PDA

View Full Version : 27" Vee toy hull, full modification..........yep another

Make-a-Wake
03-29-2015, 09:54 PM
I really dig beefin up 'decent' Toy hulls and this is my third of this type, Syma twin drive with the exclusive "vector" thrust steering........LOL. This boat however owns the fastest speed of non proportional Rc boats in stock form(Musculus real close)

My first two were brushless singles, this one will be using the stock drives to keep the original toy look to it but with a surprise of big power increase.

I will be running this on 2s lipo per motor and the motors are fairly hot 19t Double wind modified Orions that I have had laying around for years. It came with weenie 370 silver cans and still out of the box hits about 18-20mph. I'm thinking I may be able to hit 35..........that's my goal as something fun to shoot for.

I will only be adding one exterior item that will not look stock, a centermount rudder, a small one, and no tabs or fins. It will run with two ESC's and not utilize the stock vector steering(one motor slows to turn) and a basic type servo.

Make-a-Wake
03-29-2015, 09:58 PM
More, last picture is of my fastest brushless one.............still run it quite a bit

seehuusen
03-30-2015, 08:01 PM
I do like this shape hull better than my musculus, but none were available when I purchased mine...
Perhaps I'll keep an eye out for one and make that version 3 :p

I'll be following this with interest :)

Are you keeping the stock props as well?
It'd be interesting to see how the stock prop shafts hold up to the added power.

Cheers,
Martin

Make-a-Wake
03-30-2015, 09:33 PM
Hi Martin, These are available at many online stores............ebay for sure, at around 50 bucks. The stock electronics from this one and the twin drives from another one will be put into ANOTHER toy mod.........a New bright 24" Fountain(stock submerged rubber prop LOL). These are simply for fun and give me tinkering to do.

I will be running the stock props first, OSE has Octura x437's in both directions if I start throwing blades. The rpms are right at 21,000 unloaded. I cant imagine the load being much at all with this 1 oz. hull(seems like it.....SO light)

Make-a-Wake
03-31-2015, 12:25 AM
Got some more done.

Motors in real solid now as I added metal bands on top as well.

I have a perfecrt ESC for this boat, its a truck ESC but has a cooling fan and is rated for around 18v, PLUS has two sets of motor wires and has a high amp capacity. I realize that non-water cooled components are not for boats but with this setup the motors have the fans and so does the ESC and my estimate is 30a draw per motor........so about 400-500 watts total. Not a real "hot setup" to start with. The power is most likely triple at least from stock form.

Found an old school rudder in my "box"(love my box) and it will fit perfectly between the props. Had to make a steering tiller on top from a servo arm lol...........haven't had to buy anything for this build!

785boats
03-31-2015, 03:07 PM
AAAAAH!!! My first FE conversion many years ago. The Bat Boat, as we used to call it. I put a Lightning 700 Neo X brushed motor in it, running on 12 of those old IB4200 round cell things.:laugh: But that's what got me started on this road.

Always love your conversions mate.

Make-a-Wake
03-31-2015, 03:09 PM
Thanks Paul...............yep, this hull is very decent for a toy and has good lines, it was my third boat many years ago behind two Villains..........my first two of these were brushless.

I bet your 700 Neo scooted along quite nicely........30-ish+??

785boats
03-31-2015, 03:21 PM
Yep. Probably around that. That's when we thought 35mph was fast.
I later put an Ammo 2300kv motor in it which made it a bit more lively.

Make-a-Wake
03-31-2015, 11:32 PM
Rudder is on, real good size for this hull, worked out well since it was just laying around.

Servo will fit nicely right in the back center

Made a Lipo "tray" if you wanna call it that by moving the old NiCad end holders, still gonna add some Velcro.

Decided to run it on 2s 1p, that will give each motor 2500mah, should be plenty for a four or five minute run.

Make-a-Wake
04-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Maiden run for this Toy on steroids.............

Everything went well and temps were minimal all around, ran it on 2s1p which I figure is plenty for two brushed motors pulling about 30 amps each. It's putting out in the 450 watt range which isn't bad for twin brushed in a small light hull. Steering worked great, and it ran just a hair wet, could be the extra weight. Anyhow, it probably went about 26-28 and very stable. I think I can upgrade the props as these are 38mm and seem to be about a 1.2 pitch. I think I may be able to go with a couple 35mm in 1.4 pitch if I can find them. I need to check the diameter of the drives. Looks to be 1/8 inch.