PDA

View Full Version : throttle signal loss protection not working, potential runaway

Raymond
09-26-2015, 11:36 AM
hello all

i'm running a Seaking 180 V3, and it is supposed to disable the motor in the event of a lost signal from the transmitter. however, when i test that feature, by turning off the transmitter, the motor starts and runs at what seems to be about 1/4 throttle. this happened once at the lake by accident, fortunately the craft had just flipped over and was capsized, and did not run away. i tried resetting the throttle calibration with no change. this can/will make for a very bad day if not corrected. how do i get this thing to shut down if it looses signal?

Jamey
09-28-2015, 02:21 PM
The esc only does what the receiver tells it to do. In other words you need to program the receiver for zero throttle at signal loss. You should just be able to check the radio documentation for instructions on how to do that. Different brands have different steps.

Fluid
09-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Nope, some ESCs will shut themselves down if the signal from the receiver is lost. The Seaking 180 is supposed to do this, but it may take programming the ESC to do so. This controller is supposed to have over-heating protection too, but as many know that does not work so well.

Some receivers also have lost signal protection, in that case the receiver has to be user-set to the desired "lost signal" settings like neutral rudder and zero throttle.

rickwess
09-28-2015, 03:24 PM
I'm having the same issue with a SeaKing 35A in a mini-Eco (using a MR200 receiver). If I sub the boat I lose radio contact and the boat just takes off at full speed. It take upwards of 5secs after the boat has resurfaced before I can regain control. The program card does not have a setting for signal loss.

I have another mini-Eco with a Tenshock ESC (MR200 receiver as well) that doesn't have this problem.

Jamey
09-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Fluid, maybe I am reading your post too literal but the SK180 does power down when signal is lost from the "receiver". No programming needed as far as I can tell. It basically just beeps the motor, dead in the water without receiver power or a connection. Mine did that out of the box.

In the OPs circumstance though it sounds like he lost transmitter to receiver signal I assume. I had his exact issue with a SK180 and fixed it by programming the lost signal setting in my receiver. I could power off the transmitter to simulate a lost signal and my boat would power forward until I did so.

Didn't know some radios didn't have a settable fail safe.

Jamey
09-28-2015, 03:33 PM
So rickwess, what does the one with that problem do when you turn off your transmitter?

rickwess
09-28-2015, 03:38 PM
So rickwess, what does the one with that problem do when you turn off your transmitter?

I have never tried doing that. It's not something I would ever think of, but may try it in the bathtub next time I'm in there. I can only assume that it would exhibit the same symptoms as when it's been sub'ed.

Jamey
09-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Looks like possibly the MR200 actually goes to low throttle (not zero throttle) when signal is lost. I assume that is a good option for engines. Read this on how to set the fail safe -

https://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/SPMMR200-Manual.pdf