PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Atlanta Spring Nationals = April 16th & 17th (NOW ACCEPTING ENTRIES)

HUFFRACING
01-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Hey Gang,

The Atlanta Model Boaters are proud to host the IMPBA Spring Nationals on April 16th and 17th, 2016. Entries are now being accepted via www.RCRacingEvents.com (http://www.RCRacingEvents.com). This race has something for everyone with a wide variety of Gas, Nitro, and electric classes being offered.

If you have never been to Atlanta we have a great facility with concrete launch dock, permanent 2-story driver’s stand, etc... We hope to see you at the pond this spring in Atlanta! Please visit www.RCRacingEvents.com (http://www.RCRacingEvents.com).for more information!

Note: Don't let the number of available tickets in any class deter you. We are capping the event at 168 heats so additional tickets will be made available as heats fill up. We are adding additional heats on a first come, first served basis... Once we reach the 168 heat max no additional heats will be added.

Thanks,
Lamar Huff
President
Atlanta Model Boaters

photohoward1
01-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Interesting. Limited Electric Though. Any way of adding any Open Classes?

T.S.Davis
01-07-2016, 01:28 PM
Howard, you should go. 3 or 4 of us are planning to make the trip from up here.

You can run something butty in Open Offshore. They run a gigantic course for 6 laps. Think modified M with the hard rights being in the back straight. So coming out of 2 you go way across the pond to the next county, then back in to pick up the entrance to 3 and then back out for another pin half way to the next county.

If we put that course in at the Elks we would have to put the back pins in the neighbors driveway. Takes a gob of battery but it's a scream.

HUFFRACING
01-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Terry: Glad to hear you guys are coming back down this year (and bringing more ppl with you). We appreciate the support...

Howard: If any of the currently offered classes don't make then potentially we could add additional FE and/or Open classes. Right now with the number of classes being offered we should be maxed out from a time perspective (if attendance is good). I'll keep you guys posted as we progress.

Thanks,
Lamar

photohoward1
01-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Howard, you should go. 3 or 4 of us are planning to make the trip from up here.

You can run something butty in Open Offshore. They run a gigantic course for 6 laps. Think modified M with the hard rights being in the back straight. So coming out of 2 you go way across the pond to the next county, then back in to pick up the entrance to 3 and then back out for another pin half way to the next county.

If we put that course in at the Elks we would have to put the back pins in the neighbors driveway. Takes a gob of battery but it's a scream.

I had Open as one of my classes. How long do they run do you think? I have a gas stocker that would work too.

T.S.Davis
01-07-2016, 02:07 PM
We had a great time with you guys despite the weather. You have a good group down there best we could tell. It was worth the trip.

I'm actually using your race as bate to keep my sons grades up. haha If he keeps the grades up he gets to come with. He would be the 4th in our group.

We'll be watch'n Lamar. We own more boats if at some point you need to fill in some blanks.

T.S.Davis
01-07-2016, 02:10 PM
I had Open as one of my classes. How long do they run do you think? I have a gas stocker that would work too.

I think it's very close to 5 minutes. I didn't think to time it but Tom was running 13K in a Cheetah. He was fast enough but racing against giant boats the Cheetah was a bunch too small.

T.S.Davis
01-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Howard, there are 4 FE classes and open. How many do you want to race in a day? Over 5 is a drag IMO.

photohoward1
01-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Howard, there are 4 FE classes and open. How many do you want to race in a day? Over 5 is a drag IMO.

You know I don't race Spec or Limited. So I really only have 3 classes I can enter. One Electric (P Mono), Open Offshore and LSG-Cat ....I did sign up for P-Limited offshore (under protest) so send me a motor. ( I was hoping for some of the higher end classes to be open. I love those classes. I have a new Open (T) cat this year. Dumped the R42. Went with a 48" ExpressCraft. Almost as fast but way more stable.

Now I have to tell the wife.....

T.S.Davis
01-07-2016, 03:00 PM
I forgot you were specphobic.

Tell her you have a shoot in Atalanta. Done.

These guys do check weight so be mindful with that monster.

photohoward1
01-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Not Bringing that CAT. Going wight he R42 Gas. The electric is for your race. 35# limit in NAMBA.

I forgot you were specphobic.

Tell her you have a shoot in Atalanta. Done.

These guys do check weight so be mindful with that monster.

Doug Smock
01-08-2016, 08:34 PM
Oh man! All of the Huff boys are racing FE monos! This race is going to be epic!!:buttrock:

I may not enter P Mono so I can watch! :wink:

HUFFRACING
01-20-2016, 08:50 AM
Hey Gang,

A few people have contacted me asking for hotel recommendations in the area. I would suggest staying in Fairburn, GA which is off of exit 61 on Interstate 85 (roughly 10 minutes south of the pond). It's a nice newer area with plenty of hotel and restaurant choices within reasonable driving distance.

LINK TO HOTELS IN THE FAIRBURN AREA (https://www.google.com/search?q=hotels+in+fairburn+ga&safe=strict&gws_rd=ssl#safe=strict&q=hotels+in+fairburn+ga&rflfq=1&rlla=0&tbm=lcl)

Thanks,
Lamar

T.S.Davis
02-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Couple more questions.

No P limited hydro? Thought you guys were into that.

With P limited offshore, will you be running 4 minutes or 6 laps on that ginormous course? I'm not sure I can re-engineer for that.

Trying to settle on some classes for myself and my resident maniac.

Doug Smock
02-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Hey Terry,
We set a buoy inside the back straightaway between #3 and the clock. Then you have to get back outside the course before the #4 entrance buoy (something we missed in Michigan BTW:wink:) and head out to the far right offshore buoy them to #6. Been running for four minutes. FWIW we ran the same boats on our course that we did at the cup.
I'm sure Lamar will have no trouble adding P Limited Hydro if we have trouble filling the LSG and Nitro classes.

T.S.Davis
02-22-2016, 01:39 PM
It's not looking like Tom or I have anything worthy for open offshore. Ty says I can't run his new Q mono in open. haha I suppose I could put 15k in a P mono and finish zero heats.

HUFFRACING
02-22-2016, 06:02 PM
Doug is on the money... There are a few classes in danger of not making the cut from an entry standpoint. As we get closer to the deadline for entries we will kill off any classes w/o enough entries to make and add additional classes where we know there is enough interest for the class to be run. It's still early though, so people would pitch a fit if I start killing off classes now.

Later,
Lamar

T.S.Davis
02-22-2016, 11:19 PM
No worries guys. We're coming no matter what.

When it gets closer if you guys are looking to add something you might consider limited cat. Lots of those kicking around. We would probably be good for 3 of them.

Ken was bust'n my nuts the other day about getting signed up. Gotta make some decisions in the next day or so.

T.S.Davis
02-24-2016, 04:32 PM
Finally got signed up. Ken tells me the entries will be streaming in now that everyone knows I'll be there. bahahaha Yeah right. Guys looking to sock me in the head maybe.

Doug Smock
02-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Ken tells me the entries will be streaming in now that everyone knows I'll be there. bahahaha

That usually doesn't happen until I sign up Terry. lol
I'm listed as the primary CD for this race so I'm not sure what I'm going to run. I'll know more after I speak with a gentleman in SOWEGA this weekend.:Praying:
Hmm, just thinking that this would be a great opportunity to pay you back for all the grief you have given me over the years.:laugh:

Really glad you guys are coming back to Atlanta.:smile:

T.S.Davis
02-25-2016, 09:13 AM
You've got a good group down there Doug. They made us feel welcome and don't take themselves that seriously. I thought everyone was having fun. I didn't do very well but fun will make me come back every time I can make it.

I'll probably be primary at our race too so who knows what I'll get in the water. Still will have a ton of fun.

HUFFRACING
02-25-2016, 09:35 AM
You've got a good group down there Doug. They made us feel welcome and don't take themselves that seriously. I thought everyone was having fun. I didn't do very well but fun will make me come back every time I can make it.

Glad you guys are making the trek down south again! Most of the locals get that we are just big kids playing with overpriced TOY BOATS!!! A few forget from time to time (myself included), but overall we have a pretty fun group!

Later,
Lamar

tjcast
02-27-2016, 02:09 PM
Hey Terry,
We set a buoy inside the back straightaway between #3 and the clock. Then you have to get back outside the course before the #4 entrance buoy (something we missed in Michigan BTW:wink:) and head out to the far right offshore buoy them to #6. Been running for four minutes. FWIW we ran the same boats on our course that we did at the cup.

So you guys changed the offshore course you guys had last year :sad:. I was looking forward to running that one again with P-Limited :w00t:. I thought that was a GREAT course :thumbup:.

Doug Smock
02-27-2016, 08:22 PM
No Tom you can still run that course in Open Offshore!:wink:

tjcast
02-27-2016, 09:45 PM
but, but, but I wanted to run that course in P-Limited Offshore :frusty:!!!! wait I can run my P-limited Offshore entry IN Open offshore :doh: !!! there isn't a minimum size is there? :biggrin:

skater368
02-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Registered. Thanks for a warm welcome and help !
Mike
Pro Marine RC

Hey Gang,

A few people have contacted me asking for hotel recommendations in the area. I would suggest staying in Fairburn, GA which is off of exit 61 on Interstate 85 (roughly 10 minutes south of the pond). It's a nice newer area with plenty of hotel and restaurant choices within reasonable driving distance.

LINK TO HOTELS IN THE FAIRBURN AREA (https://www.google.com/search?q=hotels+in+fairburn+ga&safe=strict&gws_rd=ssl#safe=strict&q=hotels+in+fairburn+ga&rflfq=1&rlla=0&tbm=lcl)

Thanks,
Lamar

Doug Smock
02-29-2016, 04:46 PM
Mike, it was a pleasure to meet you in SOWEGA. Your boats run great, keep up the good work!

Looking forward to the Spring Nats!

skater368
03-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Any chance of a PLimited cat class ? Not offshore?
Hey Gang,

Thanks,
Lamar

T.S.Davis
03-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Mike, it's a numbers dance for them. If they get room they'll add it is what they told me before.

That would be a good choice if they decide to add something though. We have 3 entries from MI should they add it in.

photohoward1
03-01-2016, 11:36 AM
When will they post if a class is cancelled? (5 boats or cancelled per flyer).

Doug Smock
03-02-2016, 09:03 PM
When will they post if a class is cancelled? (5 boats or cancelled per flyer).

We'll start rattling cages very soon.:wink:

skater368
03-03-2016, 08:48 PM
lets hear it for PLimited Cat Class. Ill have 2 to enter too.

Mike, it's a numbers dance for them. If they get room they'll add it is what they told me before.

That would be a good choice if they decide to add something though. We have 3 entries from MI should they add it in.

HUFFRACING
03-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Hey Gang,

We are 38 days out from the race! Some classes are doing very well, and some classes need a little support in order to make the cut. If you or anyone you know is planning to attend the event please register ASAP. If some of the following classes do not make the cut line soon we will be scratching them and adding additional classes where enough interest has been expressed to make the cut. The classes in danger are:

- D mono
- D O/B Tunnel
- E Hydro
- F Mono
- LSG 23-30 Skiff
- LSG 23-30 Tunnel
- Open Tunnel
- 60 Scale
- Sport 40

Thanks,
Lamar

T.S.Davis
03-08-2016, 12:38 PM
Lamar, I'm not sure how many others have them but between Mike and us fools from the north you could get 5 P limited cats without any effort. Pretty sure Tom is building a brand new one.

Ken Haines
03-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Lamar, I'm not sure how many others have them but between Mike and us fools from the north you could get 5 P limited cats without any effort. Pretty sure Tom is building a brand new one.

I agree...the cats are a lot of fun.
I would definitely enter that class.

The P-Ltd Hydro class would be my 2nd choice.
Of course Open Hydro would not be bad either.

Doug Smock
03-10-2016, 06:54 PM
We hear you fellas.:wink:

photohoward1
03-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Why not Open Mono or Hydro? Bet we can fill those with all 3 classes. Gas, Nitro and FE....(Man Classes)

Doug Smock
03-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Why not Open Mono or Hydro? Bet we can fill those with all 3 classes. Gas, Nitro and FE....(Man Classes)

Ya hear that Lamar? Howard wants some "Man Classes". :smile:

photohoward1
03-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Ya hear that Lamar? Howard wants some "Man Classes". :smile:

Thanks DOUG. You made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doug Smock
03-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Ok here you go guys!
P Limited Cat, P Limited Rigger, Open Hydro, & Open Mono have been added to the race and are open for entries on http://www.rcracingevents.com/.

Get em entered fellas!:thumbup1:

Thank you for your interest in the Atlanta Spring Nationals!

T.S.Davis
03-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Doug, stupid question.

How? Do we re-enter or should we email Lamar? I think if we re-enter the software will want an initial boat fee........I think.

HUFFRACING
03-15-2016, 04:08 PM
I removed the $10 first boat fee... Just enter like normal through the site.

I figured that was easier than managing via E-mail!

Thanks,
Lamar

HUFFRACING
03-16-2016, 04:07 PM
I'm just getting around to reading this whole thread (work has been BUSY lately)...

MAN CLASSES have been added!!!

Beware in P-Limited Mono & Offshore... I just heard from both brother's and they are definitely IN for the event. Heck, even one of my sister-in-laws has Pop laying her up a P-Limited as I type this. There will be FIVE Huffs running in those classes. Two of us have a lot of racing experience... One brother used to race, but hasn't touched a transmitter in 2 years. One brother has only raced my Gas Crackerbox once about 2 years ago (I think he actually won the class), and the sister-in-law has only made a few laps after hours with my C-Box. Should be VERY interesting!

Looking forward to it fella's! We appreciate the support.

Thanks,
Lamar

photohoward1
03-16-2016, 07:00 PM
Man classes joined!

Doug Smock
03-17-2016, 12:26 PM
I'm just getting around to reading this whole thread (work has been BUSY lately)...

MAN CLASSES have been added!!!

Beware in P-Limited Mono & Offshore... I just heard from both brother's and they are definitely IN for the event. Heck, even one of my sister-in-laws has Pop laying her up a P-Limited as I type this. There will be FIVE Huffs running in those classes. Two of us have a lot of racing experience... One brother used to race, but hasn't touched a transmitter in 2 years. One brother has only raced my Gas Crackerbox once about 2 years ago (I think he actually won the class), and the sister-in-law has only made a few laps after hours with my C-Box. Should be VERY interesting!

Looking forward to it fella's! We appreciate the support.

Thanks,
Lamar

Dang Lamar, is Ms. Kathy busy that weekend? We may need her to keep you guys in line! lol

Doug Smock
03-17-2016, 12:31 PM
Man classes joined!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XUg5cfwilI&list=RD6XUg5cfwilI#t=49 :laugh:

Doug Smock
03-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Just a reminder to anyone entering Open Offshore with a FE boat. We run a normal mill and six laps on the offshore course. Just under five min. IIRC

P Limited Offshore we run like NAMBA (4 min).

T.S.Davis
03-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Perfect. Thanks Doug.

Guys, I whined about that big course in that other thread but it absolutely is cool to watch and I think Tom really enjoyed running it. It's a different challenge. If you have a boat for it just thrown an extra set of cells at it or drop a couple mm in prop. You wont be sorry.

Doug/Lamar, we might have an add for open offshore. The new Q mono is dead sexy but we don't know how it will run. Once we get on the water and turns some laps I'll get back to ya.

Doug Smock
03-18-2016, 04:06 PM
Perfect. Thanks Doug.

Guys, I whined about that big course in that other thread but it absolutely is cool to watch and I think Tom really enjoyed running it. It's a different challenge. If you have a boat for it just thrown an extra set of cells at it or drop a couple mm in prop. You wont be sorry.

Doug/Lamar, we might have an add for open offshore. The new Q mono is dead sexy but we don't know how it will run. Once we get on the water and turns some laps I'll get back to ya.

It is cool to watch the faster boats eat up the long straightaways on that course. I haven't "raced" it, but that may change since I've had my eye fixed.:blink:

Terry it is MUCH easier for the ladies to scratch you than it is to add you. Lamar may opt to go ahead and plug you in, and collect for the class at the pond if the boat pans out for you. If he doesn't chime in here I'll speak with him about it this weekend.:wink:

That will be cool, hope it works out!

tjcast
03-21-2016, 12:19 AM
Just a reminder to anyone entering Open Offshore with a FE boat. We run a normal mill and six laps on the offshore course. Just under five min. IIRC

P Limited Offshore we run like NAMBA (4 min).

But does P Limited Offshore get to run the 4 min on the big course?!?! PLZ :Praying:

Doug Smock
03-21-2016, 07:21 AM
But does P Limited Offshore get to run the 4 min on the big course?!?! PLZ :Praying:

Yes sir. We discussed that yesterday.:wink:

T.S.Davis
03-21-2016, 10:23 AM
Terry it is MUCH easier for the ladies to scratch you than it is to add you. Lamar may opt to go ahead and plug you in, and collect for the class at the pond if the boat pans out for you. If he doesn't chime in here I'll speak with him about it this weekend.

That works. The boat is slick.. You've seen the pics. It's actually Ty's boat though. He's a little apprehensive having never run anything that insane and he's a little hesitant to let his lunatic father run it with the other open offshore lunatics. PLus that gives us a 9th class to manage. Still on the fence.

I am so not ready for this race. Typical.

rightturnonly
03-21-2016, 06:14 PM
I'm planning on stopping by for this one. I've been on the job interview trail lately so I just don't know if I'd have the time off to race. As it stands with the current job I'd have to work Saturday night. just cant catch a break...

Doug Smock
03-23-2016, 12:09 PM
I hope you are able to come by John! Disappointed that you won't be racing.

Doug Smock
04-10-2016, 11:43 AM
We got the site all cleaned up and ready for company yesterday. The extended forecast looks great so far. Lows in the upper 40s highs in the 70s.

We'll be at the pond early Fri. morning getting set up and ready for FE open water starting at 12:00.

Be safe on the roads fellas and we'll see ya at the pond!!

D.

Doug Smock
04-12-2016, 05:15 PM
What, no smack talk? Everyone is going to do their talking on the pond eh?:w00t:

Ok, back to final checks and back up props.:blink:

T.S.Davis
04-12-2016, 08:27 PM
You have backup props?

Do I dare mention it? FE out numbers fuel. Its a not hostile at all take over. What's the world coming too?

Doug Smock
04-12-2016, 08:52 PM
You have backup props?

Do I dare mention it? FE out numbers fuel. Its a not hostile at all take over. What's the world coming too?

Yes we are setting a record here. Certainly more boats any previous Spring Nats & I'm pretty sure this is the most FE boats to run at ANY D13 race.

Props: Ya never know when some ya hooo is going to inadvertently attempt to occupy the space you're in resulting in prop damage.
I know this is going to shatter your image of me, but I have been guilty of said offence myself. I don't remember when it was, but I'm fairly certain it has occurred.:laugh:

T.S.Davis
04-13-2016, 08:16 AM
hahaha

"Geez Terry, what lane do you want?"
"...........................................um..... all of them?"

You have a nice central location. I could see this becoming one of THE fast electric events to be at each summer. The NAMBA FE Nats, Michigan Cup, and the IMPBA Spring nats. Something for every neck of the woods so to speak.

Your event is cool in that nobody seems to give a single crap what fuel source your running. It's just a bunch of model boating idiots. I like that. Group hug!

Can't rule out the CanAm either though. Those guys really have their crap together. Met some great people last time we were over there too.

HUFFRACING
04-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Terry,

For the past 10-12 years I have been telling Doug... I don't care what fuel source you prefer... If you can find 2 other guys that want to run a particular class, we will run it! I have never understood the us v/s them mentality some of these guys have. They want to carve out their own "insert your fuel source here" races and exclude everyone else. Why? Beats me... Clubs survive off entry fees and Bank of America doesn't care if your $15.00 deposit came from a nitro guy, a gas guy, or an electric guy!

Doug has done a good job of corrupting us down here with his amp eaters. I think the number of electric boats under the HUFFRACING tent this year will outpace the gas boats (for the first time ever). Of course it helps when one member of the team has become proficient in laying up the perfect size hull for P-Limited Mono and P-Limited Offshore!

Looking forward to it and we do appreciate you guys showing up in force!

Thanks,
Lamar

T.S.Davis
04-13-2016, 09:34 AM
We don't offer any fuel classes at the Cup race but it's primarily due to our pond. We have one resident that gets pissed when I run the retrieve boat because it has a gas motor. Chewed me out more than once. He lives in the mansion on the hill and wants absolute silence 24/7. Ugh. He must hate when the Elks have a live band on the big deck.

I think the more fuel guys that get exposed to us FE nut jobs the less they dislike us.

"Meet my friend Doug........................ Speak softly. We don't want to provoke him. Don't look em in the eye! Good Lord man, you're going to get us killed................ See all those wires and crap?..........he's an eeelectric guy."

Then once they spend a weekend in the pits with us they realize we're all the same. That's kinda what I've found with most fuel guys too. Sure, there are always one here or there that don't get the big picture but most get it. We're all just model boaters.

It's pretty clear too that there's some sort of mental instability with electric guys that makes us entertaining if nothing else.

Doby
04-13-2016, 11:20 AM
I assume Don will be there...slap him in the back of his head for me please...no particular reason why though.

Doby
04-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Although I won't be able to attend, as usual , I will be doing my best to support your event.....

T.S.Davis
04-13-2016, 12:00 PM
, as usual ,

Yeah WTH is up with that? Pack yer crap and get down there slacker.

Doby
04-13-2016, 12:21 PM
13 hours of driving, with the last 10 going through Deliverance infested states (cue the banjos) only to wind up in Smocks backyard....I'd rather do something more enjoyable...like a root canal!!!!

In all honesty, I just got off the phone with my racing cohort, its a definite possibility for next year.

T.S.Davis
04-13-2016, 01:29 PM
In all honesty, I just got off the phone with my racing cohort, its a definite possibility for next year.

Put it on your to do list. You wont be sorry. It's got a Cup feel to it. Same kind of silliness. It is becoming a "must do" destination.

We already have our FE hooks into these guys. We'll work on them to try some more stuff. P sport and Q sport maybe. Maybe a Q offshore? Got boats. Will travel.

The only down side is how early in the season this is for us. No laps under our belts.

It's 11.5hr from my house with no stops. Those banjos you hear are probably relatives of mine.

Ken Haines
04-13-2016, 01:49 PM
"Meet my friend Doug........................ Speak softly. We don't want to provoke him. Don't look em in the eye! Good Lord man, you're going to get us killed................ See all those wires and crap?..........he's an eeelectric guy."

Terry,
You must be referring to Smock in this post...:bounce:

T.S.Davis
04-13-2016, 02:44 PM
[COLOR="#0000CD"]
Terry,
You must be referring to Smock in this post...:bounce:

Thanks captain obvious. haha

Did I really need to say that? Seemed like a given when I typed it.

Doug Smock
04-13-2016, 05:40 PM
And so it begins!:laugh:

Doby, don't worry about the banjos. It won't hurt, much. lol We'll take a few minutes out and hold you guys when you arrive.:hug1:
We do appreciate the water you send our way. Did you call both your friends and ask them to flush as well?

We do need to talk about the 2017 Atlanta Spring Nats. while we have everyone together this weekend.:wink:

D.