PDA

View Full Version : Normal to bend ABC props just running? MHz mystic

JMSCARD
04-13-2015, 12:31 PM
I did my maiden yesterday on 1816 abc 3 blade props on my mystic 114 with leopard 4082 d wind 2000kv motors on 6s.

Boat ran great with cool temps water was choppy when I ran the abc's so didn't really open it up.

Problem is I never hit anything, but was punching the throttle some and when the boat came into shore I noticed on both props some of actually almost all the blades were Bent to a reasonable amount... They weren't cheap props all balanced and sharpened and with a slight back cut... All I can figure is the motors torque bent the props? Anyone seen this before in high powered boats?

I ran my x447's the second run at higher speeds on smoother water and they didn't bend nor have any issues... Kinda bummed to Bend brand new fancy props though. Anyone heard of this before?

kfxguy
04-13-2015, 01:30 PM
I had one fold over on me. Was too thin and not hardened. The abc props are softer than octura too from what I remember the last time I did one.

srislash
04-13-2015, 01:37 PM
I folded all six blades on my Shocker. I too had thinned and sharpened them all pretty like(without hardening), then one run and garbage.

JMSCARD
04-13-2015, 01:41 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=em-upload_owner&v=CWtdvsCN3HM

This was with the x447's later that day after I trashed the abc props... The x447's and 6s still can back super cool temps, ticks me off as those abc's sounded awful good and were probably faster if i could have opened it up but it was choppy... Still want quite holding it wide open with the x447's either... Feathered it right before liftoff at the end of the vid... Carbon Kevlar MHz = zero damage... Glad to see it come back in perfect shape...

I wonder if I can get the abc props fixed or just toss them? I wasn't even really taching the boat out is what really makes me upset :)

dasboata
04-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Jason post some pics usually when they bend back the material stretches and its hard to get them back

JMSCARD
04-13-2015, 03:03 PM
Jason post some pics usually when they bend back the material stretches and its hard to get them back

Will do when I get home from work Chris, I already tried to bend them back actually lol... I probably made a mess of them... they look better then they did, just don't know that I trust them at all of course, not worth risking issues running them again, but if they can still be fixed and heat treated I might be up for it :) stinks as they seemed like they might be the hot setup on the boat, possibly a little better top end then the x447's....

Thanks Chris, I'll post pics when I get home later.

dasboata
04-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Sounds like they are wasted !!! Don't run them then not worth doing damage to your drive line

JMSCARD
04-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Haha... nope not gonna do it :) Dang though does stink, any way to make this not happen again if I want to get some more of the same props? Will the heat treating keep them from bending? Stinks as though it was rough it really had some zip with those props... til about half way through the run and I noticed it not having the zip it did at the beginning... lol I knew I shouldn't have done those few holeshots from a stop :)

dasboata
04-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Haha... nope not gonna do it :) Dang though does stink, any way to make this not happen again if I want to get some more of the same props? Will the heat treating keep them from bending? Stinks as though it was rough it really had some zip with those props... til about half way through the run and I noticed it not having the zip it did at the beginning... lol I knew I shouldn't have done those few holeshots from a stop :) LOL Harding will help ABC pretty much make really fast castings !

kfxguy
04-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Haha... nope not gonna do it :) Dang though does stink, any way to make this not happen again if I want to get some more of the same props? Will the heat treating keep them from bending? Stinks as though it was rough it really had some zip with those props... til about half way through the run and I noticed it not having the zip it did at the beginning... lol I knew I shouldn't have done those few holeshots from a stop :)

Hole shots is pretty hard on things. If you heat treat them, they should hold up. Who did those props? I had a guy do a prop for me a while back (forgot his name) prop looked great, thin, sharp but he failed to tell me that he didn't harden it and it needed to be hardened. $65 down the drain for one prop. Ever since then I've been getting Dasboata to take care of me or doing my own props. What I've been doing really is ill do my own, find what the boat likes then have Dasboata do one up for me and it improves on what I have.

JMSCARD
04-13-2015, 03:59 PM
They were done by Andy Brown.... not Propworks and NOT Dasboata

And Travis I wasn't real aggressive in the holes shots... More mid throttle pulls from stop, the x447's I used after didn't need any help launching the boat that's for sure.

kfxguy
04-13-2015, 04:35 PM
They were done by Andy Brown.... not Propworks and NOT Dasboata

And Travis I wasn't real aggressive in the holes shots... More mid throttle pulls from stop, the x447's I used after didn't need any help launching the boat that's for sure.

edit....

JMSCARD
04-13-2015, 04:37 PM
I'm almost positive that's who did my my prop. He got pissy with me when told him I bent them back. The first thing he asked was if I hardened them. I said no. He never mentioned it until after I bent the blades back. I think he should have said something beforehand. After all, I paid the same price from Dasboata for a hardened prop.

Yeh, its not as if a abc three blade counter rotating set isn't going on a high performance boat.... he def should mention that they need heat treating if hes going to sell them that way, the right thing is to do the heat treating himself.... as we buy props from people to get pro results, not so we have to finish the process....

I won't be using his props anymore lol.

I'm happy with the x447's on the boat anyhow, good mix of speed... and they don't cavitate much at all... any more speed and It won't be as realiable as it seems now, everything comes back nice an cool, and I don't know what you think the speed is in the vid (haven't gps'd boat yet) but the last pass was the fastest and even then I wasn't totally full roost full trigger the whole pass, I think it has another 5mph in it if I had.

As for the ABC props, Ill toss them in the garbage and chaulk it up to lesson learned.... wish I could say you get what you pay for but that's not the case here!

kfxguy
04-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Yeh, its not as if a abc three blade counter rotating set isn't going on a high performance boat.... he def should mention that they need heat treating if hes going to sell them that way, the right thing is to do the heat treating himself.... as we buy props from people to get pro results, not so we have to finish the process....

I won't be using his props anymore lol.

Dasboata is the only one I know that heat treats his props if you specify thin. He will let you know and give you an option. He knows how thin you can go before it needs treating.

JMSCARD
04-13-2015, 04:49 PM
Yeh Andy is probably to used to doing props for those Stinky, Slow gas boat thingys' lol.... haha... just kidding not trying to bash him here... Tis what it is, guess I'll make sure my props come from Chris from now on!

dasboata
04-13-2015, 06:22 PM
I'm almost positive that's who did my my prop. He got pissy with me when told him I bent them back. The first thing he asked was if I hardened them. I said no. He never mentioned it until after I bent the blades back. I think he should have said something beforehand. After all, I paid the same price from Dasboata for a hardened prop.

Travis pretty sure you told me you got it from Mark Sloland. Andy Brown does excellent props and knows boats inside out.. Really not his fault the blades bent back none of these props were really designed for the RPM we are throwing at them !!! I also get a $25 charge to run my oven which cost me $700- so it is not something all guys have, and really only a few guys request it

kfxguy
04-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Yeh Andy is probably to used to doing props for those Stinky, Slow gas boat thingys' lol.... haha... just kidding not trying to bash him here... Tis what it is, guess I'll make sure my props come from Chris from now on!

I'm not trying to either. we actually bumped heads at first but we got things settled. He offered to take the prop back and give me credit towards another one, but by that time......i was so ticked i took a hammer to it and took my frustration out on it. I figured if i sent it back to him in that condition, it would insult him so i just told him i tossed it in the garbage. lol

kfxguy
04-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Travis pretty sure you told me you got it from Mark Sloland. Andy Brown does excellent props and knows boats inside out.. Really not his fault the blades bent back none of these props were really designed for the RPM we are throwing at them !!!

your correct! I'm apologize, it wasnt anbdy, it was mark. We did get things sorted out....but as i said above....

p.s. I'm bad with names and my memory sucks sometimes.....lol (apologies!)

dasboata
04-13-2015, 06:29 PM
your correct! I'm apologize, it wasnt anbdy, it was mark. We did get things sorted out....but as i said above....

p.s. I'm bad with names and my memory sucks sometimes.....lol (apologies!)

If your bad wait till you get my age LOL

JMSCARD
04-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Just FYI, Andy has agreed to look at the props... and help with costs or warranty.... I'm not upset in anyway with him, the quality of his work on the props looked VERY good, def knows what he is doing.... fact is they were intended for a slightly lesser powered boat, like 5s running... Its not his fault in anyway, and he said that there is a fine line when doing them as far as thinning and sharpening the abc props as heat treating them thinned as much as they were also can make them brittle.... basically this all boils down to trials and tribulations of FE boating, I think we can all agree a prop issue like this is not the end of the world.... lesson learned.... guess its like going to your doctor, and not telling him that you smoke or drink when you go in for liver or lung problems lol... the doctor needs to know whats a happenin! lol..

Chaulk it up to the FE gods, I honestly had never seen them bend under load like this before.... but I also have used Octuras 99% of the time in the past so little experience with ABC's....