PDA

View Full Version : Proboat BlackJack 29 prop shaft/ strut making noise? HELP

ChevyPrerunner
10-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Hey guys,

I picked up a new upgrade Flex Shaft and new stock strut assembly for my PB Blackjack 29 Ver2. I assembled everything and after tightening the coupler and leaving a 1/8" gap at the drive dog and strut there is resistance and noise coming from the strut / prop shaft. I have never replaced these on this boat and wanted to check with you guys if this is normal or if the bushings need to break in around the prop shaft??

I have double checked everything and everything else looks good/straight. It is for sure the prop shaft and front bushing in the new strut causing binding, please help me out here guys.

Thanks!!

ChevyPrerunner

Darin Jordan
10-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Silly question, but are you lubing it well?

The stock strut on these boats doesn't have the greatest bushings in it. You might want to order the replacement piece from OSE.com. It's MUCH better, with real lead-teflon bushings. Worth every penny.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-1390

ChevyPrerunner
10-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Hey Darin,

Thanks for the fast reply! I did run plenty of grease in the entire stuffing tube and new strut assembly a few times in then out and again. I wish i would have got the OSE Upgrade Strut but i just picked up a new stocker from my LHS Race Prep.

I just tried to run it at low speed on my bench to see if maybe it would break free / break in the bushing and the front of the strut "Cone" got hot quick! I took it apart and checked for scaring/ marks on the prop shaft and i don't see anything, no marking or scratching. There is still some resistance and a grinding noise coming from the strut area while turning the flex by hand.

Darin Jordan
10-08-2015, 02:41 PM
It sounds like the teflon may be spinning? NOTHING should be getting hot.

Also, make sure that the propshaft (likely longer?) isn't protruding too far forward and contacted the teflon liner. That'll heat up really quickly.

ChevyPrerunner
10-08-2015, 02:45 PM
I can't really see inside the front (Cone) of the strut with the flex inside to see if its spinning or not.

The Prop Shaft ends inside the strut before it connects to the stuffing tube far away from the teflon liner.