PDA

View Full Version : Custom Impulse 31 LED's

MrSTUDofRC
07-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Okay so I took an Impulse 31 hull and reinforced it with strips of tin foil and carbon fiber - I then have a custom boat wrap coming for it. It looks really good but I would like to add super bright bow and tail lights - white and red respectively - and blue under-the-boat lighting to match the color scheme. Wiring and resistors and such is the easy part. What i'm having a hard time figuring out is how to install them so they are flush and so the boat still looks great when they are off. The under-the-boat lighting and even the taillights shouldn't be hard. Its the bow i'm worried about - because they have to be flush with the contour of the boat and the bow has the most reinforcements(13 layers of tin foil and epoxy-resin with 4 layers of carbon fiber on top) - and I don't know how I can cleanly drill through that.

If anyone has done this before or has any suggestions i'd LOVE to hear them

Thanks!

MrSTUDofRC
07-21-2015, 11:43 AM
I can also buy a new hull - this hull is okay - but it has been patched many times and sanded a lot and it just came to mind that the wrap may not fit it - because it was designed for a stock hull - not this one which may be shaped differently - and with a new hull it would most likely be a bit easier to install LEDs

kfxguy
07-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Tin foil? :noidea:

tazman
07-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Tin foil? :noidea:
Keeps out the x-rays:laugh:

kfxguy
07-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Keeps out the x-rays:laugh:

Ahh ha! But really? Tin foil tears pretty easily. Even 9 layers will.

MrSTUDofRC
07-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Ahh ha! But really? Tin foil tears pretty easily. Even 9 layers will.

Haha I get why your confused - I was going to have a nose cone casted - but that would have cracked the hull if I ever did hit anything - instead I decided to take a layer of tin foil + a layer of epoxy resin + a layer of carbon fiber - repeat that 9 times then add 4 more layers of carbon fiber - that does not tear easy - I hit it as hard as I could with a hammer and it didn't even leave a scratch

I was going to use it as a new race boat but I have decided against it - I am going to build the race boat from scratch with a new hull and the lights will be added to that - probably will use this hull for a river basher of some sort

So the same question regarding the LED's applies - anyone got anything?

MrSTUDofRC
07-21-2015, 03:44 PM
Never mind - I decided not to do it - I have no idea how to delete this thread but if I could I would

Thanks