PDA

View Full Version : Water cooling leaks !

mcwho
05-25-2007, 01:30 AM
Fairly New boat, SuperVee 27, only been out 2 times, there is water getting inside, I am assuming it is the water cooling hoses, or specifically the jacket around the motor. All the hoses seem to be connected ok. Will have to test by forcing water thru rear hose and check for leaks.

ANyone have cooling system leaks like this, should i consider one of those autobailers or could there be a hull leak somewhere?

would durabond be something i should consider ?

Jeepers
05-25-2007, 01:43 AM
first off what kind of boat do you have? Do you tape your hatch down, if not that would be the biggest culprit, second make sure you grease the drive shaft GOOD, as alot of water can come up thru the stuffing tube. do the bath tub test, set the boat up as you would run it (minus electronics), and hold it under water, look for air bubbles, then what I like to do is put some weight in it and let float for a while making sure no water seeps through the hardware mounting screws.

mcwho
05-25-2007, 02:09 AM
Its a superVee 27 i will do some water hose testing !

mcwho
05-25-2007, 03:22 AM
Tested it today, the water is seeping out from under the motor water cooling jacket. disconnected hose form rudder pickup, When blowing water into the hose most came out the side hull exit fitting.

Some was leaking out from the motor water jacket.

this does not give me a warm feeling !

Am I supposed to glue the water jacket into place ?

Rex R
05-25-2007, 03:40 AM
basicaly thats what I did. used some aquarium cement and a toothpick to run a small bead of it round the motor/jacket joint(cleaned it 1st with denat alky)

Fast Guy
05-25-2007, 06:14 AM
Remove the cooling jacket from the motor and check the edges where it seats to to the motor can for bits of flasing. While you have it off turn it inside out and check the passage ways for flashing also. On one of our SuperVees the passage ways were almost all pluged. Once you get it all the flashing cleaned up reinstall the cooling jacket and squeeze around the edges to get them to seat. You shouldn't need glue. Both of our SuperVees do not leak.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/NitroFlash/RC%20Cars/SuperVee01.jpg

Jeepers
05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Remove the cooling jacket from the motor and check the edges where it seats to to the motor can for bits of flasing. While you have it off turn it inside out and check the passage ways for flashing also. On one of our SuperVees the passage ways were almost all pluged. Once you get it all the flashing cleaned up reinstall the cooling jacket and squeeze around the edges to get them to seat. You shouldn't need glue. Both of our SuperVees do not leak.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/NitroFlash/RC%20Cars/SuperVee01.jpg
this seems common with the SV27 water jacket, with your pick this makes 5 that I have seen that only had one hole open

SJFE
05-25-2007, 06:59 PM
My suggestion is the OSE water jacket upgrade. I was lucky and ran across the SV thread on RCU after reading about the factory jacket, I never even put my SV in the water untill I got OSE unit..

Jeepers
05-25-2007, 07:27 PM
on the stock SV27 cooling jacket I cleaned up, I just used a high speed cutting bit on my dremel, turned on high, and carefully removed the flashing, took about 3 min to do, noticed an immediate temperature drop once back on the boat!:cool:

Mich. Maniac
05-25-2007, 09:36 PM
I fully agree with sjfe however some applications are impossible to run the ose jacket. I simply wiped silicone sealant on motor and slid on jacket. once I did that I wiped slicone on other end and slid jacket the other way. both sides have a perfect bead of 30 year high temp silicone now and under pressure test I have full confidence in it.