PDA

View Full Version : Reciever box and antenna location

FearSys
08-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Setting up the used Genesis hull I just got and was wondering about antenna location. Since it's fiberglass do I even need to run the antenna out of the boat or can it just lay on the inside?

tlandauer
08-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Technically yes, you can run with the antenna inside since it is FG, what rx are you using??
I run the Spektrum marine rx inside on several boats and I position the antennas higher than the motor and ESC, I tape them in such a way. On a single drive cat hull it is trickier since the motor is on the tunnel floor. you can still do it, also avoid placing the last inch or so too close to the motor and ESC.
Having said that, there is no better set up than when the antenna(s} is outside. I got to like doing that and even the looks of it grew on me, but most importantly I want to make sure on my end I have done everything possible to ensure a secure link.
What I have done is to make it stay on the underside of the hatch every time when I am about to close the hatch, you can tape it or make some kind of device so you can position the antenna when the hatch is about to close and there is enough reach for the antenna.
This may bring laugh from some people but I enjoy the ritual of all the maintenance work before a run. :biggrin:

FearSys
08-05-2015, 11:47 AM
I'm running at Traxxas TQi system for now. This is my first FG boat (I have 2 Spartans and a Villain) so I'm using what I have on hand right now. The plan is to attempt twins in this hull over the winter.
Anyway, my TQi has been fine for my Spartans and I like the Traxxas telemetry with GPS. As far as attaching it to the hatch, I was considering putting my antenna mount on the hatch right above the reciever and just putting the antenna up in the tube when I put the hatch on.

tlandauer
08-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Some of my boats are indeed set up that way, I thread the antenna into the mount EVERY TIME when I put the hatch on----didn't say that because I didn't want to discourage anyone from such a method. But it does work, you just need to make sure the aluminum mount is really water tight on the hatch, I glue (epoxy) them in as compared to just rely on the rubber "O" ring gasket. Also I put a piece of silicone fuel tube outside where the plastic antenna tube goes into the antenna mount.
Remember: on these 2.4ghz system the only MEANINGFUL length of the antenna is the tail at the end, when you "thread" the antenna into the mount, be very careful as the plastic tube that is in place is narrower than the bottom hole of the mount, you need to take that into consideration as not to just shove it in there as it may damage /weaken the tail over time.
I am not familiar with the TQi system, glad it is working great for you.