PDA

View Full Version : How to apply a Mono Jeff Cheetah windshield decal??

ray schrauwen
10-03-2015, 02:21 PM
I have a Cheetah windshield decal I bought from a member in the swap shop and now that paint has had at least a week to cure I want to apply the windshield decal.
I could just strip it off its backing and try to get it on right but, there is another method with Windex or something else?

I don't have any Windex so, what else can be used to place the decal on so I can position it correctly?

photohoward1
10-03-2015, 02:27 PM
I don't think jeff uses the Windex type material. It should be sticky so just apply it. Email Monojeff he will help out....

Fluid
10-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Mine was easy to install. First, buy a da*n bottle of Windex. Wet the hatch with Windex, just mist it on. Peel off the backing and position the decal where you want it. If it is not to your liking peel it up and reposition. Once it is perfect, squeeze out the excess Windex with a balsa squeegee (or similar soft material) and smooth out any wrinkles with your fingers. Any small wrinkles will disappear once you use a hair dryer to shrink the decal. Don't get it too hot!

ray schrauwen
10-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Thank you Fluid and Howard. I will email Jeff too so I don't mess anything up with 'shrinking' the windshield. I had no idea that was part of the process but the decal seems large.

I'll buy some Windex, :-P

flraptor07
10-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Ray I do all my decals with a dozen or so drops of dish soap in a squirt bottle of water. Spray back side of decal and the area you're putting it on, then position it and squeegee it out.

photohoward1
10-04-2015, 05:09 PM
I like the dish soap idea. I have used it but didn't know you could always do that. It would be better and easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ray schrauwen
10-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Cool, thanks!

monojeff
10-06-2015, 02:41 AM
Hey guys lets clear they air hear some for others to learn.
The "wet" apply method is mainly meant for solid color or non air egress materials.
You can tell if it is this type by peeling back some of the vinyl to see if it has a pattern on the back of it.
If it does then it is air egress and does not require water or anything to help get the air out without bubbles.
Simply apply from the inside and work your way out or work from one side to the other going up and down or side to side to apply it.
It will work out all the bubbles as you go if it doesn't or if something foes wrong like a crease you can peel the material back and then start again.
It will not fully set for about 24-48 hrs or until you heat set it.
If you use water/soap with this type of material it can get caught in the channels and will make it difficult for it to stick.
Regular solid color vinyl or non egress vinyls can usually be applied with some soap and water. Take a look at you tube wet apply vinyl method.
Or vinyl application methods.

As for the Cheetah you should not need to use any heat on this one.
If you peel it off the backer and position your fingers on the sides of the flattest part of the windshield and get it centered. Press down the very middle and work to one side.
Then do the other side. If you realize your off do not continue to apply it peel it back slowly and start over.

One of these days I will make a how to video for some of these.
Never had the time but definitely something I want to do.

Hope this helps!?

ray schrauwen
10-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Thank you Jeff, yes it helps!

ray schrauwen
10-06-2015, 09:19 AM
The backing material says 3M Scotchcal. It's printed with rivets, etc...

ray schrauwen
10-06-2015, 10:05 AM
It is air egress material. Thanks Jeff!

monojeff
10-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Cool deal give it a go and post a pic!

ray schrauwen
10-07-2015, 09:28 PM
As soon as I get time.

ray schrauwen
10-27-2015, 03:34 PM
How can I get these little wrinkles out?

No heat has been applied, just peeled a stuck on.138252

Doby
10-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Nice to see the Cheetah all fixed and painted (minus the foliage) !

Can you remove the decal and try again, or take a sharp xacto knife and simply slice those areas so they lie flat?

monojeff
10-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Give it a kiss of heat then go over it with your fingernail.
Then heat it up really hot let it cool slightly and press down on everything one more time.

monojeff
10-27-2015, 06:36 PM
They are so small heat may not even be needed.
Fingernail might do it without heat provided it doesn't start to actually fold.

ray schrauwen
10-27-2015, 07:54 PM
Thanks John & Jeff

I'll play with a bit of heat. At first it laid down well but in morning it was up. It's minimal.

Might redo one side first.

monojeff
10-28-2015, 01:07 AM
Yes this can happen because it was stretched in these areas the most.
Next time heat set it after you apply it the first time and should hold the corners/stretched areas down.
The heat if it gets hot enough changes the memory of the adhesive and vinyl.

Also in response to what john said.
The longer it sits on the boat the harder it will be to take it off without stretching it when removing.
Usually 24-48 hrs or so it will still come off just not as easy as if you'd done it right away.

You should not need to cut them but this method can be made to work if necessary.

ray schrauwen
10-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Thx!