PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

Flying Scotsman
09-14-2015, 11:54 AM
I viewed another thread on an issue on OSE issues with ordering and it has some replies on possible start up learning curve issues with Windows 10. I currently use Windows 7 pro and find it OK but not great. Do any members have experience with Windows 10 and if so, pros and cons?
Also, member Dmitry100 suggests upgrading to a SSD (solid state drive) which I found interesting as far as boot times etc.
Thanks in advance for any comments.

Douggie

NativePaul
09-14-2015, 01:21 PM
It is a similar interface to Win7, and doesn't force you into the touchscreen oriented tile menu like Win8 did, so going from 7-10 is an easy step for the user. Both Win8 and Win10 offer a performance boost for power users and gamers over Win7 and when DirectX12 utilisation becomes mainstream Win10 will gain another advantage, Win10 has the best driver and hardware support of any OS I have ever seen, but Win 10 definitely still has bugs, I have reinstalled twice so far and at the moment I cant uninstall any programs so will probably have to reinstall it again, I would recommend most users to wait till the free year is almost finished before upgrading to Win10 in the hopes that most of the bugs will be worked out by then.

An SSD is probably the best performance boost you can give a PC, but 15 second boot times are an exaggeration unless you are using hugely expensive PCIe SSDs, 30 seconds is more normal with reasonably priced SATA3 devices. At the moment even consumer SATA SSDs are still to expensive for most to use for mass storage, for most budgets I would recommend keeping your existing HDD and using it for storage which rarely needs to be fast, but adding a small SSD which you put your OS and frequently used programs on. A SATA3 SSD is about 10 times the speed of a good SATA3 7200rpm HDD, but while the prices are coming down rapidly they are still about 7 times the price per GB compared to a HDD.

JimClark
09-14-2015, 02:07 PM
I have been using Win10 for a while no issues. The upgrade went flawlessly except for something got messed up in the email program my wife uses (thunderbird). Douggie what do you do with your computer?

domwilson
09-14-2015, 03:00 PM
Douggie, You can get ~ 250 gb SSD drives from Newegg and amazon for less than $100.00. Consider some things about Win 10. It is a brilliant marketing tool for Microsoft. Read this... http://www.pcworld.com/article/2957365/windows/why-windows-10-isnt-really-free-the-subtle-new-world-of-built-in-costs.html

I have it installed on a couple of laptops. Works pretty good but can be a little frightening for some new users. But for many users it could be a good experience. But as NativePaul suggested, I would wait a little bit before upgrading if you can.

Flying Scotsman
09-14-2015, 03:01 PM
That is a good question Jim...I am not a gamer, facebooker etc. user I use it mainly for photo storage, photo image processing, streaming and document files. I like some of the features of Windows 10 but I am always leary of new operating systems until at least after the first service pack fix. My computer is about 5/6 years old and was thinking of installing the free upgrade to 10 and if it worked well, I would buy/build a new computer.
Thanks Paul and Dom, also for your inputs.

Douggie

photohoward1
09-14-2015, 03:03 PM
Flawless so far. I upgrade all my drives to SSD drive. I almost never reboot but my programs open in seconds. Quiet too. Some small SSD drive are under 100 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimClark
09-14-2015, 03:08 PM
the SSD would definitely help in Photoshop but not too much for photo storage. I have a USB docking station similar to this, http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS for picture, and video storage. I have two set of of hard drives i update in the docking station and one set in the desktop. I have three copies of my files at all times. One set of drives are supposed to be off site though I have not gotten a good place for the offsite drives yet will probably just stick them in my detached garage.

Flying Scotsman
11-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Well I took the plunge and installed the upgrade to 10. All went well except Google Chrome...I noted prior to this that there were some issues and noted the fixes that were online....After the install from Windows 7 Pro, Chrome would load but web pages/sites would not...tried Google and other noted fixes...installed latest version of Chrome, checked for browser priorities, etc....none worked.... went back to 7...Anyone out there with any suggestions, as I like the 10 features?

Douggie

JimClark
11-17-2015, 11:50 AM
I have had no troubles running Chrome. Did you try uninstalling it completely then read installing Chrome?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

ray schrauwen
11-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Wow, I'm still stuck in Xp.....

I'll start my own thread.

Best of luck Douggie!

Flying Scotsman
11-17-2015, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=JimClark;648468]I have had no troubles running Chrome. Did you try uninstalling it completely then read installing Chrome?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Yes I did Jim and then installed latest version of Chrome

Douggie

JimClark
11-17-2015, 01:21 PM
The only problem I had was that Thunderbird (the email program) gave me big problems until I totally wiped it out including all settings and prefrences so when I reinstalled it asked me about adding accounts then it was fine