PDA

View Full Version : HSC now has Merlin and Allison stacks etc!

Coug90
01-22-2016, 01:15 AM
Just giving a heads-up that I now have my 1:10 Scale Allison engine kit and stacks done. I put on e together without any paint or finish work done. I think it will look pretty sweet with a little filler, detail work and wires added. I'll be adding them to the site when I get time, but you can order the whole kit or the stacks alone. My good scale broke, but the WeightWatchers scale shows the Allison engine with stacks is somewhere around 3 ounces. I just finished work on the molds for 1:10 Merlin stacks too if you need them. Stacks come plain resin, but I painted mine to show what they look like finished. Still working on the plastic Merlin dummy motor kit though. It will be done soon. Email me if you need something and I'll quote you a price. Happy Building Everyone!!

JimClark
01-22-2016, 01:38 AM
Nice Mitch

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

monojeff
01-23-2016, 05:03 AM
Very cool Mitch!

ray schrauwen
01-23-2016, 02:26 PM
I could make my Black Pearl a v12 !

Coug90
02-01-2016, 02:45 AM
Got a nice new scale yesterday because someone asked me how much the Allison I built weighs. As pictured it weighs 2.45 ounces (69 grams). I got a pretty good start on a Merlin dummy motor today. I'll try and get some photos up when I finish the plugs and get a basic demo model built. Happy Building!!

monojeff
02-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Mitch what's the price on these?
I'll need a turbo Allison set.

Coug90
02-01-2016, 11:31 PM
Mitch what's the price on these?
I'll need a turbo Allison set.

I haven't put the Allison kit on the site yet, but if figure $35 for dummy motor kits (Allison or Merlin when it's done). Kits include stacks. A set of Merlin or Allison stacks alone would be $20. The dummy motors without stacks would also be $20. I need to find some time to work on the site as it needs some updates. Folks should just email me if they have a question or need a quote on something. There are also some other cowling kits I have been meaning add. One is the Blue Blaster '77 Atlas Van Lines, The Miss Pico that Chip drove (Znetix style Leland cowl) along with that Winston Lobster if anyone needs it. Jeff, I don't have a Turbo Allison pipe kit for my dummy motor yet, but I know a guy who has been making them on a CNC machine. Maybe he'd let me buy one from him and make molds from it. I would make the Turbo Allison resin set to add to the kit as another option. It'll save time if he's ok with it, but I could make my own if need be. I figure why reinvent, but I won't do it without permission if he's selling them.

Coug90
02-01-2016, 11:45 PM
On second thought, the CNC version has a pretty rough finish. I think I'll start working on my own turbo setup for the Allison. Stay tuned!

monojeff
02-02-2016, 03:50 AM
Cool Mitch look forward to seeing what you come up with.
I do have a wooden more I forgot about that will work for my other build I needed the turbo for.
I was thinking of trying to 3D print some at work perhaps just the turbo parts and pipes.

Coug90
02-04-2016, 03:43 AM
Cool Mitch look forward to seeing what you come up with.
I do have a wooden more I forgot about that will work for my other build I needed the turbo for.
I was thinking of trying to 3D print some at work perhaps just the turbo parts and pipes.

The guy I know did just that. He bought a machine and is now producing dummy motor parts for boats. His name is Jim Stephens and he runs with Puget Sound Fast Electrics and has gotten into 1:10 scale projects too. I did some cowlings for some of his boats. He sent me some CAD images and pictures of the first Turbo Allison he did. He says the finished one weighed about 7.5 ounces. I like the detail of the parts except the products have a rough finish for painting and are a bit heavy for some. I was surfing for Turbo Allison photos and found that he now has a web site and does offer just the turbo parts if you want them to put on another motor kit, like the wood one from classichydros.com or perhaps you could fit the parts on one of my motor kits if you wanted to. You can check out what he's doing at http://www.scale-3d.com/products (http://www.scale-3d.com/products). I told him that I would let people know about what he has to offer in the turbo allison, but he now has other kits too.

Coug90
02-12-2016, 01:57 AM
Hi Everyone, I finally got the plugs done for the Merlin Engine, so I put together the prototype and like how it turned out. Unpainted and assembled , the Merlin weighs 2.20 ounces, so it's only slightly lighter than the Allison. They're both pretty basic kits that require some prep, assembly and finishing. With a coat of paint and some detailing, they will look as sharp as you want to make them without adding too much weight to your model (if that's a concern for the build). I just added both to my website on the Misc Items page (http://www.hydroscalecreations.com/MiscItems/MiscItems.htm). I hope to get to work on the Turbo version add-ons for the Allison when time permits. Happy Building, and let me know if you're in need of something for a build. The racing season is fast approaching and I'd better start working on getting my old boats ready again. No new boats for me this season. I'll be back out with the 55 Gale V, the 85 Squire Shop/Brittania and the 07 Boeing Dreamliner again. Can't wait to get them back on the water again and see what everyone else has brought out!! Love to see new boats, even if I don't have one. I've attached some shots of the Merlin Kit.

Coug90
02-18-2016, 11:26 PM
I made a small change to the Allison engine. I decided to make the headers out of resin too. It just seemed to look better that way and it's a small part, so weight won't be an issue. I decided to separate the blower assembly from the main engine and make it separately on the Allison too. Finally, I have completed the Turbo Allison parts! I'm just waiting on a new supply of mold making materials so I can reproduce the parts for trial. Looking forward to getting the demo done for it and get some pictures posted. It's always a good idea to get some feedback from you guys, thanks.