PDA

View Full Version : painting help

okieman98
07-22-2015, 02:42 PM
the last two boats i have painted came out bad. the first coat lays down good but the second coat crackles like anticking old furniture are something. what am i doing wrong , please

TheShaddix
07-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Can you describe your process step by step? Are you using rattle cans? The trick with those is to shake them really well before spraying, then use 5 or more thin coats with about 5-10 minutes in between. And what kind of surface are you painting? How are you prepping it?

ray schrauwen
07-22-2015, 08:10 PM
Paint brand?

okieman98
07-23-2015, 04:46 PM
ok i sanded the pvc surface to ruff it up. then cleaned with mean green cleaner, after that i used a prep wipe to be sure, i used a spray can rustoleum. the fist coat goes good but the second does the cracking thing, i did not sand between coats, but i did wait till it was dry before i but the second coat on.

Luck as a Constant
07-23-2015, 06:25 PM
Some surfaces require a chemical bond, not a mechanical one.
You may rough it up all day and it won't matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimClark
07-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Humidity high?

TheShaddix
07-23-2015, 07:39 PM
sounds like you probably waited too long after your first coat. You're supposed to either recoat within 30 minutes or after 24 hours. if that's not the case, then are you leaving it to dry in the sun or under any heatlamp? If so, then try to have it dry in a shade. I've never had any cracks in my paint. Try not using those cleaning products, just sand the part with 400 grit, wash it with soap to degrease it, dry, then paint. First coat very light, just to mist it. Second coat in 5-10 min a bit heavier. Keep going till it's covered. Sanding between coats isn't needed unless you're going for a mirror finish and paint in a paint booth... If you're painting outside in open air, things will land on it anyway. Use a fan above the part so it blows the air away from your part, just make sure it doesn't blow directly onto the part. Wet sand your final clear coat with 2000 or so grit, then polish it and you'll have professional looking results. And once again, shake that can well before and during use.

okieman98
07-23-2015, 09:08 PM
ok thanks i think i waited to long in between the coats, like u where saying, i am painting in my shop so not really a booth. so wet sand the last clear coat and then buff it out are just waxing it ok