PDA

View Full Version : Prop Balancers????

lonewolf
04-25-2015, 12:02 PM
I have been doing my own props for some time now. I recently got out my prop tools and noticed I was having a hard time balancing.....I am currently using the magnetic kind and have made all of my own. Quite simple actually that is until you get to the arbor....Has anyone actually balanced their arbor an what kind of arbors are ppl using???? I made a few 3/16 arbors on my lathe, only to find out the arbor is magnitized, not an easy task to fix without a coil. I also have a topflight magnetic for my plane props just not sure if i trust the rubber cones to keep the boat prop centered
So in short what kinds of balancers are guys using???
and what kind of arbors... I have two sets of props to do and just don't wanna worry about the balancer....
Am hoping some prop guys will chime in...Thanks guys!!!

kfxguy
04-25-2015, 01:01 PM
I use the top flight. Good enough for me to smash over 90mph in my mono and over 95mph in my cat. Revving on the bench reveals a smooth drivetrain. Keep in mind that your flex isn't balanced and everytime the prop blade hits the water it throws balance off. In short, get it as close as you can and your good to go.