PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Inlay

Hi8iS
07-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Was looking at this product as I have several boats I want to to inlays on & this is very appealing as it is a kit & I have no idea where else to buy it. Has anyone tried this? Is this resin suitable? I know many mention using West Systems. But would love to give this a try the price is very reasonable. Here is a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/carbon-fiber-cloth-2x2-kit-and-epoxy-14x36-/271923154694?hash=item3f4fe20f06

okieman98
07-22-2015, 02:36 PM
i used this guys 2x2 twill in my mono was very pleased with the out come and the resin was crystal clear when cured would recommend him. have ordered twice from them and had good product both times
http://stores.ebay.com/cjcompositestechnology/

kfxguy
07-22-2015, 03:38 PM
I used to use this epoxy for all my inlays. Here's what I've noticed:

1) it's thicker than wast systems
2) it doesn't flow as well as west systems
3) the air bubbles don't come out as easy, if you were to brush it on and not use a roller, it does not make a good finish. I found myself sanding and buffing it if I wanted a good finish.
4) if you get it wet several times it starts to turn a little cloudy. West doesn't do this. It stays looking the same.

I have a little left and I use it for reinforcing tips and stuff like that.

Hi8iS
07-23-2015, 11:41 PM
I used to use this epoxy for all my inlays. Here's what I've noticed:

1) it's thicker than wast systems
2) it doesn't flow as well as west systems
3) the air bubbles don't come out as easy, if you were to brush it on and not use a roller, it does not make a good finish. I found myself sanding and buffing it if I wanted a good finish.
4) if you get it wet several times it starts to turn a little cloudy. West doesn't do this. It stays looking the same.

I have a little left and I use it for reinforcing tips and stuff like that.
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like West Systems it is. ANd there are 4 marinas within 10 miles that have it in stock. Any good leads at where to source carbon fiber cloth? And is there anything particular I should be looking for when purchasing carbon fiber?

nata2run
07-23-2015, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like West Systems it is. ANd there are 4 marinas within 10 miles that have it in stock. Any good leads at where to source carbon fiber cloth? And is there anything particular I should be looking for when purchasing carbon fiber?

For US supplier, I think KBB is the way to go. He would guide you and sell you what he uses as well? West Systems is the way to go, at least its known and have a good pump system for mixing the correct ratio. The 105 resin plus 207 hardener will give you brilliant results.