PDA

View Full Version : Stuffing tube angles on jersey skiff

benji molina
04-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Hello,
So on my aero marine jersey skiff I have a stuffing tube obviously and I am wondering if I should run a s bent flex shaft or a straight stuffing tube either way the prop is obligated to rub behind the hull due to my strut setup. I really would like to run a straight setup so it is scale but I cannot comprehend how it would run with the prop at such an angle, how would I need to alter my setup in order for a straight shaft setup to work, trim tabs? etc??
Please help as this is my first boat build and I am beyond confused as to how it would run with the prop angled like it would with a straight shaft or it is on the aquacraft gunslinger.

Thanks everyone so much for the input.
-Ben

tlandauer
04-19-2015, 04:20 PM
I don't know much about this particular hull, but to give you a quick answer, the way the Gunslinger is set up, the prop is under the hull like in a real one. The other approach is to angle the stuffing tube like in a cat, strut in the back, not too scale looking but a proven set up. I have not seen (yet) a set up where the shaft is exited in the rear into either a stinger or strut like in a mono, may be it is just my ignorance.
You don't run a straight stuffing tube beyond the transom, if that's your question.
Properchopper has a great build and Ron1950 has some good videos of his runing. Their boats are set up differently as I recall, but if no one answers in the mean time, do a search.

benji molina
04-19-2015, 04:36 PM
Thanks for such a quick response! So I think we could possible be talking about different things but what do you mean when you say angle the stuffing tube like a cat?? What I was thinking of doing, just to make sure we are on the same page was having a hole in the flat part of my hull and having my stuffing tube exit there and run along the bottom of the hull, in the water until it meets the strut where it simply couples with the strut at an angle. I thought I had seen this done before but I can easily be wrong I cannot see it not working for example for any reason other than the prop being angled at a wierd way causing the lift to be off(please correct me). But the gunslingers prop is at a similar angle and that seems to work.

Thank you all
-Ben

tlandauer
04-19-2015, 10:15 PM
We are on the same page, but, if you run the tube out as you say, by the time it mates with the strut, it no longer needs an angle, can be parallel with the bottom, just like a single drive cat. That's what I mean.
The sub merged prop version as with the Gunslinger, has to have an angle, and for the relatively small size prop it uses, the angle is ok. I think in the hull that you are referring, in order to run a decent sized prop, the angle would have to be more pronounced, thus the tendency to use the other set up which frees the presence of an angle.