PDA

View Full Version : 1650kv motor question

paulfromtulsa
11-07-2015, 11:26 PM
Do you guys know if the stock motor is 8s capable? I know the stock esc is not but I as going to put the zelos esc in my voracity and try to run it on 8s

Fluid
11-08-2015, 10:12 AM
I would strongly recommend against it. Even properly set up on the water will be over 40,000 and amp draw could be well over 200 amps. You would have to prop down if you tried it.

kfxguy
11-08-2015, 10:41 AM
I planned on trying it sooner or later Raphael wanted me to try it. I'd do it if your not worried about burning up the motor (I'm not, I have loads of motors lol). Honestly I think it will hold up for a couple fast passes but I wouldn't expect it to hold up for a while if you keep doing it. If you destroy it I have another one if you need it. I'm putting a tp in mine.

paulfromtulsa
11-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks fluid. How do you calculate the amp draw on paper? I know it's not 100 percent but I would like ti know how to get an estimate without a meter. Kfxguy i already have a 240amp mgm esc for my zelos when it gets here next week so that's why I ithought about putting the zelos esc in the voracity. What do you want for the 1650kv motor? Just in case my burns up right away

Rafael_Lopez
11-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Theoretically, it "should" be able to handle it. I have a pet project and will be testing this shortly myself.

Amperage is relevant to load, so if you go this route, start with a smaller prop and move up from there. If you have a watt/amperage meter that you can put in line, it will be more accurate than trying to find a way to figure this out on paper, which is all relative. You need real world data to get this all figured out. At least that's how I do it.

Fluid
11-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Of course it can be done, I have run a similar, higher-quality motor (Kv 1500) in an 8S SAW hydro to near 100 mph - official speed, not a zip-zip GPS speed - without problems. But I have many years of experience with SAW setups, the OP does not. I have been around long enough to know that most newer boaters who try extreme setups will burn it down, and unlike some others here I will not recommend an irresponsible setup. If one wonders why most of the FE record holders refrain from recommending their setups, this is why.

Instead of trying to force his motor to work, the OP would be better served by letting the higher voltage provide greater power at a lower amp draw; this is the smart, safe route for more speed. He can do this by selling his 1650 motor and buying a more appropriate motor with a Kv of around 1200. Like all monos the Voracity is speed limited anyway.

Crash
11-13-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm very new to sport Fluid
are you saying use the 1200kv with 8s to go faster with the voracity...just curious still learning the hobby. TY

Of course it can be done, I have run a similar, higher-quality motor (Kv 1500) in an 8S SAW hydro to near 100 mph - official speed, not a zip-zip GPS speed - without problems. But I have many years of experience with SAW setups, the OP does not. I have been around long enough to know that most newer boaters who try extreme setups will burn it down, and unlike some others here I will not recommend an irresponsible setup. If one wonders why most of the FE record holders refrain from recommending their setups, this is why.

Instead of trying to force his motor to work, the OP would be better served by letting the higher voltage provide greater power at a lower amp draw; this is the smart, safe route for more speed. He can do this by selling his 1650 motor and buying a more appropriate motor with a Kv of around 1200. Like all monos the Voracity is speed limited anyway.