PDA

View Full Version : New NAMBA Scale Chairman

Mike McKnight
03-14-2015, 01:50 PM
Hi guys,

I just wanted introduce myself. My name is Mike McKnight. Robert Holland, NAMBA President, has appointed me as the new NAMBA Scale Chairman. This is my second time in this position as I held it once in 2006-08. Unfortunately I was also the District Director for NAMBA District 9 and a CD for a Nationals in 2007 as well. I didn't have as much time to devote to the position as I would have liked. Now this is all I am doing. Scale is what brought me into RC Boating. I did it once in the early 80's. At that time I was also racing full sized outboards. My first priority is to update the NAMBA MHR for 1/8 scale and Gas. But I have also become well versed in the rules for FE in both 1/8 scale and 1/10 scale. Those that know me know I am a scale nut and I do not shy away from doing the detective work to solve a problem. If you need help or advice with anything please feel free to give me a holler. My email is mike.mcknight@prolinemedia.net or you can call me at 209-327-2842. Email usually works better as I am not always able to grab the phone. I look forward to being a resource and will help in any way I can. Thanks much!

Michael E. McKnight

JimClark
03-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Welcome Mike

rayzerdesigns
03-17-2015, 03:23 PM
so are curved shafts gonna be allowed for modern

RayR
03-17-2015, 05:24 PM
First question he got on Intl waters as well.

Mike McKnight
03-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Yes. As the rules state in section 28 in General section. The shaft can be any shaft but it has to be a straight line from where it exits the hull through the strut. But in the sub section under Modern it says any shaft can be used. When I spoke with Dave Newland about it basically he and I and Robert Holland as well are in agreement that any shaft/stuffing tube can be used. It really should have been spelled out a little better like is it for other classes where the words bent or articulated are used. But, the Vintage section does not have this provision so I read that as following the rule in the General section. So any bend would have to be prior to exiting the hull. I hope I answered this well enough for you.

rayzerdesigns
03-17-2015, 07:49 PM
thx mike

Coug90
03-17-2015, 11:40 PM
Welcome Mike! Nice to have you involved again. Jumped right in with a rules question for you there too I see. Love the scale boats. It's my thing too.

Mike McKnight
03-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Hey Mitch! Hey BTW I need to get with you on a build you are doing for a guy in SoCal. I'll email you later.

RayR
03-18-2015, 01:02 PM
I am a picture kind of guy. From your description the driveline in yellow is a legal setup, correct?

T.S.Davis
03-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Mike, nice to see you on here.

I have a Bradshaw 10th modern to do up. I'll probably order a Miss Spirit of Detroit graphic set from ya. You wouldn't happen to know the paint codes for that would you?

rayzerdesigns
03-18-2015, 03:43 PM
I am a picture kind of guy. From your description the driveline in yellow is a legal setup, correct?
Yes..that is correct

ron1950
03-18-2015, 04:06 PM
like I didn't have enough problams setting up my boats before this info...think ill wait and see what everyone else does...thanks Mike

T.S.Davis
03-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Ron, the boat that's in the mail to you was setup that way by Dave Newland. You wont be sorry.

Mike McKnight
03-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Yes Ray that drive line would be correct. Is that a mockup for a planned hull? Because the decals are for an 89 Winston and they are on a T6 type hull. TS I do not have the paint codes but I know a guy in MI that did a really sweet version of that boat I can try and get a hold of him and see what codes he has. Ron, using a flex or articulated shaft will help in the handling immensely. It'll flatten out your strut angle and keep you from having to add AOA to the ride pads to offset the angle of the strut.

ron1950
03-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Cant go wrong there ive heard of that guy lol

ron1950
03-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks mike boat should be here tomorrow and hopefully in one piece

RayR
03-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Yes Ray that drive line would be correct. Is that a mockup for a planned hull? Because the decals are for an 89 Winston and they are on a T6 type hull. TS I do not have the paint codes but I know a guy in MI that did a really sweet version of that boat I can try and get a hold of him and see what codes he has. Ron, using a flex or articulated shaft will help in the handling immensely. It'll flatten out your strut angle and keep you from having to add AOA to the ride pads to offset the angle of the strut.

mike,

just used that graphic because it was a direct side shot of a modern hull. I do have a special affinity for the 89 White Winston.

T.S.Davis
03-18-2015, 05:21 PM
TS I do not have the paint codes but I know a guy in MI that did a really sweet version of that boat I can try and get a hold of him and see what codes he has.

That's funny. I know the boat of which you speak. Not well but I saw it.

It cracks me up the way some of these boats have a history and almost a personality of their own.

Mike McKnight
03-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Ok gotcha. I like the White Winston too. Only one of those I had ever seen was a guy in WA with a 1/8 nitro version. TS there's a pic of the 2010 Spirit of Detroit that Dan Brandon did on my website. If you don't want that many decals I would go with the 2007 version.

rayzerdesigns
03-18-2015, 08:13 PM
what is yur website mike??

JimClark
03-18-2015, 08:17 PM
I believe this is Mikes site http://www.thunderboatgraphics.com/

Mike McKnight
03-18-2015, 08:26 PM
Oops sorry.... www.thunderboatgraphics.com