PDA

View Full Version : ***NEW**** Pro Boat Voracity 36" Mono!!

Pages : [1] 2

Darin Jordan
07-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Guys and Gals,

THIS is the one I've been biting my tongue over for the past several months!

Rafael and the Gang at Pro Boat have REALLY stepped it up! I've tested this boat extensively and it TOTALLY FREAKING ROCKS!

You have GOT to check this out!!

Sorry... I know I'm sounding like a "homer", but this fills a void in the market that I have felt has been there for some time.

The hull design REALLY works well at this size, and the power system is great.

Give it a look!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/voracity-type-e-rtr-36-inch-brushless-deep-prb08018

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/horizonhobby/PRB08018_b0?wid=1400&hei=778

revoltrunner
07-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Looks like a winner Darin

T.S.Davis
07-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Sweet! This is the mark that Traxxas totally missed.

Interesting strakes on this one. Looks dead on in the shot from the front.

kfxguy
07-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Here's your upsized impulse 31. Now there is no reason to buy a spartan! This is a bad dude!

Doby
07-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Price?

How does the lack of a wet well affect adjustability of the strut?

kfxguy
07-02-2015, 10:28 AM
Price?

How does the lack of a wet well affect adjustability of the strut?

It's listed on the site as $529. Brass bends fairly easy and it looks like it has an adjustable strut

Doby
07-02-2015, 10:37 AM
I did see the adjustable strut.

Luck as a Constant
07-02-2015, 11:22 AM
Adjustable strut or not, with no well, what can you really adjust other then a little positive or negative angle.
It's not really gonna go up or down.
The strut just holds the tube and prop in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rafael_Lopez
07-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Hi everyone! Darin thanks for making this thread and all of your help in being part of the Pro Boat Team. The Pro Boat Team isn't just us, within Horizon Hobby. It's every tester we have out there who provides use the necessary data through extensive testing to help make our products better.

The strut doesn't need to be adjusted up or down. It's placed at the boat's ideal position or depth. No different than most the boats built by most model boaters

.The strut angle is adjustable, without being overly loose or needing to bend the tube. In the picture below it is almost 3* which is more than the boat will ever need. It's loose with more than 2*, but gets upwards of 52mph, with good LiPos, on 6s. The videos are being loaded. We'll post the web promotion video soon and they are working on loading one of my many, unedited, 52 mph runs on 6s. Honestly, this boat is just fun regardless of speed claims or any of that stuff. I think customers will be very pleased with its performance and handling, over all.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/jAndrew/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmxk7mawn.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jAndrew/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsmxk7mawn.jpg.html)

Luck as a Constant
07-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Can't wait to see the vids.
Nice looking boat.

Mike McAllister
07-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Here is the Video Guys...

https://youtu.be/389pNmFp5JM

Doby
07-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the explanation Rafael, I was just wondering why you went away from it after being used on the 31" Impulse.

Sweet looking boat, are the graphics stickers or painted?

kfxguy
07-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Adjustable strut or not, with no well, what can you really adjust other then a little positive or negative angle.
It's not really gonna go up or down.
The strut just holds the tube and prop in place.

What's the difference in this and what 95% of the people on here do....they put a stinger on their mono and that only allows angle adjustment too...no? Just no bling bling.....iirc you had a stinger on yours that only allow angle adjustment.....like most everyone else that builds a boat. :)

T.S.Davis
07-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Wet well schmet well. None of my mono have a wet well. Don't over think it guys.

This appears to be an honest to goodness 6s RTR. I see zero down side to this. Can't wait for them to start showing up at the local puddles. Maybe we'll see a surge of 6s racers. How cool would that be?

Luck as a Constant
07-02-2015, 11:47 AM
What's the difference in this and what 95% of the people on here do....they put a stinger on their mono and that only allows angle adjustment too...no? Just no bling bling.....iirc you had a stinger on yours that only allow angle adjustment.....like most everyone else that builds a boat.

I have no idea man. I've built most of my boats with the stinger drives and they have worked just fine.
I did one df 26 with a wet well and strut, and really didn't find the need for all that adjustment up and down. I've only found a smal adjustment in the angle has been all I've ever needed.

Rafael_Lopez
07-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Doby, trim scheme is decals, no clear. You don't like them and have young kid, like my 7 year old, they're happy to peel them off if you ask. Sometimes, if you don't ask, lo!

shua
07-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Any provision for a "break away" rudder?

Darin Jordan
07-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Wet well schmet well. None of my mono have a wet well. Don't over think it guys.

This appears to be an honest to goodness 6s RTR. I see zero down side to this. Can't wait for them to start showing up at the local puddles. Maybe we'll see a surge of 6s racers. How cool would that be?

Exactly, Terry. On pretty much EVERY mono I have, once I set the strut where it's supposed to be, I NEVER touch it again. Everything else is done with tabs, rudder angle, and battery placement.

It's a nice feature if you plan on changing prop diameters a lot, but to actually make the boat perform, it's not necessary if the strut is in the right place to begin with.

I ran my test sample with props ranging from stock to X450/3 on 6S (don't try this at home... contacts got a LITTLE :flammes-09: )... and I never once thought to myself "gee... I sure wish I had a wet-well stuffing tube.

Focus on what IS there! Racing aside, THIS is the size of "recreational RC Mono" that is about ideal. Still fits in the car, but is much more forgiving of water conditions.

Also, We tested this extensively on 4S as well. Definitely slower, but you can run and run and run and run and the boat probably is running around 40-42mph, is stable, and returns to shore!

kfxguy
07-02-2015, 11:59 AM
I have no idea man. I've built most of my boats with the stinger drives and they have worked just fine.
I did one df 26 with a wet well and strut, and really didn't find the need for all that adjustment up and down. I've only found a smal adjustment in the angle has been all I've ever needed.

You know that you could chop off part of the tube and slide a nice stinger on over it, right? Just an idea

T.S.Davis
07-02-2015, 12:03 PM
The more I look at the more pleased I am. It's actually 6s sized. Not 29" with maniacs throwing in 6s. Huge grin. Thank you. Simple hardware. Nothing too bling to drive the cost out of reach. You can bash on your local pond or with the right prop it's a race boat.

Also has a Fynch Wildthing quality to it. If that was the inspiration nice job. Love my Wildthings.

I'd run one.

Luck as a Constant
07-02-2015, 12:04 PM
You know that you could chop off part of the tube and slide a nice stinger on over it, right? Just an idea

Sure, no reason you couldn't do that if you wanted to.
I'm not saying anything against the strut setup proboat has done. It's just fine. Personally I wouldn't touch it.

The strut with no wet well is no more adjustable than having a stinger. Which is find imo
I think when people see a strut on a mono, they automatically assume it's there for up and down adjustment. Was just sharing my thoughts on it is all

Darin Jordan
07-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Boat hasn't even hit the shelves yet and people are wanting to lop off struts, etc... You guys crack me up! :beerchug: :popcorn2:

T.S.Davis
07-02-2015, 12:06 PM
haha Maybe this could be the Q offshore I mentioned in the Michigan Cup thread that my son wants. Too many boats already at my house.

Luck as a Constant
07-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Boat hasn't even hit the shelves yet and people are wanting to lop off struts, etc... You guys crack me up! :beerchug: :popcorn2:

Haha no man. I got out of boats recently, so I'm just here talking.
Although I still have two 6s packs and an icharger nobody has bought, And I seperated my shoulder on my mountain bike recently so I can't ride for a while, who knows, maybe I'll pick one up -)

kfxguy
07-02-2015, 12:20 PM
Sure, no reason you couldn't do that if you wanted to.
I'm not saying anything against the strut setup proboat has done. It's just fine. Personally I wouldn't touch it.

The strut with no wet well is no more adjustable than having a stinger. Which is find imo
I think when people see a strut on a mono, they automatically assume it's there for up and down adjustment. Was just sharing my thoughts on it is all

Agreed. It's fine the way it is. Was just an idea if you wanted to have some adjustment with a turnbuckle. Would be snazzy. A strut with a wet well is only needed if your trying to squeeze every last mph out of it. So I think this way it's set up will do for the masses.

Luck as a Constant
07-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Def seems like proboat has listened and made a boat that is everything the Spartan could have been but wasn't.

Makes me curious what Aquacraft has been up to. They've been quite for a while now

Darin Jordan
07-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Agreed. It's fine the way it is. Was just an idea if you wanted to have some adjustment with a turnbuckle. Would be snazzy. A strut with a wet well is only needed if your trying to squeeze every last mph out of it. So I think this way it's set up will do for the masses.

There is almost nothing you can do with strut adjustment that can't be done with selecting and tweaking on the correct prop. Just sayin'... :thumbup1:

kfxguy
07-02-2015, 12:57 PM
There is almost nothing you can do with strut adjustment that can't be done with selecting and tweaking on the correct prop. Just sayin'... :thumbup1:

I'm not saying I would chop it and put a stinger on it. I was making a point because something was said about not being able to adjust it. The point was, most people run a stinger that allows no up and down movement....which is the same as this...just looks different.

T.S.Davis
07-02-2015, 01:18 PM
I would love to know why guys are sliding their struts a 1/2" with these giant wet wells. Know what your doing and mount it once. Just say'n.

When are these supposed to hit stores Darin?

Darin Jordan
07-02-2015, 01:21 PM
When are these supposed to hit stores Darin?

I was told they were 5-7 days from being "on the boat" and about 5-weeks from being "in-stock". Looking like Mid-August.

Pro Boat has updated their business model a bit and are waiting to announce these things until they are SURE that production units have been tested and are ready to ship... Hopefully that means no more announcement in June that don't get delivered until Christmas. :)

Rafael_Lopez
07-02-2015, 01:30 PM
I was told they were 5-7 days from being "on the boat" and about 5-weeks from being "in-stock". Looking like Mid-August.

Pro Boat has updated their business model a bit and are waiting to announce these things until they are SURE that production units have been tested and are ready to ship... Hopefully that means no more announcement in June that don't get delivered until Christmas. :)
Yes, yes and yes, I mean no! Boats now get announced a week before they ship so we are 100% on schedule unless something happens with the shipping vessel.

Xtreme Thunder
07-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Glad I waited!

Two days ago I just found out that Pro Boat released the Impulse 31 v3 and was totally impressed by the updates! I almost pulled the trigger, until someone mentioned there was more to come in that thread and that Pro Boat could neither confirm or deny if a boat in the 34-38" range was being announced. Well, in "Engineering Land", I know what that means...usually, 99.9% of the time, there is something to wait for!

Well, again, I am late, however, only by less than 6 hours this time as I received an e-mail from Horizon Hobby this afternoon and had to pull the work vehicle over to check out the two boats that were listed! At the time, the Pro Boat site wasn't even updated, however, at this time it is and this is the prefect size for me personally.

My only gripe, yup, we are a tough crowd,... apparently,...and would have loved to see a different color scheme, but nothing some custom graphics can't fix! I will say, the blue hull color is good though...

Excellent job, this really fills the void in the size, component, material usage and overall package value compared to other offerings on the market as I have been doing research for over a year now!

Xtreme Thunder
07-02-2015, 01:55 PM
...dang,...the Pre-Order link isn't active yet...:frusty::censored::swear:

Doby
07-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Doby, trim scheme is decals, no clear. You don't like them and have young kid, like my 7 year old, they're happy to peel them off if you ask. Sometimes, if you don't ask, lo!

Excellent, so this could be stripped down to a simple blue hull...hmmmm.....

Rafael_Lopez
07-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Guys, sorry for the delay. The pre order button should be working now.

Doby
07-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Nice to have a RTR Q Mono.....Will they be available without a TX/RX?

Whats the diameter of the flex?

Rafael_Lopez
07-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Some Key features that usually don't make it to the web.

2 pins for the canopy.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/jAndrew/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfck2tjxt.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jAndrew/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfck2tjxt.jpg.html)

5mm, abs plate to reinforce transom. No wood at all in this hull.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/jAndrew/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswnocjfwh.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jAndrew/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswnocjfwh.jpg.html)

Production boats will have a thumb screw instead of a spring loaded twist lock.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/jAndrew/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskrgjuk9v.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jAndrew/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskrgjuk9v.jpg.html)

Rafael_Lopez
07-02-2015, 02:58 PM
Nice to have a RTR Q Mono.....Will they be available without a TX/RX

Whats the diameter of the flex?
As of right now, no plans for a BND.

Drive cable is 4.7mm(.187). No need to upgrade.

Xtreme Thunder
07-02-2015, 03:25 PM

I just checked again at 3:20pm EST and the link is still inactive at the moment.

:popcorn2:

-Joe

Brushless55
07-02-2015, 09:12 PM

Great Job !!!!!!!!!!!! :bowdown:

Rafael_Lopez
07-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Out testing at Legg lake today and met a gentlemen by the name of Jim Johnson. After chatting it up for 1/2 the day, I disclosed that I worked for HH and busted out the Voracity. I asked him to look at it and tell me his thoughts and I explained that the boat had just been announced today. He was very interested but a bit weary about what I was saying the boat could do. I asked if he wanted to get behind the wheel. His comment was I'm amazed how well this thing handles and how everyting works together so well. I cant believe this is an RTR boat."
https://youtu.be/jvtWbthF5ho

Brushless55
07-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Cool !!

Pedro Ramos
07-02-2015, 11:41 PM
good job at the guys of pro boat!!!
I can believe some much negativity is in the air stinger this decals that!!!
How about is RTR and it will kick the spartan butt!
if you don't like it, don't buy it, it feels like a kindergarten with so much wa wa wa.
IS READY TO RUN!!!!!!!
Go ahead and find something better?
again good job for a rtr boat is looks great!!!

Luck as a Constant
07-02-2015, 11:48 PM
if you don't like it, don't buy it, it feels like a kindergarten with so much wa wa wa.
IS READY TO RUN!!!!!!!

We are just talking openly about the boat and its features.
That's what forums are for.
Nobody is crying about it except you crying about us discussing it.
Don't insult us Pedro.

Doby
07-03-2015, 08:28 AM
IS READY TO RUN!!!!!!!

I wasn't aware we could not ask questions about a new product...:blink::olleyes:

Xtreme Thunder
07-03-2015, 09:04 AM
...dang,...the Pre-Order link isn't active yet...:frusty::censored::swear:

I just checked again at 3:20pm EST and the link is still inactive at the moment.

:popcorn2:

-Joe

The Pre-Order link is now active this morning! :sold:

FYI: Horizon Hobby is running their July 4th free shipping on orders over $99, in addition, if you are resourceful like myself, you can easily find a Horizon Hobby 10% off coupon code valid until 07/20/2015! :patriot:

$476.99 shipped...now it will be a waiting game!

bigcam406
07-03-2015, 09:20 AM
Out testing at Legg lake today and met a gentlemen by the name of Jim Johnson. After chatting it up for 1/2 the day, I disclosed that I worked for HH and busted out the Voracity. I asked him to look at it and tell me his thoughts and I explained that the boat had just been announced today. He was very interested but a bit weary about what I was saying the boat could do. I asked if he wanted to get behind the wheel. His comment was I'm amazed how well this thing handles and how everyting works together so well. I cant believe this is an RTR boat."
https://youtu.be/jvtWbthF5ho

nice job guys! first impression was positive,liked the running gear.video was impressive as well.my only gripe is all these new boats look generic(im talking mono hulls from Proboat,Aquacraft Traxxas).they all have the same characteristcs looks wise,nothing distinct other than the colors and stickers.kind of boring if you ask me. i am impressed with the performance of the boat though,judging by the video,looks like Proboat hit a home run with this one.i'll take the running gear out of this one and throw it in my Fastech that way i'll have the best of both worlds....

Luck as a Constant
07-03-2015, 09:29 AM
^ so much wrong

bigcam406
07-03-2015, 10:08 AM
^ so much wrong

care to elaborate?

Luck as a Constant
07-03-2015, 10:12 AM
care to elaborate?

Maybe you should elaborate?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you plan on taking running gear off the voracity and putting it on a fastech?

bigcam406
07-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Maybe you should elaborate?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you plan on taking running gear off the voracity and putting it on a fastech?

take the running gear from the Verocity and install it in my Fastech.meaning buying the motor and esc separately and installing it in my Fastech.i plan on running it on 4s.that better?

Luck as a Constant
07-03-2015, 10:41 AM
I thought you meant putting the rudder, tabs, fins etc on the fastech.
Regardless, seems like overkill putting that motor in a fastech. But to each his own man.

bigcam406
07-03-2015, 10:43 AM
I thought you meant putting the rudder, tabs, fins etc on the fastech.
Regardless, seems like overkill putting that motor in a fastech. But to each his own man.

wont be overkill on 4s.6s,yes,it would be overkill.

Luck as a Constant
07-03-2015, 10:45 AM
There are so many more affordable 4s options for the fastech, why chose the voracity motor/esc combo?

bigcam406
07-03-2015, 10:47 AM
torque

Luck as a Constant
07-03-2015, 10:54 AM
Well then, hopefully it works out and you find all that un needed power and torque useful in that small hull.
I would save my money but to each his own

Pedro Ramos
07-03-2015, 11:23 AM
it looks that you are the boat guru and your trying so hard to defend your point of view, chill, everyone is has a different point of view. If you feel insulted, well is not my intensions, like you said the forum is to "openly" talk about boats etc.
Again check yourself bcd everyone does not has the same opinion as you.
Any ways, Happy 4th to everyone!!!

We are just talking openly about the boat and its features.
That's what forums are for.
Nobody is crying about it except you crying about us discussing it.
Don't insult us Pedro.

Luck as a Constant
07-03-2015, 11:37 AM
it looks that you are the boat guru and your trying so hard to defend your point of view, chill, everyone is has a different point of view. If you feel insulted, well is not my intensions, like you said the forum is to "openly" talk about boats etc.
Again check yourself bcd everyone does not has the same opinion as you.
Any ways, Happy 4th to everyone!!!

Whatever Pedro. You lost me bro.
I dunno where I was stating my opinion as fact about anything to do with this boat.

Luck as a Constant
07-03-2015, 11:41 AM
I wasn't aware we could not ask questions about a new product...:blink::olleyes:

I dunno what Pedro is talking about....
Apparently I'm coming off like a know it all somewhere in our discussion about the boat. I'm soooo lost on that one . As far as I knew we were having a nice civil discussion in here for once.
"Shrug"

Doby
07-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Hi Rafael:

What is the transom doubler made out of? Looks like white plastic.

rcdad2
07-03-2015, 05:19 PM
I've been seeing videos of Traxxas Spartans doing 70. I can't wait for pro boat fans to get their hands on this gem. Kinda makes me sorry I just dumped a load of cash on upgrades to my impulse v2.

kfxguy
07-03-2015, 05:23 PM
I've been seeing videos of Traxxas Spartans doing 70. I can't wait for pro boat fans to get their hands on this gem. Kinda makes me sorry I just dumped a load of cash on upgrades to my impulse v2.

I'm pretty sure this boat will exceed that.

Luck as a Constant
07-03-2015, 05:26 PM
Hi Rafael:

What is the transom doubler made out of? Looks like white plastic.

I think I saw somewhere he says its 5mm abs

ray schrauwen
07-03-2015, 08:36 PM
Yes, ABS.

Nice boat.

I'm hoping that some people try to refrain from doo - dooing in this thread. Boat looks killer so no need for any dog doo.

TheShaughnessy
07-04-2015, 04:24 PM
If Jim Johnson complimented it that is a feat in itself. Jim isn't new to rc boating by any stretch of the imagination. A very opinionated seasoned racer I would say. Seems like all i's are dotted and t's crossed. Maybe q class is the solution to p ltd racing. But that is neither here nor there

montymike
07-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Wow end of season for us Michigan guys... Home run...

Rafael_Lopez
07-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Transom is backed with 5mm ABS. I didn't want anything porous in the boat that could take in water and expand. This seemed like the best solution.

Here is a short 6s "bash" session from last Thursdays testing. I hit something with my right turn fin so the boat started skipping a bit in tight right hand turns. It becomes noticeable around :27.
https://youtu.be/3271LgfcCLc

Xtreme Thunder
07-06-2015, 05:34 PM
Transom is backed with 5mm ABS. I didn't want anything porous in the boat that could take in water and expand. This seemed like the best solution.

Here is a short 6s "bash" session from last Thursdays testing. I hit something with my right turn fin so the boat started skipping a bit in tight right hand turns. It becomes noticeable around :27.

Great run!

What were the specs of the batteries you were running, i.e. capacity? I am in the process of ordering some batteries for this boat, but would like to know the run times you were achieving with those types of runs. Been years since I have been in the R/C hobby, mainly did the 1/10 scale trucks and buggys in the early-late 90's, but battery and motor technology has come along way, plus the boats tend to be more power demanding etc.

Pedro Ramos
07-07-2015, 12:56 AM
Rafael you guys hit this one out of the park! Poor traxxas people...lol
You guys should rename it the spartan killer!!! lol

T.S.Davis
07-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Tangent.

Darin, I noticed this comes with an SR310 receiver. Is this the "go to" rx for a the Spektrum these days? Running out of MR200's and some of my 3000's are from 2009. The end is near for them me thinks.

Darin Jordan
07-07-2015, 09:37 AM
Tangent.

Darin, I noticed this comes with an SR310 receiver. Is this the "go to" rx for a the Spektrum these days? Running out of MR200's and some of my 3000's are from 2009. The end is near for them me thinks.

I have found that the SR310, SR410, etc., actually have a LONGER range than the MR series. They are also "water-resistant", and the fancier versions (SR4210 I think, etc.) support AVC.

So, YES, I'd say it's these are solid.

I think the MR series has been, or will soon be, discontinued. Marine market is just too small to provide a solid business case for a Marine Specific RX.

T.S.Davis
07-07-2015, 09:53 AM
I've seen guys running the cheapo 201 version too. No issues yet but made me nervous just watching.

Just wanted your 2 cents.

The marine units were "water resistant" but they worked submerged. I'm thinking the new units are a tic less "resistant".

Darin Jordan
07-07-2015, 10:03 AM
I'm thinking the new units are a tic less "resistant".

I would actually say they are more-so...

revoltrunner
07-08-2015, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the video.

Rafael_Lopez
07-08-2015, 01:43 PM
Here is another video I was unaware that we had uploaded already. "This is how we do it during testing":tongue:

https://youtu.be/zKKTryJdASw

bigcam406
07-08-2015, 02:47 PM
nice lake. just wondering how the hull performs in rougher waters. thanks.

Rafael_Lopez
07-08-2015, 03:05 PM
It really depends on the voltage you are running and where you place the batteries. We ran it at a different lake when it was nearly white capped but had to move the batteries all the way forward to keep it planted, on 6s. Really too fast for the conditions. 5s seems more manageable for rough water and is still very fun.

This lake in the video is well protected from wind and never gets more than maybe 2-4" "waves" or ripples. It does well in those conditions which is what you would experience running with other boats, churning up the water.

bigcam406
07-08-2015, 03:42 PM
It really depends on the voltage you are running and where you place the batteries. We ran it at a different lake when it was nearly white capped but had to move the batteries all the way forward to keep it planted, on 6s. Really too fast for the conditions. 5s seems more manageable for rough water and is still very fun.

This lake in the video is well protected from wind and never gets more than maybe 2-4" "waves" or ripples. It does well in those conditions which is what you would experience running with other boats, churning up the water.

thanks for the reply.i was just wondering because the body of water where im located is Lake Ontario,which doesnt get that calm too often during summer months.usually,when it is calm,there might be a 1-2" chop at the most.thats when its only an opportune time to run my boats.looks like the Voracity hull could handle that no problem.thanks again.

Darin Jordan
07-08-2015, 03:53 PM
thanks for the reply.i was just wondering because the body of water where im located is Lake Ontario,which doesnt get that calm too often during summer months.usually,when it is calm,there might be a 1-2" chop at the most.thats when its only an opportune time to run my boats.looks like the Voracity hull could handle that no problem.thanks again.

One of my comments to Rafael while testing the samples of this boat were that it's "Perfect for NORMAL water conditions"... In other words, the typical, slightly choppy or otherwise mildly rough conditions really seemed to suit it. Water doesn't have to be glass, not for normal FUN running anyhow.

T.S.Davis
07-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Unless you're running SAWs water like glass is boring.

Rafael_Lopez
07-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Totally agree with Darin and T.S. Davis

The reason we decided to use that video was because now days the first question a potential customer will ask is "how fast is it", lol.

As I mentioned up top, I like mine on 5s. 3s on the left and 2s on the right.

Darin Jordan
07-08-2015, 04:42 PM
As I mentioned up top, I like mine on 5s. 3s on the left and 2s on the right.

I haven't tested using 5S, but based on what I know of this package, I'm guessing that I could find 50+ on 5S with a little prop selection and tweaking. Maybe faster.

Rafael_Lopez
07-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Agreed. Dropping down in voltage frees up amperage, which allows for a wider prop selection.

Chizzy240
07-09-2015, 12:41 AM
I'm trying to decide between a voracity 36 and an impulse 31 V3. Can someone explain the pros/cons of each?

skeeler
07-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Can those of you who have experience with 36-inch mono-hulls suggest a good prop for running this boat on 6S LiPo or 6S LiFeO4 (19.8 V nominal)?

skeeler
07-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Rafael or Darin, do you have a photo of the Voracity with an Impulse 31 or BJ/Geico 29 to show the size difference?

Rafael_Lopez
07-09-2015, 12:33 PM
I'm trying to decide between a voracity 36 and an impulse 31 V3. Can someone explain the pros/cons of each?
From my personal opinion:
The Impulse is a bit more maneuverable because it's smaller. Think Lotus Elise VS Lambo
The Voracity is faster out of the box.
The Voracity will handle rougher water better than the Impulse because f their size difference. This factors in when ruining in large bodies of water.
Power to weight, the Impulse 31 has more room to prop up on 6s.
The motor in the Voracity is a lower KV so on lower voltage you could prop it higher and possibly be at the same speed you would be on 6S without the need for HV.
The Impulse is easier to throw in your trunk, if your can has a trunk, lol.
One is black and one is blue. :tongue:

Can those of you who have experience with 36-inch mono-hulls suggest a good prop for running this boat on 6S LiPo or 6S LiFeO4 (19.8 V nominal)?
The boat comes with the equivalent to an X645. In my personal opinion, you may have better luck with a slightly smaller prop that has been performance tuned. You'd be amazed what some people can do with a really well tuned prop.

Rafael or Darin, do you have a photo of the Voracity with an Impulse 31 or BJ/Geico 29 to show the size difference?
I'll snap one here shortly and post it.

johnf
07-09-2015, 12:39 PM
I'll snap one here shortly and post it.

If you could get a couple shots from different angles that would be awesome. Interested in the size next to the MG if one is on hand.

skeeler
07-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Rafael, thank you for your quick response.

Rafael_Lopez
07-09-2015, 01:24 PM
MG29 V3, IM31 V3, and one of my test sample V-36
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/jAndrew/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswrhfuryg.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jAndrew/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswrhfuryg.jpg.html)

Doby
07-09-2015, 01:29 PM
I like the naked blue.....would look great with black and white checkers!

Rafael_Lopez
07-09-2015, 02:35 PM
LOL @ naked blue. :D

revoltrunner
07-09-2015, 02:45 PM
I like the naked blue.....would look great with black and white checkers!

LOL @ naked blue. :D

I think she worked at the Beenery Lounge in Windsor....LOL

kfxguy
07-09-2015, 03:10 PM
How many product developers with take the time and lay out boats for you and take pics and post them on a forum? Not many! They will be making great strides with this guy in charge!

Darin Jordan
07-09-2015, 03:14 PM
How many product developers with take the time and lay out boats for you and take pics and post them on a forum? Not many! They will be making great strides with this guy in charge!

I DO know at least one other Pro Boat consultant/developer that has done that as well... as well as taken all the crap and heat you guys can dish out! :tiphat:

OH, and he wasn't/isn't getting paid to do it... :tt2:

T.S.Davis
07-09-2015, 03:22 PM
I think she worked at the Beenery Lounge in Windsor....LOL

Probably Biscos.

kfxguy
07-09-2015, 03:25 PM
I DO know at least one other Pro Boat consultant/developer that has done that as well... as well as taken all the crap and heat you guys can dish out! :tiphat:

Darin you do an excellent job too! You do bring a lot to the table also! :tiphat:

Doby
07-09-2015, 03:36 PM

Oh come on...I've seen pics of you and Grimm in driving around in Limos sponsored by ProBoat and AQ.

Darin Jordan
07-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Oh come on...I've seen pics of you and Grimm in driving around in Limos sponsored by ProBoat and AQ.

Grimm has a Corvette... But then, he's actually worth it! :thumbup1:

Jamey
07-09-2015, 04:09 PM
So this puppy has a real motor, a genuine 40 x 82mm. Nice! What does the Spartan have? 3674?

Chizzy240
07-09-2015, 04:37 PM
From my personal opinion:
The Impulse is a bit more maneuverable because it's smaller. Think Lotus Elise VS Lambo
The Voracity is faster out of the box.
The Voracity will handle rougher water better than the Impulse because f their size difference. This factors in when ruining in large bodies of water.
Power to weight, the Impulse 31 has more room to prop up on 6s.
The motor in the Voracity is a lower KV so on lower voltage you could prop it higher and possibly be at the same speed you would be on 6S without the need for HV.
The Impulse is easier to throw in your trunk, if your can has a trunk, lol.
One is black and one is blue. :tongue:

Thanks Rafael for taking the time to answer questions honestly and posting pictures, you could easily ignore us forum people and go on with your day, thanks for going the extra mile I really appreciate it!! you just made a new customer to Pro Boat:thumbup:

Doby
07-09-2015, 04:37 PM
The Spartan has a plastic hull...doesn't matter whats inside.

T.S.Davis
07-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Thanks Rafael for taking the time to answer questions honestly and posting pictures, you could easily ignore us forum people and go on with your day, thanks for going the extra mile I really appreciate it!! you just made a new customer to Pro Boat:thumbup:

Amen. That's great stuff.

Okay Darin, now you need to get him to some races. haha We'll throw a tent up for him at the next Cup race.

The Spartan was a great idea with great lines and horrible execution.

montymike
07-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Don't get me wrong sweet boat we are the voice of the sport

Doby
07-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Hmmm...makes me wonder if AQ will bring something similar to market.:spy:

Rafael_Lopez
07-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Amen. That's great stuff.

Okay Darin, now you need to get him to some races. haha We'll throw a tent up for him at the next Cup race.

The Spartan was a great idea with great lines and horrible execution.

I have the desire to get out and race. What I don't have is the time to do so:frusty:

Thank you to everyone for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Darin has done a great job helping Pro Boat get to the point to where we picked it up from. We still require his help and appreciate his input while in development. He's still very actively helping behind the scenes, especially with testing. I make sure to send him pictures and CAD files of what I'm working on and he usually just sends me back drooling smileys.:drool:

ChevyPrerunner
07-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Very cool boat ProBoat, can't wait to pick one up it will be an awesome addition at a HDV Saturdays...

skeeler
07-09-2015, 09:04 PM
I notice that the Voracity's hull is shaped a bit differently from the Impulse's. There's less (scale) freeboard, and the tip of the nose doesn't have the same vertical edge. Can I ask why it was done this way? Does this affect the performance of the vehicle, perhaps by lowering the center of gravity, or is it merely a cosmetic change?

Rafael_Lopez
07-09-2015, 09:56 PM
It's just a cosmetic difference.

montymike
07-09-2015, 10:46 PM
:biggrin:A 36 inch cat maybe..

Darin Jordan
07-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Hmmm...makes me wonder if AQ will bring something similar to market.:spy:

I'm not sure what AQ is up to. Mike Zaborowski (Grimracer) is no longer working for them, so I'm not sure what their status is at this point...

Darin Jordan
07-10-2015, 07:40 AM
I notice that the Voracity's hull is shaped a bit differently from the Impulse's. There's less (scale) freeboard, and the tip of the nose doesn't have the same vertical edge. Can I ask why it was done this way? Does this affect the performance of the vehicle, perhaps by lowering the center of gravity, or is it merely a cosmetic change?

It's just a cosmetic difference.

The geometry of the IM31 hull actually works better as the boat increases in dimension. It has an amount of lift appropriate for a 31" boat with limited power, and as you start increasing that power, it "loosens" up quite a bit.

As you grow the dimensions, however, you can push it to higher speeds before this occurs.

Or, to put all that more simply: It works better at 36" than it does at 31" (well... the keel line is actually only 29"... the overhang makes up the rest, so really 29").

I actually think a 44"-ish version for 8-10S or a Gas motor would really work well...

Darin has done a great job helping Pro Boat get to the point to where we picked it up from. We still require his help and appreciate his input while in development. He's still very actively helping behind the scenes, especially with testing. I make sure to send him pictures and CAD files of what I'm working on and he usually just sends me back drooling smileys.

Rafael usually catches me while I'm sleeping at my desk... which explains the drooling. :tongue_smilie:

NONE of this happens without Rafael, Scott, and the team down in Corona. I think their efforts have been amazing and if I've helped at all, I'm very happy to be a part of it all.

(OK... LOVE fest over... let's get back to talking BOATS! )

bigcam406
07-10-2015, 08:12 AM
everyone's hard work is very much appreciated.thanks for putting out great products.

Xtreme Thunder
07-10-2015, 09:21 AM
(OK... LOVE fest over... let's get back to talking BOATS! )

Haha!

My boat is on a boat, where are the boats?!

Rafael:

I posted an inquiry a page or two back, but it got ran over by the excitement! Anyway, the one video you posted it appeared you were running two 5000mAh/50C/3s LiPo in series. What type of run times were you achieving with those batteries? I know it all depends on how much on/off throttle, just a ball park would be great. That one video showed pretty hard running for 1 min before you brought it in to check speed; run times with that type of running is what I am after.

Rafael_Lopez
07-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Haha!

My boat is on a boat, where are the boats?!

Rafael:

I posted an inquiry a page or two back, but it got ran over by the excitement! Anyway, the one video you posted it appeared you were running two 5000mAh/50C/3s LiPo in series. What type of run times were you achieving with those batteries? I know it all depends on how much on/off throttle, just a ball park would be great. That one video showed pretty hard running for 1 min before you brought it in to check speed; run times with that type of running is what I am after.
Sorry I missed that.

Hard running, just under 4 minutes with the batteries coming back at 3.7-3.6v/cell with default cut off at 3.2v/cell. The LVC kicks in pretty early to protect the LiPos under hard running. I had testers report as high as 7 minutes of run time which I assume was not all hard running. You could get an extra 30-40 minutes by lowering to 3.0v/cell and LiPos come back at 3.0-3.1v/cell. Not worth it IMO.

T.S.Davis
07-10-2015, 09:56 AM
haha I'm guessing that's 30 to 40 seconds. 40 minutes would be awesome.

Doby
07-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Have you guts tried it with 6S2P? How is it with the added weight?

Doby
07-10-2015, 09:58 AM
haha I'm guessing that's 30 to 40 seconds. 40 minutes would be awesome.

Picture a 40 minute Q-Offshore heat!

Rafael_Lopez
07-10-2015, 10:08 AM
One more thing that I'd like to do is set expectations. Lately there has been a lot of debate with our 29 inch hulls and the temps of the motor connectors getting near 200*. If you run as hard as I do in my Voracity videos, which is honestly how I've always tested this boat, temperatures in the Voracity will be the following:
Motor-130-140* measured at the rear end bell, not the cooling sleeve.
ESC- 130-140* measured where power wires exit the ESC, not the cooling block.
Battery connectors-180-200* measured at the EC5s.
Motor connectors-200-230*
LiPos-120-130*
**Edit** These temps are with stock prop which is equivalent to Octura X645.

I run the recommended batteries and never puffed a single 50c pack. I did puff 2, Dynamite Reaction 5000mAH 30c packs running that way. My testers run their own batteries and none of them reported ruining any of their packs. They all reported at least 1, 50+mph run on 6s. We also only destroyed one ESC because timing was set at 15*, not the default which is 7.5*. I think the boat went over 60 for a few seconds, lol. The other incident we had was the motor connectors melted the solder with a 447/3 on 6s. We didn't burn up a single ESCs testing it under "normal" use. We didn't burn up any motors either.

I as the PD, and Horizon as the Company I represent, feel these temps are normal under the expected running conditions of 50+ on 6s, for this project. If these temps seem high, keep in mind we are dumping a minimum of 5000mAH @ 50c, 22.2v, through the electronics in under 4 continues minutes. Heat is to be expected on 6s, driving like I do in my videos; lead finger. Lower voltage and more conservative driving keep these temps lower.

Xtreme Thunder
07-10-2015, 10:31 AM
Sorry I missed that.

Hard running, just under 4 minutes with the batteries coming back at 3.7-3.6v/cell with default cut off at 3.2v/cell. The LVC kicks in pretty early to protect the LiPos under hard running. I had testers report as high as 7 minutes of run time which I assume was not all hard running. You could get an extra 30-40 minutes by lowering to 3.0v/cell and LiPos come back at 3.0-3.1v/cell. Not worth it IMO.

Thank you for the quick response, that is the information I needed. I expect to run more conservative, but always interested in 'worse case' scenarios and adjust for my personal preferences and needs.

Have you guts tried it with 6S2P? How is it with the added weight?

That is interesting, I was wondering the same thing.

One more thing that I'd like to do is set expectations. Lately there has been a lot of debate with our 29 inch hulls and the temps of the motor connectors getting near 200*. If you run as hard as I do in my Voracity videos, which is honestly how I've always tested this boat, temperatures in the Voracity will be the following:
Motor-130-140* measured at the rear end bell, not the cooling sleeve.
ESC- 130-140* measured where power wires exit the ESC, not the cooling block.
Battery connectors-180-200* measured at the EC5s.
Motor connectors-200-230*
LiPos-120-130*
**Edit** These temps are with stock prop which is equivalent to Octura X645.

I run the recommended batteries and never puffed a single 50c pack. I did puff 2, Dynamite Reaction 5000mAH 30c packs running that way. My testers run their own batteries and none of them reported ruining any of their packs. They all reported at least 1, 50+mph run on 6s. We also only destroyed one ESC because timing was set at 15*, not the default which is 7.5*. I think the boat went over 60 for a few seconds, lol. The other incident we had was the motor connectors melted the solder with a 447/3 on 6s. We didn't burn up a single ESCs testing it under "normal" use. We didn't burn up any motors either.

I as the PD, and Horizon as the Company I represent, feel these temps are normal under the expected running conditions of 50+ on 6s, for this project. If these temps seem high, keep in mind we are dumping a minimum of 5000mAH @ 50c, 22.2v, through the electronics in under 4 continues minutes. Heat is to be expected on 6s, driving like I do in my videos; lead finger. Lower voltage and more conservative driving keep these temps lower.

Thank you for all this added information, definitely a good baseline to compare when I receive mine. I intend to try 4s, 5s, and 6s, however, I will probably end up running 5s more often to allow for a little safety net, plus play around with some props.

T.S.Davis
07-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Picture a 40 minute Q-Offshore heat!

Not the way I drive. My throttle finger is cramping up just thinking about the ocean like conditions.

Raff, those numbers are reasonable with quality equipment. If we try to run those temps on what we think of as "spec" you get failures.

My Q sport comes in at 138 every run.

bigcam406
07-10-2015, 10:49 AM
any idea what the temps and run times would be on 4s? i remember Darin stating that it was running at approx 40mph on 4s.i myself dont really have experience at 50mph,so i would like to crawl before i walk so to speak.with 4s,could you prop up or would that even be necessary? just wondering,as im starting to like this boat more as more info is given.thanks in advance.

Rafael_Lopez
07-10-2015, 11:18 AM
any idea what the temps and run times would be on 4s? i remember Darin stating that it was running at approx 40mph on 4s.i myself dont really have experience at 50mph,so i would like to crawl before i walk so to speak.with 4s,could you prop up or would that even be necessary? just wondering,as im starting to like this boat more as more info is given.thanks in advance.

I had one tester that specifically tested on 4s. Below is one of his runs. His runs vary +/- 5*, or so. As you can see, the increase of voltage really heats up the connectors. ESC and motor temps stay pretty constant regardless of voltage.
Run Time (min/sec) 4:25
Battery Temp (°F) 138
Bat Plug Temp (°F) 145
Motor Temp (°F) 130
Motor Plug Temp (°F) 136
ESC Temp (°F) 129
Steering Servo Temp (°F) 88

bigcam406
07-10-2015, 11:35 AM
thanks for the quick reply.judging by what you provided,the only thing that i should be concerned about is the connector temperature.is 50c the minimum discharge rate that we should be using,even on 4s?

Rafael_Lopez
07-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Yes, we recommend 2, DYNB3810EC for 4s.

bigcam406
07-10-2015, 01:42 PM
thanks for the info.much appreciated.

Brushless55
07-12-2015, 05:48 PM
I wonder how two 6s 3300mah packs in parallel would do in this boat ?

shua
07-12-2015, 06:06 PM
I wonder how two 6s 3300mah packs in parallel would do in this boat ?
I'm wondering the same thing. I have similar matching pairs of 6s packs from my Helis.

skeeler
07-15-2015, 06:16 PM
So, it must be safe to assume a 36-inch twin cat is on the way, right?

skeeler
07-16-2015, 09:48 AM
So, it must be safe to assume a 36-inch twin cat is on the way, right?

By the way, should ProBoat offer a 36-inch cat, I'd love to see it in either the Blackjack or Geico livery, rather than Rockstar livery.

Back on topic: Thanks for bringing the Voracity 36 to market. It looks like a good product, and I'm very interested.

T.S.Davis
07-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Back off topic. haha

A 36" Geico would be a riot.

Xtreme Thunder
07-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Rafael,

Is Horizon (Pro Boat) still on schedule with anticipated physical stock with the time-line mentioned a few pages back?

Regards,
Joe

Rafael_Lopez
07-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Yes.

Any delays will be announced through our website and I'll make sure to let you all know.

Xtreme Thunder
07-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Thanks.

I did notice that the Pro Boat website indicates Late August.

Brushless55
07-17-2015, 02:06 AM
Back off topic. haha

Agreed !

shua
07-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Anyone have an idea on how to mod the rudder to have a breakaway feature??

Short of cutting the bracket and adding a plate with brass hardware or..
Just thinking ahead ....

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/21/4c07efafe0715eea0e5d91e7c6ba723f.jpg

Doby
07-21-2015, 01:16 PM

Spartanator
07-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Back off topic. haha

I really wanted a 36" Geico V.... Kind of like the Geico Cig....

montymike
07-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Again, a miss geico / blackjack 36" cat please...

JMSCARD
07-28-2015, 03:33 PM
I really want a boat designed to run on 6s 5000mah packs.... a lot of my boats, planes, helis, Taft viper jet, etc.. run on the 6s 5000's... so I have an Abundance... I'd like a RTR boat that will run 6s2p 10,000mah and I'd be a happy camper... is there room in this boat for such packs?

Rafael_Lopez
07-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Hi Jim.

There is definitely room to fit 6S battery packs side by side but because 6S packs are usually wider, the battery packs will not completely sit centered in the tray. At least the E-flite 5000mAH packs I laid in there wouldn't fit centered on the trays. The battery straps fit 6000mah, hard case packs, max. The included straps are 240mm in total length.

My personal opinion, excessive weight equals friction due to lack of lift, which causes the system to work harder, raising the amperage demand, and generating more heat. To me, its the equivalent of a Ford F150 with the fuel tank of a small school bus. The extra capacity is canceled out by the extra weight.

What I would recommend is that you get some really long straps and mount 1 pack in the center of both battery trays.

JMSCARD
07-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Got ya Rafael... thanks for the response....

I hear ya on the weight issue.... maybe its a 39" rtr boat I need for my two 6s packs :) haha...

btw have you tried 6s 2p? I think my HK packs are very similar with 3s packs in width as the 6s packs.... mine may fit, I also run Gens Ace / Pulse packs.... hoping the extra weight while maybe losing a few mph might make it even better in the rough stuff!

Very nice boat... reminds me of a better looking aeromarine titan 40 .... really happy to see ProBoat stepping it up in the boat category... electric especially... with all the power options out there bigger and bigger electrics are becoming more and more reliable!!! What a good day and age to be in the RC hobby!

Thanks again!

Rafael_Lopez
07-28-2015, 05:44 PM
There are many packs out there that could work. Our packs are probably some of the largest on the market. I got some test packs from a manufacturer that are 4S 5700mah and are smaller than our Dynamite 3S 5000 packs. Technology is moving so fast, its hard to keep up.

I appreciate everyone's request for larger boats. This community is very small, but very insightful. Unfortunately with anything that is licensed, there are royalties involved which means we have to pass on the cost to our customer. This sometimes prices us out of the market. The GEICO team is one of the best and easiest teams to work with which is why the GEICO 29 lives on. But personally, as a customer, I wouldn't want to see the same scheme recycled over and over again on just a larger version of a current boat. We have plenty more boats coming up. As Jim said in his last post, technology has come a long way. We are managing to make things work, which no other RTR company has done yet successfully, or does not want to do, for whatever reason. I ask that you be patient, I promise most of you wont disappointed with what we currently have on the stove.

JMSCARD
07-28-2015, 06:04 PM
I for one could care less about a decal with a name of a big name on it.... I myself would be much happier with just "scale" type boat schemes.... windshields painted scale, and maybe some of the normal paint Schemes (colored checkered flags) etc... like we see on the full size boats. I think plenty of us remove such nonsense ..... would be interested to see how many multi FE boat owners care about the "Miss geico" decals etc... rather see more multi colored scale colors... in fact I like the look of this boats scheme much better then the Geico... certainly not worth paying royalties!

I am going to do a pre-order on one of these the next time HH has its sale, or survey discount lol.... I should have done it a couple weeks ago, but hopefully a sale will be in the near future..... I have been delighted in the service I have received from HH over the years with my planes, etc... also, so when I do buy a RTR to mess with its always been a Proboat.... way back I dunked a old DX7 Spektrum in the water when I had it attatched to my neckstrap and bent over to pick a plane on sponsons in the water.... Horizon Hobbies completely rebuilt the radio and sent it back NO CHARGE.... hard to take business elsewhere when they do things like that!

One last note..... why is it not one manufacturer offers two canopies... one for running fast with the typical low profile, and one an optional scale type canopy with a bit of a "dashboard panel" , seats, etc... sounds like a great way to make two boats out of one... sometimes I dream of a totally RTR scale 40 ft. Fountain, etc... just dreaming here... just seems the only scale boats out there are the "hk princess" lol... and the like... the old PB formula was the last of its kind.

Thanks again Rafael... look forward to seeing all the great new things from PB in the future.

Jason

bigcam406
07-31-2015, 11:23 AM
has the slow boat from China made its arrival yet? Aug 1st is tomorrow.just wondering.....

montymike
07-31-2015, 12:13 PM
Ya the scale 36" NOT THE GRAPHICS just a bigger cat. The geico graphics is not important...

Rafael_Lopez
07-31-2015, 01:15 PM
has the slow boat from China made its arrival yet? Aug 1st is tomorrow.just wondering.....
The boats aren't due until mid-late August. I don't think I ever mentioned them being here earlier than mid month.

We can hope they catch a fast current and make it hear earlier.

bigcam406
08-02-2015, 12:25 PM
i was under the assumption that they were to be available at the end of July.sorry for my braincramp.

montymike
08-02-2015, 12:43 PM
:thumbup:Back on the subject: the quality of the new proboat is above the competition Rafael..

Rafael_Lopez
08-06-2015, 06:51 PM
This happend today.
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae92/rlopez8/964A69D7-D4C0-4A58-8DB7-331A63639A22_zps5wkznjpu.jpg (http://s961.photobucket.com/user/rlopez8/media/964A69D7-D4C0-4A58-8DB7-331A63639A22_zps5wkznjpu.jpg.html)

Random QC inspection; all ok. They will go in to stock within 24 hours.
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae92/rlopez8/B1765BCF-1060-4801-929A-7B18CA442031_zpsmojsfxmd.jpg (http://s961.photobucket.com/user/rlopez8/media/B1765BCF-1060-4801-929A-7B18CA442031_zpsmojsfxmd.jpg.html)

ChevyPrerunner
08-06-2015, 07:20 PM
That is a Beautiful Sight Rafael I can't want to get ahold of one :w00t:

kfxguy
08-06-2015, 09:08 PM
I can't wait!

shua
08-06-2015, 09:13 PM
YEAH!! :buttrock:

Xtreme Thunder
08-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Awesome! I can't wait, hope I get a shipping confirmation soon! :banana:

bigcam406
08-07-2015, 07:10 AM
like the scene from Poltergeist....."they're here"

Brushless55
08-07-2015, 02:20 PM
Awesomeness !!

montymike
08-07-2015, 02:22 PM
:thumbup1:Going to pick one of these up

Xtreme Thunder
08-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Just received shipping confirmation e-mail!

Rc21scott
08-11-2015, 04:39 PM
just got a call from Horizon Hobby my Voracity is in and on the way would like to ask Darin ...what prop he recommends for it

kfxguy
08-11-2015, 05:14 PM
:thumbup1:Going to pick one of these up

I've got one coming myself

Rc21scott
08-11-2015, 06:34 PM
hey kfxguy... did anyone mention during all the Voracity talk which prop would be good to use

kfxguy
08-11-2015, 06:56 PM
hey kfxguy... did anyone mention during all the Voracity talk which prop would be good to use

It comes with an x645 on it. Which it a pretty dang good prop. I would:
1) detounge the prop and sharpen and balance it (it doesn't come sharpened from the factory)
Or
2) run an octura m645 that's s/b

Also a abc 1815-17-45 may be a good candidate for it but I'd wait if I were you because I'll be testing many props on it when mine comes in.

montymike
08-12-2015, 08:42 AM
1.4 pitch x1.77 diameter =2.478 total thinking x445 octura stock.

Rafael_Lopez
08-13-2015, 09:28 AM
The stock prop is equivalent to an Octura x645. This is the max size/pitch prop we recommend for 6s, with the stock ESC, or it will simply shut down after maybe a minute of running. I had them program the ESC to cut voltage if the motor requires more amperage with the stock prop, on 6s. This will save plenty of people time in calling in to request a replacement ESC, and HH money on replacing it. The fun is on the water, not waiting on the phone. The only ESC we managed to burn up during all our testing was one with timing set at 15*. I believe the tester said he got over 65 before it melted down, before 1 minute of run time.

It's a 52, mph boat, stock. If anyone requires more speed, there are plenty of aftermarket ESC that will help provide that. Just putting that out there.:wink:

If I remember right, Darin reported running a 447/3 on 4s and had very good results with it.:thumbup1:

If anything else on 6s, I'd say a well tuned prop of no more pitch and diameter than the stock prop will yield very good results, while makimg the system more efficient.

montymike
08-13-2015, 09:47 AM
The stock prop is equivalent to an Octura x645. This is the max size/pitch prop we recommend for 6s, with the stock ESC, or it will simply shut down after maybe a minute of running. I had them program the ESC to cut voltage if the motor requires more amperage with the stock prop, on 6s. This will save plenty of people time in calling in to request a replacement ESC, and HH money on replacing it. The fun is on the water, not waiting on the phone. The only ESC we managed to burn up during all our testing was one with timing set at 15*. I believe the tester said he got over 65 before it melted down, before 1 minute of run time.

It's a 52, mph boat, stock. If anyone requires more speed, there are plenty of aftermarket ESC that will help provide that. Just putting that out there.:wink:

If I remember right, Darin reported running a 447/3 on 4s and had very good results with it.:thumbup1:

If anything else on 6s, I'd say a well tuned prop of no more pitch and diameter than the stock prop will yield very good results, while makimg the system more efficient.
Again, thanks for the quick and insightful response.

kfxguy
08-13-2015, 10:02 AM
Looks like mine shipped yesterday. Whoohoo. I'll have something to run now that doesn't involve trying to go as fast as I can.

Pretty neat that there's an over amperage protection built in the Esc. I like that.

Rc21scott
08-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Rafael and kfxguy...thanks you guys..I'll run the stock prop,see how I like it and keep my eyes and ears open,see what happens... Rafael, can't wait to see that 52mph right out of the box.saw the video on youtube

Rafael_Lopez
08-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Rafael and kfxguy...thanks you guys..I'll run the stock prop,see how I like it and keep my eyes and ears open,see what happens... Rafael, can't wait to see that 52mph right out of the box.saw the video on youtube
Just make sure you have some good room to open it up, if using GPS. I found that GPS, at least the Dynamite one that I am using, takes some good distance to register top speed. If you see in the video, I go out to nearly to that Island in the distance and get a good long run. Has to be at least 200 yards. At first, I couldn't get the boat over 48, though I knew it was faster:frusty:. Well, came to find out it was because the GPS has latency and needs a good, long run to register a constant speed; for top MPH. I wasn't running as long of a distance as I show in the video.

Rc21scott
08-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Got plenty of room here at Atlanta's Lake Lanier... And at Atlanta Model Boaters race lake...will keep that GPS info in mind... Thanks again Rafael...............................rc21scott

Xtreme Thunder
08-14-2015, 11:12 AM
Just received an e-mail indicating mine has been delivered!

montymike
08-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Any rebates on this boat?

Xtreme Thunder
08-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Any rebates on this boat?

I haven't seen any listed, however, there is a coupon code for 10% off orders over $100. I just did a Google search for such and one is good until 8/20/2015, I even just tested on Horizon Hobby with am item in the cart, works perfectly. In addition, I believe orders over $99 are free shipping. You can get for $476.99 shipped, as did I when I utilized a similar code when I pre-ordered.

-----------------------------------------

On a side note, it has been a while since I have been in the R/C hobby, mainly was into Losi buggies and trucks competitively back in the mid-late 1990's up to about 2001. Back then, using Deans Ultra Plugs were the ticket. Those were on brushed 1/10th scale motors on 6 cell NiCad and NiMH cells. Are those still recommended (utilized) on a boat delivering this boat's power demands? Or is EC5 the latest and greatest? I question as I have 8 batteries coming, (4) 7200mah 2s 70C and (4) 7200mah 3s 70C LiPo hard case packs coming, but the options were Deans Ultra or Traxxas, and well, ...I chose Deans Ultra.

montymike
08-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Ya Dean plugs are to small for this boat ec5 and above.

Xtreme Thunder
08-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Ya Dean plugs are to small for this boat ec5 and above.

Thanks much. I was surmising that as I was researching and that was the main consensus from the larger scale Heli guys with similar power demands. Figured I ask directly in the boat forum under the exact product I am using.

Rafael_Lopez
08-14-2015, 12:56 PM
To add more to your question about connectors, it's not about what's hot of popular. It's more relevant to the amperage each connector is rated for. Deans are only rated at 60 amps, as are EC3 connectors. We rate our EC5 connectors at 100 amps with 12 gauge wire and 125 with 10 gauge wire. The 5.5 bullets on the motor are good for 125 amps with 12 gauge and 150 with 10 gauge. It's really about the right connector for the right application. Deans are most popular because most surface RCs don't draw more than 60 amps, normally.

montymike
08-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Do you know what promo code was when I check hh site says 529.00 must be a better deal missing something did see. Free shipping.

Xtreme Thunder
08-14-2015, 01:11 PM
To add more to your question about connectors, it's not about what's hot of popular. It's more relevant to the amperage each connector is rated for. Deans are only rated at 60 amps, as are EC3 connectors. We rate our EC5 connectors at 100 amps with 12 gauge wire and 125 with 10 gauge wire. The 5.5 bullets on the motor are good for 125 amps with 12 gauge and 150 with 10 gauge. It's really about the right connector for the right application. Deans are most popular because most surface RCs don't draw more than 60 amps, normally.

Thanks for the amperage ratings on the EC5 vs. Deans Ultra, which I found the latter online. Indeed, based on amps definitely, which is the information I was looking for with the level of amps this boat (boats in general) draw. Thanks for the confirmation.

Do you know what promo code was when I check hh site says 529.00 must be a better deal missing something did see. Free shipping.

Type JL15SAVE in the section to place a promo code when you are viewing your cart. Code appears active until August 20, 2015.

Xtreme Thunder
08-14-2015, 01:23 PM
Rafael, what gauge is the wiring provided on the Voracity?

The batteries I ordered are equipped with 10 gauge, so I am ahead on that notion.

waterproof
08-14-2015, 03:46 PM
im looking forward to read some review and look at some YouTube videos when the people in here getting this beautiful big boat!

arrover
08-14-2015, 04:32 PM
Yeah! FedEx just dropped my Voracity off! Can't wait to get out of this office! (Is there no way to attach pictures on this board? Other than upload to a separate server... Maybe it's because this is my first post on this forum.)

kfxguy
08-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Awesome. I'm jealous! Who is gonna be first in the 70's with it? Lol

JMSCARD
08-14-2015, 05:18 PM

Xtra10 has been a coupon code @ Horizon Hobby for the 10 percent off for a long time now... I believe it still works as I used it for plane parts only a few weeks ago... been going for 8 or 9 months now...

montymike
08-14-2015, 08:00 PM
Thanks guys.

Xtreme Thunder
08-14-2015, 10:28 PM
The Voracity looks awesome! I originally knocked the color scheme of the graphics (personal preference), but in person, even under the living room lights, it is going to look real sharp on the water!

hobby_man
08-14-2015, 11:49 PM
Got my Voracity today and drove it out of the box
6s
46.86 mph

check out my channel on youtube

http://youtu.be/7uDECTY7A94

Tamelesstgr
08-14-2015, 11:59 PM
Nice, thanks for posting a video

Rafael_Lopez
08-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Great to see the videos starting to roll in. Man, I envy where you live. Sweet back yard!

I like to run mine with the batteries pushed all the way towards the back of the tray, right before the left battery touches the cooling loop on the ESC, but this may be to loose form some drivers. This allows the boat to ride closer to its CG. If the boat gets a bit bouncy with the batteries towards the rear, adjust the trim tabs down about 1/2mm at a time, untill you get the bounce out. This should let the boat run a bit dryer, lower temps a bit(less friction), and get the speed up some.

BTW, the motor and ESC have 12g wire. Someone asked a few posts back.

Brewbud
08-15-2015, 01:18 AM
Nice Video. Fast OTB. Great job Pro Boat. Can't wait to see were this goes. Sounds like there needs to be a Voracity section in the Pro boat RTR section now :smile:

ChevyPrerunner
08-15-2015, 01:33 AM
Great Vid and location you got there looks like a great runner :w00t:

arrover
08-15-2015, 01:57 AM
I had a chance to run a few packs through the Voracity before dark. This is box-stock except I changed the battery connectors to 5.5mm bullets so I could use my batteries. Love the boat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=322TAJiTmUY

Stingray
08-15-2015, 06:52 AM
Cool to start seeing videos of the Voracity. :thumbup1:
Is it safer to run it on 5s ? Or stock version can really handle 6s ?

arrover
08-15-2015, 09:48 AM
No one except the ProBoat team has done any long term testing for reliability at this point. I personally believe that the ProBoat guys have done enough testing to prove that the Voracity will be reliable on 6S. My video was all shot on 6S with the stock ESC. I didn't pound on it continuously but the motor, esc, and batteries were not overly hot to the touch. I've only driven mine last night but so far I feel like the Voracity hull handles 6S power way better than my Impulse 31. I'm hoping to run it some more today!

bigcam406
08-15-2015, 11:42 AM
thanks for posting vids,guys.nice job.boat looks impressive.

Rafael_Lopez
08-15-2015, 12:28 PM
Wow, another great video!

We only tested on 6s. I'm very confident the system can handle it continuously, stock, but I know my comments can seem biased. After all, this is my baby.

I know some people will want to change the ESC for a HW180 or a higher rates ESC for peace of mind, but if you can, give the stock ESC some time. You'll see it can handle 6s and your money, if you don't already have a 180 sitting around, can be better spent elsewhere.

arrover
08-15-2015, 12:44 PM
Thanks Rafael! Great work on the boat!

ray schrauwen
08-15-2015, 04:02 PM

To help get there you might want to blueprint the bottom and the transom so you have a knife sharp edge for water to shed off easier and prop work. Lots of prop work....

paulfromtulsa
08-15-2015, 04:52 PM
wow just ran my veracity on 6s and its a beast out of the box. handles way better than my spartan no chine walk even at full throttle.. i am curious on what prop you guys think i should try out to get more speed. do you think the x648 is too much? or should i just go one stuep up and do the x646 i have already upgraded to dual cooling lines and seaking 180 esc.

kfxguy
08-15-2015, 09:49 PM
wow just ran my veracity on 6s and its a beast out of the box. handles way better than my spartan no chine walk even at full throttle.. i am curious on what prop you guys think i should try out to get more speed. do you think the x648 is too much? or should i just go one stuep up and do the x646 i have already upgraded to dual cooling lines and seaking 180 esc.

I would sharpen and balance the prop that came on it. Set the timing at 15 degrees (only with a 180 amp and up Esc!!!) and it'll do over 60. I would not use a x648, that prop pulls a bit more amps. I'd detounge the stock prop also. What most of you guys fail to realize is the prop that's on it is plenty. It's just needs some work. If you don't know how to work a prop, contact Dasboata and tell him you want a m645. I have another prop in mind but I won't recommend it until I know it'll work. Stay tuned because when I get mine I'm doing a sort of test thread on it.

paulfromtulsa
08-15-2015, 10:35 PM
hey kfxguy what do you think about me getting a x646? i dont know how to sharpen and balance so i just order my props already sharpened and balanced. so i dont want to order the same one i already have on the boat.

kfxguy
08-15-2015, 10:52 PM
hey kfxguy what do you think about me getting a x646? i dont know how to sharpen and balance so i just order my props already sharpened and balanced. so i dont want to order the same one i already have on the boat.

I like the way the x646 looks, but not how it performs. In back to back testing the m645 was a bit faster and easier on stuff. I wouldn't. If you going to buy a prop, I'd get a m645. It will unload the motor some and you'll pick up speed without any negative effects. If you want to hold off for a couple days, my boat will be here Monday and I'll let you know for sure what prop it likes. I'm going to baseline the stock prop. then I'll s/b it to see if it's worth it. I'll also try a few different props I have to see what it likes. I've got lots of props so I'll do the work for you guys. I have to and you have to keep in mind that the stock setup is meant to work with the prop it has and we cannot add anything more aggressive so we don't let the smoke out. So I'll be doing what I do with that in mind. I have a feeling the stock prop is probably one of the best choices for it (it really is a good prop, just needs sharpening). I'm going to tell you this, I've tried raw props vs a sharpened prop and I can tell you depending on the casting, it can be a big difference. Stay tuned and I'll test the stock prop s/b.

arrover
08-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Couple questions....

I would like to program the ESC to lock out reverse. The Voracity manual says that this can be done with the transmitter and to refer to the DYNM3875 ESC manual. The ESC manual only says that this programing can be done with the programing card. Does anyone know the procedure for programing with the transmitter or if it's possible?

Both the ESC manual and the Voracity manual say that the motor should get the cooling water first, then pass it to the ESC and then out of the boat. My boat came set up to cool the ESC first and then the motor. Which way is best?

Rafael_Lopez
08-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Tx programming instructions below.
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae92/rlopez8/E3F7CC86-0B5D-46A9-82A7-9D6B70C77BA3.png_zpsuvuvrtee.jpeg (http://s961.photobucket.com/user/rlopez8/media/E3F7CC86-0B5D-46A9-82A7-9D6B70C77BA3.png_zpsuvuvrtee.jpeg.html)

We must have missed the cooling instructions during the manual proofing. Looks like they used the same template as the Impulse 31. On this boat, keep the lines going to the ESC first. On the Impulse 31, it doesn't matter.

kfxguy
08-16-2015, 01:33 PM
It's been believed that it's better to cool the Esc first. I always run my lines this way unless I just can't. The motor can tolerate more heat than an Esc can, usually.

Stingray
08-16-2015, 01:34 PM
I would like to program the ESC to lock out reverse

By curiosity, may I ask you what are the benefits of doing it?
Reverse might be useful no ?

paulfromtulsa
08-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Reverse can weaken the shaft

Rafael_Lopez
08-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Reverse is pre set at 1/4 throttle, and can not be adjusted any higher. That is not RPM to damage the flex shaft, under load. Removing it is personal preference.

kfxguy
08-16-2015, 05:05 PM
You guys have Raphael working on his day off! Lol. How's that for service? This gentleman is very passionate about what he does. Proboat needed that. I don't think you could find a better person to fill his slot! Very impressed! Now go enjoy your day off Raphael! :)

Rafael_Lopez
08-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Haha, thanks Travis. This is one of the perks of carrying the internet one's pocket; I can answer questions poolside:cool:.

No trouble at all. It's my pleasure to be able to have such close contact with our customers. I feel customer service is as important and making quality products. As a customer myself, I can overlook issues with a product if the company does whatever they can to make up for a product's downfall. Customer service is what's kept HH alive for 30 years now. :smile:

hobby_man
08-16-2015, 06:04 PM
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/868054390

50.02 by MOVING THE BATTERY FOREWARD closer to the tube on the esc.

Now I'll rework the stock propeller and see what I get.

arrover
08-16-2015, 06:44 PM
Great info! Thanks guys and thank you Rafael for the instructions. I'll have to try shifting my batteries forward a little..... Ran the boat again just now and had a blast.

hobby_man
08-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Haha, thanks Travis. This is one of the perks of carrying the internet one's pocket; I can answer questions poolside:cool:.

No trouble at all. It's my pleasure to be able to have such close contact with our customers. I feel customer service is as important and making quality products. As a customer myself, I can overlook issues with a product if the company does whatever they can to make up for a product's downfall. Customer service is what's kept HH alive for 30 years now. :smile:

This is an awesome out of the box boat, I have had a lot of boats over the past 25 years, this one is the beat, tell the team Great Job.

hobby_man
08-16-2015, 07:17 PM
Great to see the videos starting to roll in. Man, I envy where you live. Sweet back yard!

I like to run mine with the batteries pushed all the way towards the back of the tray, right before the left battery touches the cooling loop on the ESC, but this may be to loose form some drivers. This allows the boat to ride closer to its CG. If the boat gets a bit bouncy with the batteries towards the rear, adjust the trim tabs down about 1/2mm at a time, untill you get the bounce out. This should let the boat run a bit dryer, lower temps a bit(less friction), and get the speed up some.

where is the CG on this boat from the transom

hobby_man
08-16-2015, 09:27 PM

polished and balanced the stock prop, may detoung the prop next.

117 amps 4 minute run time full throttle
6s 5000 mah pack

arrover
08-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Nice pictures. Very interesting. My cooling hoses came arranged like yours with the front ESC hose on the verge of being kinked. Some other guys pointed out that the cooling water should exit the top of the motor to help avoid air pockets inside the motor cooling jacket. I think that two hoses might be incorrectly installed on our boats. Take the short hose off of the front of the ESC and put it between the ESC and the bottom motor inlet. Then take the hose that was between the ESC and top motor inlet and put that on the front of the ESC. Then the water exits the top of the motor and exits the boat. The hose lengths fit perfectly, the motor should cool better, and the ESC loop isn't kinked anymore.

Xtreme Thunder
08-17-2015, 12:18 PM

Thanks Rafael, I did notice when I opened the box after I asked that night that the boat wiring was 12g.

I would sharpen and balance the prop that came on it. Set the timing at 15 degrees (only with a 180 amp and up Esc!!!) and it'll do over 60. I would not use a x648, that prop pulls a bit more amps. I'd detounge the stock prop also. What most of you guys fail to realize is the prop that's on it is plenty. It's just needs some work. If you don't know how to work a prop, contact Dasboata and tell him you want a m645. I have another prop in mind but I won't recommend it until I know it'll work. Stay tuned because when I get mine I'm doing a sort of test thread on it.

I like the way the x646 looks, but not how it performs. In back to back testing the m645 was a bit faster and easier on stuff. I wouldn't. If you going to buy a prop, I'd get a m645. It will unload the motor some and you'll pick up speed without any negative effects. If you want to hold off for a couple days, my boat will be here Monday and I'll let you know for sure what prop it likes. I'm going to baseline the stock prop. then I'll s/b it to see if it's worth it. I'll also try a few different props I have to see what it likes. I've got lots of props so I'll do the work for you guys. I have to and you have to keep in mind that the stock setup is meant to work with the prop it has and we cannot add anything more aggressive so we don't let the smoke out. So I'll be doing what I do with that in mind. I have a feeling the stock prop is probably one of the best choices for it (it really is a good prop, just needs sharpening). I'm going to tell you this, I've tried raw props vs a sharpened prop and I can tell you depending on the casting, it can be a big difference. Stay tuned and I'll test the stock prop s/b.

I can't wait to read and learn from the experienced, will be on the look-out for your thread!

I am impressed as well. Usually the staff only stays on the manufacturer's forums and heaven forbid (in some instances) you mention an aftermarket company, however, I like the service and answers directly from the source, even on a forum that is not owned and operated by the manufacturer. Many manufacturer's are working with a whole new generation, that most prefer the online forum environment and nice to see a company that recognizes adding that shift in communication. Excellent work, and this thread already has a wealth of information!

---------------------------

In addition, what type of grease is recommended for the shaft? I know, indeed, an amateur question! Haha! The instructions just called off a couple Dynamite part numbers, but didn't indicate the type. I may already have some in the garage!

Tamelesstgr
08-17-2015, 01:02 PM
Guess I better start saving, lol, Christmas will be right around the corner.

hobby_man
08-17-2015, 09:57 PM
that hose set up makes more sense, I was looking at the short hose and was going to replace it due to the almost kink in it

paulfromtulsa
08-17-2015, 11:05 PM
I did some temp testing today and with a dual cooling line my motor temp was 20 degrees lower than it was when I only had one line.

paulfromtulsa
08-18-2015, 01:44 AM
How do you guys think the voracity would do on 8s? I have an extra leopard 4082 1600kv motor laying around so I thought I might buy a swordfish 200amp pro esc and pair it with the leopard motor and run 8s. Thoughts ?

Darin Jordan
08-18-2015, 07:58 AM
How do you guys think the voracity would do on 8s? I have an extra leopard 4082 1600kv motor laying around so I thought I might buy a swordfish 200amp pro esc and pair it with the leopard motor and run 8s. Thoughts ?

I think you should put that motor in and run it on 6S.... You are going to have a hard time getting the correct balance with that much battery up front if you try it on 8S, and frankly, 1600KV is too hot for 8S... 6S is already giving you 35,520+ RPM... That's already more than is generally recommended for a Mono... especially a sport runner...

T.S.Davis
08-18-2015, 08:14 AM
frankly, 1600KV is too hot for 8S... 6S is already giving you 35,520+ RPM...

haha Careful Darin. I know you help design boats for a major manufacturer and all but I've been told that's old school thinking and doesn't apply any more. Sorry,couldn't resist.

So they hit the shelves maybe a week ago and we're already wanting more power than the boat was designed for? FE is predictable if nothing else.

montymike
08-18-2015, 08:58 AM

polished and balanced the stock prop, may detoung the prop next.

117 amps 4 minute run time full throttle
6s 5000 mah pack

No headroom for a bigger prop. Stock..

Darin Jordan
08-18-2015, 09:02 AM
No headroom for a bigger prop. Stock..

Perhaps not "bigger", but bigger isn't always better. More efficient is what you are looking for... Sharp and thin would be a great starting point...

montymike
08-18-2015, 09:19 AM
By my calculations this prop = to x445 total 1.4x2.478 proboat spec but everyone says x645?

montymike
08-18-2015, 09:23 AM
By my calculations this prop = to x445 total 1.4x2.478 proboat spec but everyone says x645 2.842 ?

paulfromtulsa
08-18-2015, 10:05 AM
I think you should put that motor in and run it on 6S.... You are going to have a hard time getting the correct balance with that much battery up front if you try it on 8S, and frankly, 1600KV is too hot for 8S... 6S is already giving you 35,520+ RPM... That's already more than is generally recommended for a Mono... especially a sport runner...

Hey Darrin you say to put my leopard in the boat and use 6s. Wouldn't the stock motor be faster than the leopard cause its 1650kv? The Leopard might run cooler but I'm not having heat issues.

Rafael_Lopez
08-18-2015, 10:14 AM
I advised a few posts backs about not having any headroom in the ESC for a another prop other than what it comes with or the ESC will over amp and shut down, not burn up.The ESC rating of 120a is 80% of the total Amperage rating which is typical of any ESC on the market. 80% is the maximum amount recommended for continuous current flow in the electronics/electrical industry. The amperage I see on that Watt meter is exactly what I saw through testing, nearing ESCs limit, and I doubt anyone has yet to see the ESC shut down. Seems like the ESC is working as I anticipated it would :smile:

Listen to Darin regarding props. I said this previously too. A well worked prop will work better than a larger one or one with more pitch.

Montymike, I'll work on updating our prop specs. The stock prop is definitely an equivelant to an x645, not a 445.

montymike
08-18-2015, 10:28 AM
I advised a few posts backs about not having any headroom in the ESC for a another prop other than what it comes with or the ESC will over amp and shut down, not burn up.The ESC rating of 120a is 80% of the total Amperage rating which is typical of any ESC on the market. 80% is the maximum amount recommended for continuous current flow in the electronics/electrical industry. The amperage I see on that Watt meter is exactly what I saw through testing, nearing ESCs limit, and I doubt anyone has yet to see the ESC shut down. Seems like the ESC is working as I anticipated it would :smile:

Listen to Darin regarding props. I said this previously too. A well worked prop will work better than a larger one or one with more pitch.

Montymike, I'll work on updating our prop specs. The stock prop is definitely an equivelant to an x645, not a 445.

,thanks for the clarification. Quite a difference between a x445 and a x645 in amp draw all things = a x645 s&b would work fine was just confused on the spec.

Darin Jordan
08-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Hey Darrin you say to put my leopard in the boat and use 6s. Wouldn't the stock motor be faster than the leopard cause its 1650kv? The Leopard might run cooler but I'm not having heat issues.

There is so much more to power than just KV... All that is is "how fast are you pedaling".... Lance Armstrong and I could both be pedaling on the flats at 100 rev/min... How fast we are both still pedaling when we hit that hill is what makes the real difference...

I don't pay attention much to the Leopard or other similar type motors, but I'm thinking that that 4082 of yours is looks to be almost exactly the same specs as the stock motor. If they are the same pole count (4-pole??), then the actual KV ratings are probably the same. The diameter and length are the same. I don't think I'd expect any performance increase.

I'd upgrade the ESC and cooling, perhaps, and then you can start playing with props. Going to 8S, in either case, would be suicide for a 1600-1650KV motor... especially an "average quality" one.

paulfromtulsa
08-18-2015, 10:54 AM

rafael i am correct by saying that the specs listed for the stock prop online is wrong? on proboats site it says its a 1.4 pitch and 2.478 total pitch? just want to clarify. thanks

montymike
08-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Has Any one tried this boat on 3.5° timing to see if it draws less amps?

Rafael_Lopez
08-18-2015, 11:30 AM
The motor in the veracity is a six pole motor. If you change the motor to a 4 pole motor you will gain some RPM but you will lose the torque. This is typical and motors made by the same manufacturer, with the same stater and rotor specifications; except for the difference of magnets count on the rotor.

kfxguy
08-18-2015, 11:31 AM

I think that would be a step backwards. The stock motor is a 4082 but has 6 poles. More tq.

kfxguy
08-18-2015, 11:32 AM
Blah. Raphael beat me to it by one minute. Lol

kfxguy
08-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Has Any one tried this boat on 3.5° timing to see if it draws less amps?

Ummm. I wouldn't chance it with the stock Esc.

montymike
08-18-2015, 11:53 AM

So did u get your boat ?if so what are the results? I'm still . On the fence .

paulfromtulsa
08-18-2015, 12:47 PM

how would running less timing hurt the esc?

Darin Jordan
08-18-2015, 12:59 PM
how would running less timing hurt the esc?

It won't... I think that kfxguy didn't realize that you were indicating a cutting in half of the factory 7-degree timing...

arrover
08-18-2015, 04:38 PM
So far I have been able to hit 48.7mph with the stock, unaltered prop. My particular stock prop looks to be a little less than perfect. Instead of working on it, I decided to sharpen and balance a x645 which Rafael has said is equivalent to the stocker. This morning the boat ran 51.0mph with the x645. I also ran an x642 and it was significantly slower. I freely admit that I'm brand new to working on props and choosing them. I'm just learning and having fun. The boat seems to be running a little wet maybe even with the batteries all the way back and the tabs neutral. I still haven't touched the tabs or the strut.

Darin Jordan
08-18-2015, 05:11 PM
The boat seems to be running a little wet maybe even with the batteries all the way back and the tabs neutral. I still haven't touched the tabs or the strut.

Can you tell people what batteries you are running (Size/mAh)??

I too found that, running 6000mAh 3S packs, that it can get a little wet... Which isn't really bad once the water gets torn up a bit...

One of the BEAUTIFUL things about this boat is that it can be run pretty hard in REAL water conditions... In other words... it doesn't have to be glass to get 45+ out of it while lapping around the pond...

Really an ideal "fun" size!

Rafael_Lopez
08-18-2015, 05:30 PM
So far I have been able to hit 48.7mph with the stock, unaltered prop. My particular stock prop looks to be a little less than perfect. Instead of working on it, I decided to sharpen and balance a x645 which Rafael has said is equivalent to the stocker. This morning the boat ran 51.0mph with the x645. I also ran an x642 and it was significantly slower. I freely admit that I'm brand new to working on props and choosing them. I'm just learning and having fun. The boat seems to be running a little wet maybe even with the batteries all the way back and the tabs neutral. I still haven't touched the tabs or the strut.
There is enough play between the strut and the stuffing tube to give you a max of 2* positive or negative angle without having to bend the stuffing tube or kinking the flex shaft. I run mine with as much positive as I can get. I like it to run a lose as possible.

Also if your prop is damaged, please call our Product Support line to get a replacement.

arrover
08-18-2015, 06:03 PM
You're awesome Rafael. Thanks for the offer but I'm not to concerned with the 1.3 mph out of that particular prop. It's probably the boat set-up anyway. I really do appreciate that though.

Yes, I may "trim it up" a hair and see what happens. My batteries are 5000mah 3S packs so I'm thinking they are a pretty standard size.

hobby_man
08-18-2015, 07:59 PM

I thinned and polished the prop some, I re routed the water lines so the water comes out of the top of the motor and then out the boat. I made the loop on the left side of the ESC larger.
I use pro boat Grease, I have tried others and they are not the same, someone asked that.
I just finished a 4 minute full throttle run in choppy water with the boat running tight.
Love this boat, grease, charge and go!
the bulk head fitting for the water line IN came out,,I think it was glued in with CA, will re glue with silicone

kfxguy
08-18-2015, 08:37 PM
Got mine!!!
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/90A573BA-607F-4D0B-8988-5AA87426B526.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/90A573BA-607F-4D0B-8988-5AA87426B526.jpg.html)

Xtreme Thunder
08-18-2015, 08:47 PM

I use pro boat Grease, I have tried others and they are not the same, someone asked that.

Thanks for the reply, figured I'd ask the seasoned hobbyists!

I can't wait to run mine! This boat is perfect size and proportions, and any angle this boat just looks boss!

montymike
08-19-2015, 06:07 AM
:buttrock:
Got mine!!!
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/90A573BA-607F-4D0B-8988-5AA87426B526.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/90A573BA-607F-4D0B-8988-5AA87426B526.jpg.html)

Let us know if this thing likes a x645 or a m645 and setup thanks mine is on its way should be here by weakened.

paulfromtulsa
08-19-2015, 10:32 AM
i think im going to try the prather 230 prop what do you guys think?

montymike
08-19-2015, 11:20 AM
A Prather 225 not a 230 without changiing Speedo a 230 to much prop would draw to much amps put that spedo in amp protection mode.

paulfromtulsa
08-19-2015, 12:18 PM
A Prather 225 not a 230 without changiing Speedo a 230 to much prop would draw to much amps put that spedo in amp protection mode.

What do you mean by without changing speedo? Is that an esc? I have already upgraded to a 180amp esc.

montymike
08-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Ya should be good then.