PDA

View Full Version : SpeedWeek @ Blue Lake is back!

Glenn Quarles
11-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Friends, due to the lack of interest in the race part of SpeedWeek, I am canceling the race and changing it to a full 9 days of record trials!

Some details about the record trial:
- Begins Saturday Feb 6th and ends Sun Feb 14th
- I will be there about a week early to work on the lake, so if you want to stop by and test (and help me with setup) COME ON!!!
- Running both 1/16 mile SAW and
- 1/3 mile oval
- Blue Lake is approx 1500' long with the course set very close to the center. Gives almost 600' run-up run on both ends. Although it is not as long as some lakes, the water is often smooth! Over the course of 9 days you will most likely have all the smooth water running time you want!
- The water is generally VERY clear and it is just a very nice place to be! You will often see large bass swimming by the launch area. It is like running boats on a 1500' aquarium!
- Camping at the pond is OK. (I will be there in my motor home)
- If we have limited smooth water on any particular day I will invoke the "boats who need smooth water rule" for the last hour before sunset.
- We will start running as soon as we can get the equipment set up in the morning, and continue as long as there is safe light to run.
- Cost is $40 to entry for the entire 9 days. Come and go as often as you want!
- IMPBA cards will be checked.

Thanks! Hope to see you guys there. Please let me know if you have any questions! Also, please let me know if you think you'll be there, even if it will only be for a day or two!

GQ

Glenn Quarles
11-04-2015, 05:35 PM
I am hoping for a really strong turnout from the FE guys in the area for both the heat race part and record trial part of SpeedWeek..I have always enjoyed hanging out with you guys!

GQ

Glenn Quarles
11-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Here is a pic of Blue Lake. It is an awesome pond and the wind is often calm like this!

GQ

Glenn Quarles
11-21-2015, 11:49 AM
Friends, here is a video that gives a good over view of Blue Lake, The boat is one of Chris Harris' record setting FE hydros.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Mj-NKR-AM#

GQ

Glenn Quarles
11-21-2015, 11:53 AM
As you can see, the driver's stand is actually out over the water...give a GREAT view of the entire shoreline and makes driving much easier!!!

GQ

Ken Haines
02-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Great couple of days back at old Blue Lake.
Had a lot of fun and actually got a bunch
of time in the pond despite the wind.
Thanks Glenn and Donna for being such gracious hosts.
This event is a lot of work for just one CD, but he certainly made it all work.
Enjoyed seeing some old friends the Huffs and John Otto, met some new ones too.
Meeting Martin for the first time was a treat....great guy and skilled racer too.
I will definitely be back next year and plan to use this as my spring tune up.
Ken :bounce:

Darin Jordan
02-09-2016, 10:34 AM
I'm going to try to get Brian and hopefully Tyler on board to attending this next year!

Ken Haines
02-10-2016, 08:56 AM
Sounds good....
would be great to see the whole gang at Blue Lake.
Great lake, people and plenty of hotels and restaurants nearby.
We could even go to Daytona which is the week following the event.
It is only about a 2 hours away from Valdosta !

Ken Haines
02-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Ok....I do have the video of Martin's Record run.
The memory limit here prevented a download and it was
to big to successfully email so I just setup my first YouTube video.
Here is the link....please let me know if it works for everyone.
Thanks,
Ken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrO1N1Nb8fc

Glenn Quarles
02-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Friends, we final made it back home and I am pooped! As promised, here is a list of the record applications I am sending to Doug. I think this was the best SpeedWeek yet and folks really seemed to enjoy themselves! It was definitely the windiest one, but that was only because Truex was there!

The list (in no particular order)

- Jerry Crowther F mono 1/3 oval 21.112 sec
- Jerry Crowther SS mono SAW 68.140 mph fast pass 69.358 mph
- Jerry Crowther SS mono 1/3 oval 23.262 sec
- Crowther/Drake C OB hydro 1/3 oval 24.272 sec
- Huff/Huff P mono 1/3 oval 26.026 sec
- Ken Haines N hydro 1/3 oval 23.745 sec
- Lamar Huff crackerbox SAW 42.126 mph fast pass 42.277 mph
- Lamar Huff crackerbox 1/3 oval 32.327 sec
- Jeff Maturo N Super Stock 1/3 oval 62.365 sec
- Jeff Maturo N Stock 1/3 oval 79.142 sec
- Glenn Quarles A hydro SAW 97.444 mph fast pass 103.830 mph
- Martin Truex Jr Twin hydro 1/3 oval 16.342 sec

I'll try to put more details of some of the special things that happened once I get caught up with everything.

Darin Jordan
02-24-2016, 02:41 PM
Nicely done, gang!

Darin Jordan
02-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Could someone please describe these classes for us FE guys?? N = 2S Lipo, right? What is powering the Crackerbox??

- Lamar Huff crackerbox SAW 42.126 mph fast pass 42.277 mph
- Lamar Huff crackerbox 1/3 oval 32.327 sec

- Jeff Maturo N Super Stock 1/3 oval 62.365 sec
- Jeff Maturo N Stock 1/3 oval 79.142 sec

Doug Smock
02-24-2016, 05:33 PM
The Crackerbox is a stock Zenoah 260 PUM. (They run by the Super Sport engine rules now). The rules were just changed and the old records archived.

The N stock and Super Stock classes..... (Yes 2s) Jeff was running a Hydro as I recall and the records were open.:wink:
3. Motor Specifications
a. Motor type for records.
I. “Stock”. Motor must be a R.O.A.R. approved ‘template’ rebuildable 27t 05, 540 tabbed,
550 Johnson type. Motor may use optional torque ring and/or water cooling.
(See “How to Tech a Paradox”)
II. Motors may also be R.O.A.R. approved Brushless “Stock” or 17.5 turn motors.
(See attached, approved motor list and technical specifications)
III. “Super Stock”. Motor must be a R.O.A.R. approved ‘template’ rebuildable 19t 05, Motor
may use optional torque ring and/or water cooling. (See “How to Tech a Paradox”)
IV. Motors may also be R.O.A.R. approved Brushless “Super Stock” or 13.5 turn motors
(See motor technical specifications and example list of approved R.O.A.R. stock motors)

I'll check the paperwork and get the records updated next week fellas. Getting the fleet ready for a race next weekend.

Doug