PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a 1/10th Classic Hydros Blaster

Steven Vaccaro
09-14-2015, 10:38 AM
I asked Doug about maybe making a Blaster kit, here is a link
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ch-Blaster

but in a 1/10th size.

He said it would be about 33.5 with width of about 16.75.

His concerns were how it would fit into rules and such. Im not very up on those things, so Im asking you guys what you think?

cybercrxt
09-14-2015, 11:02 AM
That is not the right size for 1/10th scale tho. Too small.

JimClark
09-14-2015, 02:14 PM
using the numbers off the current master roster list the length would be 34.2 inches long and 16 or 16.2 wide depending on the year. The 1982 is the slightly wider hull.

cybercrxt
09-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Does 1/10th scale allow a full 1" +/- in length? If I remember, there was one club that does not? Mike

JimClark
09-14-2015, 02:46 PM
ERCU is Dimensional tolerance of plus or minus 10 percent is allowed except overall length shall be plus or minus one inch (1”).

CT is Tolerances on the length and width of club hulls will be LENGTH PLUS OR MINUS 1 INCH and WIDTH PLUS OR MINUS 1-1/4 INCHES

And Namba
The true scale dimensions of any Scale Unlimited Hydroplane will be derived from
the unlimited dimensions listed on the Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull
Roster. Boats will measure within the following tolerances of the true scale size,
excluding appendages.
a. Overall Length ……………………………... ± 1 inch
b. Beam…………………………………….……± 10%
c. Maximum Depth……………………………...± 10%
d. Afterplane Length (three point design)….……± 10%
e. Tunnel Width…………………………………± 10%

DCam
09-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys
Sorry for confusing things on dimensions. I was thinking when talking with Steven about saying 33.5 working within the 10th tolerances and also trying to get the length just under to accept LSSH as well (if I'm right on that rule of 34" or under):olleyes:, so it could be exact to 34,2 and it may be too big for LSSH anyway.

ERCU is Dimensional tolerance of plus or minus 10 percent is allowed except overall length shall be plus or minus one inch (1”).

CT is Tolerances on the length and width of club hulls will be LENGTH PLUS OR MINUS 1 INCH and WIDTH PLUS OR MINUS 1-1/4 INCHES

And Namba
The true scale dimensions of any Scale Unlimited Hydroplane will be derived from
the unlimited dimensions listed on the Scale Unlimited Hydroplane Master Hull
Roster. Boats will measure within the following tolerances of the true scale size,
excluding appendages.
a. Overall Length ……………………………... ± 1 inch
b. Beam…………………………………….… …± 10%
c. Maximum Depth……………………………...± 10%
d. Afterplane Length (three point design)….……± 10%
e. Tunnel Width…………………………………± 10%

raptor347
09-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Hi Guys
Sorry for confusing things on dimensions. I was thinking when talking with Steven about saying 33.5 working within the 10th tolerances and also trying to get the length just under to accept LSSH as well (if I'm right on that rule of 34" or under):olleyes:, so it could be exact to 34,2 and it may be too big for LSSH anyway.

Make it just under 34". A small 1/10th is NOT too big for LSSH if the weight is kept down, I'm planning on running one next season. Just make the sponsons symmetrical with reinforcements on both for turn fin mounts.

DCam
09-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Make it just under 34". A small 1/10th is NOT too big for LSSH if the weight is kept down, I'm planning on running one next season. Just make the sponsons symmetrical with reinforcements on both for turn fin mounts.

Sounds good Brian, thanks!

Coug90
09-15-2015, 04:09 AM
using the numbers off the current master roster list the length would be 34.2 inches long and 16 or 16.2 wide depending on the year. The 1982 is the slightly wider hull.

The 82 Atlas has a different hull design than the Blue Blaster too. The 82 boat was built with a spar and deeper pickle forks instead of a full deck in the front. I assume the design was an upgrade so the new boat would trap less air in front since Bill Muncey was killed in a blowover accident in the Blue Blaster in 81.

DCam
09-15-2015, 11:04 AM
The 82 Atlas has a different hull design than the Blue Blaster too. The 82 boat was built with a spar and deeper pickle forks instead of a full deck in the front. I assume the design was an upgrade so the new boat would trap less air in front since Bill Muncey was killed in a blowover accident in the Blue Blaster in 81.

What the hull would be is essentially what the picture is showing the bottom of the 12th scale hull. (the decks have not been trimmed in this pic so it looks wider).It brings up more of what my intent was when Steven started the thread. This bottom is a Finlay signature design with the sump in the middle and and side tunnels using his reverse curve where air is forced more to the afterplane. I seems to work well with the 12th hull. This is really what I wanted to find out if this bottom would pass legally in strict 10th rules, and what are the rules for hull bottoms? Whatever is said may determine how Steven would like to market this as. My thought is I wanted to make a larger version of it anyway for more battery etc space.136994

raptor347
09-15-2015, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately, the belly pan would make illegal. You're only allowed a 2.5" wide 4" long belly pan.

DCam
09-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Unfortunately, the belly pan would make illegal. You're only allowed a 2.5" wide 4" long belly pan.

Thanks for the info! Actually the belly pan alteration or elimination is a pretty easy change. It does not hang down much anyway, and probably would not affect much.

JimClark
09-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Definately have my attention Doug I might just be on the list for one of these

nichismo
09-24-2015, 01:01 AM
Despite my subconscious reminding me of the 1/10 scale extreme kit Mike sells, id definitely would snag one of these as soon as they were available without a 2nd thought :)

leonard feeback
09-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Those are not the correct type sponsons either. The Blue Blaster's sponsons were straight from the bottom of the hull to the running surface of the sponson, not relieved as in the picture.

raptor347
09-24-2015, 01:26 PM
Leonard,
They may not be correct, but they are legal.

From the NAMBA 1/10 rules:
7.e.ii.(d) Sponson design shall be up to the builder as long as it does not
change the outline shape of the hull.

sivadmatt
09-27-2015, 11:27 PM
I'm all for it. i just got in to scale racing last year and the more kit we have available the bigger the class will be.

Coug90
09-30-2015, 12:30 AM
I'm all for it. i just got in to scale racing last year and the more kit we have available the bigger the class will be.

Amen there brother!! It's nice to see anybody doing something to make it easier for folks to get started in the hobby, especially 1:10 scale hydroplanes. Once I get settled after the move, I plan to add a few demanded items for the builders out there too. If you're not making stuff yourself, some of the scale items are pretty hard to find.

rayzerdesigns
09-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Drivers and engines/headers..

ray schrauwen
09-30-2015, 09:39 PM
Would look great in LSH

hydroluvr
10-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Wow...strange timing for this thread since this newbie is dealing with the very issue that makes a hull like this very much needed. I just ordered a Vac-U-Pickle so I could get some experience on a reasonably priced and sized hydro. My goal is to get involved with 10th scale racing but I've got an uphill climb since nobody locally is running them. I know a few people within an hour or so HAVE them but I'm pretty sure they spend more time on the shelf than in the water.
I've been involved with almost every type of rc vehicle and scale hydros have been the toughest challenge. Not having a suitable platform to work with is the hardest part. A lack of guide material is also frustrating. Can anyone suggest reading material that would help a newbie understand what hardware is necessary for a typical ERCU or CT legal scale electric hydro ? In most other forms of rc there are vehicles and study material available for newbies of every level. No mentor,no club, no hobby shop necessary.
Speaking for the other newbies interested in 10th scale hydros...we need a hull like this and we need written guide info. I have a beautiful Brian Buass hull sitting in a closet but I won't dare try to build it because I simply have no knowledge on how to outfit or finish it. That's frustration and that is what will keep other hydro lovers from staying with or progressing in rc boating. As for me...I'm a diehard. I've asked ignorant newbie questions of way to many good people in this hobby. One of these day's I'll be showing off and racing my own rig but I wish it could be sooner than later.

sivadmatt
10-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Good choice starting with vac-u-boats. I have had the opportunity to build most of the boats he offers. Following his set up and tips will give you the basic knowledge to set up a hydro.

DCam
12-01-2015, 10:08 AM
So I'm in process of developing the kit. Without going into it too much, this pickle will in fact conform more to the 10th rules, and you could tun it in LSH. It won't be just an enlarged Blaster. I will provide cowl, driver, stacks etc and all the laser-cut wood you need to build it along with instructions. Sorry, can't say when, I still gotta work for a living at my day job :help:

sivadmatt
12-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Sounds good cant wait to see what you come up with and the boats we can make.

ray schrauwen
12-01-2015, 03:31 PM
It would be nice to see.

T.S.Davis
12-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Doug, is that a twist on the old Dave Frank plans? Looks similar. From memory. The Frank plan was an Oberto. Same era though.

The Frank plan was modified and made into the molds for the Bandit Larsony. Memory again. No tell'n.

JimClark
12-01-2015, 04:52 PM
drawn by Garry Finlay who bases his plans off of Roger Newton plans

Doug, is that a twist on the old Dave Frank plans? Looks similar. From memory. The Frank plan was an Oberto. Same era though.

The Frank plan was modified and made into the molds for the Bandit Larsony. Memory again. No tell'n.

ray schrauwen
12-01-2015, 07:32 PM
I have a 29" one partially cut and built. Gave up on it for other glass hulls.

Laser cut and I'm in!

JimClark
12-01-2015, 07:35 PM
From Gary's Plans?

I have a 29" one partially cut and built. Gave up on it for other glass hulls.

Laser cut and I'm in!

ray schrauwen
12-02-2015, 12:01 AM
From Gary's Plans?

I believe so . I enlarged them way back when I worked for Canon Canada. It has the exact belly pan as in the one picture in here. Did this waaay back. Bought a Whiplash and let it sit

ray schrauwen
12-26-2015, 02:26 PM
So, would this be the simplest, easiest and least expensive hull to get me into 1/10th scale? I'd like to build a scale boat but, I'm cheap and a little lazy with scale stuff. Left hand turns sound like fun.

DCam
12-26-2015, 03:16 PM
A brief history of the blaster if you will. Yes the 1/12 28" blaster is in fact Garry's design. He had the 1/13 scale atlas plans of which the vacu pickle was molded from. Myself, Garry and Andrew Gilchrist were developing a vac formed 1/12 version when I gave up on it. Mostly it because the difficulty in sourcing true abs ( not styrene) which will hold up in racing conditions like glass or wood. So for awhile the project was dropped. Then laser cutting came into possibility and I produced laser kits. Meantime we have the brushless motor emergence making many hulls outdated. The 1/12 blaster has been fine but never intended to be a whiplash competitor anyway, just a good running scale hull. So a larger blaster in 10th scale came into my head and also thoughts of running within rules for LSH as well. Some more choices right? Right now the day after Christmas I have cut wood for two kits in a box ready for test building. Most of the instructions for the 28" hull will work for it likely. No sump like the 28" version has so it will fit 10th rules. To be honest, I'd want to run it a bit before any release just to make sure it's good. I don't know for certain after some years but Garry had really liked the performance of the 28". We will soon see about this 33" one.

ray schrauwen
12-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Thanks!

785boats
12-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Douge.
I've built your 1/12 blaster. It was a delight to both build & run. A 1/10th scale would be awesome. It would also fit in our EA Sports Hydro (4s) class here in Australia. Some people also run 33" hulls in our EB (6s) class. So it would get a look in with that class too.
I'd be interested in one for sure.
Here's a pic of my little one.

nichismo
12-29-2015, 04:33 PM
^^^

wow that looks fantastic, A+!! With the original Blue Blaster livery and a rear wing, it would look amazing!