PDA

View Full Version : is this worth fixing

wicked1
09-13-2015, 10:09 PM

srislash
09-14-2015, 12:39 AM
Depends whether or not you like a challenge. Myself, wouldn't think twice. Fix it.

kfxguy
09-14-2015, 12:49 AM
O wow. I'm just the opposite lol. I'd rather buy a new one. Haha. I hate sanding!

tlandauer
09-14-2015, 12:58 AM
Depends whether or not you like a challenge. Myself, wouldn't think twice. Fix it.

O wow. I'm just the opposite lol. I'd rather buy a new one. Haha. I hate sanding!

:lol::lol:

I bought a DF 45 Sniper with a nice Schulze ESC and Neu 2230 running 12s2P, I didn't know any better those days, the boat's tip came looking like the port sponson tip, not quite as bad as the starboard one. What else can I do :doh:, I fixed it.... :olleyes:

TheShaddix
09-14-2015, 01:54 AM
If you don't care about the aesthetics of it at the end, this is a simple fix. First, put some epoxy in the crack all around, then apply a few strong clamps. After it cures, you can re-grow the tip using a combination of masking tape and some harder material. I'd fold masking tape into a few layers and just replicate the original nose cone best you can, epoxy will not stick to the tape, and also mixing silica into your epoxy to make it thick like paste. Then sand it so it's smooth around the edges and try to get the shape right, and repaint both tips black or something. You can actually get it to look pretty decent. I'd really enjoy fixing this if it were my boat. I've had way worse damages before like the entire hull splitting in 2 pieces. Plus you get that sense of pride when you fix something like this.

TheShaughnessy
09-14-2015, 02:13 AM
Since the question is, "is this worth fixing?'' not is it possible to fix this? we need a little more info. Lets say the material to fix it is 20 bucks, time to make the repair is, lets say 2 hrs. If your time is valued at 80 an hour then you have 180 dollars total into the repair. I just found the hull only for 139 plus shipping so lets call it 180 for a new one to your door. If you get a new one then hardware and electronics have to be transferred. So for the original question, is it worth it? It all comes down to how many dollars you generate in an hour, if you are making less than 50 bucks an hour i'd wager to say it is worth it to make the repair, especially since it isn't a ride surface and just needs to keep water out .

iridebikes247
09-14-2015, 06:14 PM
I would fix it, and buy a new one lol. You can get a bare hull from fightercat for $100 shipped and do a serious inlay, and also learn a new skill repairing the current hull.

dmitry100
09-14-2015, 08:28 PM
yea... thats not that bad... its quite easy if you check some of the threads (you can check my thread) -- has some good info.

wicked1
09-15-2015, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys. I think I will try to fix it. I will let you know how it works out.