PDA

View Full Version : Moving Motor mount closer?

xboxice
05-06-2015, 02:58 AM
Hi guys what do i need to do to have this motor mount moved closer as its mounted too far :) many many thanks.131594131595131596

tlandauer
05-06-2015, 03:15 AM
You want it closer to the stuffing tube so the cable is not exposed too much, the only way is to rip the mount out and re glue, BUT, it looks to me that the stuffing tube is very low, you need to make sure that there is still enough clearance for the collet.
I could be misunderstand you, but this is how I read your question.

xboxice
05-06-2015, 07:51 AM
Awesome your on target :)I'll see what I can do.

dasboata
05-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Just extend the stuffing tube if that's what you are trying to do, also the angle need to be corrected open the radio box to air it out

T.S.Davis
05-06-2015, 09:27 AM
A simple sleeve and piece of tubing to extend the tube would be much easier than moving the the mount. I've had to do that before too.

tlandauer
05-06-2015, 10:47 AM
My concern was the tube is simply too low and too much epoxy is surrounding the exit of the tube. You need to see how much the sleeve can get a hold of the tube.
Make sure you scrape and have some real estate UNDER side of the tube.

dasboata
05-06-2015, 11:33 AM
My concern was the tube is simply too low and too much epoxy is surrounding the exit of the tube. You need to see how much the sleeve can get a hold of the tube.
Make sure you scrape and have some real estate UNDER side of the tube. heat and a soft puddy knife will will work to remove the epoxy,,soften the epoxy and he can start all over

Doby
05-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Leave it where it is and cut new notches in it to move the mounting bracket forward.

xboxice
05-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the help guys :) the issues i am having with this boat is the the flexshaft that came with the boat has snapped,now the problem is the people or person's who converted the boat from nitro to brushless has mounted the motor mounts too far and the flex shaft replacement just wont reach,it look like it had a custom stock shaft made up to reach where the motor mount has been placed if that makes sense :)lol so long story short i will have to move motor mount closer to use the right flexshaft :) this is the one i bought and the seller say it the right one for this boat has they sell them aswell. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/390782127329?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

tlandauer
05-06-2015, 10:35 PM
So the cable in the link is too short? The simplest solution is to get another cable that is long enough provided that you can extend the tube or move the mounting bracket per the various suggestions. If none of those suggestions work, then the fact that there is so much exposed section means that there is a likelihood that the flex cable is going to "cable whip" and cause problem. It would be preferable to investigate how you can solve this issue satisfactorily. Common practice is 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch the most. Actually where your tube liner ends is how long this section should be.
I can't tell how low the stuffing tube is, show us more pictures.
Worse comes to worse is to redo the tube entirely, heat it up and the epoxy will get soft and pull out----I hate to entertain this possibility, but it may be a bullet that you have to bite.
More pictures = more people with more experience would chime in, hopefully.

xboxice
05-07-2015, 07:39 AM
No worries :)
I'll post more pic and closer ones as well.

785boats
05-09-2015, 06:15 PM
I have the same boat & haven't had a problem with the shaft like that. But I've always intended to extend the stuffing tube.
I've had bigger motors & props on it too. A SSS4074 2200kv & a TP 4050 2180kv

BUT!!! Yesterday I was running it with a cheap 4 pole 3674 2250kv motor & X 445 prop & one of the mounting screws must have worked loose & the motor twisted in the mount, & the screw popped up out of the slot in the mount. I heard a horrible noise as the boat came past me & immediately brought it in. It could have been running for about 3/4 of a lap before I heard the noise. Opening the sub hatch released a plume of smoke & I immediately thought I'd blown the $25.00 motor. But no. It was created by the flex shaft rubbing on the end of the stuffing tube which now started to look like the end of a trumpet, but all black. There was no burnt electronics smell.
The flex is still fine. But now is a good chance to extend the stuffing tube.
The moral of this little novella, xboxice, is to always check the tightness of the mounting screws in those slotted motor mounts.
It would have been a different story if the other screw had slipped out too.
I will be using bigger washers on them from now in.