PDA

View Full Version : A nifty $15 cooling system tester

gearhd48
07-30-2015, 09:59 AM
As the saying goes: necessity is the mother of all inventions. Had a water leak in my system and needed to test and while I was in my garage I saw my small fountain pump that I hadn't replaced yet. cut the top of package and used that as water tub, It came with several size fittings, then used some fairly large o.d hose that I got from a RC cooling kit that I had. worked it in the pump fitting, added a few drops of super glue and pushed in a bit more. connected hose to transom fitting, dropped pump in package tub and plugged in ac cord. To my amazement it looked to have the same output flow while running. Found my leak. This would be a great portable tester as long as you have access to a AC power source. Tetra® 75 GPH Fountain Pump, part #0204500 I got this at menards. Just a FYI that could maybe help boat racers. https://www.menards.com/main/store/20090519001/items/media/Hardware/UNITE045_200/ProductMedium/268-9830_75_pump2.jpg Hope this helps someone!

adnick
06-07-2022, 11:57 PM
Nice thanks for the info

Fluid
06-08-2022, 10:22 AM
Welcome to the forum. Checking the date I see that this thread is seven years old, the link posted above doesn?t work and the OP hasn?t been back to the forum in a year. He won?t see you kind post.

Steven Vaccaro
06-08-2022, 01:58 PM
I use a 2-liter plastic bottle and the top. fit the top with a through-hull fitting and a piece of silicon tube.

Attach to your boat, and then fill the bottle with water and squeeze.

fweasel
06-08-2022, 08:46 PM
Welcome to the forum. Checking the date I see that this thread is seven years old, the link posted above doesn?t work and the OP hasn?t been back to the forum in a year. He won?t see you kind post.

New user, and has a history of bumping very old threads.

TRUCKPULL
06-08-2022, 09:24 PM
This is the easiest leak tester, Fill with water, connect output hose from rudder to the hose nipple,
Put finger over output from boat to create some back pressure. Push on syringe.
Works every time.

Larry

properchopper
07-30-2022, 01:01 PM
Larry, your system is simple and effective. I like it. As an alternative I use the "kitchen sink special"

Make a little gadget,

hook it to the sink,

and plug in to the input from the rudder.

Serves the dual purpose of both finding boat leaks and (if flow gets too out of hand) - testing wetsuits and kitchen floor mops :ohmy:

TRUCKPULL
07-30-2022, 04:40 PM
Tony - If my wife caught me with that hooked up to the kitchen sink, I would be walking funny for a long time.