PDA

View Full Version : Next Best Flex???

rickwess
10-22-2015, 05:07 PM
With Hughey flex cables being as scarce as hens teeth, what's the next best that's available? Is a welded cable better than "Loctite" cable?

Thanks.

iridebikes247
10-22-2015, 10:27 PM
The flex Steve sells seems pretty good, I have bought his counter rotating sets and they've held up very well.

The Hughey cables were great but I haven't been let down by the new stuff from OSE.

high-tech
10-23-2015, 09:46 AM
Ditto

rickwess
10-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Good to know. Thanks.

dmitry100
10-23-2015, 10:45 AM
iridebikes: Do you sand down the OSE stuff? Or is sanding not needed for this type of flex -- with larger diameter wire strands?

It seems like I'm creating more contact area-- which would generate more resistance by sanding such a flex cable. Perhaps it would only somewhat benefit from just lightly polishing it?

longballlumber
10-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Tim has gone to great lengths to duplicate the Hughey shafts and has done a great job. I will be getting my flex cables from him now that the hughey shaft are no longer available.

http://jercproducts.com/

Later,
Ball

dmitry100
10-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Yes, but does he have them in reverse rotation ?

But if you already have a stinger shaft -- can't you easily just flip a flex cable that is layed in either direction, or does it have to be specially made for reverse rotation? (for twin drives)

TRUCKPULL
10-23-2015, 12:31 PM
can't you easily just flip a flex cable that is layed in either direction,

NO you can't just flip it end for end. It must be made specially for reverse rotation.

Larry

dmitry100
10-23-2015, 12:38 PM
longballlumber: Do you know if he makes the reverse rotation flex?

longballlumber
10-23-2015, 01:20 PM
longballlumber: Do you know if he makes the reverse rotation flex?

There isn't any listed on the website, but he might make some. You will need to ask him.

http://jercproducts.com/contact-us.html

jfrancisco892
10-23-2015, 01:41 PM
If he makes the shafts I can't imagine that would be an issue. Just solder the prop shaft to the other end. Or is there something I am overlooking?

martin
10-23-2015, 02:49 PM
If he makes the shafts I can't imagine that would be an issue. Just solder the prop shaft to the other end. Or is there something I am overlooking?
It dosnt matter which end you solder the stub you end up with the same rotation flex, you need a reverse wound flex.

dmitry100
10-25-2015, 02:01 AM
What would you guys recommend in terms of teflon for 3/16 flex ? The Octura stuff I'm using seems kind of crappy...

HOTWATER
10-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Tim has gone to great lengths to duplicate the Hughey shafts and has done a great job. I will be getting my flex cables from him now that the hughey shaft are no longer available.

http://jercproducts.com/

Later,
Ball

Yup...+1 ...Tim shafts are as close to Huey's as you will find. Great guy to buy from...very fast shipping!

-Kent

HOTWATER
10-25-2015, 11:02 AM
What would you guys recommend in terms of teflon for 3/16 flex ? The Octura stuff I'm using seems kind of crappy...

I run with NO liner...no problems. Consider trying that...

-Kent

ray schrauwen
10-25-2015, 01:59 PM
There isn't any listed on the website, but he might make some. You will need to ask him.

http://jercproducts.com/contact-us.html

He used to sell Hughey cables. It's possible he was taught by Ed or others helping Ed. Ed was going to explain his process to me 10 years ago and I foolishly turned it down. Oh, how I regret hoping he would go on forever. He was really cool to talk to.

longballlumber
10-25-2015, 02:25 PM
He used to sell Hughey cables. It's possible he was taught by Ed or others helping Ed. Ed was going to explain his process to me 10 years ago and I foolishly turned it down. Oh, how I regret hoping he would go on forever. He was really cool to talk to.

I am not exactly sure what transpired between Tim and Ed. Only Tim can tell the story with any validity.

If Ed offer to tell you; you missed an opportunity. The conversations that I've had with others is that Ed wasn't willing to give away that information. Why you were different; I am not sure. Ed and his brother Dee were great innovators for the RC Boat hobby. They were doing some incredible things in Nitro racing before Ed started racing FE.

Later,
Ball

TRUCKPULL
10-25-2015, 10:57 PM
I have still got one of Dee Hughey's props, It is a 40mm, B/S, DT, with some cup.
It is even inscribed on the side and the back of the hub - HEW Custom -
He lent me this prop way back at the NAT's in MI. then told me to keep it because it worked so well on my boat at the time.

Larry

dmitry100
10-25-2015, 11:25 PM
Whats so special about the Hughey flex cables though? Wouldn't flex like the one from OSE perform just as well?

longballlumber
10-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Whats so special about the Hughey flex cables though? Wouldn't flex like the one from OSE perform just as well?

IMO there are a few of things that I notice…

#1 is the flex material – I am not sure who was supplying Ed with flex, but it seems to be a very strong cable. I have yet to have a Hughey flex fail in any way, shape, or form. The flex he was using was a different color than most bulk flex that I have seen.

#2 is the process of braising to keep the cable concentric to the stub. There is minimal runout between the flex cable and the stub shaft.

Lastly was the quality of work

Later,
Ball

dmitry100
10-26-2015, 01:04 PM
I just asked him if he carries the reverse and he says he has only sold 3 in the past 2 years.

:(

OSE should probably start carrying his stuff if its really that good...

high-tech
10-26-2015, 01:32 PM
iridebikes: Do you sand down the OSE stuff? Or is sanding not needed for this type of flex -- with larger diameter wire strands?

It seems like I'm creating more contact area-- which would generate more resistance by sanding such a flex cable. Perhaps it would only somewhat benefit from just lightly polishing it?

I do sand the coating off whein I use retainer but if I'm soldering the flux takes the coating right off instantly