PDA

View Full Version : Prop Rake angle

ezhitz
10-06-2015, 12:35 AM
How does the rake angle 10 degree versus 17 degree effect the prop. I have been running a H7 on my 21fe jae and was thinking on trying a cleaver style if they would work. I'm running a TP 4050 motor 2200kv 4S was looking for something just for speed passes.

dasboata
10-06-2015, 07:32 AM
The higher the rake angle the less transom lift you will get,,,

kfxguy
10-06-2015, 08:59 AM
The higher rake angle will give you more bow lift however....and they are usually a faster prop if you compare to a very similar lower rake angle. This has been my personal experience.

kfxguy
10-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Tran an abc 1515,1615 or 1715. They work good on my rigger.

dasboata
10-06-2015, 09:58 AM
to me it goes without saying if the transom is not raising and pushing the bow in,, it is letting it raise ! so the 1st reaction to a hi raked prop is not raising the transom enough said !

kfxguy
10-06-2015, 10:19 AM
to me it goes without saying if the transom is not raising and pushing the bow in,, it is letting it raise ! so the 1st reaction to a hi raked prop is not raising the transom enough said !

You and I know this, but you have to consider if someone totally inexperienced knows this, I just didn't want to assume. The more info, the better :)

Example. I ran my twin cat this weekend. X442 props. Glued to the water. These have maybe an 8 degree to 10 degree rake at most (I'm just guessing) and then I swapped to 17 degree rake abc props and boy did the nose come up. Was a big difference.

dasboata
10-06-2015, 10:41 AM
You and I know this, but you have to consider if someone totally inexperienced knows this, I just didn't want to assume. The more info, the better :)

Example. I ran my twin bat this weekend. X442 props. Glued to the water. These have maybe an 8 degree to 10 degree rake at most (I'm just guessing) and then I swapped to 15 degree rake abc props and boy did the nose come up. Was a big difference.

I do have a habit of talking on the puter in short hand LOL

785boats
10-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Perhaps these images help.

Fluid
10-06-2015, 05:55 PM
While "bow lift" is how full-scale props are described, not so with models. High lift means transom lift, it's been that way for decades going back to Tom P at Octura. Right or wrong, to bring in the term "bow lift" with model props now just confuses folks and is best forgotten.

Darin Jordan
10-06-2015, 11:21 PM
While "bow lift" is how full-scale props are described, not so with models. High lift means transom lift, it's been that way for decades going back to Tom P at Octura. Right or wrong, to bring in the term "bow lift" with model props now just confuses folks and is best forgotten.

Well stated. I've seen this wording used here frequently lately, and wanted to say something. Thanks for clarifying this.

keithbradley
10-06-2015, 11:37 PM

Example. I ran my twin cat this weekend. X442 props. Glued to the water. These have maybe an 8 degree to 10 degree rake at most (I'm just guessing) and then I swapped to 17 degree rake abc props and boy did the nose come up. Was a big difference.

I'll agree with Jay and Darin here. What you refer to as "bow lift" is actually a lack of lift. Your twin cat example is a good one to note. Reverse direction of the props and watch how it changes the lift characteristics of the boat. This will change whether you see the bow or transom lift in your run, but to what degree will be relative to the overall amount of prop lift.

modvp55
10-07-2015, 12:12 AM
One thing not mentioned is trim angle effect. If one is running a low rake prop with positive trim to carry the bow it will actually push the stern down and a high rake trimmed negative to hold bow down will actually create some tail lift. Basically wanted to point out props are best when run neutral as they are designed and meant to run. Real boats with power trim you can feel this happen as angles are changed.

dasboata
10-07-2015, 09:17 AM

Really everyone was under this same impression that when lift was talked about,, it meant bow lift !! The older boats used straight steel shaft and were not designed for flex shafts there for needing stern lift to keep there ride level !

kfxguy
10-07-2015, 09:28 AM
I'll agree with Jay and Darin here. What you refer to as "bow lift" is actually a lack of lift. Your twin cat example is a good one to note. Reverse direction of the props and watch how it changes the lift characteristics of the boat. This will change whether you see the bow or transom lift in your run, but to what degree will be relative to the overall amount of prop lift.

Whatever you say.....

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/64D62351-F8D7-4075-9986-C50B947CD4F4.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/64D62351-F8D7-4075-9986-C50B947CD4F4.jpg.html)

Darin Jordan
10-07-2015, 09:40 AM
Whatever you say.....

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/64D62351-F8D7-4075-9986-C50B947CD4F4.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/64D62351-F8D7-4075-9986-C50B947CD4F4.jpg.html)

WHY do you think it's "holding the bow higher in the air"?? Think about it.

kfxguy
10-07-2015, 09:53 AM
WHY do you think it's "holding the bow higher in the air"?? Think about it.

Because the prop has more bow lift. I won't argue the fact that it may be pushing the stern down because there has to be a pivot point but there is bow lift. Call it whatever you like. Here's a couple videos to back what I'm saying up.

This is 442 props with hardly any rake.

http://youtu.be/UUVV6dQbLbw

kfxguy
10-07-2015, 09:55 AM
And no changes at all except to 17 degree rake abc props. You can clearly see here the nose (bow) of the boat is clearly being lifted higher. This is the same battery packs too. Brought boat in and swapped props is all I did.

http://youtu.be/02T9sihcapc

Darin Jordan
10-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Because the prop has more bow lift.

The prop is on the back of the boat. It's not capable of providing lift to the bow. Changing thrust angle I suppose can. Increasing the AoA of the hull bottom can. More speed, which puts more air under the bow can. The prop doesn't.

And it doesn't "push the stern down". It either lifts, or doesn't lift. If it doesn't lift, then the stern settles deeper, which in turn raises the bow.

You can believe what you will, but a correct understanding of the dynamics of exactly what is happening will one day help you advance your RC programs...

Nice videos.

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 11:06 AM
TO raise the bow, the thrust line of the propeller must project forward and be below the boat's center of gravity. Also, the deeper the propeller runs in the water, the farther below the boat's center of gravity it will be. Therefore, its thrust will have more leverage to raise the bow.

It may be that these "bow lifting" propellers actually accomplish this because they tend to remain deeper in the water when running at high speed. That is, they do not tend to lift themselves up toward the water surface until they break out or ventilate. Because they run slightly deeper, the thrust they produce has a longer arm on the boat's center of gravity, and therefore it can raise the bow more.

Hence Travis is correct

kfxguy
10-07-2015, 11:09 AM
The prop is on the back of the boat. It's not capable of providing lift to the bow. Changing thrust angle I suppose can. Increasing the AoA of the hull bottom can. More speed, which puts more air under the bow can. The prop doesn't.

And it doesn't "push the stern down". It either lifts, or doesn't lift. If it doesn't lift, then the stern settles deeper, which in turn raises the bow.

You can believe what you will, but a correct understanding of the dynamics of exactly what is happening will one day help you advance your RC programs...

Nice videos.

If I was good at drawing I'd draw it out for you so you can see what I mean. I'll try to give you an example and put it in words as best I can so you can see where I'm coming from. I'll also reiterate that I'm calling it bow lift (because really it is anyway) just to make things less complicated for the newbs reading this thread. So..imagine this in your head...grab a garden hose with an adjustable nozzle. Set it to fan where it spreads the water in a great area. There's not much push, right? Well look at the rooster tail on a low rake angle prop. It's a wide and tall roost. The let's tighten the nozzle up to where the water spray is tighter. Same thing a higher rake does. You can feel it pushing more straight now. Well a higher rake concentrates that power cone and makes the spray angle tighter in turn pushing in a straighter angle on the boat causing the nose to rise more while essentially pivoting the rearmost bottom of the boat on the water. I don't know how else to explain it. You (whomever it may concern) can pick apart my example and my explanation all you like, but I just posted two back to back video within five minutes of each other illustrating what I mean by the bow being lifted. Not quite sure why some people find it imperative to correct someone when they aren't wrong.

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 11:13 AM
and to further support Travis,
Propellers which are not "bow lifting" thus tend to be "stern lifting." What is meant by this is the propeller tends to walk itself upward in the water until it reaches an equilibrium, and it runs near the surface of the water. As a result, its thrust line is nearer to the boat's center of gravity, and therefore the lever arm is shorter. So the tendency to raise the bow is not as great. In fact, the tendency is to raise the stern slightly, so these propellers are known as "stern lifting" propellers.

An extreme example of a stern lifting propeller is the cleaver type, which tends to push itself up and out of the water until it runs with only that portion of the blades below the propeller shaft actually in the water.

dasboata
10-07-2015, 11:49 AM
another thing that needs to be considered in Bow lift,, is prop depth in the water, ( i know about strut angle I am not talking about that now ) a lower prop in the water will push your bow down, and a higher prop in the water will not,, think of it as a seesaw BETWEEN THE BOW AND TRANSOM

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 12:03 PM
well said dasboata. I find the 1815 and 1915 on my mono and cat can be run lower with a neutral strut angle. I get the best of both worlds. my bow is where it needs to be and performance is exceptiona not to mention the load. Probably why an 1815 (17degree) rake is about 10mph faster than a M645. Some of the debate above can probably be deduced to semantics amd or chicken or the egg. (do trim tabs on a fishing boat lower the bow when they are trimmed down? or is it the transom lift resulting from the trim tabs lowering the bow).

kfxguy
10-07-2015, 12:08 PM
another thing that needs to be considered in Bow lift,, is prop depth in the water, ( i know about strut angle I am not talking about that now ) a lower prop in the water will push your bow down, and a higher prop in the water will not,, think of it as a seesaw BETWEEN THE BOW AND TRANSOM

^^^^^ this guy knows props more than all of us combined so I'd take his word before I'd take anyone else's.

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 12:27 PM
If I run say a 1815 in same posistion as a M645 my boats will blowover at a lower speed. In conclusion, if a 17 degree rake prop has to be set at more of a neutral posistion and a lower strut posistion to avoid excessive bow angle and blow overs. it would be fair to say a 17 degree rake ABC in the same posiston as the M645 the bow is lifted more regardless. Dasboata made seesaw anology. Is the lighter kid on the seesaw in the air because he is lighter or is the heavier kid on the ground because he is heavier?

keithbradley
10-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Whatever you say.....

I'm not quite sure how this is a response to what I posted...
I won't argue it. Keep boating, you WILL understand exactly what I'm talking about at some point.

keithbradley
10-07-2015, 12:29 PM
TO raise the bow, the thrust line of the propeller must project forward and be below the boat's center of gravity. Also, the deeper the propeller runs in the water, the farther below the boat's center of gravity it will be. Therefore, its thrust will have more leverage to raise the bow.

It may be that these "bow lifting" propellers actually accomplish this because they tend to remain deeper in the water when running at high speed. That is, they do not tend to lift themselves up toward the water surface until they break out or ventilate. Because they run slightly deeper, the thrust they produce has a longer arm on the boat's center of gravity, and therefore it can raise the bow more.

Hence Travis is correct

This is so wrong...

Darin Jordan
10-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Whatever...

keithbradley
10-07-2015, 12:58 PM
Unfortunate that the most useful post in this thread was deleted.
OP, it would be worth sending a PM to Brian if you didn't catch his post.

Darin Jordan
10-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Unfortunate that the most useful post in this thread was deleted.
OP, it would be worth sending a PM to Brian if you didn't catch his post.

Keith, no, they shouldn't. Everything I know about props I learned from Brian, so he's completely wrong as well... :glare:

Guess all those 18-hour drives back and forth to the LA SAWs were all a waste. I could have gotten it all resolved right here. :olleyes:

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 01:08 PM
so how can one run a 17degree rake prop with same diameter with much lower strut (than say an 8 degree) and the hull rides the same at some point.

dasboata
10-07-2015, 01:12 PM
so how can one run a 17degree rake prop with same diameter with much lower strut (than say an 8 degree) and the hull rides the same at some point.

Simply because the 17* is not causing the transom to lift,, there for raising your bow,, when you lower the strut it is putting the bow back in the water because the prop is lower in the water pushing the bow in !

keithbradley
10-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Simply because the 17* is not causing the transom to lift,, there for raising your bow,, when you lower the strut it is putting the bow back in the water because the prop is lower in the water pushing the bow in !

^^^This^^^
The vector that causes the bow to "lift" is there either way. Running a lifting prop (which means lift at the transom as Jay said), counter-acts it by lifting at the transom.
Adding pitch always creates more lift, which sucks for us twin cat guys. The higher rake in the ABC props mentioned counter-acts the higher pitch.
Some boats (riggers, hydros) may need the extra lift. For others it will at least result in a drastic drive position or angle change.

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 01:31 PM
My brother does set ups on some serious turbine boats. I wanted his take on this debate. He forwarded this to me.
from Mercury Racing. Keith it's time to go to prop school. http://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-school-part-3-blade-rake/

keithbradley
10-07-2015, 01:34 PM
My brother does set ups on some serious turbine boats. I wanted his take on this debate. He forwarded this to me.
from Mercury Racing. Keith it's time to go to prop school. http://www.mercuryracing.com/prop-school-part-3-blade-rake/

Oh please do get him in this thread.

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 01:39 PM
he also forwarded this to me from jeff johnston of herring propellers.

"Rake comes into play as Johnson helps his clients fine-tune their propeller choices to their specific boats. All hulls have different running characteristics. Generally speaking, higher rake angle translates to greater bow lift, which can be advantageous for V-bottoms and catamarans that need it. But in high-speed applications such as cats pushing 180 to 190 mph, too much bow lift can create problems. So in that case, Johnston would recommend a propeller with a lower rake angle, which would produce less bow lift than a prop with a higher rake angle.

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 01:40 PM
well i guess mercury racing is wrong and one of the best guys in the prop business.
http://www.boats.com/reviews/boats/propping-for-performance-the-art-of-trade-offs/

keithbradley
10-07-2015, 01:40 PM
I've already added more info to this thread than you know on the subject. I won't argue with someone who knows nothing about what they are talking about. Either learn and reach new highs, or stay where you are and you can continue to claim to have the fastest version of a boat that nobody is trying to go fast with.

For clarification on semantics, see post 9.

kfxguy
10-07-2015, 01:52 PM
^^^This^^^
The vector that causes the bow to "lift" is there either way. Running a lifting prop (which means lift at the transom as Jay said), counter-acts it by lifting at the transom.
Adding pitch always creates more lift, which sucks for us twin cat guys. The higher rake in the ABC props mentioned counter-acts the higher pitch.
Some boats (riggers, hydros) may need the extra lift. For others it will at least result in a drastic drive position or angle change.

Look, I'm not concerned with what you think or think you know or what you want to call it. The fact of the matter is very simple.....if you change nothing but props to one(s) with a higher rake angle, the bow will be lifted. I could give two ***** why or how it's lifted or if the transom or stern is pushed down. If you feel compelled to try an over complicate things (as usual for some people) then so be it. I choose to try and explain things in a simple manner so the inexperienced guys can take something from this too. I feel no need to flex my internet muscles and try to make myself "seem" smart. What disappoints me here is there's some guys "in the know" here that are disagreeing with facts that's I've proved. Also how can you debate mercury racing and jeff johnston's identical take on the subject. millions of R&D are behind there claims. is it really up for debate or does God need to post his opinion

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 02:02 PM
Keith,
Everytime someone puts it in your eye with supporting facts you respond with pot shots. can you kindly answer the following questions so we can put this bed.
1. do you disagree with Mercury Racing and Jeff Johnston's articles on rake angle and bow lift?
2 Keith all things remaining equal. Does higher rake angle result in bow being lifted or not?

dasboata
10-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Look, I'm not concerned with what you think or think you know or what you want to call it. The fact of the matter is very simple.....if you change nothing but props to one(s) with a higher rake angle, the bow will be lifted. I could give two ***** why or how it's lifted or if the transom or stern is pushed down. If you feel compelled to try an over complicate things (as usual for some people) then so be it. I choose to try and explain things in a simple manner so the inexperienced guys can take something from this too. I feel no need to flex my internet muscles and try to make myself "seem" smart. What disappoints me here is there's some guys "in the know" here that are disagreeing with facts that's I've proved. Also how can you debate mercury racing and jeff johnston's identical take on the subject. millions of R&D are behind there claims. is it really up for debate or does God need to post his opinion

Pretty sure the article is saying the same thing we are,,, without mentioning why the bow is being lifted ( besides packing more air under the hull) we are only saying the bow is lifting because the transom is not being lifted by a lower raked prop whats the problem ?

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 02:15 PM
well i would agree with you but with early testing with 1815 and M645 i had blow overs at lower speeds with 1815 verses M645 with strut in same position

Darin Jordan
10-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Pretty sure the article is saying the same thing we are,,, without mentioning why the bow is being lifted ( besides packing more air under the hull) we are only saying the bow is lifting because the transom is not being lifted by a lower raked prop

Exactly. We are saying WHY the affects are happening, which is important to understand if you really want to make your boats perform.

dasboata
10-07-2015, 02:23 PM
well i would agree with you but with early testing with 1815 and M645 i had blow overs at lower speeds with 1815 verses M645 with strut in same position

see post 33 I am beating a dead horse

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Really? Neither kfguy or myself were asking why it was happening because we already knew. We were clearly debating the fact certain people were saying we were wrong. Jesus, the arrogance on this forum everytime the wolf pack gets together

Darin Jordan
10-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Really? Neither kfguy or myself were asking why it was happening because we already knew. We were clearly debating the fact certain people were saying we were wrong. Jesus, the arrogance on this forum everytime the wolf pack gets together

So let me get this straight. Jay and I and Dasboata (and Brian, for a moment) chime in and state the actual PHYSICAL, actual, FACTUAL dynamic affects that are occurring, KFXGUY and you ARGUE against it, calling us wrong, not "giving a F*******" about the actual dynamics of what's happening (only the result), we further clarify our point, YOU call us "arrogant" and "know-it-all's" and WE'RE the ones being arrogant?

Tune your boat however you want. It's clear that what you know is "proven fact", so go with it. You have the video to prove it...

I'll choose to take advantage of the knowledge of those who have PROVEN TRACK RECORDS of performance to help guide my setups. You know, more than just ordering and bolting on the next best prop.

Have a great day.

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Unless Dasboata is blowing smoke over email he didn't disagree with us. why dont we ask him?
Dasboata are we wrong?

kfxguy
10-07-2015, 04:28 PM
So let me get this straight. Jay and I and Dasboata (and Brian, for a moment) chime in and state the actual PHYSICAL, actual, FACTUAL dynamic affects that are occurring, KFXGUY and you ARGUE against it, calling us wrong, not "giving a F*******" about the actual dynamics of what's happening (only the result), we further clarify our point, YOU call us "arrogant" and "know-it-all's" and WE'RE the ones being arrogant?

Tune your boat however you want. It's clear that what you know is "proven fact", so go with it. You have the video to prove it...

I'll choose to take advantage of the knowledge of those who have PROVEN TRACK RECORDS of performance to help guide my setups. You know, more than just ordering and bolting on the next best prop.

Have a great day.

And you'll stay at sub 50mph speeds with your twin cheetah and the rest of your "fast" boats. Maybe if you take the time to find the proper prop for a given boat instead of doing all this unnecessary modding to it, you'll go faster and you won't be heartbroken so much when you lose a prop. This is the reason we have a cheetah doing 90mph with just a s/b prop and also a rtr Genesis doing 95+ with a s/b prop. I've seen nothing special from you come out of your stable. You try to pick apart any answers I get and try to make me look bad. I get it. There's some guys here that feel threatened. Truth of the matter is I don't care about your records or anyone else's, besides some records held are just a first attempt and no one else cared enough to try and beat it. You have a great day too!

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 04:31 PM
You have to be kidding me. a guy with a 50mph Cheetah is lecturing me. My god, you must be running plastic props to try and figure it out?

Darin Jordan
10-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Really guys? Are you really THAT insecure? I don't think I need to quote my "qualifications" to you guys. You're the experts, you'll figure it out.

Darin Jordan
10-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Darin do you have any boats that go over 80

What does this have to do with anything?? Would you like me to go home and throw some power into my Cheetah? KFXGUY tells me he can help me make is "fast"... Would that count?

In an "open" format, speed is relative, and frankly, doesn't really matter to me.

None of that has anything to do with my knowledge of how a prop works.

kfxguy
10-07-2015, 05:13 PM
What does this have to do with anything?? Would you like me to go home and throw some power into my Cheetah? KFXGUY tells me he can help me make is "fast"... Would that count?

In an "open" format, speed is relative, and frankly, doesn't really matter to me.

None of that has anything to do with my knowledge of how a prop works.

Let's do this, cut the bs and stop arguing. Quite frankly it's getting old. Darin I'm not sure what your vendetta is against me, but you need to grow up and get over it. I pmed you in the past to try and figure it out and you ignored me. Real mature. You wanna sort this out privately I'll be glad to. It's getting old. I come here to enjoy myself and help people. I felt 100% confident in my answer to the original question and I still stick by it. I didn't know that any time you answer a question and it's a general question for that matter, than one is not allowed on here to give a general but accurate answer. I wasn't aware that I had to be so specific in every answer. If that's the case all we will do is confuse other people unnecessarily. Let's cut the crap. The short answer is this:

Lower rake is less bow lift
Higher rake is more bow lift.

More bow lift and you have more transom drop. And the opposite for less rake.

This depends on hull too but I'm not trying to over complicate things. Do you guys agree or not? Is this not a good enough answer?

Fluid
10-07-2015, 05:59 PM
The biggest issue here is the use of the term "bow lift". It has never been a term used with FE boats, "prop lift" has always meant how the prop holds up the transom. OSE members are used to this term, it has been standard for a very long time, but now some guy comes along and decides that we have to use the term "bow lift".

Props are difficult for most boaters to understand as it is, especially newer boaters. This forum has become a great resource for the FE community. Suddenly changing the terminology does nothing positive and should be stopped.

But don't listen to me, I just wrote the book on FE boats....... :olleyes:

Bduncan
10-07-2015, 06:04 PM
Fluid,
well said. I offered that as a solution early.

raptor347
10-07-2015, 06:05 PM
I'll make a couple statements and pose a question here.

1. The articles that have been posted are in reference to submerged propellers generally found on heavy, full size mono-hulls with power trim. The error in applying the graphic with the thrust vector arrows to modern model boats (FSR-V being an exception) is that at least half of the hardware in that diagram is completely out of the water on our models. Several of those vector arrows simply don't exist in our application.

2. The only full size boat propeller tech that applies to models as we run them are the hydroplanes and to a lesser degree offshore cats (pesky power trim). All of them deal with drag loads that make prop dynamics different from what we deal with. You likely won't find the research the big money teams put into props published.

3. I know a few of the guys that do the big race props, bow lift is not a characteristic that comes into conversation. It is always the characteristic of the prop at the interface with the water. The terminology for model boat propellers is pretty well established and understood, why do we need to change it?

Chrissharp
10-07-2015, 06:58 PM
I believe a lot of people have cluttered this thread with personal thoughts which is sad-but with that please realize I have never ran this prop nor this boat. A 10 degree to 17 degree rake will produce a different thrust cone coming off the prop. The 17 will be much narrower than the 10 by doing so it will reduce the amount of lift at the transom because it will be transferring more energy forward. This thrust cone is what allows the prop to be more efficient on some boats. Please remember that the changes positive and negative to the strut will be more pronounced causing the boat to fly. If it were me I would try the prop just to see if you liked it.

rickwess
10-07-2015, 07:06 PM
I certainly hope that no one here thinks that any prop is designed to "dive" deeper into the water and push the transom deeper (therefore lifting the bow). That would be so inefficient if it was even possible. Of course it's to what degree the prop lifts and the effect that has the transom (and the opposite effect at the bow).

dasboata
10-07-2015, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=Bduncan;644699]Unless Dasboata is blowing smoke over email he didn't disagree with us. why dont we ask him?
Dasboata are we wrong?[/QUOT You Know what,,,, those words never came out of my mouth or fingers and keep me out of your BS post 33 was written by a idiot !!!

Darin Jordan
10-07-2015, 07:26 PM
I certainly hope that no one here thinks that any prop is designed to "dive" deeper into the water and push the transom deeper (therefore lifting the bow). That would be so inefficient if it was even possible. Of course it's to what degree the prop lifts and the effect that has on transom (and the opposite effect at the bow).

I assure you that I certainly don't believe that. :biggrin:

keithbradley
10-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Look, I'm not concerned with what you think or think you know or what you want to call it.
That's fine Travis, but this thread isn't about YOU, or what YOU are concerned with (well at least it wasn't, but you've clearly tried to make it that way).

I choose to try and explain things in a simple manner so the inexperienced guys can take something from this too.
Please. You "chose" to explain this to your full capacity, and when you realized you didn't understand it completely, you tried to argue to save face instead of just learn something. Nothing new here from you.
If you were just trying to make it easy for inexperienced guys, the last thing you would do is start this confusing dialogue about prop "lift" at the bow. What happens when someone reads this and then decides to order a "lifting" or "lifter" prop because they want to raise the bow of the boat? Would you consider your posts helpful to that person?

I feel no need to flex my internet muscles and try to make myself "seem" smart.
If that were true you wouldn't be arguing with people who actually do understand prop lift and did so BEFORE you and Brandon went on your Google searches. Sorry to be condescending, but if you did understand it you wouldn't have argued in the first place.

Also how can you debate mercury racing and jeff johnston's identical take on the subject. millions of R&D are behind there claims.
I'm not sure how to answer "How" I can debate, because I don't have to. I'm not going to read everything you guys find on a google search, but I'm 100% sure that there is no disagreement between myself and Mercury, or any other powerboat company for that matter. I have a number of customers who own and race real, world-class offshore boats Travis. When I build them boats, they don't tell me how to make them run well or what props to use, they ASK me. Likewise I would never tell them how to trim a 50ft cat, or what props they should run on their boats, because I wouldn't be qualified to do so.

This is getting pretty old. You and Brandon pretend that you know things you don't know to try and look knowledgeable, and then point the finger at anyone who disagrees with your nonsense. You play the victim quite a bit for someone who continually gets into arguments with people like Darin, Jay, and others who are much more knowledgeable in these subjects.

monojeff
10-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Guys this thread has gotten way off topic.
Pull the reigns and settle down.
Go build some boats and tweak some props/setups.
Let them do the talking and stop typing please.

keithbradley
10-07-2015, 08:15 PM
I don't know if this will stay here or not, but kudos to whoever is moderating this thread. There is still a lot of good info here for someone looking for it...if you read between the lines. Even a couple people that will never admit it probably learned a thing or two.

monojeff
10-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Agreed Keith it's sad it goes this far to pull out some good info from guys.
Things just get way out of hand.
As far as cleaning this thread. Ha ha I throw my hands up at the moment and say help!

Doug Smock
10-07-2015, 08:57 PM
I throw my hands up at the moment and say help!

Help has arrived! :wink:

Wow! Seriously fellas?

I'll do some more cleaning when time permits.:olleyes:

Diegoboy
10-08-2015, 01:08 AM
Bduncan, You've been warned and Banned for your behavior. IT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED on this Forum.