PDA

View Full Version : ML BOATWORKS GSX 380 Q-Sport Build

Speed810
10-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Well it was my first year racing and even though I was only able to attend 3 races I had a great time and learned a great deal. Really appreciate all the help from the guys at MMEU. But all I really had was my little UL-1 to race with and it was a long stretch between heats...LOL I was able to get the 1/8 scale on the water for the last race which was a lot of fun, but you put (3) 1/8 scale boats on our pond and it gets small right quick....LOL Need to add to the fleet so I'm running at least 3 classes....:rockon2:

After having such good success with my Miss Elam 1/8 scale build I decided to add a Q-sport boat to the fleet and went with Mike's GSX 380. I have a couple of P-Sport boats I'm looking at, but haven't quite made up my mind yet. But Mike is supposed to be coming out soon with the 31" P-Sport version of this GSX 380 also.

So I ordered the GSX 380 kit a few weeks ago. The kit arrived and it is the same excellent quality that I saw in the 1/8 scale 171 extreme kit. The quality of wood is outstanding and of course the laser cutting was superb. Checked through all the parts and everything was there. Mike even has some center section instructions in PDF format to help you along with the build.

I'm planning on the Leopard 5692 1340kv on 6S, Swordfish 240 HV ESC, Speedmaster .250 rounded strut and double intake sport rudder. Possibly going to try out PPG paints this time. Not sure on the color and graphics setup. Was kind of letting the wife get involved in that part.....:confused2:

When I actually started to dry fit the center section I was telling myself that maybe I should have started with this boat instead of the 1/8 scale (LOL), because it is definitely a boat that the beginner could easily assemble and finish. This kit also comes with the fiberglass canopy that Mike lays up and it is beautifully done. All you'll have to do is cut it to fit and paint it. (I'll post pictures of that later)

This hull goes together quite quickly. I had the center section together in a day. The only thing you really need to watch is that you are building it on a very flat surface and keep things square with clamps and weights. I'll be moving on to securing the top deck and initial assembly of the sponsons before attaching them to the center section.

Anyway....more to come and as usual I'm always open to hear other power and hardware suggestions. Haven't completely made up my mind as yet...LOL

Mike

Fluid
10-29-2015, 02:44 PM
My comments:

The big Leopard is heavy overkill and not needed. Most Q Sport racers use the Neu 1527/1Y motor or equivalent.
Use 3/16" flex cable, 1/4 is not needed and will cause more drag.
Use .40-sized hardware (strut and non-tapered rudder) not gas-sized parts.
Be particularly careful about the fit of the hatch, water in the boat is a no-no.

nichismo
10-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Mike L himself used a Leopard 5698 in his first GSX 380, just saying.

And Speed just finished an amazing 1/8 scale Newton 171 Extreme kit from ML not long ago, the exact same boat as the white 2006 Elam that Don ran for so long, so hes now an official experienced FE builder ;)

I have been considering one of these for a while man! I asked him on the Intlwaters thread he made for the first build if this was his easiest kit to build, and he said it is indeed by far the easiest one to date. So I figured it would be a perfect kit for me to get my first wood build under my belt! Ive had some interesting ideas to that are a little outside the box to say the least.... I actually was intending to ask you a while back when you would be starting yours, as I thought it would have been exciting if we began at the same time. But perhaps it may end up just like the last project (me starting not far behind you)? lol haha

ttyl buddy!

-nick

Fluid
10-29-2015, 06:21 PM
You asked for suggestions, but it appears you already know what you will use. Feel free to ignore my suggestions, what the heck do I know......

nichismo
10-29-2015, 07:00 PM
ummm, im not the one who started the thread, and thus, no im not actually the one who asked for suggestions.

and your really going to take personal offensive to what I said? seriously???

:thumbdown:

Speed810
10-29-2015, 07:06 PM
You asked for suggestions, but it appears you already know what you will use. Feel free to ignore my suggestions, what the heck do I know......

Hey Jay....Just saw your posting.....appreciate the input for sure.....I have also been thinking about that. By all the motor/power guides the 4092 would probably do the job. Actually Mike used the 5692 in his boat and it appeared to be a good match. Still trying to get ahold of Mike to see if he had a reason for going to a 56mm motor.

Nic.... appreciate the words, but I am far from being an FE veteran....LOL

Let me add one more thing that really irritates me is folks that are not reading the posts correctly and on top of that making a remark that does nothing but antagonize things. Jay you did not even read that the post wasn't even mine....but someone giving another opinion. It certainly was not mine and I do appreciate all input from all hobbyist no matter what there skill level is. The day we think we know it all in this hobby is the day that person might as well hang it up. I had this same thing happen on my 1/8 scale build log and I stated it the same way then as now.....We don't need the DRAMA.....leave it else where please. Still would appreciate anything you have to add Jay....It all helps in the learning process and lord knows I can still use all you guys have to give....LOL

Gotta keep it fun folks!!

Mike

Speed810
10-29-2015, 07:32 PM
Mike L himself used a Leopard 5698 in his first GSX 380, just saying.

And Speed just finished an amazing 1/8 scale Newton 171 Extreme kit from ML not long ago, the exact same boat as the white 2006 Elam that Don ran for so long, so hes now an official experienced FE builder ;)

I have been considering one of these for a while man! I asked him on the Intlwaters thread he made for the first build if this was his easiest kit to build, and he said it is indeed by far the easiest one to date. So I figured it would be a perfect kit for me to get my first wood build under my belt! Ive had some interesting ideas to that are a little outside the box to say the least.... I actually was intending to ask you a while back when you would be starting yours, as I thought it would have been exciting if we began at the same time. But perhaps it may end up just like the last project (me starting not far behind you)? lol haha

ttyl buddy!

-nick

Hey Nick.....Sorry I got started before ya....LOL It is a great boat for your first wood build....No doubt. So order one tomorrow....LOL

You will love how this goes together. The fit of all the parts is very precise. I'm hoping he has the P-Sport boat ready to go pretty soon so I can get that ordered
and start building. Hoping that maybe I can enter the paint phase at the same time....:)

Take care buddy!

Mike

ray schrauwen
10-29-2015, 07:52 PM
The 5682 1360kv is a tad nicer being a Y wind.

cybercrxt
10-30-2015, 09:39 AM
I used the 5692, 1340kv Leopard, and up until that motor, was not a Leopard motor fan..But that motor, KV, and 6s combination in the GSX380 is an EXCELLENT choice for this boat. The motor, ESC, and batteries all stayed cool due to the lack of work the motor had to do. I was spinning a very nice size prop, and the motor came back at 90 degrees, if that, ESC was less than 100 degrees, and batteries were 104 I think. Not to mention, with the setup I had, the boat balanced out perfect, with no additional lead needed. The boat ran rock solid, and for the first time, I had a sport Q hydro that didnt feel stressed like the 1527's felt. When I had my GP400 with 1527 1.5d, 1500kv, the motor would come back burning hot, wires on the leads were about melting, and the prop size was much smaller, not to mention the 1527 cost like 3 times as much. I will personally never use a 1527 if I can use a 5692 in an application from here on out. Just my 2 cents, but what do I know, I am just the designer, haha

cybercrxt
10-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Oh, and if I remember right, I was spinning an X457 or X460. Great setup..You guys have seen the video of the boat running! No explanation needed!

Speed810
10-30-2015, 10:01 AM
Morning Mike.....Well I guess that pretty much answers my question....

I will have to say that I am having somewhat the same proboems with my 1527 1.5Y in the Elams 1/8 scale. Motor will come back at 140 to 150 and the esc at about 130. To me this is still to hot. I can only imagine the motor is actually getting hotter than that since it takes time to get the sub hatch out etc. Almost wondering if this might not be a better package to go with on a 10S setup in the 1/8 scale. But not sure I woud get the RPM out of it even witha 750kv Leporard.

What do you think?

Mike

T.S.Davis
10-30-2015, 03:35 PM
I built my Whip40 around a Neu 2215/1y and it was a total waste of effort. The 1527/1y that Jay mentioned is the most versatile 6s motor we've found. Works in everything that needs 6s. Freddy baked mine in his cat so I ended up borrowing one from Tom. The boat ran better.

That said, I would like to experiment with one of the TP motors. The quality is a little better with the TP's versus the Leopard. Maybe a 4070/4y at 1090kv with a 455/3.....ish prop on it. I may try that in a Q mono come spring. I plan to twig build one over the winter.

cybercrxt
10-30-2015, 03:38 PM
1090kv on 6s with a 455 prop would be a dog in the GSX380...It likes the 70mph range, and can do it with ease. Why spend 3 times the money on a Neu, when they seem to fail all the time lately, and the GSX380 balances out perfect with the 5692 Leopard. Just sayin...I was a Neu fan once too...not so much anymore.

T.S.Davis
10-30-2015, 03:48 PM
For what it's worth. I set the NAMBA national heat record in 2009 with the 1527/1y and the 2 lap IMPBA record with the same motor. Then my heat time was beaten in 2010 with a 1527/1.5d out in CO. Mike Ball and Mike Paganelli exchanged the record at the 14 nats at the Elks lodge. They were duke'n it out run after run. Each lowering the time by a tic. Both boats......................1527/1y. It was down to something like .02 seconds between them. Neither applied for the record. Sean's 2010 record finally expired.

Mike Ball destroyed my IMPBA 2 lap time with ...................the 1527 again. Better prop and a lighter boat equaled way fast. Tom's got the boat now. It's still stupid fast.

cybercrxt
10-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Terry, I understand all of that...I have used both of the motors we are talking about, and the 5692 just outperforms the 1527 in a 6-7 lap application. I personally did not care for the 1.5d 1527 in my GP400 as it seemed to struggle with the X457 prop I wanted to run and was raging hot after 6 laps. The boat wanted more power..the motor struggled to stay cool. The 5692 comes back cold...To me, that is worth the extra size/ weight. Run that same setup 7 laps and tell me how that 1527 is fairing...2 laps is a lot less run time!

T.S.Davis
10-30-2015, 03:56 PM
Why spend 3 times the money on a Neu, when they seem to fail all the time lately, and the GSX380 balances out perfect with the 5692 Leopard.

Mike, I'm not discounting what your saying but................. because they win. haha

I've seen, driven, or raced against all the boats that set the last 4 NAMBA heat records. All running 1527.

Zola tried an experimental TP in his ML but the KV was too high. The boat is ridiculous fast but everything comes in too hot. He's killed the boat too. His build can't run that fast. Too many flight of the butterfly incidents if you know what I mean.

I still think it can be done cheaper too but I don't think the 56mm motor is necessary. That's all.

T.S.Davis
10-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Why so much prop on the 1.5d? We never ran that much prop on that motor.

I don't like the D winds in much of anything. Amp hogs.

kfxguy
10-30-2015, 09:31 PM
Just wondering, why not a 1530? More tq than a 1527.....just asking....

nichismo
10-30-2015, 10:38 PM
ah 5692 rather, my mistake.

What do you guys think of maybe running one of these? :

http://www.mhz-powerboats.com/category-13/category-47/MHZ---Scorpion-Motor-HK-4035-1260.html

T.S.Davis
10-30-2015, 11:05 PM
Just wondering, why not a 1530? More tq than a 1527.....just asking....

We tried that too. Not sure why it doesn't work as well. The 1090 I mentioned would be a dog on a 455 but not on a 3 blade 455.

rayzerdesigns
10-31-2015, 10:51 AM
Guys were running the 5692s at nationalsthis year.. All i can say is fast.. My q mono buildis being built around this motor..

Fluid
10-31-2015, 11:05 AM
If one is afraid to run one of those unreliable Neu 1527/1Ys he could save a little $$$ with an HET 700-98-1170. Better quality than a TP or Leopard - at less cost than a Neu with similar performance. It needs a slightly higher pitch prop than the Neu but can deliver the goods.

ray schrauwen
10-31-2015, 11:57 AM
Can you suggest a specific prop for the HET?

Speed810
10-31-2015, 12:25 PM
Good discussion guys.....really appreciate the insight. So far the only NEU motor I have been able to have experience with is the 1527 1.5Y in my 1/8 scale. Still have some tweaking to do....but I guess I'll see how long it lasts. But right now it has me concerned on how hot it gets after a 6 lap turn. However as Terry and Todd can attest to it is quite a bit heavier boat too. Its very stable but I don't think I'm getting quite the speed I need to be fairly competitive....not after seeing the 1/8 scale runs of Terry's and Todd's boats. Of course Terry's was so fast it seemed hard to keep it on the water....LOL So I may be thinking of an alternative for the spring unless we can figure out something else.

As far as this Q-sport boat I'll be researching the other motor options that you folks are talking about. Would like to experiment with a couple of different motors and see how they perform. At the same time trying to keep the price reasonable....trying to keep it well below what I have into my 1/8 scale...LOL $$$$
I think I am starting to go back to some of my aircraft thinking which is I would rather look at motor out put vs weight package instead of trading off motor weight and then having to add weight to accomplish a good COG. (It seems like such a waste now that I have 16 oz of extra lead I need to be pushing around in that 1/8 scale)
It seems more and more to me that it is extremely important for race setup to hit that happy medium for speed and satiability. Hitting that perfect weight to power ratio is critical. [Just my 2 cents]

I know that was the only thing I figure out when looking at Mikes power package....I was like why the heck would you want to go to a 56mm motor that was 10oz heavier with all that power when 40mm motor would do just fine. Well I went back to my aircraft building...weight vs matching power package. If I'm going to have to add weight why not have it in my power package. Not saying that the Leopard is the best choice, but its a start.

Thanks again guys....learning a lot here through the discussion....

Mike

785boats
10-31-2015, 03:39 PM
Just had a read through all this Mike. Good stuff here.
I'll be putting a 56 series motor in my next 1/8th scale hydro for sure because it is the 'Such Crust II' which scales out to 51"
Cheers.
Paul.

b0atnutz3
10-31-2015, 07:40 PM
As Jay mentioned the HET motor perform I am running onion my Q ML sport and am having fun.

flraptor07
11-01-2015, 07:03 AM
I had the Neu 1527 1500kv in my GP400 and switched to a TP4070 1770kv with the same prop (ABC 56mm 1.6 don't have the # right now) the TP was about 7mph faster and ran 30deg. cooler. I'd say that pretty much speaks for it's self. BTW the TP 4070 is closer to the size of the Neu 1530.

kfxguy
11-01-2015, 11:53 AM
I had the Neu 1527 1500kv in my GP400 and switched to a TP4070 1770kv with the same prop (ABC 56mm 1.6 don't have the # right now) the TP was about 7mph faster and ran 30deg. cooler. I'd say that pretty much speaks for it's self. BTW the TP 4070 is closer to the size of the Neu 1530.

I'm starting to be a tp fan myself but that not really a fair comparison (unless you factor in $$) the 4070 is bigger and more kv so I'd expect more speed. Now compare the same kv and closer size motor....which I plan on doing soon...

nichismo
11-01-2015, 01:15 PM
It really stuns me at how much positive feedback overall im seeing in regards to the TP power motors, almost seems too good to be true, considering how often i see Leopard motors being used.

But im going to purchase this kit too and was curious if anyone could maybe shed some light on how they think the MHZ version of the watercooled Scorpion 4035? Sincw its 1260kv it seemed like maybe a decent choice for this boat?

kfxguy
11-01-2015, 02:01 PM
It really stuns me at how much positive feedback overall im seeing in regards to the TP power motors, almost seems too good to be true, considering how often i see Leopard motors being used.

But im going to purchase this kit too and was curious if anyone could maybe shed some light on how they think the MHZ version of the watercooled Scorpion 4035? Sincw its 1260kv it seemed like maybe a decent choice for this boat?

Look bud, I've personally tried to, castle, neu, lehner, dynamite, associated, sss- to name a few and I can tell you for the money they can't be beat.

785boats
11-01-2015, 05:49 PM
The only motors I've sacrificed to the 'Smoke Gods' have been Leopards (three of them). The TP & the TFL SSS motors just keep on spinning.
I must agree about the HET motors though. I've only got one of them, but it is very powerful & efficient. But a bit more expensive.

ray schrauwen
11-01-2015, 06:55 PM
I don't think my TP 4070 1250kv is working as it should since I got it but I did heat it up a few times too much so, its my own fault. Now I'm running a HET in my Whip 40 but, only got out to run it once and it's nice. I've finally fixed all driveline issues that caused the heat in the first place. It was a great motor and I might send it back to see if it can be fixed at all.

T.S.Davis
11-02-2015, 08:32 AM
MHZ version of the watercooled Scorpion 4035? Sincw its 1260kv

That might be worth a try. Atomic sells something very similar in it's big RTR 6s cat. I've not experimented with that though.

T.S.Davis
11-02-2015, 08:36 AM
I don't think my TP 4070 1250kv is

Ray, what kind of prop got it hot? Or do you think you had some binding?

One of our club members is running the next KV lower in a mono. We can turn a blade the size of Rhode Island. Might get to 100 degrees on a warm day. Mid 50 mph maybe. Super stable.

nichismo
11-10-2015, 01:28 AM
Morning Mike.....Well I guess that pretty much answers my question....

I will have to say that I am having somewhat the same proboems with my 1527 1.5Y in the Elams 1/8 scale. Motor will come back at 140 to 150 and the esc at about 130. To me this is still to hot. I can only imagine the motor is actually getting hotter than that since it takes time to get the sub hatch out etc. Almost wondering if this might not be a better package to go with on a 10S setup in the 1/8 scale. But not sure I woud get the RPM out of it even witha 750kv Leporard.

What do you think?

Mike

if anyone remembers, the first motor I bought for my T5 was a 5698, and even though I sold it, ive been more and more interested lately in 56mm motors potentially for 1/8 hydros. The size was a huge issue for me at first, but now it seems like a minor hurdle to say the least.... the 2028 seems to perform pretty darn well from the few cases ive seen, and ive really been curious what a TP 5670 would do... probably too much power with that particular motor, but with an 8s setup and say, perhaps 700kv, itd be interesting to see?

ray schrauwen
11-10-2015, 11:58 AM
I think it was hurt early on with binding in driveline. Stuffing tube would shift and after I hit Zola in 2014 I ran another heat after not noticing the stuffing tube was crushed and binding badly! I went from 455 down to a M447 and still the heat is there.

Ray, what kind of prop got it hot? Or do you think you had some binding?

One of our club members is running the next KV lower in a mono. We can turn a blade the size of Rhode Island. Might get to 100 degrees on a warm day. Mid 50 mph maybe. Super stable.

cybercrxt
12-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Any more progress? I would love to see some pics! Mike

Speed810
12-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Hey Mike....

Well with the holidays, Deer hunting and re-modeling a bedroom for my granddaughter it took up most of my November....LOL So not really a lot of work accomplished. But actually from the last set of picks...I did accomplish quite a bit...:) The center section top decking is in place, cut the fiberglass cowling to fit. Built up both sponsons and epoxied those to the center section. They fit like a glove...alignment was perfect.

Actually installed some of the bottom stringers on both sponsons, so they are ready to sheet and then install the foam and top sponson decking. Still need to give a coat of epoxy to the interior of the center section and will probably lay some light glass cloth in and around the motor and battery compartments. Don't really think a heavy carbon fiber is needed.

Trying to keep this boat a bit lighter than my 1/8 scale build....LOL

This boat actually goes together really quickly...so not in huge rush. There will be ice on the water soon...:)

Later

Mike

nichismo
12-07-2015, 05:22 PM
man I really want to build one of these

Speed810
01-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Well took a break on my P-Sport boat. Waiting on more sticks and hardware.

So got back to work on the Q boat. Added some 1/8" sticks in the sponsons for more glue area and completed the skins on the bottom of the sponsons. Took a little longer, but I like to epoxy all the skins on instead of using CA.

Next will be doing some interior fiberglass work and epoxy sealing the interior. Hardware should be here shortly so I can start mounting things and get a weight idea.

Shooter
01-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Boat looks great. It's interesting to see all the sponson venting designs. The ML you have opens up the front and allows the air to essentially flow right through (like the whip 40). The whip20 blocks the air in front and opens up the outlet to reduce pressure underneath. The pearl P sport follows the same philosophy but opens up the exit even more with the angled bleeds to reduce even more pressure.

nichismo
03-09-2016, 05:22 PM
Any updates Mike?

God I have to be honest, at first, when compared to the first GP sport ML kits, I wasn't too fond of the overall aesthetics of the hull....

But its grown on me so friggin much! I cant stop looking at photos of it! I just love it, it just looks so sleek, streamlined, and quick even when its not moving, out of the water!

I need to just buckle down and order one already!

Speed810
03-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Hey all.....

Finally have got back to work on the 380!! I know about time right....:doh:

Well all the hardware is mounted, motor mount and rails have been glassed and epoxied. Installed the Virginia Craftsman turn fin, filled the sponsons with expanding foam and epoxied the decks in place. Servo is mounted and water lines were routed.

Nic....Your right----after installing the decks and seeing the lines on this boat, it just looks fast even sitting on the work bench. Next I need to install the stuffing tube and compete the sealing of the interior. After that it will be ready for sealing, prime and paint.

I started test fitting the batteries, ESC, extra cap bank and battery connection plate. Also began some preliminary balance tests and it looks like its going to be right where it should be with plenty of room either way to move the batteries forward or back to zero it in.

So more to come as I move forward....

b0atnutz3
03-16-2016, 07:24 AM
Can I ask what size batteries are they?

cybercrxt
03-16-2016, 08:51 AM
Looking GREAT!!!! The GSX310, 31" hull cowling molds are now done, and the kits are as well! Mike

GSX310 cowling:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/1-GSX310%20build/cowl2_zpsimja4cys.jpg

Blandon
03-16-2016, 12:34 PM
Great looking build!!! ML Boatworks does amazing work and such attention to detail. I'm building two boats right now but my next boat will definitely be from ML. I am a cabinet maker so wood kits are kind of my thing!Lol... Look forward to your progress

Speed810
03-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Thanks Blandon...it's getting there!

Speed810
03-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Boatnutz...the batteries are 2 4500mah 6S packs that will be hooked up in paraelle.

Speed810
03-16-2016, 01:39 PM
Great looking build!!! ML Boatworks does amazing work and such attention to detail. I'm building two boats right now but my next boat will definitely be from ML. I am a cabinet maker so wood kits are kind of my thing!Lol... Look forward to your progress

Thanks Mike...it's coming along really well. Any input on the ESC location? Did you end up locating yours up front?
Great to hear about the 310. Definitly will look at one soon here. Love building these boats!

nichismo
03-17-2016, 06:44 AM
Man how the heck does he manage do pull this stuff off??

Not only does he knock it out the park with the first ML sport kits, then he somehow tops those off immensely by creating a new boat that not only looks AND performs better, but is also stronger and MUCH easier and convenient to build (not saying the original sport kits were difficult by any means either)!!

Mind=Blown

Dudes a genius!!

and judging by the looks of his ever expanding quality of fiberglass parts, if he steps into the glass hull game....... well.... we gotta ask if thats even going to be fair to the other manufacturers out there! :scared: :laugh:

Speed810
03-22-2016, 09:40 PM
Evening guys!

Well I have been trying to plan my time a little better seeing that I have 2 boats on the table. Found that with a little pre-planning I have been able to make some good progress on both. The Pearl is about ready for prime and paint.

I completed the motor and stuffing tube install. As with most of my builds I take some west system epoxy and mix in a good amount of west systems 404 filler and fair in all the inside corners and seams. Using a little lacquer thinner on your finger you can smooth it out to the point where very little sanding is required. Then went over the whole boat inspecting for any imperfections such as where the bulkheads fit down into the bottom of the boat and of course small scratches or dents in the wood.

Final sanding has been completed and its now ready for its epoxy sealing coat.

As with my P-sport boat I decided to stick with HOK products for the prime and paint. I'll be doing this with the KD3000 epoxy primer and finishing with a Emerald Green Pearl and a couple coats of clear.

Can't wait for the race season to start.......:lol:

Mike

Speed810
03-25-2016, 10:44 PM
The epoxy sealing coats were finished last night on the 380. Love this West System epoxy. Went with the slower hardener for the sealing process this time and thinned slightly with lacquer thinner.

Tonight spent about 2 1/2 hours sanding the whole hull down with 120 and then 320 for a real nice finish. Will wipe the hull down with HOK KC10 that is a grease/wax/silicone remover before priming. It also pulls out any left over sanding particles so you have a good surface for adhesion.

So I'll be putting up the paint booth on Sunday morning and getting ready for the prime and paint work. Really excited to see this emerald green pearl on this boat. I know the wife is.....she picked it out.....lol

Mike

Brushless55
03-26-2016, 12:06 AM
Wow, that looks nice and clean.. Great job man ! :thumbup1:

785boats
03-26-2016, 02:10 PM
Looking good Mike.
We've got a couple of these racing at our club now. They are magic in the rough conditions.
Both were built by John who also builds Scale R/C Jets. His attention to detail during construction is outstanding. Just like yours is.

Speed810
03-30-2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys for the cudo's..... This 380 is really so easy to build and when you get done it is one solid boat. Mike has out done himself with this boat.
Will be ordering the 310 later this summer to have another P-sport boat in the fleet. If the TP motor in the Pearl holds out, I'd like to put the same power in the 310 and compare the two.

Also will be looking at building another 1/8 scale this fall. Now that I have learned so much more from you guys, I'm thinking with my revised building techniques I will have this next 1/8 scale coming in a lot lighter than the Elam's boat. But still a lot of guys are saying that a 20lb. 1/8 scale is not that far off.

Prime Booth is back together and will be priming the 380 tonight.

Mike

Blandon
03-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Looking great!!!! Can't wait to see the paint job!

785boats
03-30-2016, 03:50 PM
Hi Mike.
What new 1/8 scale are you thinking of building?

I'm not trying to talk you out of it but you might find the GP310 a tad small for your full P spec racing. The GP335 is possibly a better option in race water at those speeds.
I run the GP310 in our 'Restricted' class, which is the Proboat or Aquacraft 1500kv motor & the 45A ESC. Very fast in that class with an X645 or X447 prop.
I have raced it in that format in full our full open EA class (your P class) It was a bit slower than the other boats of course, but the choppy race water created by the bigger boats really affected the smaller hull. Just something to consider. But it is a magic little hull.

Speed810
03-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Hi Paul..

Its actually Mikes new GSX310 designed off the 380. Its a 31" hull with the same air bleed design and I believe a bit wider sponson stance that hopefully would give it a bit more stability in rougher water. But I'll be watching it for a bit during the summer and watch the test runs to see how it performs.

Not sure of the 1/8 scale build as yet.....I am leaning toward ML Boatworks Newton 108/ MHR 7025 in the 1975 Miss Bud or the Miss Squire Shop Boat. Seems to be a very stable boat and the lines are really sleek. The wife wants me to build it in the Miss Bud....LOL She loves that boat....HAHAHA!

785boats
03-30-2016, 06:54 PM
If it is more stable, then it will certainly be a little rocket. I'm running one of the original hulls. I look forward to seeing the progress on it when you get started.

The Budweiser is a cool boat in all it's various forms.
John, at our club has just finished this one. Hasn't even had its first race yet. He did a stunning job on it. His skills come from building large scale jets.

Speed810
03-30-2016, 07:19 PM
That's one beautiful boat right there. Wow....John does some great work!!
That is the boat right there that I am looking at building for my next project. Is that an ML Boatworks boat?

Did John have a build thread somewhere so to take a look at it?

785boats
03-30-2016, 08:52 PM
I thought you might be inspired by that. Your dear wife might like those pics too, if she loves that boat so much.
Yes. It is an ML Boatworks kit.
Unfortunately he didn't do a build thread on it. Sorry.

785boats
04-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Mike.
Here's a bit more inspiration for you.
We had another round of 1/8 scale racing on the weekend & here's Johns' Bud in its first race. The other boats have had a year of racing & tuning behind them already, so for the first race it showed that it is a good boat to drive. And I think he was being a bit conservative with it too. It only had a single test session, 2 weeks ago, before this race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DlaxL_SFwM

cybercrxt
04-04-2016, 03:35 PM
That was one of my kits? I would guess the 108 kit maybe? Looks like a lot of fun!

785boats
04-05-2016, 04:21 AM
That was one of my kits? I would guess the 108 kit maybe? Looks like a lot of fun!

You are spot on there Mike. It's the 108. If you go back to post #59 you will see some nice photos of it.
And yes it is a lot of fun. I managed to take top honours for the day with your Lauterbach kit of the Miss America IV U-36.

Speed810
04-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Paul....
That is really impressive....and that boat looks great on the water. I think those 1/8 scales in the video have got a bit more speed than my Miss Elam that's for sure. At least it looks like it. Didn't really have the opportunity to be around the guys at the club much for testing and tuning. Hoping I get the chance this summer and see if I can get some good speed and performance out of her. It needs something, otherwise those other 1/8 scales are going to blow me out of the water. But maybe with a 20lb boat I can't expect much more...idk.

Be really interesting to get some specifics on John's setup.....motor, ESC, batteries, prop info, approx. weight. Also info on the canopy parts, mock motor etc. Did John do all the main art work via painting or are those graphic inlays...like the gold etc. If they were all painted that is amazing work....This painting thing is an art that's for sure. But I'm learning...LOL Will have to do some major inquisitions on how he did that work.

Mike...How is that 108 kit to build? We talking about Jigs etc. in order to build a nice straight boat? Dang...Looks like I'll have the 108 and the 310 to plan on this fall....LOL The 380 is still in prime only....still waiting on Jeff to send out the 380 graphics. If he doesn't send them out by today for the weekend I'll be looking for something else real quick this week so I can get this project done this weekend for the race coming up on the 24th of this month.

You guys take care....and talk soon.

Mike

Speed810
04-05-2016, 09:51 AM
You are spot on there Mike. It's the 108. If you go back to post #59 you will see some nice photos of it.
And yes it is a lot of fun. I managed to take top honours for the day with your Lauterbach kit of the Miss America IV U-36.

Congrats Paul on the Miss America U-36 honors...:)

cybercrxt
04-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Mike, its a strong kit, the 108 I mean.. and tons of room inside. I used it as a base for the Squire Shop I built...just extended the transom an 1 1/2" if I remember right. Here are some frame pics. I have different versions of this kit too..one is a version with quarter round at the front like my sport hydros and 3/32" ply. The one show below I think was the mild version. Mike

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/108%20Frame/DSCF6021Large.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/108%20Frame/DSCF6022Large.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/108%20Frame/DSCF6025Large.jpg

cybercrxt
04-05-2016, 10:04 AM
The Squire shop build I did. and here is a link to all 72 pics. Mike

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/U-64%20Squire%20Shop/2012-07-21_17-44-34_626Copy.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/U-64%20Squire%20Shop/2012-07-21_15-47-42_709Copy.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/U-64%20Squire%20Shop/2012-07-11_19-43-30_215Copy.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/U-64%20Squire%20Shop/2012-08-17_16-43-50_400.jpg

I have molds for that canopy as well...

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/U-64%20Squire%20Shop/2012-09-29_07-06-26_307.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/spoonefcrx/U-64%20Squire%20Shop/2012-09-29_07-05-58_622.jpg

785boats
04-06-2016, 02:55 AM
Paul....
That is really impressive....and that boat looks great on the water. I think those 1/8 scales in the video have got a bit more speed than my Miss Elam that's for sure. At least it looks like it. Didn't really have the opportunity to be around the guys at the club much for testing and tuning. Hoping I get the chance this summer and see if I can get some good speed and performance out of her. It needs something, otherwise those other 1/8 scales are going to blow me out of the water. But maybe with a 20lb boat I can't expect much more...idk.

Be really interesting to get some specifics on John's setup.....motor, ESC, batteries, prop info, approx. weight. Also info on the canopy parts, mock motor etc. Did John do all the main art work via painting or are those graphic inlays...like the gold etc. If they were all painted that is amazing work....This painting thing is an art that's for sure. But I'm learning...LOL Will have to do some major inquisitions on how he did that work.

Mike...How is that 108 kit to build? We talking about Jigs etc. in order to build a nice straight boat? Dang...Looks like I'll have the 108 and the 310 to plan on this fall....LOL The 380 is still in prime only....still waiting on Jeff to send out the 380 graphics. If he doesn't send them out by today for the weekend I'll be looking for something else real quick this week so I can get this project done this weekend for the race coming up on the 24th of this month.

You guys take care....and talk soon.

Mike

Mike.
I'll tell you what I remember about Johns' Budweiser.
Motor is a TP Power 4060, 1030kv I think. Running on 8s1p spinning an X450 prop.
ESC is a Swordfish 240A HV
Both John & a friend of his painted the hull

Graphics are from Thunderboat Graphics.
http://www.thunderboatgraphics.com/

Dummy engine from Classic Hydros.
http://www.classichydros.com/#!/Hydroplane-Engine-Kits/c/4761303/offset=0&sort=normal

But Hydroscale Creations also sell a resin engine kit.
http://www.hydroscalecreations.com/MiscItems/MiscItems.htm

Cowling from R/C Boat Company.
http://www.rcboatcompany.com/Cowlings.html
But Mike at ML Boatworks also makes a variety of cowlings, so check with him too.

Thanks for the congrats on the U-36. But the last race was handed to me when Darryl had trouble with the cowling & then flipped. But I'll take a win any way I can. The water was a bit choppy for a shovel running against a couple of pickles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO1J8NZhHBo

Speed810
04-06-2016, 06:28 PM
Hey Paul....
Your boat actually looked like it handled the rough water pretty well out there. A little bouncing around, but it stayed pretty stable. OF course like you said, sometimes you just take the win anyway you can...lol Happens with the real unlimited too!...lol

Thank so much for all the information on the Miss Bud. I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out the paint sequence on the hull and how the curves where painted....LOL If you ever talk to John maybe he wouldn't mind divulging his technique....LOL

785boats
04-07-2016, 04:13 AM
Yeah. She's a good ol' boat. I ran a smaller prop for that last heat & it kept her a bit more settled than the previous two heats.
I'll probably see John this weekend, I'll ask him to email me over a spiel on the painting process, & I'll send it over to you. John doesn't get on these forums much, apart from a bit of reading. He should though. He has a lot to offer. DO YOU HEAR ME JOHN!!!:biggrin:

I've got to say, I'm loving the look of the 'Squire Shop' Mike. Mainly because of the motor being behind the driver. Might search for some other boats that used that hull & Motor configuration. A more obscure or less famous one.

Cheers.
Paul.

Speed810
04-10-2016, 02:48 PM
Well the painting did not go as planned today......:angry:

Finally received my graphics yesterday, so started to prep for painting today. The primer was all sanded with 600 and wiped down with a tack cloth. Hung the parts in the booth so painting could begin today. Made sure my compressor was working properly and got out the bit bigger HVLP gun with a 1.4 type to spray the clear. The emerald green is HOK that I purchased in a spray can. The clear is a urethane HOK USC01 with a catalyst and slow reducer. Cut out all the graphics for the hull and canopy.

So started with the green and everything turned out great...[spray can] Really love the color. Applied the graphics and all went well.

Then prepared to shoot the clear after about 2 hours dry time. Mixed everything up and did a test shoot on test paper. Fan and product feed looked good so started to shoot the boat. Started getting splatters of clear so turned down the feed still to much....I almost had it down to about 2 turns out to get a nice mist. Then I notice all sorts of running starting and dripping......:bash:
Well this clearing is all screwed up now. And to make things even worse the canopy parts that were setting on a box with a paper covering fell off the box and you guessed it....it had some clear over spray on it and picked up a bunch of crap off the floor in the booth.....UHG!!!!!

So I guess I'll have to wait for the clear to dry 24 hours and go back and do a lot of sanding with 800 wet being carful not to go thur to the color, but to level everything out. Then re-shoot the clear again. The canopy might be a little tuffer. Was planning on lightly sanding those areas that got chipped up and then scuff the rest with a maroon pad. Then very carefully re-spray some green to cover those areas being careful to not over spray the graphics. Then shoot the clear.

So have lots of work to do!! Appreciate anyone's experience and other ideas that I may look at doing to take care of this. Gun setup or my corrective actions to take care of the problem. Anything at all would be great....:help:

So included some pics just so you could see the color. really hard to see the runs and all from the pictures, but they are there.

Thanks Guys!!

Mike

Speed810
04-21-2016, 08:15 AM
With a lot of sanding and paint touchup on the edges finished with the last 2 coats of clear coat. Still not one of my best efforts due to a couple of bad planning moves on my part. Even after all the sanding still have some areas that did not finish the way I wanted. Everything went great through the paint work until I got to the clear coating process. On both my Pearl and the GSX380 I had problems.

What did I learn....Really need to move slow on the final clear coat process. Thin/medium coats are best making sure the coats are being put on evenly with plenty of overlap. Double check your gun settings making sure the pattern is a nice even oval with a good mist of clear...no spitting and splattering....means the fluid flow is set to hi. The second try went much better and I'm still happy with the result even with my initial goof up.

I love the emerald pearl green with the silver graphics....:rockon2:

Not going to have ready for race day this weekend, but it doesn't t look like they are running that class anyway. Still have some electronics to complete and props to sharpen and balance.

Beautiful boat to build....Cudo's to Mike on another great design...:)

785boats
04-21-2016, 02:20 PM
Looks damn fine from here mate.
Love the colour.

rat350r
08-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Speed810

I just finished my GSX380 and put it in the water for the first time this past weekend. I am using the Leopard 5698 and an X457 prop. I attempted to use a Hobby Wing "SeaKing" 180 v3 Amp ESC just because I have a couple of them. Well the boat would only make about half a lap at speed before the ESC would shut down due to thermal overload. I am interested in how you made out with the Swordfish 240A ESC and how the wiring was done.

Anyone with useful comments is welcome to chime in Thanks in advance for your advice.

Speed810
08-19-2019, 10:44 AM
Hey Rat....I’ve been running the swordfish 240 HV for 3 years now in my Q boat. No problems at all. Matter fact they now have the new X series. Check them out.

IMO...those SK 180’s will not do the job in a Q boat. Pulling way to many amps.
I have an X200 amp in one of my P-sport boats and it works perfectly.

So far the swordfish ESC’s have not let me down.

rat350r
08-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Speed810

Thanks for the quick reply. if it is not too much trouble could you post some pictures of the battery and ESC location.
Also did the weight ready to run come out to be and where is the GC?

Thanks

Speed810
08-19-2019, 12:35 PM
Hey Rat... the layout for batteries and ESC Is similar to this picture. This was a new ML 380 that I built for a buddy. The only difference was that he is using the Mamba XL 220amp. ESC. The Swordfish 240 will be right up against the bulkhead except you’ll stand it up on edge instead of flat in the tub.
Depending on where your motor is mounted this should give you plenty of room to move your 6S packs around for obtaining the correct CG.

I have been finding that the ML boats like the CG right around 1 1/8” to 1 1/4” from the trailing edge of the sponson. Also note that the motor I’ve been using is the 5692.

Hope this helps

rat350r
08-19-2019, 12:47 PM
Speed810,

A picture is worth a thousand words, this helps a ton. The motor size was a typo on my part I am also using the 5692 in the same location as your build. Thanks for the info.

Have a great day

rat350r
08-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Speed810,

Did you experience any issues with getting the boat up on plain from a dead start. My boat tends to act more like submarine.

Speed810
02-21-2020, 09:59 AM
Speed810,

Did you experience any issues with getting the boat up on plain from a dead start. My boat tends to act more like submarine.

Hey Rat.... Sorry its been so long on getting back to ya. Been a lot going on since the 1st part of Sept. with family stuff... Yes my 380 would act like a sub all the time.
I set the CG back to around the 1.5' to 1.8' behind the sponson heel. Had to add weight to the transom. Did some more tweaking on the strut and raised it so it would kick the front up. This all seemed to help, but its still not as great as I was hoping for. It is blistering fast...but very unstable. I have had so many times when it will be running down the front or back stretch, full out, stable and then bang...out of no where it dives right down. Sometimes I won't see it again for 1 to 2 minutes when it finally comes back up. I have had the darn thing suck in the bottom mud for 5 minutes and then all of sudden...boink...it pops up.

Let me know if you were able to owrk out any of your problems with it and we'll compare notes.

rat350r
03-10-2020, 02:47 PM
Speed810,

I got out this past Sunday with my GSX 380. Over the winter I moved the motor aft 1". I put an X452 prop on it which is a little small, and for the first time the boat from a dead start jumped up on plane and took off fine. I have no idea what kind of speed it was running but the boat finished two runs of 7 laps around our race course with no issues. Everything came back to shore cool but I suspect the water was chilly helping keep things cool. I need to check where the balance point is and I will get back to you. I hope 2020 is a better boating year than last year. I was thinking of changing my initials last year to DNF.

Speed810
03-12-2020, 08:17 AM
Speed810,

I got out this past Sunday with my GSX 380. Over the winter I moved the motor aft 1". I put an X452 prop on it which is a little small, and for the first time the boat from a dead start jumped up on plane and took off fine. I have no idea what kind of speed it was running but the boat finished two runs of 7 laps around our race course with no issues. Everything came back to shore cool but I suspect the water was chilly helping keep things cool. I need to check where the balance point is and I will get back to you. I hope 2020 is a better boating year than last year. I was thinking of changing my initials last year to DNF.

Hey Rat....
Sure be interesting to know where the new COG ends up. Can you give me a measurement from the back of the sponson bulkhead to the top edge of the motor? We'll see if we are close on yours and the second one I built.....LOL I know on last years 380 build for my buddy I ended up with the motor about an inch aft of where mine is. Figure I'll tear the motor out of mine and relocate the motor mount and stuffing box. Sure seemed to make a difference on my buddies boat.