PDA

View Full Version : 1:8 scale Unl. Hydroplane U-88 Schumacher, Full carbon fiber hull & CNC made parts

nichismo
08-21-2015, 11:17 AM
hey guys, im really excited for this project so I have already started and made some good progress, I intended to start this thread beforehand but I got overzealous and a little carried away :)

I recently made another 1/8 scale hydroplane (which was my first RC boat of any kind) that is nearing her maiden voyage. I got in over my head obviously with the choice of boat, but it was my interest in hydroplanes most of my life that lead me to do this, not necessarily the RC hobby firsthand. But with some patience, and an amazing amount of insight and guidance from others here on OSE (one individual in particular that I cant thank enough, you know who you are!), I am very close to finishing it, and am now confident going foward with this build. Now ill have better understanding this time, along with better resources and components, and a much better starting point as well due to the hull that was made for me.

The boat will be built to NAMBA and IMPBA specifications for the most part, as I do intend to have the boat be race ready. That being said, im not sure exactly how much racing I may do with this boat in particular, as I feel its pretty commonplace to figure you should be willing to lose the boat if you want to race it..... I was pretty set on selling the other build with most of its hardware and components so I could reinvest that into this build, but I am more and more happy with how that one is unfolding that I feel like just having two would be much more enjoyable with that extra sense of security somewhat....

If anyone is interested, you can see the thread for the previous project in the scale hydroplane section of the forum, the hull itself before I made many modifications was a Phil Thomas T5, so knowing that, you can easily identify which thread it is. I really encourage all ideas, suggestions and constructive criticism from you guys, as I love frequenting forums of all kinds, and I believe they can provide the basis foundation for a learning experience that nothing else can offer nearly. Theres already alot of pictures, too many by far for me to just start posting, so ill try and just post the most useful and critical ones, and if anyone is curious, feel free to PM me for any specific pics. Thanks for taking the time to read this !

SETUP:

NEU 1527 series motor, wind 1.5y (850kv)
MGM controllers X2 Series 25063 ESC
Revolectrix or Giantpower lipos, 5s and 4s packs, (8s2p/10s2p) 5500mah
Octura x450 3 blade propeller

I have been thinking about giving a stick radio a try, as it just feels more natural to me to throttle by pushing a “lever” foward like in a real boat. I was looking at the Futaba 4GRS and I really like pretty much everything about it, so I may put down a payment towards one on Tower.

**Im probably going to model the boat after the 2011 Degree Men that Ron Jones designed for Billy Schumacher . I had to invest quite a bit extra into the hull in order to have the necessary modifications done to it for it to be registered as this boat (drop deck sponsons, the transom extensions), however I really just liked the look of those in general and am open to doing the beacon plumbing boats too, such as the orange or white and blue renditions. **

nichismo
08-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Really suprised at how much more durable and rigid/robust this hull feels on the decks and especially tighter areas, theres next to nothing in terms of "play" when I apply pressure to the surface, compared to just epoxy glass. I really went overboard with the engineering and crafting of parts and pieces with the last boat, and same goes for epoxy and overall materials too, so weight is a major concern for improvement for me this time around. I dont think the carbon fiber itself did anything towards saving any weight, but the durability gives me the sense that I dont need to use as much reinforcement in the cowling for example, or more epoxy in certain seams, etc.

"

nichismo
08-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Ive got most of the essential parts so far for the build, sans a few that im still undecided on in terms of what to get or whether I can perhaps make a piece myself (mainly this applies to running hardware). I really have been slowly acquiring the parts over the last few months and taken extra effort to ensure no compromises were made for the most part. Among all the components that I currently have for the build, I have had the motor since the very beginning and its just waiting to be used! Ill be using the go-to configuration for 1/8 scale brushless hydros, the NEU 1527, 1.5y 850kv with the 8mm shaft. Ill experiment with both 8s and 10s, but I want to be able to run with the nitro guys and be a fair, comparatively close speed. I wasn't planning on buying the motor as early as I did, but at the time I noticed there was only 1 left with that wind in stock here on OSE so I figured I should jump on it. Very glad I did as its been quite some time since and I havn't seem them back in stock still.

Peter Zilcha was also generous enough to "come out of retirement" so to speak and fabricate me a custom aluminum mount for the motor as well. I absolutely love it, it looks amazing in person and also makes the mounting solution in the boat very easy and convenient to install, along with providing me with a little more freedom to adjust. Ive never used either yet so I cant say for sure, but I think this oiler tank im installing will be a better alternative to greasing the flex shaft. Submerging the shaft in a thinner oil rather than coating it with grease strikes me as a more effective method. Really like the look of the aluminum parts coming together.

ron1950
08-21-2015, 02:17 PM
0where do you plan on puttimg the batteries? looks kinda tight in there

nichismo
08-21-2015, 04:47 PM
look at the last picture, pair of 5500mah 5s revolectrix packs already up front. ill take a better picture

EDIT: and here it is

ron1950
08-26-2015, 04:18 PM
ahhh I see now ..looks good.....lol looked like a couple of styroform blocks with wires comeing out ......

nichismo
08-29-2015, 09:17 AM
lol ya I flipped it in the picture for the sticker to show, Im actually going to cut out most of that wall there seperating the cockpit from the rest of the engine tub. The inside of the cockpit is actually "hollow" in that each side has an opening to the rest of the hull internals, so I need to put a piece of ply on each side and epoxy it to seal it the compartment off, and im thinking of some larger GiantPower batteries that are 190mm that I want to be able to fit, so if I remove as much of that wall as I can and then try and transition the two areas together as smoothly as possible, it should give me alot of extra space hopefully.