PDA

View Full Version : Infrared heaters.

Doozie870
09-20-2008, 09:53 PM
This is almost comical to me, a new business moved in next door and they are selling infrared heaters. I had an opportunity to look inside one and it consists of a halogen 110V bulb inside an aluminum tube approx. 2" with a small computer size fan blowing over it. They sell 5 or 6 a day at $350-$500 a pop, depending on the cabinet. How many stupid people are there in this country?

Mich. Maniac
09-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Hmm, with what we pay for natural gas (at least here in Michigan) I kinda wish I could convert over to electric heat and hot water. I dont know what these units you speak of are exactly for but I dont think they would do anything much but keep something from freezing... maybe!

Quicksilver
09-21-2008, 10:53 AM
lol, I can see it now, throw out your energy saving CFL lights and upgrade to heat producing halogen bulbs. :roflol: for $5 more you can get the amazing halogen skillet, throw out your primitive gas stove for the heat wave of the future....sunglasses are recommended.

lonewolf
09-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Halogens are used for a variaty of things. I do know thay are used for saltwater aquariums and the simple light fixture with bulb goes for about 150$ Its the bulb thats spendy....

Quicksilver
09-21-2008, 09:32 PM
that depends, I've got two 500w halogen floodlights, that basically light up an entire yard(like it's daytime) for $50.

Back in my youth lol, we used to heat up pizza using them. You could actually make them well done and in fact one not so bright friend left a slice on too long and it lit on fire.

heating and such with halogens works, but it's like shooting a chipmunk with a 12gauge. just not very appropriate.