PDA

View Full Version : NEW Pro Boat Impulse 31 V3

Darin Jordan
06-18-2015, 02:55 PM
Did a lot of testing with this one. Pro Boat is done messing around!

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=PRB08008

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Content/ProductStatic/PRB08008/images/glam.jpg

Darin Jordan
06-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Please note: This power system is NOT P-LTD legal. Motor is 40mmx68mm 4-Pole, and YES, it really does do 50mph... easily.

Local Boy
06-18-2015, 03:09 PM
WOW!
Very nice....
If I was looking for a RTR...This would definitely be the ticket!!!
This will be sold out quick...No question about it!
Aloha

Darin Jordan
06-18-2015, 03:26 PM
A couple more notes:

1) Hull is from a new manufacturer. It's layup has been improved and the strength increased.
2) No Wood inside.
3) Sub-hatch has been eliminated
4) I believe that the flexshaft has been upgraded to be .187.
5) Still accepts OSE Upgrade Turn-Fins (and I would recommend those highly if you race or run in choppy water)

It's a very nice evolution of the original design.

kfxguy
06-18-2015, 03:28 PM
Proboat is definitely upping their game. I just saw the innards of the new bj29 and it's much better than the original. My shockwave 26 is also much better than the original version I owned.

Darin Jordan
06-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Proboat is definitely upping their game. I just saw the innards of the new bj29 and it's much better than the original. My shockwave 26 is also much better than the original version I owned.

This power system is BEASTLY! Especially for an RTR. I ran it at in my older IM31 for the P-Mono class at the 2014 Nitro/Gas Nats (P-Mono FE Exhibition class) with an X447/3 and the boat was BALLISTIC... Would easily run away for the first 3-laps.... UNTIL... 29"-Ish hull isn't exactly perfect in "after-lap-3" race water... :bounce:

kfxguy
06-18-2015, 03:44 PM
This power system is BEASTLY! Especially for an RTR. I ran it at in my older IM31 for the P-Mono class at the 2014 Nitro/Gas Nats (P-Mono FE Exhibition class) with an X447/3 and the boat was BALLISTIC... Would easily run away for the first 3-laps.... UNTIL... 29"-Ish hull isn't exactly perfect in "after-lap-3" race water... :bounce:

They new motors and escs they are using now are ALOT better than the original stuff. The guy that's in charge of that stuff has his stuff together I can tell you that!

Rafael_Lopez
06-18-2015, 04:38 PM
Darin, flex cable is 3.7mm/.150. I never broke a single shaft during 6S testing with this new motor, which is why I never went to 4.7mm/.187. 31-inches is the limit for .150 cable in any Pro Boat product though.

I'm very proud of redoing the interior of this boat. The layout is perfect and the molded plastic cant be beat when it comes to longevity. The seal around the canopy opening and the twist lock are huge improvements. It was a pleasure to be able to revamp the boat you built, Darin, and finally make the inside match the outside.

Thanks for the kind words, Travis.
-Rafael

Doby
06-18-2015, 04:47 PM
Nice...but to bad they didn't make the hull a bit bigger to handle "after-lap-3" race water.

T.S.Davis
06-18-2015, 04:54 PM
How long before guys are putting 6s in it? I give it 3 hours after release.

Does this have the same kind of material used in the Blackjack for innards? That was a huge improvement on those.

Rafael_Lopez
06-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Sorry, I don't understand your 6s comment. The boat is 6s capable, considering the motor is 1750kv. But like Darin said, you can run 4s in it with a large 3 blade prop and get similar speeds.

The interior in this Impulse 31 is molded plastic. We specified our first test boats to have the center structure to be made of FRP, like the 29-inch cats. Honestly, it was no improvement over the wood because it was pieced together with glue. It was keyed in but it was made of multiple pieces glued together and it started to fall apart shortly after a few tests so we made the call to go this route; injection molded. The new molded plastic tray will outlast the boat. I might still have the remnants of a boat to prove that, lol.

kfxguy
06-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Terry here's a pic of the black jack which I believe is the same

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc243/ltzguy/52EBABA6-DFAC-4C63-9B36-D8F127BC1D5D.jpg (http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/52EBABA6-DFAC-4C63-9B36-D8F127BC1D5D.jpg.html)

T.S.Davis
06-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Sorry Rafael, it's a recurring theme here on OSE. If a sensible setup comes along like this one appears to be, there are always guys that want to throw more cells on it. What ever makes sense..................add 2 cells. haha

Great to see Proboat still developing and improving their products. The Blackjack V3 is so much better than V2. I'm optimistic that this will be another improvement. Keep up the good work.

T.S.Davis
06-18-2015, 05:19 PM
Terry here's a pic of the black jack which I believe is the same

We have a guy racing one in our club. It's really impressive right out of the box.

Rafael_Lopez
06-18-2015, 05:29 PM
T.S Davis, I got it now, lol. Thanks for bringing me up to speed.(insert blushing smiley here)

Thanks. We really are listening and we really are trying to bring better products to the market so that customers will not have to change things, although we hobbyists can never leave anything alone.

Some of us hobbyists finally start learning when the smoke starts to leak.:rofl:

Darin Jordan
06-18-2015, 05:30 PM
Nice...but to bad they didn't make the hull a bit bigger to handle "after-lap-3" race water.

This size is more appropriate for the general consumer. The "basher", etc,. needs to be able to fit the thing in the car, and it IS, after all, ultimately meant to be a 4S "Limited" boat...

Bigger boats require more power and more battery and MORE MONEY... :)

That being said... You just never know what may be on the way in the future... Obviously, Rafael and Pro Boat are listening!! :spy:

Darin Jordan
06-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Darin, flex cable is 3.7mm/.150. I never broke a single shaft during 6S testing with this new motor, which is why I never went to 4.7mm/.187. 31-inches is the limit for .150 cable in any Pro Boat product though.

I'm very proud of redoing the interior of this boat. The layout is perfect and the molded plastic cant be beat when it comes to longevity. The seal around the canopy opening and the twist lock are huge improvements. It was a pleasure to be able to revamp the boat you built, Darin, and finally make the inside match the outside.

Thanks for the kind words, Travis.
-Rafael

Rafael... Sorry, I couldn't remember which shaft it ultimately ended up with. I've never broken a .150" either, but then I don't run mine on 6S very often. Boat is small and light enough that .150 has always been fine.

As you guys can see... Rafael is truly "Da'Man" these days, and he's been working hard to get this product line to the next level. All the credit to him and his vision for the future of this stuff. These evolutions are simply amazing.

I hope the consumers get these in their hands and feel the same way. The performance of this boat, out of the box, just brings a very big smile.

rcdad2
06-18-2015, 11:07 PM
My wife will be mad when I tell her I need to buy another boat.

Raylon
06-19-2015, 09:19 AM
What's with the hole around the flex shaft? Never seen this on a boat before.

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Content/ProductStatic/PRB08008/images/gallery/03.jpg

Doby
06-19-2015, 09:36 AM
Been there for several years....called a wet well, allows for strut adjustment.

Brushless55
06-19-2015, 10:05 AM
Very very cool !

rw442
06-19-2015, 10:54 AM
Go figure i just bought a new Impulse 31 3 weeks ago new i should have waited!

rcdad2
06-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Go figure i just bought a new Impulse 31 3 weeks ago new i should have waited!

I bought mine used 3 weeks ago. But I gutted it put in leopard 4074 1650kv and 180a ESC along with the .187 flex shaft. But I do want the yellow decals as soon as they are available:)

Rafael_Lopez
06-19-2015, 04:23 PM
Hello everyone. I wanted to share a video with you that shows the new GEICO and a side by side of the V2 Impulse and the new V3 Impulse. The motor in the impulse went from a 36x60mm to a 40x68mm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldlTznd6obM

bigcam406
06-21-2015, 11:58 AM
any idea when this motor and esc will be available.thinking about throwing this setup in my Fastech.

montymike
06-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Why did they not put this motor in the blackjack?

Rafael_Lopez
06-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Hi Montymike,

We didn't put the 40x68mm motor in the V3 29-inch hulls because we didn't feel it needed the power to be a successful product and reach the target MPH range, reliably. Because a cat is a hydro, it requires less power to get comparable speeds to the V hull. The V hull, cutting through the water, required a much more powerful and efficient motor, and honestly it was time for an upgrade in the Impulse 31 V3.

The V3, 29-inch hulls requires 90 nominal amps continuously, with the current power system, at 15* ESC timing. The same system in the Impulse required 130 amps at 15* timing and 110 @ 7.5* timing; too close to the ESCs continuous advertised amperage limit. The solution was simple, a larger motor for the Impulse 31 V3 that would bring the nominal amperage to a range more comparable to the 29-inch's power system while yielding the target speed range. The ESC in the Impulse does run lower timing; 7.5* versus 15 in the V3 29-inch so there is plenty room to push the system harder, if the customer feels comfortable taking on that responsibility.

That's probably not the answer you were looking for, but it's the best answer I can give you.:smile:

Bigcam406,
The ESC is currently available. The motor is scheduled to be available mid to late July.

montymike
06-26-2015, 05:03 PM
Hi Montymike,

We didn't put the 40x68mm motor in the V3 29-inch hulls because we didn't feel it needed the power to be a successful product and reach the target MPH range, reliably. Because a cat is a hydro, it requires less power to get comparable speeds to the V hull. The V hull, cutting through the water, required a much more powerful and efficient motor, and honestly it was time for an upgrade in the Impulse 31 V3.

The V3, 29-inch hulls requires 90 nominal amps continuously, with the current power system, at 15* ESC timing. The same system in the Impulse required 130 amps at 15* timing and 110 @ 7.5* timing; too close to the ESCs continuous advertised amperage limit. The solution was simple, a larger motor for the Impulse 31 V3 that would bring the nominal amperage to a range more comparable to the 29-inch's power system while yielding the target speed range. The ESC in the Impulse does run lower timing; 7.5* versus 15 in the V3 29-inch so there is plenty room to push the system harder, if the customer feels comfortable taking on that responsibility.

That's probably not the answer you were looking for, but it's the best answer I can give you.:smile:

Bigcam406,
The ESC is currently available. The motor is scheduled to be available mid to late July.

My main concern is r.p.m. On 6s .

montymike
06-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Hi Montymike,

Bigcam406,

My main concern is r.p.m. On 6s .

Rafael_Lopez
06-26-2015, 06:15 PM
I understand your concern, and it's a very valid one. We see a mixture of customers that don't mind or care what the unloaded RPM is as long as they don't burn up their electronics, puff their batteries, and go as fast as they can go out of the box. Then there are those that don't like the high RPM setups at all because it wears parts quickly. The hard part is finding a balance that suits both customers.:confused2:

montymike
06-26-2015, 06:28 PM
I understand your concern, and it's a very valid one. We see a mixture of customers that don't mind or care what the unloaded RPM is as long as they don't burn up their electronics, puff their batteries, and go as fast as they can go out of the box. Then there are those that don't like the high RPM setups at all because it wears parts quickly. The hard part is finding a balance that suits both customers.:confused2:
Like strut bushings.guess should mention i have a mystic 29, 2 geico v1 and blackjack 29v3.

kevinpratt823
06-26-2015, 06:46 PM
Kudos to you Rafael, and Proboat, for stepping up with some real improvements on these boats!

montymike
06-26-2015, 06:55 PM
:thumbup1:4Ditto

Rafael_Lopez
06-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Like strut bushings.guess should mention i have a mystic 29, 2 geico v1 and blackjack 29v3.
I am working on sourcing better material for our strut bushings.

Kudos to you Rafael, and Proboat, for stepping up with some real improvements on these boats!
Thank you. Just wait until you see what is next.....:spy:

Pedro Ramos
06-26-2015, 09:57 PM
very good product and good job Rafael Lopez, any plans on a bigger v or mono hull?

Brushless55
06-26-2015, 11:47 PM
Thank you. Just wait until you see what is next.....:spy:

Looking forward to this...

kevinpratt823
06-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Will the ride pads on the Geico be any better? I know the old one really required some blueprinting to really take advantage of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rafael_Lopez
06-28-2015, 07:19 PM
very good product and good job Rafael Lopez, any plans on a bigger v or mono hull?
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/jAndrew/CIA_zpsht2qok7x.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/jAndrew/media/CIA_zpsht2qok7x.jpg.html)

Rafael_Lopez
06-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Will the ride pads on the Geico be any better? I know the old one really required some blueprinting to really take advantage of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kevin,

We are using different molds, the layup method is different, and the hulls are thicker. This combination greatly improved the ride pads on the V3 29-inch hulls. I feel there is no need for blue printing them; that's just my opinion. :smile:

Darin Jordan
06-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Kevin,

We are using different molds, the layup method is different, and the hulls are thicker. This combination greatly improved the ride pads on the V3 29-inch hulls. I feel there is no need for blue printing them; that's just my opinion. :smile:

I will second that opinion. The new hull is definitely a more solid hull. Straighter and stronger. Any "blue-printing" that you'd feel the need to do would be more along the lines of getting that very last little bit of perfection out of the pads. Painting and such always rounds off corners a bit. However, it's a much livelier hull right out of the box and tunes in nicely.

I've been running mine right out of the box! (BJ29 V3, that is... same hull)...

RCBoaterGuy
06-29-2015, 06:59 PM
Darin,
Have a V1 - purchased your fins from Steve awhile back. Improved cable & SM tabs too.

Question bout mounting position... as you know the stock fins have a leaned back \ rake look to them - hope that makes sense.

For yours - do they mount vertical?? -- Leaned forward \ rearward a bit?? Centered in the mounting holes?? Or for\aft a bit??

I've been wanting to ask these questions for a-while, this thread finally opened the door.

Please :help:

Thanks...

A couple more notes:

1) Hull is from a new manufacturer. It's layup has been improved and the strength increased.
2) No Wood inside.
3) Sub-hatch has been eliminated
4) I believe that the flexshaft has been upgraded to be .187.
5) Still accepts OSE Upgrade Turn-Fins (and I would recommend those highly if you race or run in choppy water)

It's a very nice evolution of the original design.

Darin Jordan
06-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Darin,
Have a V1 - purchased your fins from Steve awhile back. Improved cable & SM tabs too.

Question bout mounting position... as you know the stock fins have a leaned back \ rake look to them - hope that makes sense.

For yours - do they mount vertical?? -- Leaned forward \ rearward a bit?? Centered in the mounting holes?? Or for\aft a bit??

I've been wanting to ask these questions for a-while, this thread finally opened the door.

Please :help:

Thanks...

I push them right up against the hull, and the bottoms should be parallel to the keel line... I think that would make the backs about vertical, if I recall correctly.

Slide them up in the mount as high as they can go also, to start with. That's likely where they'll stay.

RCBoaterGuy
06-30-2015, 06:40 PM
THANK YOU!!

Much appreciated :smile:

I push them right up against the hull, and the bottoms should be parallel to the keel line... I think that would make the backs about vertical, if I recall correctly.

Slide them up in the mount as high as they can go also, to start with. That's likely where they'll stay.

Spartanator
06-30-2015, 07:51 PM
I am not usually one for Black and Yellow on a boat but it came together nicely on this one!

SFC K
07-01-2015, 09:12 PM
I am not usually one for Black and Yellow on a boat but it came together nicely on this one!

I agree, but they should have flipped the colors. More yellow with the Black accents would have been sweet!

gearhd48
07-16-2015, 10:49 AM
That's the way to do it! Great work! Good thinking Rafael, can't please everyone!

waterproof
08-07-2015, 03:32 PM
How will this new 4068 motor fit in my blackjack 29 v3?

Since the esc is the same on the impulse it would fit fine, but would it fit right in my hull?
Anyone know how this motor will be vs my Stock 3668 2000kv blackjack motor? Would this impulse motor use more amp or not?
I would run it on 6s like i do with my blackjackmotor :)

Rafael_Lopez
08-07-2015, 03:50 PM
The 4068, Impulse 31 V3 motor, drops right in. This motor is a 4 pole, which by design consumes less power, but makes more RPM than a 6 pole. I've personally tested this motor in my Miss Geico and with the Voracity prop got 61, on 6s, with Dynamite 50c packs.

waterproof
08-07-2015, 04:07 PM
That was good speeds! Just like i want it.

Now i hit 49mph with the stock s/b prop on 6s, strut is in stock posission (flat on top with the rudder mount)

Maby i going to look for the voracity prop also when it came out, but its not safe to use this prop with the 2000kv motor like i have today?
Do you know why the blackjack and the impulse have different motors?
Because v hull need more power?
Would you say this is a upgrade to buy the impulse v3 motor to my blackjack using the stock prop or is it just waist of time?

Thank you Rafael for making good boats and the same time help us in the forum :)

I have run my blackjack v3 on 6s for about 17 times now with no issue at all, only a bit hot motor connectors but this is not a issue, people will think it is because they feel so hot but it works just fine, im not worry about that anymore.

Now back to the impulse boat, anyone got this boat yet? Seems nice. Very curious about this 4068 motor it came with.

Rafael_Lopez
08-07-2015, 04:52 PM
See my comments below.

That was good speeds! Just like i want it.

Now i hit 49mph with the stock s/b prop on 6s, strut is in stock posission (flat on top with the rudder mount)I found the boat runs better with the strut pushed all the way up, which puts it 2mm above the ride pads, and the batteries mounted all the way back.

Maby i going to look for the voracity prop also when it came out, but its not safe to use this prop with the 2000kv motor like i have today? Not a good idea to run a 45mm prop on the 2000kv motor in the 29-inch boats.:flammes-09::flashfire:
Do you know why the blackjack and the impulse have different motors?I put a different motor in the Impulse for few reasons, the main reason being that the 29-inch boats are hydros and the V is cutting through the water, displacing it. This causes way more friction and amperage draw when compared to a boat that is skimming across the top of the water.
Because v hull need more power?
Would you say this is a upgrade to buy the impulse v3 motor to my blackjack using the stock prop or is it just waist of time? Just dropping in the Impulse motor wont gain you much, if anything at all. What it will allow you to do is have more amperage room to play with larger props. That being said, my last comment regarding the 61 MPH was based on me pushing the motor in that hull to see how fast it would go, not caring if I burned something up or not. Experiment at your own risk.

Thank you Rafael for making good boats and the same time help us in the forum :)My pleasure

I have run my blackjack v3 on 6s for about 17 times now with no issue at all, only a bit hot motor connectors but this is not a issue, people will think it is because they feel so hot but it works just fine, im not worry about that anymore.I knew you would eventual see past the connector temps, see it as normal, and enjoy the boat

Now back to the impulse boat, anyone got this boat yet? Seems nice. Very curious about this 4068 motor it came with.Since we're back on topic, the Voracity motor and prop are a great upgrade for the Impulse 31 V3. Just saying.....

waterproof
08-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks for good answers.

Yes i know it is a risk that we users have to take when tuning the boat.
I dosnt know the voracity have a 45mm prop. I would change to lower kv before i step up in prop size.

Im going to try out the strut mod like you say, just now it runs very stabile and straight, just affraid i would flip it if i raise the strut.
I have never flip it before, my batteries is all the way back and timing is 7.5

Sorry for offtopic with my blackjack 29.

I would like to watch some videos of the impulse 31 v3 on 6s, just a matter of time before it came on youtube i think..