PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices?

Doozie870
09-19-2008, 09:43 PM
At one point, I saw the price of gas is 80% based from the price of crude, with crude soon to fall below $90 would that not make a gallon of gas around $1.76?

Diegoboy
09-19-2008, 10:14 PM
I can only HOPE so!

Mich. Maniac
09-19-2008, 10:23 PM
That must be a liter or something. I dont see them bringing it down that far. Even if its true then why? Is there suddenly a surplus of oil? I kinda doubt it. I would be filling up my swimming pool if it does!

Bill-SOCAL
09-19-2008, 11:39 PM
A barrel of oil is 42 gallons. Each barrel of oil yields about 19 gallons of gas. So about 45% of the barrel makes gas. At just the price of a barrel gas would be about $2.25 a gallon. Add in refining costs, finding costs, production costs, transportation and such, and there you go. $4 gasoline.

Ub Hauled
09-20-2008, 12:07 AM
I was listening to NPR and an "expert" was saying that the low prices of the barrel will not reflect at the pump for another 3-4 weeks due to market instability, speculation, yadda, yadda.
In any case, he expects the prices to drop 30-40 cents from what they are now... in my area that would be 3.30 give or take a few cents.
I say, are we suppose to be "happy" with the prices over 3bux? I don't expect it to ever to go down to under 2 dollars but I'd be "ok" with it being somewhere in the 2.50 department up to 2.70... is that ever going to happen? Unlikely.
So I buy electric boats and eventually a car.
:w00t:

Bill-SOCAL
09-20-2008, 01:26 AM
Trouble is that electric cars need electricity to be charged. That is often times generated using coal fired plants. Nasty stuff coal. It would be fine if industry would pay to burn it cleanly, but they refuse to do that and the coal lobby is HUGE.

Ub Hauled
09-20-2008, 02:01 AM
I knew I could count on your input Bill
:smile:
I understand that, the coal is some nasty stuff. But i am counting on other power sources...
CNG, UNG, Solar, wind, etc. I'd make sure I would not be sponsoring any nastyness.
:thumbup:

Quicksilver
09-21-2008, 10:49 AM
burning coal "cleanly" could be a whole topic in itself. Somehow I've gotten used to gas prices, it's causing me to look for a new job, but I dont think about it like I used to to. was 4.29, now 3.69. tis a brave new world where things that werent luxury items, slowly are becoming them, incl milk.

Spot Me 2
09-24-2008, 01:16 PM
I wish I had your gas prices. Gas is $4.05 here. It must be the transportation charges. There are only 9 major refineries within 50 miles of me?????????

Ub Hauled
09-24-2008, 02:34 PM
there's a refinery 20 miles away from here and gas prices in LA are one of the worst in the country...
it's not that... there must be a different price table calculation for the "locals".
Crazy regardless.

azjc
09-24-2008, 06:46 PM
here in Phoenix gas prices are not as bad as other parts of the country, I just filled up @ Costco and it was $3.35 PG and I thought they were giving it away....LOL...but IMO the way to go is hydrogen you can either convert combustion engines to use it and the exaust produces H2O, or you can use it as power cells using water to produce electricity. But I would be surprised to see it happen in my lifetime....(we all know big business runs our country)....but we have such better alternatives at our disposial (wind, solar, geothermal) than to strip our earth of fossil fuels, not to sound too Democratic here because I am not

Avanti
09-24-2008, 08:30 PM
too bad oil spiked up again
I don't think we will ever see gas below 3.00 again, sad to say

ice329
09-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Gas will come down to about 3, I think, problem is we in NC and SC have a shortage, ya there are gas lines everyplace and they are limiting the amount you can get. One of the storms disrupted the flow here or some bull like that.

Doozie870
10-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Confused more than ever (which doesnt take much) $79 a barrel now. I thought the world dried up?

Avanti
10-10-2008, 11:34 PM
regular has dropped to $3.29 here in St Pete, FL
it even has my hopes up that we will see it under $3 again soon
but that could be wishful thinking on my part

Steven Vaccaro
10-11-2008, 06:57 AM
My sister called me yesterday to tell me a station about 5 miles away is at $2.99

Diegoboy
10-11-2008, 07:45 AM
I had to service the system at a station here locally, their pumps were down from midnight to 4:30pm. When I got the pumps working, they started selling gas for $2.98 yesterday

ace028
10-11-2008, 12:32 PM
In my area one gas station on my way to work started selling for 3.23, which was 30-40 cents cheaper then anyone else, I noticed it on the way to work, when I was coming home, it was packed, lines out into the street, it was madness. Now the station is at 3.37, which is still a little bit cheaper then the rest. I waited till the madness ended, and still got "cheap" gas, for 3.37. I did not want to waste 2 hours in line waiting to save 1.00 on filling a whole tank.

I'm ready for the electric cars, tesla motors I think installs solar panels on your house to aid in the electricity for charging. If I had a house instead of a apartment, I would really consider buying electric, but no where to charge it right now.

rockwerks
10-11-2008, 12:39 PM
At one point, I saw the price of gas is 80% based from the price of crude, with crude soon to fall below $90 would that not make a gallon of gas around $1.76?

We wish that where the case. In this country speculation of crude has almost as strong of driving force in the price. The last 2 price hikes where from oil speculators driving up the price of a barrel by nearly $20.00.

I feel that speculation of oil, propane, natural gas should be illegal.

azjc
10-12-2008, 05:08 PM
In my area one gas station on my way to work started selling for 3.23, which was 30-40 cents cheaper then anyone else, I noticed it on the way to work, when I was coming home, it was packed, lines out into the street, it was madness. Now the station is at 3.37, which is still a little bit cheaper then the rest. I waited till the madness ended, and still got "cheap" gas, for 3.37. I did not want to waste 2 hours in line waiting to save 1.00 on filling a whole tank.

I'm ready for the electric cars, tesla motors I think installs solar panels on your house to aid in the electricity for charging. If I had a house instead of a apartment, I would really consider buying electric, but no where to charge it right now.

I did some investagating a while back about electric cars...the Tesla's were the cheaper ones converting a Lotus convertable using a single BL motor the size of a beer keg and using lithium ion batteries cost was about 100k and there was a British company that used smaller BL motors ( one at each wheel ) and a better battery technology (lithium nano) but was going to sell for $300k...IMO we will need to wait at least another 5 yrs before it becomes a reality...these are both high performance sports cars and why they can't convert average cars at a lower price is beyond me

ace028
10-12-2008, 06:15 PM
The tesla isn't a converted lotus, it is based on a lotus chassis, the body is tesla designed, but looks similar to lotus styling, it is a great foundation to build on, and its a USA based company, one of the founders is the guy that invented paypal. 100k, isn't cheap in my pocket, thats what I make after 4 years before the government takes their share. I beleive they chose lithuim ion because of the cost, and the safty, they are cheaper, and are a reletively safe chemistry that can take a charge in 3 hours, and still do 3.9 sec 0-60 with average range of 240 miles, not too bad for a US start up company, with no other competition. They are planing on building a very expensive factory in San Jose, making a lot of jobs for us in CA, and producing a slightly more affordable car for a family, with exceptional performance, and a price probably aroud 50k. I would like to go see the tesla at the dealer. My hopes are that it is going to be super high quality (unlike other us manufactors) and will be gladly accepted as a alternative to gas. Its already superior in our hobby, why not the real world, it also would bring more demand for technology for motors and batteries, which would also bring a benefit to our passion rc boats. I would hope that they kept in mind for better batteries, so that they can be swaped out for upgraded units.

Not only will you save money from not using gas, you will have increased reliability, virtually no maintence, brake pads will last forever with regen breaking- so cleaner air, less need for oil. The only thing we are really lacking is distance and charge times and stations. 200+ miles aint bad, waiting 3 hours to charge really isn't that bad, but it would not be that great for driving on a trip.

Spot Me 2
10-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I filled up for $2.89 a gallon yesterday in SW Michigan. Gas is still $3.29 here in NW indiana. I guess I pay more for being a 1/2 hr away from Chicago.:unsure:

Avanti
10-12-2008, 07:02 PM
$3.25 at my local Shell I'll be seeing them tomorrow at some point

azjc
10-12-2008, 09:30 PM
The tesla isn't a converted lotus, it is based on a lotus chassis, the body is tesla designed, but looks similar to lotus styling, it is a great foundation to build on, and its a USA based company, one of the founders is the guy that invented paypal. 100k, isn't cheap in my pocket, thats what I make after 4 years before the government takes their share. I beleive they chose lithuim ion because of the cost, and the safty, they are cheaper, and are a reletively safe chemistry that can take a charge in 3 hours, and still do 3.9 sec 0-60 with average range of 240 miles, not too bad for a US start up company, with no other competition. They are planing on building a very expensive factory in San Jose, making a lot of jobs for us in CA, and producing a slightly more affordable car for a family, with exceptional performance, and a price probably aroud 50k. I would like to go see the tesla at the dealer. My hopes are that it is going to be super high quality (unlike other us manufactors) and will be gladly accepted as a alternative to gas. Its already superior in our hobby, why not the real world, it also would bring more demand for technology for motors and batteries, which would also bring a benefit to our passion rc boats. I would hope that they kept in mind for better batteries, so that they can be swaped out for upgraded units.

Not only will you save money from not using gas, you will have increased reliability, virtually no maintence, brake pads will last forever with regen breaking- so cleaner air, less need for oil. The only thing we are really lacking is distance and charge times and stations. 200+ miles aint bad, waiting 3 hours to charge really isn't that bad, but it would not be that great for driving on a trip.

the expensive part of the Tesla or any electric car would be battery replacement, Tesla suggests 100,000 miles or 5 yrs

RCprince
10-12-2008, 09:46 PM
we have here 3.09 at a race trac and 2.99 at a hess station by Disney an 2.91 in Winter Garden.

ace028
10-12-2008, 10:17 PM
the expensive part of the Tesla or any electric car would be battery replacement, Tesla suggests 100,000 miles or 5 yrs

True, but the hybrids are rated similarly.

Eodman
10-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Since when was a 50k car considered affordable? Don't you folks have kids to put thru college?

RCprince
10-12-2008, 11:29 PM
50,000 cars thats worth 35,000 when it leaves the lot and 25, 000 a month later.

Doozie870
10-14-2008, 08:51 PM
I conserve energy where I can. But when my dodge dually, clubcab, 4x4,diesel (big mofo) is getting 22 mpg, its really time to rethink the benifits of hybrids.

Ub Hauled
10-14-2008, 11:58 PM
WOW... you have a diesel that does ONLY 22mpg?
That must be crazy power! Talking about towing homes around!
:smile:

ace028
10-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Since when was a 50k car considered affordable? Don't you folks have kids to put thru college?

I said slightly more affordable when refering to the 100k tesla, I didn't say cheap. I know 50k is a lot for me, I barely make half that in a year, before the governments steals some lol.

I don't have kids yet to put through college, but I had to pay my own way through college... wait I still am paying, (I got suckered in to wyotech:ThumbsDown01:, its going to be years before I pay that off:doh:).