PDA

View Full Version : Letting the lobster out of the bag!

monojeff
01-23-2016, 05:11 AM
I have the pleasure of working on one of the very first if not the first 1/10 scale Winston eagle lobster kits designed by MLBoatworks.
Mike has given me the go ahead on lasering out some of the new parts he has converted from his larger kits he currently is offering.

The full kit is not for sale yet but it sounds like he is very close to finalizing everything. Stay tuned and tag along on the build it should be an awesome one!

Coug90
01-26-2016, 01:09 AM
That sounds really cool. I know it's a favorite of a lot of people. Maybe I'd better see if I have a cowling plug for that boat.

cybercrxt
01-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Jeff, you definately are getting the first 1/10th lobster I have ever done, and it is the extreme kit version. Just so everyone knows, the sponsons, ram wings, and rear shoes are designed and that is what Jeff currently has. I will be working on the center section more once a cowling is figured out. I am suppose to be aquiring one to make molds from, and in turn, make the center section match, but if that doesn't pan out, maybe Coug90 has one that we can make the center section match? Let us know Mitch! This kit has all the Extreme series ML Boatworks bells and whistles! Mike

PS, here is what the 1/8th scale version looks like for those that are curious:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/WinstonLobsterExtreme/20150418_190251%20Large_zpshvo9ui3c.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/WinstonLobsterExtreme/WinstonLobsterExtreme3d-Modela_zpsdpga0ygj.jpg

cybercrxt
01-26-2016, 08:53 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/WinstonLobsterExtreme/20150418_190325%20Large_zpslj7laf5i.jpg

Doby
01-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Very cool!

JimClark
01-26-2016, 01:45 PM
What is different in the extreme series?

cybercrxt
01-26-2016, 03:14 PM
With the Lobster kit...everything Jim..Ride pad AoA, The 5 piece build design, 0 degree ram wings on the Extreme, rear shoe framing kit, toy tabbed floor pans, the new Sponson squaring framework, which forces the sponson to be 90 degrees to the center section/ ram wings, Lighter, Stronger, front ram wing and flap system, the center section has been shortened as much as possible to reduce some of the afterplane..hense reducing the "hard to balance out at 1" behind the sponson transom" effect of that extra long center section, allowing for less up front lead requirements of this particular hull. So much more goes into the Extreme series..and the extra cost is only around $30 extra above the standard kits! Mike

JimClark
01-26-2016, 03:16 PM
So is that Extreme series available on any kit you offer?

Darin Jordan
01-26-2016, 03:28 PM
This is going to be SO COOL!

cybercrxt
01-26-2016, 03:40 PM
Jim, only on the kits I have spent the time redesigning to offer in an Extreme state, lol. I have a few different Extreme kits available. Just check the website under Scale, Extreme series for a current list. Thanks!

Darin, yeah, it should be sweet!

mickieb49
01-26-2016, 08:27 PM
When is the 1/10 kit going to be made available mike?

monojeff
01-26-2016, 09:26 PM
Heck yeah I feel special and honored!
Might just have to number it #1 on the inside of the tub.
Looking forward to cutting the 1/16 pieces this week I'll post up some pics!

Also looking forward to hearing more about the cowling and we definitely need to see about getting Mitch to have a vaccum formed version of it if he doesn't already have 1 he can modify.

Glad it's getting some people excited!

cybercrxt
01-27-2016, 04:20 PM
It will be availalbe as soon as the cowling arrives so I can work on a mold, I will work on making the center section match the cowling, just like I did with the 1/8th scale version of the Extreme Lobster kit (and other Extreme series hulls).

monojeff
01-27-2016, 08:37 PM
Finished cutting the parts I could so far will post up more pictures this weekend on things.

monojeff
01-28-2016, 02:44 AM
One of the things I love about the ML kits is that they go together with such ease.
All the notches and tabs fit together perfect it really makes it hard to mess things up when your building them.
Everything is marked and makes sense so you know exactly where each parts goes even without instructions.

I will be posting some pictures this weekend hopefully I can get out in the garage and get an area ready to start building!

Mike I was wondering for the dowels do I use hollow pultruded or solid carbon?
Assuming hollow but wanted to double check.

Coug90
01-28-2016, 04:00 AM
Nice project for sure. I'd love to be a part of it, but it sounds like you have someone building the cowling and canopy plug for it already. If someone wants to trace a paper template of the center section outer edges up to the point, I could certainly work on a front and rear cowling to fit the model if you like. This will certainly be a cool build. People really like the lobster boat for some reason. It's just so different. Nice to see a laser kit of it coming together. Let me know if I can be of help.

cybercrxt
01-28-2016, 01:19 PM
Jeff, the carbon rods are your choice. Whatever you feel comfortable with. I might suggest, using a solid rod up front, and a hollow rod in the back...That was you keep the weight further forward..just a thought!

Mitch, As soon as I determine the situation on the center section, I will do a pdf file you can print of the center section for you. That is no problem! I will be making the molds for a glass one I suspect, but people know your cowls very well, and may want to stick with you as far as the cowl goes! Doesn't matter to me either way, just as long as the customers are happy with their boats! Mike

Darin Jordan
01-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Finished cutting the parts I could so far will post up more pictures this weekend on things.

Now, that's just not fair... you have COOL TOOLS! :)

We need to talk! ;)

cybercrxt
01-29-2016, 08:48 AM
I had a PM with a very important question. Yes, this kit is being sold through me. Jeff will probably do the cutting on it, and of course the build here, but the kit is an ML Boatworks kit. Just PM or email me with questions on availability. Thanks!

monojeff
01-30-2016, 04:42 AM
Thanks Mike yes don't want people to get confused about the kits!
After bugging Mike about this kit for the past three years I think he finally just couldn't take it anymore and had to finalize it. Lol

Nothing like the smell of fresh laser cut birch plywood!

785boats
01-30-2016, 04:46 PM
One of the things I love about the ML kits is that they go together with such ease.
All the notches and tabs fit together perfect it really makes it hard to mess things up when your building them.
Everything is marked and makes sense so you know exactly where each parts goes even without instructions.

I will be posting some pictures this weekend hopefully I can get out in the garage and get an area ready to start building!

Mike I was wondering for the dowels do I use hollow pultruded or solid carbon?
Assuming hollow but wanted to double check.

I can't totally agree with that first paragraph Jeff.
I built one without instructions & it looks like I got it all wrong.:laugh:

Just kidding. The kits do go together very easily.
I did use hollow rods through mine when I modified it, but it wasn't an extreme kit, just the normal 1/8th scale. They were plenty strong enough.

I'd love to build a 1/10th scale Lobster. Sounds like it will be a great kit.

monojeff
01-31-2016, 10:53 PM
Oh my what happened!? Lol
I love what you did with the kit. Very cool innovation.

PARTS!!!

Coug90
02-01-2016, 02:38 AM
I can't totally agree with that first paragraph Jeff.
I built one without instructions & it looks like I got it all wrong.:laugh:

Just kidding. The kits do go together very easily.
I did use hollow rods through mine when I modified it, but it wasn't an extreme kit, just the normal 1/8th scale. They were plenty strong enough.

I'd love to build a 1/10th scale Lobster. Sounds like it will be a great kit.

That is one of the coolest mod builds I've ever seen. You did a great job. How does that thing perform? It looks great! Looking forward to seeing what Jeff does with the Lobster project too. You guys got me wanting to do another build of my own. Shame on you!!

785boats
02-02-2016, 02:06 AM
Jeff/Mitch.
I did a bit of a build thread on it. There's a couple of videos at the end before I got a turn fin sorted out. It turns a lot better now. I haven't had it out in ages. Must fire it up again.
I'd still like to build a proper Lobster & a 1/10 scale would be perfect.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?49390-Winston-Eagle-Canard

monojeff
02-02-2016, 03:48 AM
Jeff/Mitch.
I did a bit of a build thread on it. There's a couple of videos at the end before I got a turn fin sorted out. It turns a lot better now. I haven't had it out in ages. Must fire it up again.
I'd still like to build a proper Lobster & a 1/10 scale would be perfect.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?49390-Winston-Eagle-Canard

Thanks for posting the link for others to see, I had seen it when you were building it and enjoyed seeing it progress.

cybercrxt
02-02-2016, 08:25 AM
Nice cutting Jeff. The canopy plug is in route to me right now. :)

cybercrxt
02-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Looks like everyone is liking what they are seeing so far. Getting a lot of PM's about the kit. Just so everyone knows, the 1/8th Extreme Lobster is already available and on the website for those that may not have known. I hope to have the 1/10th scale kit done very soon. Once I have the cowling plug in my hands I can finish the center section. Mike

cybercrxt
02-03-2016, 09:03 AM
I received the cowling plug last night. It will take some work to make a mold, but I should be able to pull it off. More later. mike

monojeff
02-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Looking forward to more progress Mike!
Thanks again for getting this kit going!

monojeff
02-28-2016, 01:00 AM
Glued a few pieces together today I'll do the other side tomorrow.

The pieces click together like Legos.
Hard to make it not square.
I am using the angles aluminum and the granite just to make sure things stay as square and even as possible.

monojeff
02-29-2016, 03:59 AM
Mike have a question for you on the back of the sponsons #10F&B.
Just CA them together or would it make sense to epoxy them together then tack them in place?

Mocking things up before glueing things down.

cybercrxt
02-29-2016, 07:36 AM
Well, I have epoxied them, and CA'ed them. Since I back,with 1/4" aluminum, I have never had any failures either way...I do use lots of CA tho....

monojeff
03-02-2016, 02:22 AM
Got a few more pieces glued together.
Read shoes all tacked up.

I'll be finishing the sponsons next few days.

monojeff
05-13-2016, 01:29 AM
Mike any news on the center section?
I'm going to start skinning things that I have built so far.

cybercrxt
05-13-2016, 08:37 AM
Hey Jeff, No, I have not had time yet to work on it. I am not going to be making the cowling plug and mold. I need to give the cowling that I have back to the owner as I have run out of time and they need to race this year. May need to talk to hydroscale about making one. I will try and finish the center soon and get you the files to cut it. Then Hydroscale can make a cowling off of the dimensions. Mike

monojeff
05-13-2016, 06:52 PM
No worries mike appreciate the heads up.
I emailed Mitch we will see what he has to say on things.
Hopefully he will respond here for all to see.

I'm not in huge rush but sooner then later would be great if you can find some time to finalize things.

cybercrxt
06-07-2016, 02:52 PM
I just let Jeff know, but I just finished this kit design. The tub is now done, as well as all the sponson parts. This is considered one of my extreme kits, based off the 1/8th scale version. Includes everything you have seen Jeff working on, and the complete center section, with the top, bottom and side sheeting and hatch openings. The kit is available in both clockwise and counterclockwise setups. I have not added it to the site yet, so if anyone needs one, just let me know directly, jamesmluszcz@hotmail.com, or (252) 717-6282, and you can text me too! Thanks, Mike

Here is some 3d pics of the 1/8th kit, which is just larger than the 1/10th!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/WinstonLobsterExtreme/WinstonLobsterExtreme3d-Modele_zpsgusejczi.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/WinstonLobsterExtreme/WinstonLobsterExtreme3d-plan_zpshqtagtw3.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/WinstonLobsterExtreme/WinstonLobsterExtreme3d-Modela_zpsdpga0ygj.jpg

cybercrxt
06-14-2016, 02:17 PM
The 1/10th scale lobster kit is now on the website, and available to run counterclockwise, and clockwise. Check it out! Mike

monojeff
11-29-2016, 05:44 PM
I have gotten more work done on the boat and received parts from hydro scale creations aka Mitch Dillard aka Coug90 on the forum and will be posting them in the next few days and hopefully getting some more work done on it!

Jesse J
03-07-2021, 08:13 AM
What ever happened to this project? Is it finished in a different thread?

monojeff
07-26-2023, 01:30 AM
Reviving this from the dead.
I have not done much more then posted but have began building again!!

I will post some updates soon!!

monojeff
07-29-2023, 10:08 PM
Couple of updates on currently what I’m working on.

I used divinycell foam on the flaps then a layer of epoxy followed with some 3M acrylic glazing putty before sanding things down I?ll finish with 3M red glazing putty.

Cowling mocked up and taped together. I’ll be building some support frames and bulkheads to stiffen everything up and hold it all together.

More to come!!

srislash
08-01-2023, 11:51 PM
Interesting, good to see you Jeff

Shawn

monojeff
10-05-2023, 01:40 AM

Here is a few photos of the cowling I am adding carbon fiber to reinforce the back section and will also be doing the same thing to the front. I’ve also added fiberglass on the inside id like to make this as strong as possible to avoid flexing but keep the weight down at the same time.

MikeDunn
10-11-2023, 07:53 PM
nice man!

monojeff
01-24-2024, 04:01 AM
nice man!

Thanks Mike I need to get back on this thing and keep progress going.

I’m definitely going to need one of your drivers for it they are looking very nice and detailed will be a nice addition to the build for sure!

monojeff
02-26-2024, 02:30 AM
Working on the inside of the cowling and fine tuning the deck covers that will hold the cowling down.

monojeff
02-26-2024, 02:35 AM
I also have most of the framing together and I?m working on the skins as well as adding supports to the necessary places. 178918