PDA

View Full Version : sealing wood boat hull

okieman98
05-22-2015, 02:21 PM
i was getting ready to seal a wood hull with z poxy but wanted to ask, can u use epoxy paint instead maybe. just a though killing 2 birds with one stone so to speak. or do i need to seal first then paint

thanks all

grsboats
05-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Yes I would recommend you first seal carefully your hull,sometimes you need to aplly more than once epoxy sealant, wet sand it with light paper then apply P.U.(bi component ) primer....then finally go to painting....this just me....this way I have boats built fifteen years ago looking brand new.Gill

TheShaddix
05-23-2015, 05:52 PM
what if you want to have just a clear coat to show the wood grain, would epoxy resin be enough as the main and final coat? Or does it still need some kind of a clear coat sprayed onto it later?

okieman98
05-23-2015, 11:00 PM
ok thanks what i was thinking but wanted to make sure before i did anything,

Chilli
05-24-2015, 01:52 PM
what if you want to have just a clear coat to show the wood grain, would epoxy resin be enough as the main and final coat? Or does it still need some kind of a clear coat sprayed onto it later?

You wont need to clear over it unless you sand down to bare wood. It will probably take a few coats to get a nice smooth finish.

I use this stuff. Expensive but it works great with no scraping and very little sanding required. It's the viscosity of diesel fuel. First coat soaks into the wood. An extra coat or two will fill in the grain and easily sands to a nice smooth finish. I usually apply the last coat with a lint-less cloth. Makes the wood stronger without adding allot of weight.

http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html

tlandauer
05-24-2015, 03:21 PM
You wont need to clear over it unless you sand down to bare wood. It will probably take a few coats to get a nice smooth finish.

I use this stuff. Expensive but it works great with no scraping and very little sanding required. It's the viscosity of diesel fuel. First coat soaks into the wood. An extra coat or two will fill in the grain and easily sands to a nice smooth finish. I usually apply the last coat with a lint-less cloth. Makes the wood stronger without adding allot of weight.

http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html

This is great info.
Question: I have a prebuild hyfro hull ML GP400 that the builder had applied expoxy sealing, it is just a rough coat---meant to be sanded down and painted. I want to retain the wood appearance and also prefer the epoxy you linked over automotive clear as the final coat, I can sand smooth the epoxy that is already on it but I don't see how I can remove it completely and expose the wood grain, can I still use this stuff , and will it adhere to the epoxy that is on?
Thanks!

lonewolf
05-24-2015, 07:09 PM
If possible do a small test to check compatability to remove old epoxy lots of elbow and higher grit sandpaper 400-600 or higher once getting close... if the skin is ply use caution extremely easy to sand thru a layer and well appearance is lost... maybe block sand for bulk then carefully hand sand remaining areas....I hope this helps... Best regards Lonewolf..................................Ive messed up a few times and learned a bit...

lonewolf
05-24-2015, 07:13 PM
If possible do a small test to check compatability. To remove old epoxy lots of elbow and higher grit sandpaper 400-600 or higher once getting close... if the skin is ply use caution extremely easy to sand thru a layer and well appearance is lost... maybe block sand for bulk then carefully hand sand remaining areas....I hope this helps... Best regards Lonewolf..................................Ive messed up a few times and learned a bit...
Ive started using a foam liner on my blocks to lesson the hits on the hi spots... example a sheetrock sanding block however far higher grit... just wrap a proppper grit paper around foam block

tlandauer
05-24-2015, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the advice!! :-)

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk