
Full speed with the wind and into it.

Larry

longballlumber
05-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Terry
So far No problems with not enough lift.
Last Sat. it was rough and windy with the wind coming right down the length of the pond.
Full speed with the wind and into it.

Larry

How well is it carrying the speed THRU the turns? Have you seen any hopping (front) coming out of the turns?

detox
05-11-2016, 07:55 PM
Turnfin shape and size is one area I need to do more research and testing on. Some of the more experienced racers such as fluid should know what works...he once told me my angle was too aggressive and will cause hull to hop or run too wet in turns.

TRUCKPULL
05-11-2016, 09:03 PM
How well is it carrying the speed THRU the turns? Have you seen any hopping (front) coming out of the turns?

Mike
After trying two props that ended up being too small on the Dia.
I was only able to make one run with a prop that finally got it up and running with some fast speed.
I remember one of the other boaters (Gas & Nitro guys) saying that "That thing does not slow down in the turns"
I did not see any Hopping coming out of the turns - Although I was more concentrated on just driving for the first run.
I will bring my generator next time so I can recharge my packs, I hope the wind will be down a bit on Sun.

Larry

TRUCKPULL
05-11-2016, 09:09 PM
Turnfin shape and size is one area I need to do more research and testing on. Some of the more experienced racers such as fluid should know what works...he once told me my angle was too aggressive and will cause hull to hop or run too wet in turns.

Keith
They used to say that Prop work was a BLACK ART
With the speeds that we run now for racing, I think Turn Fins are becoming a BLACK ART also.

Larry

longballlumber
05-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Mike
After trying two props that ended up being too small on the Dia.
I was only able to make one run with a prop that finally got it up and running with some fast speed.
I remember one of the other boaters (Gas & Nitro) saying that "That thing does not slow down in the turns"
I did not see any Hopping coming out of the turns - Although I was more concentrated on just driving for the first run.
I will bring my generator next time so I can recharge my packs, I hope the wind will be down a bit on Sun.

Larry

Thanks for the reply Larry. I am still working to get my boat turning the way that I like. I did a similar sponson mod as you however, I carried the chamfer along the entire length of the sponson rather than an elongated corner.

If you don't mind;

Picture of layout RTR
Balance Point
Turn Fin Depth
Distance from trailing edge of sponson to leading edge of turn fin (at water line)
weight RTR

TRUCKPULL
05-12-2016, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the reply Larry. I am still working to get my boat turning the way that I like. I did a similar sponson mod as you however, I carried the chamfer along the entire length of the sponson rather than an elongated corner.

If you don't mind;

Picture of layout RTR

Balance Point
Turn Fin Depth
Distance from trailing edge of sponson to leading edge of turn fin (at water line)
weight RTR

Hello Mike
I like your sponson mod, also the solid block rounded nose.

Balance Point - About 1 1/8" behind the sponson, although since mine is a little heaver in the front because of all the foam and extra reinforcing I did.
I may still move my motor plate behind the bulkhead, which would move the motor and plate 1/4" to the rear.
In turn this would move my CG back a bit. I think I would like to see 1 3/8" to 1 1/2" behind the sponson, this would put me closer to the center mass of the turn fin.

Turn Fin Depth - 2 1/2" Deep X 2 1/2" in length at the water line. Also this fin is not sharpened, It is machined top to bottom 0.030" at the leading edge to 0.125"at the back edge, then blended at the bottom edge.

Distance from trailing edge of sponson to leading edge of turn fin (at water line)- 1/8"

weight RTR - I do not know - (No Scale) - It may be in competition with Terry's Lead Sled

Shooter
05-16-2016, 10:08 PM
Here are a few vids of mine running last year. As Terry says, it runs flat. The scope was to design a boat that could withstand the speeds of full P and actually stay on the water (thus the wider stance and angled air bleeds). It eats smaller boats for breakfast in rough water. Mine still could be better in the turns, but our course is pretty tight (small radius). I'm curious to see what you guys come up with. We can add the mods to the design if they work well!!

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?49178-New-P-Sport-Hydro-2015!&highlight=

Shooter
05-16-2016, 10:08 PM
BTW - That boat looks grrrrrrrrreat Larry!!!!!

Beaux
05-17-2016, 11:10 AM
WOW!! Goes fast and turns, cool.

TRUCKPULL
05-17-2016, 11:52 AM
BTW - That boat looks grrrrrrrrreat Larry!!!!!

Thank you Pete

I went ahead and put my motor plate on the back side of the motor frame, I was then able to move my ESC a little farther back also.
My cog is now 1 7/16" behind the sponson, a lot closer to center mas of the turn fin.
I have not been able to test this yet seeing the weather did not cooperate last SUN.
I am also waiting for a couple of props to come in for more testing.

You had made comment about a piece to keep the none in place side to side, Did you ever come up with something??

Larry

Shooter
05-20-2016, 09:43 PM
You hade made comment about a piece to keep the none in place side to side, Did you ever come up with something??

Larry

I have a small pc of wood on the bottom of the hull that stands proud of the surface on my LSH to hold the nose cone on, but my P-Sport doesn't have anything. I've been taping it (top and bottom) and it hasn't been a problem.

I'm heading out to the pond tomorrow morning to try some things to improve turning. I have a feeling that I'm just going to have to face the fact that my boat will never turn like Mike Ball's boat! :)

TRUCKPULL
05-21-2016, 02:53 PM
Pete
I hope to get in some testing tomorrow (SUN) also if the weather cooperates.

Larry

TRUCKPULL
08-01-2016, 12:59 PM
A quick update for everyone.
I have been testing and adjusting every week this month.
My boat was a little too flighty at the race in MI.
Yesterday after some more adjusting, to stabilize it even more when running behind and cutting over an other boats wake
I took this picture,

Larry

Todd Fleury
08-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Larry,
Driving down the freeway and putting the GPS in your boat does not count.

TRUCKPULL
08-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Larry,
Driving down the freeway and putting the GPS in your boat does not count.

Todd
I thought there might be something wrong, after the run before this one. the GPS read 70MPH
I made sure it was reset for this last run of the day.

If I used it on the highway, it would have read 80 MPH .

Larry

Shooter
08-03-2016, 01:03 PM
70mph is the fastest (in 6 lap P oval trim) that I know of!! Nice job Larry!!! Mine was at 67mph w/H5 when I added some height to the sponsons, but it was running too loose for my taste. Back to stock. Happy with 63-65mph.

We are still no match for Terry's lead sled P-Sport......I think it runs about 119mph.

T.S.Davis
08-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Well yeah but only with the tame setup.

ray schrauwen
08-03-2016, 04:28 PM
What's the deal with the zip ties Larry?

Can't even make it out to watch you guys this weekend, bummed out a bit. Pretty bad pressure sore on tailbone. I can't do 3 hours driving and car isn't back together yet.

Looking forward to videos.

Have fun guys, miss y'all.

TRUCKPULL
08-03-2016, 05:22 PM
What's the deal with the zip ties Larry?

I had a plug come off, I think the second time I ran this boat.
A little tight of a bend between the ESC and the motor. (I cut the leads a little short)
So the Zip ties are to keep the plugs together.

Larry

littlepooper206
08-05-2016, 06:11 AM
may i ask you sir where can i find that kind of level ? thank you for your time.

TRUCKPULL
08-05-2016, 05:42 PM
may i ask you sir where can i find that kind of level ? thank you for your time.

Mine came from Sears.

Larry