PDA

View Full Version : 550 size motor Cooling

Xcessive Carts
05-30-2015, 05:38 AM
Im looking for a Water Jacket that would fit my Fire Rescue boat, the motor is a
Traxxas Titan Marine 550, when running the boat on 3s LiPo, the simple coil tube wrap isnt enough. Diameter of can: 37mm (1.46")

Make-a-Wake
05-30-2015, 09:33 AM
The boat is most likely too slow for any sufficient water flow, how is your discharge stream? Also, tab cooling is best, they get the hottest. You may need a small pump for good flow. In tab cooling brass tube is soldered directly to the tabs for water flow.

Here are a couple of 700's I used:

runzwithsizorz
05-30-2015, 11:43 AM
I was/am running 2 550 Titans tube cooled in a villian EX, and have never really overheated. Perhaps it is as Make-a-Wake stated, your not moving fast enough.
Though it states it is an air pump, I happen to know it will pump water, AND as much as a 10" dead rise. It is a diaphragm type and thus does not need priming.
Will run on 3 to 12 volts. 2s power would be around 16+ oz. a minute, which may be enough for your purpose. On 3s you would be close to 32oz a minute. This is not a
submersible pump, so I'd advise you not sink your rescue boat:Shame_on_You:
http://www.sensidyne.com/micro-and-miniature-air-pumps/aaa-series-micro-air-pump.php

Xcessive Carts
05-30-2015, 06:18 PM
The boat moves at a decent speed. The water discharge is a nice steady stream, the issue is the cooling wrap that is on it now is a very loose fit, and doesnt make good contact to cool.

Make-a-Wake
05-30-2015, 11:05 PM
Post #2....................tab cooling.

runzwithsizorz
05-31-2015, 10:46 AM
The boat moves at a decent speed. The water discharge is a nice steady stream, the issue is the cooling wrap that is on it now is a very loose fit, and doesnt make good contact to cool.

You could try to re-coil the tubing, buy a silicone jacket, or, OR, IMO, don't waste your time, and money on that Titan which is known not to be very reliable. I'm not saying THIS motor is, I don't know, but come on,
For 13 bucks plus shipping you would have a 23 T, and a 20 T motor with a coil that fits both. Will your ESC take 4s ?, I was running my Titans on 16volts. Anyway, just my 2 sense
http://www.rcplanet.com/Dynamite_Marine_Motor_Brushed_20_T_550_2200Kv_p/dynm3845.htm

Xcessive Carts
05-31-2015, 03:11 PM
It is the Titan Marine, and on 3s it is more than enough speed. And with Coupon thru Tower i paid $8.75. It will do just fine. As far as the silicone jacket, they are known to leak. That is the first thing I changed on my Spartan.