PDA

View Full Version : Near finished w/ first boat, 8 scale T5 hydroplane, epoxy fiberglass and carbon fiber

nichismo
08-05-2015, 01:21 AM
Hey guys, although its not finished, I really wanted to share as I feel like I need the most tips and precautionary information I can get my hands on before I go out for my maiden voyage. This boat was difficult to say the least, very steep learning curve and I quickly realized how in over my head I had gotten just a week into recieving the hull.

However, with some patience, and some extremely helpful individuals here on offshore electrics (one individual in particular who has been just outstanding and far more generous then ive ever been), I have been able to progress to the point I am at now. Now I must say that not only is this my first build and I have no experience driving either, im also not exactly a craftsman either. I did my best to basically mimic the ML boatworks scale builds that I have seen, as I really trust in ML boatworks design philosophy and I have never seen a boat from Mike that didnt run well. That being said, I still made mistakes and also I have been very picky. Alot of trail and error, and error usually meaning tearing out "permanently" installed materials/components, lol.

I didnt really understand at first why there was so few true scale hydroplane builds out there that were electric, and among those, it seemed like almost all were wooden builds. Now that I went ahead and purchased a glass hull that was intended for nitro, I can see why! I was so deadset at first on getting a glass hull, and I also didnt understand the difference between an epoxy hull and a gelcoated hull. Needless to say, this also resulted in a ton of unforeseen required work! The main thing being was room for lipos.... I know most people would simply put the lipos inside the hull underneath the decks, and thus outside the engine tub. But every ML boatworks kit and subsequent piece of advice id get regarding this, told me to place the lipos as far foward as possible, preferably up in the cockpit. I made the stupid mistake of purchasing the lipos far too late and nearly after every other component was already installed, but then again, it was sort of a good thing because then it helped me realize what truly needed to be done to fit them up front. No compromises! so I completely tore out a large section of the tub floor of the boat. I sanded down the edges smooth and then shaped a new and deeper belly pan from plywood that would not only span the length of the batteries, but also enable a better motor mount position. I used some pretty heavy cloth when I fiberglassed over the entire thing, along with alot of fairing filler and some glazing putty. I have pictures of this whole process.

Another big aspect of the progression of this was some major hull modifications I underwent to meet the previously stated goals, along with my pickyness in making the hull appear more scale accurate. After I looked at more and more pictures of modern day hydroplanes and especially a typical T6 hull, I realized how many small features that my hull was lacking that really were detracting from the scale appearance overall. Ill show pictures of the hull when I first got it, and youll be able to see the difference easily. At first, mainly after tearing out the floor, I thought "WTF are you insane?! you just butchered and sabotaged your entire project.... dummy" but thankfully it turned out great and gave me confidence with the next modifications I made. I really feel these made a DRAMATIC difference in the entire aesthetic of the boat.

I could really go and on about the near 5 months I spent on this build, but ill leave that for any potential questions that anyone might have, and the pictures that Ill probably inevitably post. Also, anyone who wants can go over to the scale hydroplane section on the forum and check out the thread I made there, however I still didnt quite document everything that I went through.

Well thats enough talking for now! heres some pictures of the boat currently, and some during its construction.

nichismo
08-05-2015, 01:29 AM
heres a few of the boat just before going into primer, mostly just sanded after and then some of the pictures just after brushing (yes a hand held brush) the first coat of primer on. I used Klass Kote with some micro balloons added to it, it worked splendidly.

nichismo
08-05-2015, 01:35 AM
Heres some pictures of the interior and how I was able to get the batteries setup the way I like. Couple of the near finished belly pan and offset extensions I added to shorten the picklefork, and the subhatch lip and cover setup. I tore out and redid that particular part almost 4 times until I finally was satisfied with it. Now its nice and level, and a simple rectangle, very easy to tape.

nichismo
08-05-2015, 02:10 AM
Here are some pictures of the hull the day I recieved it in the mail. Forgot that I should probably also mention the setup ill be using!

-hull is a 1/8 scale T5 laid up by Phil Thomas. Phil was able to add some carbon fiber on the decks for me, and also included the salt water scoop to add onto the cowling, however im still unsure if I want to use this. He also was able to complete this for me extremely fast, was just a hair over 2 weeks from the moment I ordered it, to when it arrived on my porch.

-Motor is a Hyperion 4035 800kv outrunner
-ESC is a Swordfish 240 amp high voltage
-Lipos are two 4s 5500mah packs from Revolectrix, setup for 8s2p
-prop will start at Octura x450 2 blade

I also have a NEU 1527 1.5Y that I may try at some point, however I bought that mainly for the next boat ill be building, another 8 scale hydro. Some other items I bought for that build are a 10s2p setup also configured the same from Revolectrix, and an MGM 25063 x2 series ESC that I bought here from Kent at customcfparts.com

nichismo
09-01-2015, 07:01 AM
well it turns out I wasnt nearly as close to her maiden voyage as I thought I was! haha but thats okay, as im still learning now more than ever before and its real exciting to have this sense of discovery throughout this whole process, in conjunction with finally reaching the verge of my first experience driving ever.

I ended up using more primer than I anticipated was required to finish, so I had to stop midway through... the hull is maybe 90% done and the wings are about 70% covered, and then i have yet to start on the cowl. I should receive my order from Klass kote late this week hopefully. I turned some of the leftover primer into a spot putty with microballoons and I globbed it onto a few last imperfections that I havnt sanded away yet, but other than that, im really happy with the finish as I havnt sanded at all for that matter and it was my first time spraying anything before at all, other than a few rattle can goofs when I was much younger xD

So after the primer job is done, Ill maybe just put a light clearcoat on the bottom of the boat for the test voyage. In the meantime, I need to solder a few cables and program the ESC, and seal the sub hatch cover with epoxy. I may also add a 40mm motor clamp or just a round piece of support for a longer motor, specifically a NEU 1527 as the current mount supports 25mm hole spacings which both the 4035 and 1527 share. Im still planning on saving the 1527 until my other build is finished, but I know this boat is probably way overweight and I may crave more speed . hopefully not though lol

im very happy with how the interior turned out, considering how many times i literally tore almost everything out and started over, it was certainly worth it. really cant emphasis enough how ignorant I was to the concept of "converting" a glass nitro hull to a brushless, lipo power intended hull. I knew without a doubt that the lipos absolutely needed to be as far foward as possible and within the engine well. The modification to the floor to make a real belly pan was by far the most critical aspect of the build in my opinion, as not only now is the center of gravity much better, its also much lower too and I can fit pretty much any 10s setup I want (I think a 6000mah setup is the only one I cant).