PDA

View Full Version : Chine Walking

AMP EATER
04-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Hey guys I cannot not seem to get it right in my hydro. I have the weight evenly distributed she rides on rails all the way up to 3/4 throttle and cruising, but as soon as I go all out she starts chining not to the point of a blow over enough to make me uncomfortable. Should the strut come down from the hull and turn fin out? Please any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Amp

JimClark
04-19-2015, 02:17 PM
What is the hull and setup

kfxguy
04-19-2015, 03:50 PM
I've notice a few things that cause it in my quest to run 90 with my little mono. I know hydro and mono aren't the same but you can use some of this to help you.

1) prop size. More pitch will cause it to chine.
2) lift. If you have a strut and/or a rudder that adds lift....try taking some away.
3) prop choice. A 3 blade is supposedly better at not causing chine walk. Also try a prop with less lift.
4) glass smooth water. I was getting it easier on glass water than with a little ripple. Unfortunately that's beyond your control...but just another variable to throw out there
5) strut height. If it's too low and too much blade is in the water that can add to it too.
6) rudder slack. If you have slack in the rudder and you hit a ripple (which you will) it can/will cause it to start chine walking. The less slack, the better. Tip: measure your rudder pin and get a pin .002 bigger. Grainger sells drill rod in almost any size you need. Look up a number drill size chart and it will tell you the measurements in thousandths. If you can get or find what you need, let me know I may have the size you need or can get it for you. They come in three foot sticks for about $3! And the stuff is hard!
7) steering rod. If it's flexible, bad. Make as stiff as possible. Make sure the rod ends have no slack. I cannot stress how important no slack is. Servo too...no slack.

I tested and tested all of them and then some (which don't apply to a mono) and finally got it past the 70 mark without chine walk.

AMP EATER
04-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Thanks Kx took away a little lift shimmed the slack out of my rudder BING FIXED THANKS

kfxguy
04-19-2015, 06:14 PM
Good deal man! Remember me next time I order something from you haha!