PDA

View Full Version : Seaking T180 cuts out at full throttle?????

boatbandit2
03-25-2015, 12:38 AM
Hi All
This is my setup 4082 2000kv leopard and a 180 esc with a extra 5 cap pack running silver series revolectrix 3s in series (6s)and I can run up to 3/4 throttle then when I hit full it cuts out and in about four times then I can get full throttle. if I hit full throttle from half throttle it does the same. I have tried to run auto calculate on the esc and 3.0 lvc and I have tried setting the esc to 6s.

champion221elite
03-25-2015, 09:30 AM
Try removing the voltage cut entirely. Sometimes the voltage protection is a little too aggresive and causes the esc to cut out. Just time your runs.

tlandauer
03-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Sound advice!
it is odd, because the 180 ESC is known to have LVC issues, and with packs that are prone to have voltage sag I would say your case is the same. But you are using Revolectrix----a brand that is lauded as being good at holding its voltage well among other attributes . How old are your packs?

Peter A
03-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Could just be the esc. I have a T120 that started going to lvc after a couple of laps, I suspect on inspection that it may have got a little bit of water in it as some of the sealant I put in the end of the heatshrink has pulled away. Has it had any water in it? Also what hull, prop etc. and are you using the esc's bec or running a separate batt for the receiver?

nata2run
03-25-2015, 07:07 PM
I am yet to find a T180 that works with LVC on.... so far removing it is the only solution. I don't think the LVC kicks in because of a voltage drop, but rather a flaw in the ESC/or firmware itself. You can always have a beeper/alarm installed to your pack/s if you are worried, or listen to the RPM pitch on the motors. When they start to loose performance, you can bring the boat in :-)

tlandauer
03-25-2015, 07:13 PM
I am yet to find a T180 that works with LVC on.... so far removing it is the only solution. I don't think the LVC kicks in because of a voltage drop, but rather a flaw in the ESC/or firmware itself. You can always have a beeper/alarm installed to your pack/s if you are worried, or listen to the RPM pitch on the motors. When they start to loose performance, you can bring the boat in :-)
That will be a good explanation, I whole heartily agree, because none of my 180 has actually had this issue ( with LVC on that is :buttrock:) and I was sometimes ( in the pass) using some pretty old and cheap cells like Skylipo.

boatbandit2
03-26-2015, 01:44 AM
Hi all
I have only done three runs with my revo packs, I have some trunigy nano tech packs and it does the same. I just go home from doing a run with the lvc off and my cell count on 6s and still having problems? :frusty:
I am running it in a cf river cat with a x442 or a m445 balanced and sharpened . I am running a separate bec. It will only run 115 khp ,I am lost as I have had it running a lot quicker the 11khp and that is with it cutting in and out I will get my son to film it when I have him on the weekend or someone else if I can.

boatbandit2
03-26-2015, 01:56 AM
I haven't disconnected the red lead going into the receiver?

boatbandit2
03-26-2015, 01:59 AM

Thanks for the advice I run my boat today with lvc off and no difference.

tlandauer
03-26-2015, 04:01 AM
I have not used a separate BEC , seems to me that is your problem. It would make more sense if you disconnect the red pin on the ESC. ( Get a short extension and do it on the extension).
My point is not to tell you what to do but to remind you of the extension trick that I learned.

boatbandit2
03-26-2015, 04:38 AM
I have not used a separate BEC , seems to me that is your problem. It would make more sense if you disconnect the red pin on the ESC. ( Get a short extension and do it on the extension).
My point is not to tell you what to do but to remind you of the extension trick that I learned.

Thanks a friendly reminder is good, I shall give it a go tomorrow.

nata2run
03-26-2015, 07:56 AM
I always run mine with the red wire disconnected. Also is your lipo cell count set to 6s? Sometimes ESC's can have problems if set to auto detect, but I forgot if the 180 has that feature. But if all those settings are applied and still nothing, try to recalibrate the throttle one ESC at the time (if twin)

T.S.Davis
03-26-2015, 09:25 AM
I have 6 Seakings now and have not had issue with the LVC. Makes me wonder if there was a batch of weirdness or something.

I'll check my settings when I get a chance. I don't think they are off.

Peter A
03-26-2015, 03:07 PM
I have two T-180's and have not had the LVC issue, granted that they only run 4s setups. LVC is usually set to 3.0v.
OP have you checked the timing setting, and are the caps still ok?

revoltrunner
03-26-2015, 04:05 PM
the solder joints between your battery wires and esc don't look very good.

kfxguy
03-26-2015, 04:34 PM
the solder joints between your battery wires and esc don't look very good.

I put that esc together for him. what you see is liquid electrical tape over the solder. This is the same exact setup that i had in my rivercat. Is the Lvc programmed off? I WOULD NOT USE the built in bec on 6s. I thought I sent you a external bec with it?

edit. Looks like you have the bec hooked up, did you remove the red wire out of the esc to receiver plug? Looks like its plugged in.....back feeding into the bec is not a good thing.

revoltrunner
03-26-2015, 04:44 PM
is the red wire on top of the other one for the bec.

kfxguy
03-26-2015, 04:54 PM
is the red wire on top of the other one for the bec.

The smallest wire is for the bec. Next biggest it the cap bank. Then of course the large one is battery.

T.S.Davis
03-26-2015, 05:20 PM
Couple observations. Revos are said to deliver more voltage than a standard 6s pack. If the cells are delivering more voltage than the unit is expecting to see maybe that would make it gink out. I don't really know on that.

2000kv is a lot for 6s. High RPM coupled with high.....ish voltage and you might be over 180amps on acceleration and it's cutting you off before bad things happen.

No data. Just food for thought.

kfxguy
03-26-2015, 05:30 PM
Couple observations. Revos are said to deliver more voltage than a standard 6s pack. If the cells are delivering more voltage than the unit is expecting to see maybe that would make it gink out. I don't really know on that.

2000kv is a lot for 6s. High RPM coupled with high.....ish voltage and you might be over 180amps on acceleration and it's cutting you off before bad things happen.

you have a point about the kv of the motor. My setup was a lower kv motor, I never had an isuue of it cutting out with revos. I even ran the esc on 7s (not this exact one but one just like it) with revos and it lasted a long time till I tried 8s (I know its designed for 6s lol). so I'm thinking the kv could be a little too high or it doesnt like the bec back feeding thats going on OR it messed up something back feeding.

T.S.Davis
03-26-2015, 07:24 PM
We've had such good luck with these. I'm reaching probably trying to help. I can't put my finger on what's going on with this one.

nata2run
03-26-2015, 07:35 PM

The T180 has a burst of 360A or so. I have personally clocked 385A :-) (Eagle Tree) The ESC's should cope with +-1V easy, as some folks have run this ESC on 7s for a long time. I think the conclusion of this issue should be tested with another ESC of similar kind "seaking/turnigy" (they are cheap these days) It could be anything really? and if OP had it running smooth before and nothing was changed, chances are that something went wrong. They are probably cheap for a reason? A few weeks ago one of mine went for no reason, was doing some testing on the bench. Hooked up the lipo and a small amount of smoke came from one of the resistors near the power leads. There was no reason why this should of happened. Never seen water, never hot, always clean, no problems before, but out of nowhere POOF.

kfxguy
03-26-2015, 07:52 PM
We've had such good luck with these. I'm reaching probably trying to help. I can't put my finger on what's going on with this one.

I've had good luck too. Great esc's. Love them. Just wish they would offer a higher voltage one like it and be as robust. I think his problem has something to do with running external bec power into the receiver and also running power into the receiver via the esc's built in bec. That can't be a good thing in my opinion. I was worried that may be a error on my part but I just went back through our emails and saw where I had mentioned not to use the internal bec above 6s and that's why I included an external one and to unplug the red wire on the esc receiver plug.....howver I may have not made that extremely clear. This was sold to him at the time of a death in my family of a close relative (I noticed we had a couple emails back and forth about it) and in my defense I was having a hard time with the sudden loss in my family and I wasn't quite in the right state of mind at that time. So to the op, if it's a problem with the esc, I'll do what I can to get you taken care of. I know he never even mentioned me (and that shows great character on his part!) so whatever we gotta do to get you going. I'll even go as far as buy you another esc and wire it up like that one. Let's see if we can get it lined out first and go from there.

champion221elite
03-26-2015, 09:10 PM
I have two of these SK 180 V2 esc's

One has been totally trouble free, and the other gave me fits until I disconnected the internal BEC and run a separate Rx pack.

Both are dedicated 6s setups. On my BJ29, I run a Leopard 3674 motor rated at 1400 kv. On this one, I've never had an issue with heat and run the internal BEC 100% of the time. It's a pretty conservative setup even with an M545 prop.

My other boat is a 29" Sprint Cat running a Leopard 4082 rated at 1600 kv. On this boat, the LVC would cut in at anything over 75% throttle. I had to totally remove the LVC protection and just monitor my packs until I came up with a safe run time. Even still, heat was still an issue for this boat. I disabled the internal BEC and just run an Rx pack. The heat issues are gone now even when turning an X448 prop.

Not saying that's the OP's issue, but 2000 kv on a 6s setup running high voltage packs could be causing the ESC to go into a protection mode and thus killing the throttle until you back off.

Spartanator
03-26-2015, 09:30 PM
What radio system are you running?
2000kv on 6s is a bit out of the norm. I have only had issues with my SK180V2s' (V3 is pretty good) when it got wet, the LVC did not work on my Version 2 models though before it got wet... I always time the runs. What is your motor timing? Travis is pretty good at the boat building and setups, he has never ever done me wrong and I have been happy with the RiverCat he built me (Kicking myself for selling it still). Try to get the BEC sorted out first though...

boatbandit2
03-26-2015, 10:58 PM
I've had good luck too. Great esc's. Love them. Just wish they would offer a higher voltage one like it and be as robust. I think his problem has something to do with running external bec power into the receiver and also running power into the receiver via the esc's built in bec. That can't be a good thing in my opinion. I was worried that may be a error on my part but I just went back through our emails and saw where I had mentioned not to use the internal bec above 6s and that's why I included an external one and to unplug the red wire on the esc receiver plug.....howver I may have not made that extremely clear. This was sold to him at the time of a death in my family of a close relative (I noticed we had a couple emails back and forth about it) and in my defense I was having a hard time with the sudden loss in my family and I wasn't quite in the right state of mind at that time. So to the op, if it's a problem with the esc, I'll do what I can to get you taken care of. I know he never even mentioned me (and that shows great character on his part!) so whatever we gotta do to get you going. I'll even go as far as buy you another esc and wire it up like that one. Let's see if we can get it lined out first and go from there.

Hey Travis, yes you had a lot on your plate and I appreciate everything you have done, I would never have mentioned you. You build quality parts and boats! The esc was doing before I run the external bec , I run it today with lvc cut off and set to 6s and the red internal bec wire disconnected. It could be just a bad esc.

boatbandit2
03-26-2015, 11:01 PM
I was running it on trunigy packs before the revos, my temps are so low i manged to get 119khp, I have a *!***!***!***!**ty video of the boat cut in and out as it was hard to film and control the boat
http://youtu.be/q4OoOKO8fQQ

boatbandit2
03-26-2015, 11:51 PM
I have had a T180 in a hobbyking apparition running a 3674 2200kv and trunigy batteries with a x442130047130048 Here is a clip of it running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPU2KepYZVM

boatbandit2
03-26-2015, 11:56 PM
Hi i built the boat travis was so kind to build me a esc and send over parts that i couldn't get, he is a top bloke and yes builds super awesome boats. my radio is futaba 3PM-X 3-Channel 2.4GHz Computer Radio

Peter A
03-27-2015, 12:02 AM
Ha, was watching the video and recognised the pond at Wattle Downs.

kfxguy
03-27-2015, 12:48 AM
That thing is hauling!

boatbandit2
03-27-2015, 02:36 AM
Ha, was watching the video and recognised the pond at Wattle Downs.

Yes it is its very hard to film and operate

boatbandit2
03-27-2015, 02:38 AM
That thing is hauling!

That means a lot coming from you.....It is I would get more speed with a longer run as the cut out takes over a 1/4 of the pond up.

boatbandit2
03-27-2015, 02:40 AM
So does anyone have any ideas from my crap video....

tlandauer
03-27-2015, 03:05 AM
Sounds like "miss firing" more than cutting out. Did you unplug the red wire?
If you did all the suggested measures, may be it is the combination of relatively high kv with 6s and the electronics having hiccups?? The sound reminds me of my Lizard Xtreme, although I have it on 4s2p with only a Leopard 4o82/2000kv, that particular ESC (same as yours) was involved in a total submersion albeit no damage was found at the time. It will always cut out and I changed my radio and was the same thing.
Not suggesting your ESC has had any similar fate but rather that the electronics may be at fault. The only way to verify and narrow down the cause is to swap out the ESC with a known problem-free one.
May be your external BEC is at fault??? :noidea:

boatbandit2
03-27-2015, 04:44 AM
Sounds like "miss firing" more than cutting out. Did you unplug the red wire?
If you did all the suggested measures, may be it is the combination of relatively high kv with 6s and the electronics having hiccups?? The sound reminds me of my Lizard Xtreme, although I have it on 4s2p with only a Leopard 4o82/2000kv, that particular ESC (same as yours) was involved in a total submersion albeit no damage was found at the time. It will always cut out and I changed my radio and was the same thing.
Not suggesting your ESC has had any similar fate but rather that the electronics may be at fault. The only way to verify and narrow down the cause is to swap out the ESC with a known problem-free one.
May be your external BEC is at fault??? :noidea:

Classic do you know anyone who can tune it?:biggrin: Do you think I should give it a hit on the back to fix the hiccups? :just-kidding:Yes I did unplug the red wire, I shall have to find a spare one to try out

kfxguy
03-27-2015, 07:59 AM
I'd try what tlandaur said. Maybe back it down to 5s and use internal bec. You may have hurt the external bec with the back feeding. Those be a have worked well for me but I'm sure you can get a bad one sooner or later.

boatbandit2
03-27-2015, 03:16 PM
I'd try what tlandaur said. Maybe back it down to 5s and use internal bec. You may have hurt the external bec with the back feeding. Those be a have worked well for me but I'm sure you can get a bad one sooner or later.

I think it is just a bad one as it has been doing it from day one, I got up early this morning to try it on 5s with the internal one run then only the external for one run and still the same, I will look for a replacement.

tlandauer
03-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Classic do you know anyone who can tune it?:biggrin: Do you think I should give it a hit on the back to fix the hiccups? :just-kidding:Yes I did unplug the red wire, I shall have to find a spare one to try out

If I could tune my boats the way I tune my cello, my boats will be a lot faster and you will see all the records that I would have broken. :tongue:

kfxguy
03-27-2015, 04:41 PM
I think it is just a bad one as it has been doing it from day one, I got up early this morning to try it on 5s with the internal one run then only the external for one run and still the same, I will look for a replacement.

If you want, send it back to me. I have another one for my sons boat I can send you. I'll just pick another one up for him before I finish his build.

airbiscuit
06-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Hello guys,

Apologies to post on an old thread, but I just need to ask. I am new to RC Boating, so wanting to know how do you actually use/wire/install an external BEC to your boat?

Fluid
06-20-2016, 11:00 AM
Jimmy, you really need to start a new thread if you want many answers. Resurrected old threads sometimes do not get much traffic, and your question has little to do with the topic title..