PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boat Recommendations

rickwess
10-17-2015, 04:04 PM
I'm already starting to think about my winter builds. Fitting as it's -1C and snowing as I type.

For sure I'm going to start in on the 55" Dumas Scarab. I'm a little worried that I'm biting off more than I can chew but they is really only one way to tell for sure.

I'd also like to build a jet boat. I've seen what Mickie Beez has, but it doesn't seem like he's doing much on it right now. I've also seen the KMB (https://www.kehrer-modellbau.de/en/cat/index/sCategory/38) drives and they look decent. I fell in love with the CNC's version that Hobbyking had (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__13388__CNC_Precision_Jet_Boat_Drive_X_Large.html ) but the size and price aren't realistic. What other good options are there?

In terms of the hull, KBM has a hull designed specifically for jets. Any others?

Please show me your jets.

srislash
10-18-2015, 08:43 AM
What size hull are you thinking Rick. I have a little NQD and it is a good little creek boat.
https://www.google.ca/search?site=&source=hp&ei=lZMjVqiNCIvgoAShna-4Bw&q=rc+jet+boat&oq=rc+jet+boat&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..0j0i7i30j0j0i7i30l2.2854.14868.0.21017.13.12 .1.4.4.0.296.2335.1j2j8.11.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..1.12.1577.3.vU8I7hqxQ6M

rickwess
10-18-2015, 09:07 AM
I was thinking something in the 26" range. I see that KMB has one specifically designed for their pump.

I was looking at the NQD but fiqured I'd be replacing the motor and ESC anyway so why not start from scratch.

Has anyone seen or touched the KMB boat and pump? I see them on eBay as well. Junk?

srislash
10-18-2015, 12:11 PM
A couple of the local guys have put those KMB pumps in the NQD's. Sure makes them rip.

rickwess
10-18-2015, 12:31 PM
I've read of few upgrade threads on the NQD's. Those who upgrade seem to replace everything but the hull.....LOL. It's a 17" hull, correct?

srislash
10-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Yup, just a little guy

RunningBeer
10-19-2015, 04:27 AM
Hi, I have built a KMB jet sprint hull with the 28mm pump. I had it running on a 5s set up with the old brushed motor they sell for the 28mm drive. It was a fun boat and it accelerated well but I could never get it to stop 'unhooking' on sharp corners or when it hit the slightest rough bit of water. I tried different weights, C.O.G. etc in the boat, but couldn't make it good (that may be my fault as much as anyone else!). later on I put a 32mm pump in it but to no avail. A fun project but I de-comissioned it when I built my Swashdrive jet. There are some pics. of that boat on my page if you are interested. R.B.

mickieb49
10-27-2015, 06:25 AM
I'd also like to build a jet boat. I've seen what Mickie Beez has, but it doesn't seem like he's doing much on it right now

That is where you are wrong mate, I have been busy putting out a new hull, steve at OSE will have the first 6 in store very soon, progress on the Marathon hull is next, testing has completed and the results are spot on, final molds are underway, and will be releasing this hull late this year. Also have been building a vacuum former and there will be ABS versions of the hulls available soon.
As for the second stage for the jet, I plan on getting back to that early in the new year.
Regards Mick

rickwess
10-27-2015, 10:34 AM
That is where you are wrong mate, I have been busy putting out a new hull, steve at OSE will have the first 6 in store very soon, progress on the Marathon hull is next, testing has completed and the results are spot on, final molds are underway, and will be releasing this hull late this year. Also have been building a vacuum former and there will be ABS versions of the hulls available soon.
As for the second stage for the jet, I plan on getting back to that early in the new year.Regards Mick
I love it when I'm wrong. What's the new hull? Pics?

When they are up from sale here, someone please ping me.

RandyatBBY
10-27-2015, 10:48 AM
Mickie's Jet works great. I have been thinking about getting one for my runner bottom. I sold the ones I had. I have never seen a faster jet. Did you fix the weakness in the rings Mickie? Not meaning to cause any one any fear Mickey stands behind his work. I am just asking because I broke one while learing about the jet assembly and installing it in a boat. He replaced it for free.

RunningBeer
10-28-2015, 09:20 AM
..you've probably all seen this the last time I put it up, but here's a bit of a run with my swashdrive jet. Top speed GPS 65 Km/ph. I think that's just over 40 mph. RB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epTeFouvsdk

mickieb49
10-30-2015, 04:44 AM
Mickie's Jet works great. I have been thinking about getting one for my runner bottom. I sold the ones I had. I have never seen a faster jet. Did you fix the weakness in the rings Mickie? Not meaning to cause any one any fear Mickey stands behind his work. I am just asking because I broke one while learing about the jet assembly and installing it in a boat. He replaced it for free.

Thanks for the kind words randy, I haven't changed them yet, the intent of that weak part was to position the wear ring in place untill the part is glued , after that it really doesn't do much at all.
Been putting all my time into trying to get the new hull mold done, mold the marathon hull, build the vacuum former, design the second stage add on.
Unfortunately it all takes time, something I don't seem to have much of now days.
Regards mick