PDA

View Full Version : MHZ 114 tank build

iridebikes247
08-22-2015, 07:30 PM
So figured I would post a few pictures, received this hull a few weeks back and got some stuff done. This hull is a bulletproof layup from Mhz and should be able to withstand some serious hits. I went ahead and ordered 4" wide tape from composite envisions, and applied 2 layers to each sidewall and I'm pretty happy with how clean the edges came out. Also installed hatch bolts. So onto the setup part. Wasn't sure on hardware for awhile but think I'll be going with mhz rudder and also the stock, round Mhz drives.

Swordfish 240 escs
Lehner 2250

I enjoy running my 138 at high speeds so figured it was time for another mystic although I want to push this one quite a bit further. Looking for 110+ with this one which explains the bulletproof layup + seams.

iridebikes247
08-22-2015, 07:37 PM
All of the carbon is from dragonplate and its always worked well. Motor mounts are 6mm thick, servo mount 3mm thick. Lipo sleds are mbp but are only capable of holding 6s so I really need to order a set of 8s sleds. The motor mounts were easy to shape and the servo mount is very basic but functional.

iridebikes247
08-22-2015, 07:39 PM
Mhz has been closed for a few weeks but they re open this week so I'll finally be able to get the hardware, shipping is quick so within 2 weeks all of it should be installed. Still don't have the power system, I might maiden it with the Tp 4050 motors just to see how it goes, I'm going up to Lake George NY again middle of October so goal is to bring a boat there. It took me awhile to figure out how to cut the carbon seams and make them look good, most hulls I'd prefer to just do an inlay but this one definitely would have become too heavy. The carbon tape from composite envisions is awesome although I was kind of bummed when I received it as each edge has a thread holding it together, which would have looked horrible if I just placed it in the hull and brushed epoxy. Instead I went an extra step and tape the seam with 2 layers, allowed the epoxy to tack up for AWHILE and took a fresh razor blade to the bottom to give a crisp edge without fraying, or pulling the fabric at all. I ordered kevlar/carbon sheers but this worked fine.

http://compositeenvisions.com/carbon-fiber-fabric-plain-weave-3k-5-7oz-tape-4-hexcel-as4-604.html

This will definitely be a fun boat to complete but risk increases at an exponential rate once you go past 105 or so. I couldn't bring myself to run 13s or cut down 470s on my 138....so another boat is the answer lol.

nata2run
08-23-2015, 02:38 AM
Looking good Mike, I got one on order also. Looking forward to start building it.

srislash
08-23-2015, 11:19 PM
Right on Mike, I haven't order from Dragonplate yet but have looked at the site. Good hard product?
I am leaning toward the HPR for my fall build. Sounds like we may have similar setups.

dmitry100
08-24-2015, 01:17 AM
What were you thinking for rudder and stingers?

iridebikes247
08-24-2015, 09:35 AM
These are the sleds I think I'm going to order. I have this set in another boat and they're freaking awesome, very easy to mount 7s. The mbp sleds have the tabs on the side and will definitely require some grinding down to fit. In my experience though, if the silicone is applied you don't need to glue in much more than a few mm of the outer edge of the sled. The thing is for 8s these sleds won't really work. I've seen a few people run 8s sled systems in these hulls, this is one idea. Get a set of the big ones and heavily cut them down. The top piece is 60mm wide, so no reason it couldn't be cut to fit. idk, we'll see. If anything I'll pickup a router table and make a set myself if I can avoid that though, that would be nice lol.

http://mbp-rc.de/Carbon-Liposchienen-System-easy-move-80/320mm_1

http://mbp-rc.de/Liposchienen-System-easy-move-90/450mm_1

Whats up Shawn, hows summer been going? I think the hpr would definitely be a fun fall/winter build lol, your motors are 2250/7 wind also right? As far as dragonplate goes this is what I usually get. They run sales on the economy plate sometimes and you can get some very good deals. Very hard plate but flexes, goes back to its old shape, etc, I think its good and the finish is always fantastic.

As far as drives go I was really leaning towards some custom stuff before building the boat. Now that its here though I just want to build it. This guy has a set of really long drives, I'd say mtc but I might be wrong. Really wanted to find something like this but isn't happening. The stock mhz drives have been fantastic on my 138, rudder also Mhz. I really went above and beyond prepping this hull and well...had the time considering no hardware and the vacation Mhz has been on lol. At the end of the video you can see how long the drives really are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAbSQ7higlI

nata2run
08-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Or mike, I could make you a set of cool a$$ lipo sleds lol just a thought

iridebikes247
08-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Kent I'll definitely let you know when I get to installing the sleds. Hopefully drives will be here end of next week and can get to installing some stuff lol.

srislash
08-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Summer has been going well bud. Landed the Fantasm on its roof yesterday, ON SHORE!! DOH
. I would think Kent can hook you up sled wise, he should probably have a 114 kickin around to go off of.

Rocstar
08-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Looking good Mike. I'm getting my 114 together now. Motor should be back from Lehner any day now, that's all I've been waiting on.

iridebikes247
08-24-2015, 08:14 PM
Uh oh, beaching is freakin' scary I've done it too. On the plus side you NEVER risk getting water in the hull lol.

Joel, thats good to hear, temps are getting ready to drop which is nice for morning runs. I haven't gotten to the lake much this summer its just been crazy hot.

iridebikes247
10-20-2015, 10:42 PM
new stuff, stuffing tube isn't glued in yet but gives you an idea of how things are shaping up.

dmitry100
10-20-2015, 11:03 PM
What stuff?

iridebikes247
10-20-2015, 11:21 PM
Been awhile since I updated this thread but figured it was time to show some progress. Got the drives a week ago so mounted them up so was finally able to get the motor mounts glued in. I went ahead and made a transom doubler and its really thick, so I will just silicone the drive tube into the hull as the fit is very tight between the hull and stuffing tube.

Still have a ways to go but I'm glad I got back to this build and had the time to crank some stuff out. Now that the hull has motor mounts in, and with the servo mount secured to the deck I am confident this boat will survive some serious hits.....but there is never a guarantee.

Also I did something a bit different with the hatch. I had a lot of carbon fiber tape leftover from when I did the seam, so I went around the perimeter using 1" of cf tape and made 2 full circles around the hatch, then added an inlay. Not much weight added but strength is definitely increased in vulnerable areas.

kfxguy
10-21-2015, 12:09 AM
Very nice looking so far!

iridebikes247
10-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks Travis, starting to look forward to getting this one in the water something tells me I'll kick myself if I don't get a maiden in before the freeze but we'll see.

Have you run the river twin more?

Was talking to Keith and he got the sf300 w/o data logging now so it'll be cool seeing how "unlocked," sf300s push this. The TP 4050s are being used just to line everything up

I gotta say tho the 4050s have some serious power, mating them to a crazy esc with some pitch on a 447 might give us some cool results. Not sure the 4050s can push my boat though, the motor mounts might be too heavy! Rofl

Also I might add the drives were a lil bit harder to mount on this one because of drive placement and also hull thickness. I didn't take a picture but I used a 1/4" plexiglass template of the sponson and just flipped it over when ready to drill the other side. I was real happy I did this because when all was said and done with the CF transom doubler, transom is 10-11mm thick, stuffing tube fits and snug.

For the stuffing tube hole I just pop the drive tube out and use a bunch of pieces of brass tubing to reduce and plug the drill into the flange, making sure the brass-reducer doesn't spin. Now that I have the whole back of the boat glued together I forgot how much stiffness mounts can add.

Also you can kind of see the motor mounts are taped in. I hate doing this as I think the black epoxy looks great but I find it does help when crashing at 90+.

dmitry100
10-21-2015, 01:19 PM
How do you figure it'd be unlocked?

kfxguy
10-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Thanks Travis, starting to look forward to getting this one in the water something tells me I'll kick myself if I don't get a maiden in before the freeze but we'll see.

Have you run the river twin more?

Was talking to Keith and he got the sf300 w/o data logging now so it'll be cool seeing how "unlocked," sf300s push this. The TP 4050s are being used just to line everything up, will be getting 2250s, I think its 1690kv on 8s.

I gotta say tho the 4050s have some serious power, mating them to a crazy esc with some pitch on a 447 might give us some cool results. Not sure the 4050s can push my boat though, the motor mounts might be too heavy! Rofl

Also I might add the drives were a lil bit harder to mount on this one because of drive placement and also hull thickness. I didn't take a picture but I used a 1/4" plexiglass template of the sponson and just flipped it over when ready to drill the other side. I was real happy I did this because when all was said and done with the CF transom doubler, transom is 10-11mm thick, stuffing tube fits and snug.

For the stuffing tube hole I just pop the drive tube out and use a bunch of pieces of brass tubing to reduce and plug the drill into the flange, making sure the brass-reducer doesn't spin. Now that I have the whole back of the boat glued together I forgot how much stiffness mounts can add.

Also you can kind of see the motor mounts are taped in. I hate doing this as I think the black epoxy looks great but I find it does help when crashing at 90+.

Yea Keith was telling me a couple weeks ago that he felt like the data logging made them less efficient. I may grab one and compare it to one I already have. I did run the twin once more. It went almost 60 on 3s. I only had 40mm props on it tho. Didn't get to the point where I was tweaking it because someone offered me good money for it so I sold it.

The 4060's are beasts I know that. I just set a Genesis up with a single 4060 a few weeks ago and he went 103mph so I'm pretty convinced those are some pretty badass motors for the cost. Basically I'm done spending big bucks on motors when I can do it much cheaper.

dmitry100
10-21-2015, 03:12 PM
kfxguy: 103 on 4060's? seriously? dayum :confused1:

kfxguy
10-21-2015, 03:19 PM
kfxguy: 103 on 4060's? seriously? dayum :confused1:

No, 103 on (1) 4060. Lol

ChevyPrerunner
10-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Nice!!

dmitry100
10-21-2015, 05:50 PM
iridebikes247: Do you think it'd really make much of a difference w/o logging on the sf300? Perhaps setting the logging interval to 1 second (or maybe just having them make a firmware feature that turns it off completely) pretty much work the same way?

Unless the datalogging is soo tied into the entire functionality of the esc... making for the code to be that much more inefficient, ie. kind of like a debug/beta versions of software

iridebikes247
10-21-2015, 07:15 PM
I'm sure there will be some differences, I will continue to run the old brick ones in my 138. All of the 300s are capable, if you're looking to exploit the full potential of your motors the new esc is probably the ticket.

103 mph with a single motor genesis is pretty insane, the 4050 is really capable thats cool the 4060 worked out well too.

kfxguy
10-21-2015, 09:44 PM
I'm sure there will be some differences, I will continue to run the old brick ones in my 138. All of the 300s are capable, if you're looking to exploit the full potential of your motors the new esc is probably the ticket.

103 mph with a single motor genesis is pretty insane, the 4050 is really capable thats cool the 4060 worked out well too.

Yea it's pretty dang fast. I saw plenty of video and saw it run. I had originally set the boat up to about 60. He wasn't even in the 50's when it came to me. It crushed 60 its first time out after I sent it back to him. It was flipping and very unstable before he sent to me. Much faster and stable when he got it back. He decided to push it further. I advised on tuning and props. And shortly after he was in the 90's and then over 100. I was told by him today that the shaft slide out the rotor on him. But...he ran it back to back to back in 4 sets of packs and was told by the person with him that he was driving it like he stole it. The setup he was running like that went 94mph so he was sport boating a 94 mph setup over and over. Motor was reported to be over 200 degrees. So moral of the story....tough azz motors!

dmitry100
10-24-2015, 03:39 PM
iridebikes: Did you mean something like this when you were saying 4050 + crazy esc? lol...

More of an educational tested... wanted to see how they would perform vs my SF200 8s.
One of the major differences I've noticed is that the motors run so much cooler with same props.
I'm about to see how it runs with my 1715 props right now. Had a limited test last night when it was dark but it was flying... no cavitation like I had previously.

iridebikes247
10-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Good to know, I'm sure they really let you exploit the full potential of the setup.

dmitry100
10-24-2015, 11:37 PM
Yea but for 6s... its still overkill I'd imagine. You think something like a 280A 6s ESC would be a lot more efficient?

iridebikes247
12-22-2015, 06:11 PM
Figured I should update this thread, escs next. I'm in no rush to finish the lake usually freezes here right around now and is frozen till mid March.

kfxguy
12-22-2015, 06:53 PM
Nice work! You should be finished next week huh?

srislash
12-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Nice work! You should be finished next week huh?

Just toss everything in with big wheels and wait for snow Mike, LOL!
It's looking good pal. The ESC's gonna fit on tunnel or above batteries?

iridebikes247
12-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys, probably a little while before it gets going. Needs sleds too, i think escs will be on the tunnel.

dmitry100
12-22-2015, 09:23 PM
Just got myself a pair of 2250's too... arrived today... such a purdy piece of precision machinery. I see why everyone likes them... besides the price tag of course :)

What wind you running there? Cells?

Apophis
12-24-2015, 12:03 PM
Those are some purty purple paper weights :tt2:
Isn't it like 65° there today? She get her maiden or what?

She's definitely going to be faster than my shelf queen of a 114 lol. I fully expect to see her in Flint this spring. I hear the lead in the water there makes our boats run faster :cool2:

Looking good bro, I better get to see her run this year, in person!!

iridebikes247
12-26-2015, 12:17 PM
Yeah they're going to be paper weights for awhile ahaha, I do enjoy bench racing myself though on a daily basis, I've never plugged kv X volts into a calculator more times lol.

I am really looking forward to your 114 and what you have planned, needs a bad a$$ stand too for when its not in the water. I kinda want to make a few wooden ones this winter or maybe clear acrylic.

I have google mapped the trip to Flint a few times I think I can do it in one shot especially, considering the amt of energy drinks consumed though there's a good chance I'll be twitching the first few hours of the race ahahaha.

dmitry100
12-26-2015, 01:03 PM
I was surprised how crazy loud those 2250's are... sound like a jet turbines! :thumbup:

iridebikes: Have you mocked up your setup yet to get an estimate of total weight? I think mine might be close to 17 lbs...

iridebikes247
01-16-2016, 12:23 PM
Well escs came in, tight fit but started getting things into position. Kinda funny that this was my "build it inside while the lake is under 2 ft of snow," build but the lake still isn't frozen so really messed up my planning of this boat, I started working on some other projects so have slowed down again.

Although the drives are mounted really low on the hull I really wanted to atleast initially mimic the drive angle of my other mystic so turned the pedestal down a few mm, came out good.

iridebikes247
01-16-2016, 12:27 PM
Spent quite a bit of time soldering up the connections, forgot how much fun soldering is lol. Also I glued the flexes and baked with Loctite, and soldered the ends of the flexes.

On this particular boat I also taped in the motor mounts. I kinda thought this step was unnecessary but saw 2 hairline cracks in a motor mount joint last season, so I would rather not have that happen again. I use FG cloth to tape the mounts it wets out really well and follows the curves of the motor mount joint.

I will be running KBB 8s sled system. Not sure how I will mount escs yet, I roughed out a piece of 1/8" lexan to get some ideas for a mount, I also made a base plate so if I did use it I would silicone it in place.

*Lately I've seen threads where a few select posters start posting unrelated pictures of their boat, their setup, etc and this really clutters the thread.

dmitry100
01-16-2016, 01:21 PM
Can you post a pic of these kbb 8s sleds? curious what they look like...

Btw, what kind of CG are you shooting for here?

For the mhz drives-- is there gonna be any space for a negative angle? as it looks like it will be neutral/positive...

iridebikes247
01-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Tbh I don't know what they look like, I just know that buying a router table + carbon will be $, worth it I'm sure but given how many 114s Keith has I'm sure the fit/finish is great. Idk about CG, I'll find out real quick if I'm on or off after a few runs tho.

I'm not the only one who tries to take a lil bit of negative out of the drives for the starting point even if I know negative will eventually be dialed in.