PDA

View Full Version : Team Tekin Products and Support Q&A

TekinTeamMngr
09-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Hey guys,

Just found this cool boat site and wanted to offer up any help we at Team Tekin could offer.

We offer quite a few brushless esc's, motors, batteries and other products that boat users have been using with success.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

rockwerks
09-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Hey guys,

Just found this cool boat site and wanted to offer up any help we at Team Tekin could offer.

We offer quite a few brushless esc's, motors, batteries and other products that boat users have been using with success.

How about a quality boat esc to start with? water cooled and able to handle 75 amps or more

Eyekandyboats
09-30-2008, 04:56 PM
75 amps is too little. i need a 200 amp plus esc in my boats
as well as something with water cooling and water proof/resistant.. and something more then 3s lipo.
other then that i used you 1/18th scale system in my Xray M18 pro and it was great.

rockwerks
09-30-2008, 05:01 PM
75 amps is too little. i need a 200 amp plus esc in my boats
as well as something with water cooling and water proof/resistant.. and something more then 3s lipo.
other then that i used you 1/18th scale system in my Xray M18 pro and it was great.

I thought Id start with something a little less expensive and easier for Tekin to handle.

Spot Me 2
09-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey guys,

What do you offer for the boating world? Do you have a watercooled ESC? A 100amp plus, watercooled, 2-6s esc would be nice.

Ub Hauled
09-30-2008, 05:22 PM
well Randy,
a couple of things that we (by we I mean I) would like to see is a line up of your motors and ESCs and their specs (including max watts and/or max amps) that you deem fit for the boating realm. Keep in mind that 98+% of the time we'll be running direct drive and it would be nice to have an ESC start at 80 or possibly 120 amps continuous, 2-4s lipo and water cooled, like it was mentioned a few times already.
Welcome aboard.

rockwerks
09-30-2008, 06:29 PM
I like Tekin products very much and have some RC esc's that still function perfectly after 14years of use! 408 sport

I currently run an FXR in my brushed crawler and for drag brakes, smoothness and feel there is no better brushed crawling ESC on the market

That being said currently the R1 RS and the RebelII are the high end units with max lipo of 3s or 9 and 10 cells . They dont list max amps.....but the pro version of the R1and RS does not list a max motor wind limit either

Doby
09-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Hey guys,

Not wanting to state the obvious, but you sound as though you are a "competitor" of Steve here at OSE. :confused1:

Did you check with him before you offered up your "help" as this would appear to take money from his buisness and this is his forum. :huh:

TekinTeamMngr
09-30-2008, 07:46 PM
THanks for the welcome guys.

We certainly have esc's that can meet some of your power requirements. I do have some questions though before I make recomendations.

What motors do you use? Brushed(what turn) and Brushless?

What seems to be the biggest failure to an esc?

Doby: I didn't ask as I saw that he sells a lot of other products like Traxxas, Proboat,etc. I thought that this was a public forum. If I have made a mistake I would like to know with whom I can correct it with.

rockwerks
09-30-2008, 07:59 PM

We certainly have esc's that can meet some of your power requirements. I do have some questions though before I make recomendations.

Doby: I didn't ask as I saw that he sells a lot of other products like Traxxas, Proboat,etc. I thought that this was a public forum. If I have made a mistake I would like to know with whom I can correct it with.

I dont think steve will have a problem with it but Id still give him the heads up:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/member.php?u=4

his contact info on the forum.

many of us use brushed turn or so and brushless now. being able to handle a min of 75 amps continious and 22 Volt input would be a good start

Eyekandyboats
09-30-2008, 08:00 PM

i use many many motors. the best way to sell a esc is to make the esc based on usable ratings such as current draw and hertz range and voltage and timing.
on your website you specfiy that a esc is able to run a 36MM can.
that is not a good way of doing things for us.

we use to many motors to specify just one.
biggest failure is mostly user issue with people not knowing how to "link" a esc together with a proper setup.

TekinTeamMngr
09-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Our brushed esc's can handle the current you guys are stating.

So essentially you guys can "overgear" your boat with the wrong prop pitch,etc. Ok that's easy enough.

Our escs will all go into a thermal overload shoud you be out of range. We also have onboard temp monitoring as well as custom voltage cut offs etc via our Hotwire USB interface.

Timing is also adjustable via the Hotwire. We can even run in Dual mode with a sensored start and seemlessly roll into sensorless for more control.

We can handle 4s and 5s when a seperate BEC is used. We're running our R1 Pro in 1/8 scal offroad with 4 and 5s using Neu motors.

I'll see if I can tackle an engineer and get some hard numbers for you guys soon. Thanks for the information!

Doby
09-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Doby: I didn't ask as I saw that he sells a lot of other products like Traxxas, Proboat,etc. I thought that this was a public forum. If I have made a mistake I would like to know with whom I can correct it with.[/QUOTE]

If he's OK with you here than that will be a big positive for everyone here.

Its great to see Mfr. Reps surfing the forums offering assistance. :banana:

TekinTeamMngr
09-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I posted on his profile.

Eyekandyboats
09-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Cool.
is there a way to get amp ratings on any esc's you make.
I will buy one for testing, but i would like it know a amp rating.

Our brushed esc's can handle the current you guys are stating.

So essentially you guys can "overgear" your boat with the wrong prop pitch,etc. Ok that's easy enough.

Our escs will all go into a thermal overload shoud you be out of range. We also have onboard temp monitoring as well as custom voltage cut offs etc via our Hotwire USB interface.

Timing is also adjustable via the Hotwire. We can even run in Dual mode with a sensored start and seemlessly roll into sensorless for more control.

We can handle 4s and 5s when a seperate BEC is used. We're running our R1 Pro in 1/8 scal offroad with 4 and 5s using Neu motors.

I'll see if I can tackle an engineer and get some hard numbers for you guys soon. Thanks for the information!

TekinTeamMngr
09-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm gonna work on that tomorrow. I'm going to tackle one of our engineers and beat some info out of him for you guys! :)

rockwerks
09-30-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm gonna work on that tomorrow. I'm going to tackle one of our engineers and beat some info out of him for you guys! :)

Good to see you here! I talked with out on RCcrawler also I believe

teach
09-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Waterproof?

Quicksilver
09-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I've been wanting to ask this for a while now, what happened to the 432m esc. That thing was great, it lasted me a decade......but I dont see anything with specs like that one had. 6-32 cell and some ludicrous amp rating

domwilson
09-30-2008, 09:29 PM
I would like to see an Brushless ESC with the following:

1.) High continuous amp rating >150 amps
2.) Waterproofed with water and/or fan cooling.
3.) Easy programming capabilities
4.) 22v or higher voltage rating at 150 amps.
5.) Good customer service and support.
6.) Very competively priced.
7.) Detailed specifications.
8.) Hassle-free warranty.

I hope that's not asking too much.:banana:

TekinTeamMngr
10-02-2008, 03:51 PM
The 432M was a unique controller with high voltage ratings,
but not as burly as todays components or as efficient. The
higher voltage fets do not tend to switch as well. What
made it work well was the excellent water cooled heatsink in
direct contact with all the fets. Our Fxpro is superior in
all areas with lower resistance, higher current handling,
improved patented fly back circuit and super trick switching
for max efficiency and minimum heat. However a separate BEC
unit is required for use with 4s or more and we cannot get
direct contact with the heatsink on all of the fets due to
the stacked power boards. It is not waterproof, but
probably almost as water resistant as the 432M. We do coat
the boards very well with a protective layer. We probably
need to consider some sealant for better protection.

Fxpro brushed fwd only 416amps.
FxRpro w/rev 208amps.
R1pro or Rspro in brushed forward mode 624amps.
R1pro or Rspro in Brushless mode 208amps per phase.
These are in ideal conditions like temperature. SO if these are properly cooled this is where we'll be. If they get hot we thermal and simply shutdown.

These should get you in the ball park. As you guys know boats aren't on a constant load either.

We are making a 1/8 BL controller that will work well in
boats with extreme setups. It has a built in BEC for up to
6s battery and a heatsink with a fan for cooling. We can
easily make a watercooled heatsink and bag the fan for a
boat unit. The unit is reasonably small at about 2” long
x 1.5” wide x 1.2” to the top of the heatsink. We are
also going to offer 1/8 scale motors like what some of you
are using.

rockwerks
10-02-2008, 04:05 PM
what does the FXR handle in amp ratings and voltage...since I have 2 sitting here....and they are small!

Eyekandyboats
10-02-2008, 05:49 PM
if they are so small. how can i take the heat of the
208 amps per phase....
for some reason i dont think it would handle that in real world.
i would like to try one... but when i blow it up i am pretty sure it would not be under warranty.

00garyc
10-02-2008, 06:18 PM
dom i completely agree!!!!

TekinTeamMngr
10-02-2008, 06:28 PM
I would believe the FXR non pro would take about half of the Pro's amperage which would put it around 208 or so.

We have the most fet's in our R1 Pro and RS pro than almost any 1/10 brushless controller period. There are 48 top level fet's and fet drivers that make the magic happen.

We seriously put a straight short from battery to motor with little to no loss at all. This means top power to your motor(s).

Eyekandyboats what motor(s) do you run in your boat? I can answer the questions better if I know what type of loads to expect.

We have guys running dual 9x2 hand wound modifieds in heavy racing monster trucks for drag racing that are running off of a single FX Pro. Trucks weigh around 8-9 lbs.

rockwerks
10-02-2008, 06:38 PM
I have found that size of the esc has absolutely nothing to do with quality or ability to take abuse or amperage. The quality of what goes into the esc is most important.

so the FXR will handle about 104 amps? I tell ya what Im going to put it into a hull this weekend a 8 cell mono with plet motor...Hey is this thing waterproof?

domwilson
10-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I looked at your site and it appears that your ESCs are rated to only 3s lipos. Can these handle more? How hard would it be to water cool these? Would the warranty cover mods like this? Alot of FE boaters are going for the Chinese ESC's because of cost, realiabily, specs and word of mouth. Warranty isn't so much an issue because of the lower cost. If ratings/performance are much better, and the warranty is hassle free, then cost would be less of an issue. But that's just my humble opinion.

TekinTeamMngr
10-02-2008, 06:47 PM
They're not "water proof." They are water resistant due to a coating that is applied. Our esc's have a smaller footprint due to our stacked powerboards.

We are working on aluminum lower housings for heavy load use and these could be attatched to a standard water cooled heatsink as well. We may be looking at one that has the tubes drilled into them as well if the market shows we need it.

Our support group is top notch. They're easy to reach and have a wealth of knowledge.

Yes the esc's can take more the 3s when a seperate BEC is used. The batter rating at 3s still allows for the onboard BEC to be used.

domwilson
10-02-2008, 06:49 PM
How many cells can they handle?

Ub Hauled
10-02-2008, 07:10 PM
their 1/8 scale buggies had 4-5s on them...

TekinTeamMngr
10-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah our R1 Pro and RS Pro can do 4s and 5s when a seperate BEC is used. The FX Pro can do 4s again with a seperate BEC.

rockwerks
10-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Yeah our R1 Pro and RS Pro can do 4s and 5s when a seperate BEC is used. The FX Pro can do 4s again with a seperate BEC.

Im giving this a shot.

Im going to rebuild my BJ26 using fan cooling and water cooling on the FX PRO I just bought, with 14 cell 4500 nimh. I will use a seperate UBEC with ammo 2300 and what prop should I use? What kinda warranty will I get if it poofs?

Ub Hauled
10-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Rockwerks,
that is a great thing for you to do... braking the ice of the Tekin people...
thanks for doing that.... keep us posted.

TekinTeamMngr
10-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey,

I'm not too worried about the 14 cells. As long as you use the seperate BEC you should be fine. Worse case scenario I would expect it to overheat if you ran it for awhile and the fan was insufficient.

The esc should thermal and shut down. It shouldn't go poof. Keep me updated as to what you find and if there is a problem, shoot me an email.

Rpike@teamtekin.com

SJFE
10-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Rock start out with a x438 and go from there.

rockwerks
10-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Rock start out with a x438 and go from there.

I have just ordered one.............waiting for batteries LOL:w00t:

Xzessperated
10-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey guys,

Hi Randy,
I do not know how I have missed this thread for so long but a belated welcome to you. Great to see manufacturers offer up help and listen to what we say so we can end up with better products and better service.
I wonder if you have looked at and tested the range of esc's that Castle Creations produce for FE boats. If you can come up with a better product and we can get some healthy competition going between you and Castle, then us boaters will be the winners.
I know from reading on another forum that you are going to go out to watch what we put our esc's through at the pond and I commend you for that. At present we have to spend big money to get a controller that can actually be used as a speed controller. Most of us have to use them more like an on/off switch because they soon heat up at intermediate speeds.
Thanks for coming and talking with the FE boating community.
Paddy

Ub Hauled
11-10-2008, 04:53 AM
Im giving this a shot.

Im going to rebuild my BJ26 using fan cooling and water cooling on the FX PRO I just bought, with 14 cell 4500 nimh. I will use a seperate UBEC with ammo 2300 and what prop should I use? What kinda warranty will I get if it poofs?

How did it turn out man? We are all curious here!:thumbup1:

rockwerks
11-10-2008, 10:18 AM
not running yet, found some issues with the hull that need repair

ron Olson
11-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I just hope that you're not the very rude Tekin Rep that I met years ago in Chicago at the RCHTA show (now iHobby). That guy was a total jerk. I first ran into him while waiting in line to get something to eat and he had the audacity to cut in line like he was someone special. I then tried to talk to him later about a top-of-the-line ESC that I had bought which was giving me problems and he didn't want to hear about. I've probably still got that piece of junk sitting downstairs somewhere.

As long as this thread has stayed here I'm guessing that Steve has allowed it.

Ub Hauled
01-19-2009, 03:38 AM
So guys, any reports on the use of the Tekin ESCs on boats?

Randy, how is that 1/8th ESC coming along?!
Don't forget to make the water cooling plates! :smile:

Boatman
01-20-2009, 06:01 PM
So guys, any reports on the use of the Tekin ESCs on boats?

Randy, how is that 1/8th ESC coming along?!
Don't forget to make the water cooling plates! :smile:

:popcorn2: I tell ya what though back in the day they made an awesome watercooled esc that handled 3 brushed motors on 12 cells. I hope they can bring it back with new brushless technology.

ice329
01-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Team Tekin, A little tribute...little O/T but Back in the day we all had pretty hot buggies. I had the fastest. You had a speed contol out that was more expensive then most others but someone wisperd in my ear.. this one...shhhh.. being the way I am I took it.. my car blew away most any buggies it encountered. Your esc it was black and gold if I remeber right with NO reverse. it was one of my major secrets. Thanks...hehhe