PDA

View Full Version : Okay guys, what do I need to do....

sjslhill
04-05-2007, 09:13 AM
My first Super Vee is on the way....anything that I need to do? I want to run the same prop. Anything to the hull? :) I want it to remain stock legal.

thanks,
Steve

ice329
04-05-2007, 09:32 AM
I like the stock prop. The CF42, CF45 and CF48 are nice to have, there 5.50 each. You got the kickin packs. Most everyone will tell you the stock radio is no good. I found its ok on 6 cells but when I did 7 it went nuts. I bought a futaba PM3 FM for the 7 cell boat and it has not glitched once. Here is a great link to read http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5203307/anchors_5203307/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#5203307 Especially the first post about super tuning. Grease the shaft, check for kinks in the cooling, I added floatation (just in case), tape the hatch, name her and let her fly. Prob shoud Zpoxy all the wood first, then reasemble all the hardwere using silicone and check for leaks. If your like me I did this after a week of running..hehehe but I did it.

Your about to have some fun... G/L

sjslhill
04-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the tips, I have a good Futaba FM as well, it's a shame the radio that comes with it will not work correctly.

Rex R
04-05-2007, 12:25 PM
slide a piece of size medium silicon fuel line(roughly 1.5" long) over the antenna straw(work from the radio box end) so as to plug the hole in the hatch. you'll need to use about negative 26-28 on the throttle trim to get the esc to arm. hth
rex

SJFE
04-05-2007, 12:30 PM
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Dump the stock water jacket. Get the black OSE unit. I recomend the ajustable tabs..Not the bolt ones the other ones that are in stock...they are bigger..a little bit of a pain to mount..but I think the extra surface aera is worth it. Cut out the end of the battery trays so you can ajust the CG. [/ as I think of stuff I'll let ya know...Lunch Breaks over andI gota split.
PeaceCOLOR]

Rex R
04-05-2007, 12:36 PM
some clubs specify that the trim tabs may not be larger than stock(this only applies if you intend to; race in a spec class).

ice329
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
SJFE,

Tell me about the tabs that are in stock. Why are the a PIA to mount. I need ADJ tabs bad and thought about the ones that are in stock but held off. Tell me what the deal is, then maybe I will just order them.

Rex R
04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Steven has had adjustable trim tabs that fit the requirements of the spec supervee class. same size and use the same mounting holes. far as I can tell ALL trim tabs are a pita to install.

ice329
04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Yes I know but they have been out of stock for a month. What can I say I am impatiant

Darin Jordan
04-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Guys,

I raced my SV27 in P-Mono with a BIG prop and excellent batteries... all with the stock trim tabs... They work just fine, you just have to take care when adjusting them... Once they are set, they really don't get adjusted much anyhow...

One thing you must do, however, is take them off and open the holes up a couple of sizes... This will allow you to slide them up on the transom and get them up off the bottom about 1/16th of an inch or so... Stock they hang below the bottom... They need to be raised up...

Mine are set at neutral and I've never had a need to adjust them further... Once you get the batteries in the right spot and get the strut adjusted properely, you shouldn't need to adjust them much again...

I have the adjustables on there now, but haven't touched them once they were set... Running the boat in both Spec SV27 and in P-Mono (Lipos, new prop and turn fin...)...

When Steve gets the adjustables back in stock, by all means get them, as they are sweet... but don't let that keep you out of the action in the meantime...

Steven Vaccaro
04-05-2007, 03:40 PM
I have a new stamper for the plates and more will be in stock "hopefully" 2-3 weeks.

Guys,
Mine are set at neutral and I've never had a need to adjust them further... Once you get the batteries in the right spot and get the strut adjusted properly, you shouldn't need to adjust them much again...

If you don't adjust your not taking advantage of part of what the trim tabs help.
When I go to the pond at 10am the water is glass, my tabs are up a couple of degrees to bring the speed up and loosen the boat. As the day goes on the water gets more choppy, the tabs start to go down to help stability in the rougher conditions.

Darin Jordan
04-05-2007, 03:54 PM
As the day goes on the water gets more choppy, the tabs start to go down to help stability in the rougher conditions.

I don't disagree... which is why I suggested to go ahead and get the tabs from you when they are available... Still... I haven't had to adjust mine at all, and we've just completed a race in very rough, windy conditions... But then, I tend to balance more with weight than with tabs, because the tabs generally aren't in the water much if you keep the boat at full tilt... I think they have their biggest effect in the turns... it's the only time they are near the water if the boat is flying correctly... ;) If the boat needs to be slowed down some to keep it more stable, I tend to prop down so as to let the motor/esc still wind up (say NO to partial throttle...)

BUT, all fo this takes away from the point... What needs to be done for this gentleman is to drill out the holes in his stock tabs, adjust them correctly... go have fun with the boat for the next two weeks, then IMMEDIATELY jump online and order the good tabs from OffshoreElectrics! By then, He'll be up to speed with the hull and be ready for some adjustability so he can fine tune to the race conditions!! :D

SJFE
04-05-2007, 04:23 PM
They were tuff because they are wide. You have to take care not to get them to close to the prop. When they are in the right position the inside lock nut will fall right behind both the stringers. You have to hold the nut with a long angled pair of needle nose pliers and spin the cap screw into it. It's not impossible just time consuming. The work and look good though. I find I have to adjust my tabs and pack orientation each time I run.

Dennis Whitt
04-05-2007, 04:24 PM
Trim tabs are a PITA to install.
Here is a tip that saved me from pulling out my hair.
I put a drop of thick or medium ca on the back plate of the trim tab.Then I attach it to the transom.The thick ca will let you move it around for a while.
Once you find the right spot.Kick it.Then just drill the holes.The tab usually just stays right there.Run your screws and your done.:D

SJFE
04-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Thats the only way to do them.

ice329
04-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Daren, I use the boats everyday. Everyday the conditions are differnt. Some days I want all out speed to get GPS readings, some days I want to test temps with differnt trim settings, some days I want cornering. Its not the end of the world without them but when your a fanatic nut like me or most of the SV guys, there a must have.

To give you a example. I ordered this boat a little over month ago. With intentions of not really haveing to do any more spending. I had old race packs, a good charger and really all I thought I needed to have a little fun on my pond. In one month... well you would have to see it to believe it. 3 SV27's, all new packs, race packs and lipos coming, a new charger, a race coarse, new radios, endless parts, props, gadgets, gps, temp, it goes on and on. hahahaha

Darin Jordan
04-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Its not the end of the world without them but when your a fanatic nut like me or most of the SV guys, there a must have.

Well... NO ONE is more "anal retentive" about their equipment and setup than I am...... but I guess I must be doing something wrong... I didn't touch my tabs for three heats of Spec SV27 (IB4200s, Stock prop) and three heats of P-Mono (4S1P Poly RC 3300mah Lipos, Modified X646 prop, Fuller's carbon turn-fin, left side stock turn fin...)... and I only won EVERY heat of Spec SV27 (with my 7-year old son holding the controller and helping with the steering...) against a full grid (6-boat heats...) and finished P-Mono with 2-seconds and an almost win (flipped in turn 4 of the last lap! Hit a fish!! :eek: ) against some VERY fast 30"+ P-Monos... in 40-degree weather with sustained 15-20mph winds and lots of chop... Keeped the throttle pretty much pegged in both cases... :D

I HIGHLY encourage you guys to get the adjustable tabs from Steve... The Spec SV27 rules I authored for the Nationals were written USING THEIR DIMENSIONS... so they are perfect for the task... My point in this thread has been that NOT having them should NOT keep you from being competitive... The stock ones adjust just fine... you just have to be more careful... You WILL have an easier time setting the boat up with the Adjustable ones... but until they are available... see what you can do with the stock ones... you might be suprised...

ice329
04-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Daren, You can be sure I tinker with the stock tabs... here is a little vid. http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/ice0329/?action=view&current=34bf1c0a.pbr

sjslhill
04-05-2007, 10:10 PM
I have been told not to run 14 cells in this boat......seems to me the 14.4 NIMH and 14.8V lipoly are perfect. thanks for the tips on the tabs.

ice329
04-05-2007, 10:17 PM
The ESC is rated up to 14 cells, but the voltage on real good cells is pretty high so I think they feel its to much for the ESC. Not 100% sure. I bet a good set of 6 cell packs will run just as fast as these 7 cell packs, maybe faster. Less weight. I will bet a dollar says the 7.4 lipos are faster then these 7 cell packs.

Darin Jordan
04-05-2007, 10:48 PM
I've heard that running 14-cells results in a lot of excess heat, and very little speed gain...

The stock setup will handle a pretty good sized prop... A quick prop swap to an X645 or similiar and a larger right-side turn fin will work wonders for the speed... The hull starts getting a little dicey much beyond 42-mph or so, which can easily be achieved... (well... maybe not "easily"... ;) ) with 12-cells or a 4S1P Lipo setup...

For reference, my SV27 set up for P-Mono ran a pair of 2S1P 3300mah PolyRC packs (20C rated) and only used 1300mah from each for a 5-lap race... Packs were 90-degrees... motor was 110... ESC was in the box... ;)

ice329
04-05-2007, 11:11 PM
I am new to the boat, only over a month. I am tweeking things everyday. Next week I should be getting good 6 cell packs and a set of lipo's to put in the boats. As of now I got a bunch of crap.

Things get warmer on seven cells. I upgraded all the cooling lines and enlarged all the fittings,water pickup, and added the OSE waterjacket. My motor after a hard run on 7 cells is 120-124. The ESC is fine. The batterys were 130-135. Also have one I keep stock and the Blue one on 7 cells compleatly blows the white stock boat away.

SJFE
04-06-2007, 12:25 AM
I've heard that running 14-cells results in a lot of excess heat, and very little speed gain...
With my setup on with a quality set of 7cell IB3600s(battlePacks), a 45mm prop in loose or tight water there is a vast diffrence from 12 to 14 cells. With run time and speed. My temps are 100 on the motor and 112 on the packs with ose cooling. I will have all the data as far as gps voltage and amp draw in a couple weeks.