PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here work with CAD?

jj2003
07-27-2015, 04:56 PM
Trying to take a scanned image and convert to a CAD file. Is this possible and does anyone here do such a thing?

boilo56
07-27-2015, 05:26 PM
What type of file do you have?

jj2003
07-27-2015, 10:33 PM
It's a .bmp file. It's a scanned image of the actual piece.

boilo56
07-27-2015, 10:42 PM
It's a .bmp file. It's a scanned image of the actual piece.

Weird, i always thought that .bmp files were image files, like pictures...?

jj2003
07-27-2015, 10:53 PM
I placed the original pieces on the scanner, hit scan and when it saved the file, it was set to .bmp. So now that's the only copies I have of the original piece. I had to return the originals to the owner.

boilo56
07-27-2015, 11:09 PM
Well, i don't know all of the CAD softwares, but on those i work with, bmp are pictures. Maybe it will sound stupid, but what scanner did you used?

nata2run
07-27-2015, 11:10 PM
I can do it. Send me the file info@customcfparts.com if very easy then no problems

boilo56
07-27-2015, 11:12 PM
I can do it. Send me the file info@customcfparts.com if very easy then no problems

Yes, this guy can help you !!!

jj2003
07-27-2015, 11:19 PM
Well, i don't know all of the CAD softwares, but on those i work with, bmp are pictures. Maybe it will sound stupid, but what scanner did you used?

Its an HP Envy 7640.

Will do!

Yes, this guy can help you !!!

Thanks for offering to help. I really do appreciate it. I tried doing it myself with a couple free programs but I'm not doing so well in my "test run" !

nata2run
07-28-2015, 02:33 AM
Email with trace/mount sent....

jj2003
07-28-2015, 08:30 AM
Sorry Kent, forgot to tell you that I did.....

nata2run
07-28-2015, 08:56 AM
I meant I sent them off to you, let me know if they match your print out from the scan

jj2003
07-28-2015, 09:16 AM
I meant I sent them off to you, let me know if they match your print out from the scan

I cut them both out, my original and the PDF file you sent me. The PDF is about an 1/8 of an inch larger but it looks perfect. Even the holes for the motor screws came out great! I'm going to put both in the hull to see how close it is but I think yours is dead on. I really appreciate your help Kent. I wish I could afford to send you the 8mm CF plate I have for these and I'd have you do them for me. If this doesn't work out for me on the first attempt, I'm going to buy another 8mm plate and send it to you. I still have some plans to get to you for the rest of the cf parts I need. I haven't forgotten that we talked about a theme I had in mind. Thank you very much and I'll get back to you later tonight. Off to work job #1 right now till 2pm then off to job #2 from 3 to 11pm.

nata2run
07-28-2015, 10:22 AM
I cut them both out, my original and the PDF file you sent me. The PDF is about an 1/8 of an inch larger but it looks perfect. Even the holes for the motor screws came out great! I'm going to put both in the hull to see how close it is but I think yours is dead on. I really appreciate your help Kent. I wish I could afford to send you the 8mm CF plate I have for these and I'd have you do them for me. If this doesn't work out for me on the first attempt, I'm going to buy another 8mm plate and send it to you. I still have some plans to get to you for the rest of the cf parts I need. I haven't forgotten that we talked about a theme I had in mind. Thank you very much and I'll get back to you later tonight. Off to work job #1 right now till 2pm then off to job #2 from 3 to 11pm.

No problem I'm happy to help. When I did the trace I noticed that the page size was spot on A4 which made me believe it was to scale, but then I got thrown out because some of the holes were 7.4mm? As far as I'm aware thread on 3080's are only M4. If you require a current LMT hole layout let me know and I can place it in the drawing. Remember when you print the PDF make sure you untick "fit to printer margins" as that could explain the larger print out. As I understand you print on letter, and the drawing is on A4. Printing scale to fit would enlarge the print slightly. In other words, look for a feature that says do not scale or something like that (depends on the acrobat version)

jj2003
07-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Hi Kent,

I did as you said and unchecked fit to page. The pdf image came out just slightly larger then before. I cut it out and then I printed one out from earlier ( the first one without the corrected motor mount holes and without unchecking "fit to page") and cut it out and checked fitment in the hull. It was off by about an 1/8 of an inch all the way around. I compared the new file to the first and it is just about and 1/8 larger then the first so the newest one fits perfect. Thank you so much! I wish I had something I could offer you! I have just a quick question about the shape at the top between the pdf file and the dxf file. Is it possible to get the curve on the dxf file like on the pdf or is that just the nature of the program?

nata2run
07-28-2015, 11:58 PM
Hi,
I'm Glad it fits! not sure about the difference between the DXF and the PDF? it should be the same file. Can you show me a screen shot of how the DXF file came out? when I open the DXF it looks to be the same as the PDF. Can you by any chance import the PDF into what ever CAD software your using? In many cases it will let you import at 1:1 ratio and since the PDF is vector based it should recognize the curve layout.

jj2003
07-29-2015, 03:09 AM
OK,

I downloaded the trial of Autocad 2016 and opened the dxf file in it. It shows up correctly with the curve. It must have been the third party software from google that showed it incorrectly. I have just a few more questions for you but Ill ask after I take the tutorial. Thanks a ton Kent! Your work is greatly appreciated!