PDA

View Full Version : 1st Build Mean Machine 2 - guidance appreciated

Dortiz68
05-21-2015, 02:09 AM
I'm starting my 1st FE boat build. The hull is a Mean Machine 2. I've think I've got all I need except the a motor which is currently not in stock. I've never done this before and other than reading some forum posts I'm not really sure what I'm doing so your advice is welcome.

From what I've gathered, I believe the steps are as follows:
1. Install rudder - mount centered left to right and centered veritically.
2. Then mount servo and connect linkage.
3. Then determine location of stuffer tube.
4. Bend and install stuffer tube.
5. Then mount motor centered left to right.
6. Mount cable
7. Mount ESC and receiver.
8. Complete water cooling system.
9. Test for leaks.
10. Install flotation in sponsons and hatch.
11. 1st run testing.
12. Disassemble for primer and paint.
13. Reassemble painted boat.
14. Test for leaks.
15. 2nd run test

From what I read, this is the outline of my build. Any feedback, pointers or advice is much appreciated.

Daniel

Dortiz68
05-21-2015, 02:13 AM

Bduncan
05-24-2015, 01:26 AM
most of the fine tuning will come with experience.
Here's my advice from someone that doesn't take his own. Take your time and dedicate a max of an hour or so of time for work session. Work on it when you are fresh, focused and the likelihood of being distracted is minimal. If you you don't have the right tool, epoxy, part etc... Be patient and get it. Do it right the first time. Boats are interesting creatures. Outside of the relatively extreme high rpms and amps, you have moisture balance and precision to contend with. Other than jets and helicopters, boats will break more than anything with a weak link.
Lastly, put the boat out of sight when you are not on it and set goals for what you would like to accomplish.

Heath M
05-24-2015, 03:24 AM
looks good,
Although it's easier to mount the motor before the stuffing tube. The motor helps keep it aligned with the strut when gluing in place.

tlandauer
05-24-2015, 03:34 AM
most of the fine tuning will come with experience.
Here's my advice from someone that doesn't take his own. Take your time and dedicate a max of an hour or so of time for work session. Work on it when you are fresh, focused and the likelihood of being distracted is minimal. If you you don't have the right tool, epoxy, part etc... Be patient and get it. Do it right the first time. Boats are interesting creatures. Outside of the relatively extreme high rpms and amps, you have moisture balance and precision to contend with. Other than jets and helicopters, boats will break more than anything with a weak link.
Lastly, put the boat out of sight when you are not on it and set goals for what you would like to accomplish.

Wow, well said.
I spent hours just to map out a mental picture and process sometimes. And as said, a fresh mind is important and many times you need to see beyond the next step or you will end up with wrong placement of something only because the wrench or screw driver can't get to it.
Now this is just for me and I openly admit that I have a feeble mind, so may be it is not necessary. lol.......

Dortiz68
07-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I took the advice given and stepped away for a bit due to a shortage of free time (birth of my son). I'm back now ready to kick start my project. Thanks for the mounting sequence suggestion with the motor. Can I get some advice on how to gauge the placement of my motor? Do I mount as far forward as I possibly can?

Thanks for the tips!

Daniel

Heath M
07-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Depends on what size batteries you want to use and where you want to place them. Best thing to do is install the hardware then do a dry fit of the internals to work out best placement for COG.

Dortiz68
07-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Heath,
Thanks for the prompt feedback. Okay, that makes sense and brings up another question. Is there an optimal approach to choosing where the CG should be? Chances are I will be mostly running 2x2s but I will most certainly swap to 2x3s batteries from time to time to raise the fun factor.

Daniel

Heath M
07-01-2015, 05:31 PM
No problem.
Normally COG is between 30 and 33% from the transom of total hull length. This will give you room for adjustment.

Dortiz68
07-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Heath,
Thanks again. This is all great information. This is what I found for setting up the hardware. Does this seem reasonable to you?

http://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/rc-boats/rtr-boats/catamaran-hull-setup/

Also, the CG from transom of total hull. The above suggest this should be based on wetted surface of the hull. On my Catamaran, I interpret this to not measure from the upper tip of the sponson. Is that correct? Should I make CG 30 - 33% of wetted hull when the boat is running flat on water?

Again, thanks for the help. I've heard of people making bad choices and holes in their hulls results in dropping the project or turning it over to someone who actually knows what they are doing. I have a Blackjack 29 to compare but more curious of experienced boat builds do so that I can get the most out of my build and feel confident to attach a larger project after this one.

For now these tips will be very helpful when I work on my boat this weekend.

Thanks,
Daniel

Heath M
07-01-2015, 06:28 PM
That hardware info is spot on. Here's a pic of mine

As for COG if the hull is flush at the transom and the back of sponsons , then its total length from there. If the hull has an overhang from the sponson then its measured from the back of sponson.

Dortiz68
07-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Okay, I'm feeling confident that I'm heading in the right direction. I'll post pictures once I get the hardware mounted. Thanks for the photo visuals always helps.

Heath M
07-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Awesome, there's plenty of guys on here that have built a MM. Do you a seach and you should find a thread or 2 :)

DCMW
07-02-2015, 03:44 PM
If your close to Houston? You can come to the pond and bring it and I can help you get it all set up and ready.

Dortiz68
07-02-2015, 03:54 PM
I'm in Cypress which is pretty close. What pond are you referring to?

Daniel

DCMW
07-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Crosby Tx is where we run the races at and have weekend play time:)
Look up "Lone star model boat club" next big race is in San Antonio on the 17-19th.
D
Feel free to call me with any questions.
Clayton 832-8one4-9three88

oscarel
07-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Crosby Tx is where we run the races at and have weekend play time:)
Look up "Lone star model boat club" next big race is in San Antonio on the 17-19th.
D
Feel free to call me with any questions.
Clayton 832-8one4-9three88
Love's marina.