PDA

View Full Version : Collett loose

Crash
11-01-2015, 02:16 PM
hello men
I just received the Voracity
Did not know better but, I took it out on its maiden voyage with out doing a check list and it lasted about 2 minutes before the collet spun loose.
I hit reverse which spun it tight slightly enough to get it back to shore.
I tightened the collet to what seemed appropriate and the same thing happen.
seems I don't know what I'm doing with the collet and know the flex shaft looks twisted.
Help:confused2:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc280/wheelieking101/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/1101151302.jpg (http://s216.photobucket.com/user/wheelieking101/media/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/1101151302.jpg.html)

Fluid
11-01-2015, 02:47 PM
The cable is toast unfortunately. It is important to have the collet very tight, especially on a new cable and collet. Use wrenches which fit the collet well - not cheap crescent wrenches. The wrenches should be at least eight inches long in order to apply enough torque.

Crash
11-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Crap!
It was loose from mfg
How do I remove it for replacement?

kfxguy
11-01-2015, 03:11 PM
You will probably have to cut with a dremel. You should check it just in case. Also, when you get a new cable, make sure you clean the grease off the shaft before it enters the collet. I use a rag and brake cleaner and slowly push it in as I wipe it.

photohoward1
11-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Crap!
It was loose from mfg
How do I remove it for replacement?

What do you mean loose from the manufacturer? Did you never take it apart and grease it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crash
11-01-2015, 04:59 PM
no sir I did not grease it.
The owners manual says to grease after 30 minutes of run time not out of the box. It should be ready to go. RTR

Crash
11-01-2015, 05:14 PM
The cable is toast unfortunately. It is important to have the collet very tight, especially on a new cable and collet. Use wrenches which fit the collet well - not cheap crescent wrenches. The wrenches should be at least eight inches long in order to apply enough torque.

Thanks for the advise
I went back to the boat, cranked the collet on like I meant it this time and went back to the pond with my boat.
It ran fantastic this time. Went threw 3 sets of lipo packs. Everything went great this time, the boat is fast and fun.
Turning is something new for me on a boat, still learning to drive it essentially.
I've been into RC for 15 years, BL for 5 years. but, this is my 1st boat.
thanks for any help men.

photohoward1
11-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Always check the collet ands grease it. about every 3 runs. after your day is over take it out and wipe it down and put it aside. Maintenance is a big thing in the hobby.

Crash
11-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Always check the collet ands grease it. about every 3 runs. after your day is over take it out and wipe it down and put it aside. Maintenance is a big thing in the hobby.

Thank you.

Crash
11-14-2015, 01:18 PM
many learning moments in the FE Boat Hobby
I was out to the pond today and for better handling I moved the batteries forward in the trays.
The boat handled real nice, noticeably slower but after a high speed run yesterday into the wind it took off like a airplane, I learned my lesson.
The battery leads got so hot they came loose on one lead.
Everything else is cool...ESC, Motor
Batteries and leads get hot or very warm to the touch.
what does it mean when everything is cool but batteries are hot....

StevenBryant
11-14-2015, 01:54 PM
I would say you are running the cells down too low, personally I take my cells down to around 30% capacity on a run, this keeps the cells in best condition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarel
11-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Looking at the picture you posted, the cable is unwinding. As Fluid stated, you need to replace the cable before it causes more issues.

oscarel
11-14-2015, 03:31 PM
many learning moments in the FE Boat Hobby
I was out to the pond today and for better handling I moved the batteries forward in the trays.
The boat handled real nice, noticeably slower but after a high speed run yesterday into the wind it took off like a airplane, I learned my lesson.
The battery leads got so hot they came loose on one lead.
Everything else is cool...ESC, Motor
Batteries and leads get hot or very warm to the touch.
what does it mean when everything is cool but batteries are hot....

Use the search tool. There's already a couple good tuning threads for this boat.

photohoward1
11-14-2015, 03:55 PM
What kind of connectors?

Crash
11-14-2015, 04:28 PM
I am using a set of venom batteries that came with every connector but the 5mm bullets
so I had LHS make up a set of jumpers from deans to 5mm bullets to match boat.
yes the deans is what got hot enough to melt the solder.
turns out not a great idea, I really wish my LHS had some knowledge about boats but, they do not. This is not 1st bad idea they had.

photohoward1
11-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Deans Bad! 5mm good.... learn how to solder and ged rid of the deans and the jumpers.

Crash
11-27-2015, 10:57 AM
http://vid216.photobucket.com/albums/cc280/wheelieking101/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-11/MOV_2792_3.mp4

this is when the flex drive came off.