PDA

View Full Version : genesis build need advice !

05-24-2015, 06:53 PM
Just got my genesis in the mail and I plan on running the motor that came in it the 2075 kv sss and I just bought a seaking 120a v3 esc and plan on running 2×2s 8500 mah 30c lipos in series also im already in the middle of upgrading to a 3/16 drive and im going to run a flysky transmitter and receiver so this is what I have so far.
what I dont know is what size prop I should run and should I reinforce the hull and how and what to reinforce it with as ive never done it before and one of the most important things I need hatch locks but dont know what size I need so if anybody else has done a genesis build what hatch locks have you used? and I was just told if I use deans plugs they would either unsolder or melt?

TheShaddix
05-24-2015, 08:20 PM
Welcome to the forum! The genesis is a great hull to start with. I just finished building one for a friend. You can start by reinforcing the nose cones and the transom (rear end) by pouring epoxy mixed with whatever you can throw in it (chopped carbon, silica, milled fiberglass, etc). Make sure you use a bucket of water and put your hull in it as the epoxy will heat up and distort the hull. Another thing you can try is some 2 part foam but this is not a beginner process and cannot be undone. For hatch locks the best option (in my opinion) are hatch bolts that are counter sunk so you can still put tape over them. You can get some T-brad nuts at Lowes and the countersink bolts (stainless for both). And forget about deans plugs and everything else out there. Get those OSE 8mm connectors with red housings and you'll never regret it. I've tried a lot of options over the years and these are the only ones that are truly impressive. They barely get warm after running, easy to disconnect, easy to solder due to large size, and super cheap. When you solder anything, make sure your wire does not move as it's cooling. The best way to avoid it is to use a helper soldering arm. And always pre-tin the wire. Invest in a really good soldering iron too (sakko FX-951 is a great option) and buy only quality solder.

05-24-2015, 08:44 PM
I have a great soldering iron before this it was all into rc cars but ive have noticed so far there are a lot of differences between boats and cars. And how about the 30 min epoxy for sale on ose? And how about props any idea what I should try I was thinking maybe 40mm 1.4p since the plastic prop that came with it was a 38mm? I just don't want to burn up my motor or esc.

TheShaddix
05-24-2015, 11:11 PM
that prop sounds good. Anything with a 1.4 pitch will be a good choice. The more pitch you add, the more top speed but less torque you'll have. Try to use slower curing epoxy for jobs that require better strength. Those 5, 15, and 30 min epoxies tend to be brittle. I use those for cosmetic applications mostly, but not to attach motor mounts or do carbon inlays. Get some marine grade epoxy instead.

ls1fst98
05-25-2015, 06:47 AM
avoid 2 part at all costs. use foam insulation sheet or pool noodle. if and when you ever have an incident that requires repair, the 2 part foam will make it nearly impossible to do. noodle you just pull it out and make the repair.

wiljm
05-26-2015, 02:06 PM
I ran an x440/3 with the stock motor. Here's a vid with that prop, stock motor, 180a esc, and 6s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAc9jmEP6q8

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-x440%2F3

petej
05-31-2015, 10:55 AM
I have both the HK Genesis and Outerlimits boats. The factory "glue" used to adhere motor/ESC/servo mount to the hull will fail as it is some kind of "hot gun glue". When I received the Genesis, the motor was flopping about the hull, held in place by the flex shaft.
I removed the motor mount, cleaned off the factory glue, laid down a re-enforcing layer of fiberglass (or CF), followed by the motor mount.
In the Genesis, battery, ESC connectors are EC5 and wired in parallel.

06-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Well so far I have poured some epoxy with some chopped fiber inside the front cones and I laid some fiberglass cloth and resin as far to the front of the hull bottom as I could get it also put cloth and resin to build up the motor/esc/servo mount as some have mentioned.
Also reinforced the seams inside with cloth and epoxy and reinforced my hatch.
just waiting for the front cones to dry and then im going to reinforce the transom.
and have bought some bigger cooling tubing as the tubing that came with it appeared pretty small and got a dual cooling rudder so I can cool my esc and motor separately.
Honestly im not very happy with my work with the epoxy and the cloth looks wise but I guess its my first boat build and as long as it strengthens the hull its good.
Lol I just hope I haven't made it too heavy or messed up the cog too bad with all this reinforcing.